Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Calipari has accepted the Kentucky offer. In addition, Witherspoon and Sallie are transferring. At least two recruits will also go to Kentucky.

LEX18 - Lexington, KY - News, Weather, Sports - Calipari To Be New UK Basketball Coach

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-30-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #152
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yes, a 23 win season is considered mediocre in Austin these days. In Columbia, they've hit that number twice in the past 15 seasons.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-30-2009 at 09:10 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #153
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Calipari has accepted the Kentucky offer. In addition, Witherspoon and Sallie are transferring. At least two recruits will also go to Kentucky.

LEX18 - Lexington, KY - News, Weather, Sports - Calipari To Be New UK Basketball Coach

wow. Pretty unusual to establish that players are coming with you out of the gate, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

round 2!!!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #155
RainMaker
General Manager

The one odd thing about Calipari moving to UK is that he has literally the top 2 recruits in the country coming to Memphis next year (as well as another solid guard). That team will be loaded and should be a favorite to win it all. If those guys stay with Memphis, whoever takes that job will have one hell of a team to roll with.

I don't know why Few would leave Gonzaga. They've earned enough prominence in the country to recruit with the big boys. He's also got a lot more security there with an automatic bid almost guaranteed to him every year. They get a lot of TV games too. He could end up like Monson who burned out at a Big 10 school and is now coaching Long Beach State.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #156
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
wow. Pretty unusual to establish that players are coming with you out of the gate, isn't it?

Not really. They're free to transfer without any release to another conference. The recruits haven't signed a LOI, so they're free to do what they want. It shows just how much that the Memphis program is much more about the coach than the program. Those players weren't there because of Memphis. They were there because of Calipari.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

just another example of how laughable it is to consider basketball and football "amatuer" athletics.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #158
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The one odd thing about Calipari moving to UK is that he has literally the top 2 recruits in the country coming to Memphis next year (as well as another solid guard).

All three of the elite recruits plan to go with Calipari. Only one of them has signed a LOI and he reportedly will ask for a release, which will likely be granted. There will be no talent left when he's done moving the recruiting class to Kentucky plus at least two members of the current team.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #159
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The biggest news in that is Cousins may go with him to UK. He's the best Center going to college this year. Henry has signed a letter of intent so I'm not sure if he's allowed to take that back and go with Calipari.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
round 2!!!!!!!

I've got to go get my wife pregnant. You'll pardon my absence.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #161
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
All three of the elite recruits plan to go with Calipari. Only one of them has signed a LOI and he reportedly will ask for a release, which will likely be granted. There will be no talent left when he's done moving the recruiting class to Kentucky plus at least two members of the current team.

Damn, that's a coup for Kentucky. Not only do they bring in a prominent coach, but they literally have one of the most talented teams in the country now.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #162
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The biggest news in that is Cousins may go with him to UK. He's the best Center going to college this year. Henry has signed a letter of intent so I'm not sure if he's allowed to take that back and go with Calipari.

He's also got more dirty AAU baggage than any other recruit in this year's class. Missouri along with a couple other schools backed off him for that very reason. Too risky to recruit him given that he was likely a one and done player.

Henry can ask for a release. If the school grants it, which is very likely, he'll still be able to play this fall.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #163
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so what does UK need to do next year for the alumni to consider the hire a success?

Last edited by Lathum : 03-30-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #164
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
so what does KU need to do next year for the alumni to consider the hire a success?

Win an NBA Championship.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #165
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
There was a time when I was extremely angry that Depaul let Leitao go.

Hey, now DePaul has Wainwright and it's all good.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #166
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Some Memphis insiders are now reporting that Cal is having second thoughts about taking the UK job. His family really wants to stay in Memphis. But there is so much crap flying around right now that no one knows what to think.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #167
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know why Few would leave Gonzaga. They've earned enough prominence in the country to recruit with the big boys. He's also got a lot more security there with an automatic bid almost guaranteed to him every year. They get a lot of TV games too. He could end up like Monson who burned out at a Big 10 school and is now coaching Long Beach State.
Despite all the hype over Gonzaga, they've never been beyond the Sweet 16 under Few and have been bounced in the first 2 rounds 6 out of his 10 years. While they have virtually a guaranteed berth to the NCAA every year, and their national profile is quite high, they really aren't recruiting with the "big boys"; they haven't cracked the top-25 rated recruiting classes by Scout.com from 2005 on, and the only time they've cracked the top-25 by Rivals.com was #17 in 2007. By contrast, Washington has been top-25 every season from 2005 on by Rivals.com and all but one season from 2005 on by Scout.com.

Few would have access to better recruits and a greater chance at an NCAA title at a place like Arizona.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #168
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Win an NBA Championship.

Hey, wait a second- why are you dragging us into this (KU vs UK?)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #169
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
so what does UK need to do next year for the alumni to consider the hire a success?

The trustees expect you to contend for the FBCA championship.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #170
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Hey, now DePaul has Wainwright and it's all good.

Growing up my parents had season tickets to them and now I live a few blocks away from the campus. I would love to see DePaul get back to a respectable state. They should have stuck with C-USA.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #171
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Despite all the hype over Gonzaga, they've never been beyond the Sweet 16 under Few and have been bounced in the first 2 rounds 6 out of his 10 years. While they have virtually a guaranteed berth to the NCAA every year, and their national profile is quite high, they really aren't recruiting with the "big boys"; they haven't cracked the top-25 rated recruiting classes by Scout.com from 2005 on, and the only time they've cracked the top-25 by Rivals.com was #17 in 2007. By contrast, Washington has been top-25 every season from 2005 on by Rivals.com and all but one season from 2005 on by Scout.com.

Few would have access to better recruits and a greater chance at an NCAA title at a place like Arizona.

Recruiting classes are tough to judge. With so many one and done players, it's often better to be in the teens where most of the guys you recruit will be there all 4 years. He's shown over the years that his team can compete with the big boys and has a postseason resume that is better than most power conference schools this decade.

Of course there are benefits to the Pac-10, but he would have a lot more pressure. Missing the NCAA Tournament or getting bounced early a couple years in a row likely means getting the ax. At Gonzaga, he doesn't have that pressure.

I guess I just look at it from a job standpoint. I'd rather have that security and my name tied to a school for a long time. Gonzaga is a pretty nice gig for him. They have good prestige, a nice TV deal, and a newer arena. When you look at the coaches who moved from mid-majors to power conferences, most flame out in 5 years and end up somwhere crappy. All he has to do is look at Dan Monson who could have stayed at Gonzaga fora long time. He's now coaching Long Beach State. It's a pretty hefty risk if you ask me. If he was coaching UW-Milwaukee or something I'd understand, but Gonzaga is almost considered a major program these days.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-30-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With so many one and done players, it's often better to be in the teens where most of the guys you recruit will be there all 4 years.

See Tech comma Georgia.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #173
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Not really. They're free to transfer without any release to another conference. The recruits haven't signed a LOI, so they're free to do what they want. It shows just how much that the Memphis program is much more about the coach than the program. Those players weren't there because of Memphis. They were there because of Calipari.

Isn't that the case at 98% of the schools?

I am sure Columbia is a beautiful place and they will get a quality education at Mizzou but those kids are playing basketball at Missouri as much for Coach Anderson as the Memphis kids were playing for Coach Calipari.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #174
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Growing up my parents had season tickets to them and now I live a few blocks away from the campus. I would love to see DePaul get back to a respectable state. They should have stuck with C-USA.

In all seriousness, I've talked with one of my close friends at length about DePaul and what happens next for that program. I'm really surprised that Wainwright does not seem to have invested much recruiting time in the state, where there is traditionally a lot of talent.

Assuming Tucker sticks around, they should have their top three players back from this season (along with Koshwal and Walker). The Big East is going to lose quite a few players to graduation and/or early entry. I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility for them to pick up 6-8 conference wins next year. But I imagine that it is tough to sell hope to incoming kids when you just went 0-fer in conference play.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #175
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
In all seriousness, I've talked with one of my close friends at length about DePaul and what happens next for that program. I'm really surprised that Wainwright does not seem to have invested much recruiting time in the state, where there is traditionally a lot of talent.

Assuming Tucker sticks around, they should have their top three players back from this season (along with Koshwal and Walker). The Big East is going to lose quite a few players to graduation and/or early entry. I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility for them to pick up 6-8 conference wins next year. But I imagine that it is tough to sell hope to incoming kids when you just went 0-fer in conference play.

Yeah, they should be better next year. I'm more worried about Koshwal going pro since he has an NBA frame. The Wilson Chandler jump really hurt them. If he had hung around they probably would have been a tournament team at some point.

Wainright is never going to be succesful here. The only way DePaul can succeed is by nabbing solid local recruits. The last good team they had featured 3 Chicago recruits in Bobby Simmons, Quentin Richardson, and Paul McPherson. They need to be able to do that consistently.

Another problem they have is All-State Arena. It's just too far from campus and they dont' really have a home court advantage. It worked fine in the 80's wheny they had Comedgys and Strickland to bring in fans, but no one really wants to trek out there for this team. I'd love to either see a new on-campus facility or them just play more home games at Alumni Hall (which they could upgrade a bit more). They can always play half a dozen games at the United Center and/or All-State Arena.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #176
hoopsguy
General Manager

A couple of problems with the on-campus facility for DePaul:
1.) Where do you put it? Land is really developed in that neck of the woods and very expensive.
2.) How do you fund it, even if you can find a place to put it?

I do not know how they solve that one in the short term. Recruiting is something that DePaul can improve upon, but I just do not hear anything about him making the inroads locally. They are pursuing Darius Smith, but that is about the only top ten in-state talent in any of the last three classes where I've heard their name. And Smith was a "late bloomer" in that he wasn't on the radar for most people until the start of his senior year.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #177
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
A couple of problems with the on-campus facility for DePaul:
1.) Where do you put it? Land is really developed in that neck of the woods and very expensive.
2.) How do you fund it, even if you can find a place to put it?

I do not know how they solve that one in the short term. Recruiting is something that DePaul can improve upon, but I just do not hear anything about him making the inroads locally. They are pursuing Darius Smith, but that is about the only top ten in-state talent in any of the last three classes where I've heard their name. And Smith was a "late bloomer" in that he wasn't on the radar for most people until the start of his senior year.

1) Good question. There have been a lot of ideas floated around. There is a nice chunk of land directly to the West of campus that is being used for off-campus housing (between Belden and Racine). The city also owns a lot of good land near campus that is being unused (such as the lot near Lane Tech). It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for CPS to sell that land and build a new school closer to Cabrini.

2) DePaul isn't exactly a poor school. The Big East money they are bringing in is helping a lot. Building it would be risky, but the goal would ultimately be to make them more competitive and get better money through local TV/radio deals (does DePaul even have a TV deal these days?).

Any new arena would require some deal with the city though. The UIC Pavillion is getting a bit old and there is some space to perhaps grab some of the events they typically get (WNBA, concerts, smaller sports leagues). The new arena could be the facility local high school teams as well. There is of course naming rights which can be fairly lucrative. I think there is a void for a north side arena that can hold some unique events.

I went to a game a few years back at McGrath/Alumni (whatever it's called) and the place was rocking. It was college basketball at its finest. A small arena in Lincoln Park would be a huge home court advantage for them. I guarantee they pick up 5-6 wins a year based on that alone. All-State is just a bad college basketball experience. The stadium is getting old and rundown and none of the college kids attend the games. The lease is up in 2012 anyway.

If DePaul won't buid a new arena, then I feel it's best for them to drop down to Conference USA. They just can't compete in the Big East with that setup. They can build up a nice mid-major of something. I still think the school can be a powerhouse like it used to be. Chicago is a hot bed for talent and if you can entice a couple kids a year to stay home and play in a great college basketball environment, there is no reason they can't turn into a contender in the Big East. Living and playing in the city of Chicago is a unique experience that not many schools in this country can offer.

A good model DePaul could follow is Xavier. They put a lot of money into the program years ago and it paid off. They built their arena for under $50 million.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-31-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #178
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Then you'd have to throw out Missouri's Elite Eight run in 1994 due to Jevon Crudup being declared inelligible for getting benefits from an agent while at Missouri.

Quote:
1973 and 2008 have been their only significant runs (1985 was thrown out of the books).
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #179
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a fan of Texas, but I'd rather have the high expectations of the Longhorns vs the low expectations of the Tigers. If you have high expectations then that means you've been doing something right in recent years and will likely continue doing something right despite some setbacks due to players opting for the NBA.

Quote:
I'd downplay the relatively mediocre play of my team as well given the high expectations. Thank God for spring football in Austin.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #180
Butter
Coordinator

Re: the DePaul discussion... Dayton fans have been going on for YEARS about how good an all-Catholic league would be... I can't imagine the Big East will carry on in a 16-team incarnation forever... can it?

That said, I am pretty shocked at how low DePaul basketball is right now. This was a team that was regularly in the top 10 as an independent... they have been sliding down for a while, and this season had to be the bottom.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM   #181
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I'm not a fan of Texas, but I'd rather have the high expectations of the Longhorns vs the low expectations of the Tigers. If you have high expectations then that means you've been doing something right in recent years and will likely continue doing something right despite some setbacks due to players opting for the NBA.

But low expectations at Mizzou is only a recent thing. Mizzou had been to the NCAA tournament 21 times in 27 years before Quin send the program into a downward spiral with his antics. MU was a NCAA regular before that. Also, even with the rough time Mizzou has had recently, they've had three players leave early for the NBA. Keyon Dooling, Kareem Rush, and Linas Kleiza were all early departures. But those players weren't the reason for Mizzou's setbacks as they were obviously very talented. The setbacks were all Quin Snyder.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #182
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Re: the DePaul discussion... Dayton fans have been going on for YEARS about how good an all-Catholic league would be... I can't imagine the Big East will carry on in a 16-team incarnation forever... can it?

That said, I am pretty shocked at how low DePaul basketball is right now. This was a team that was regularly in the top 10 as an independent... they have been sliding down for a while, and this season had to be the bottom.

What happened to DePaul? Was Pat Kennedy part of the problem? I remember when he took FSU to the NCAA tournament a couple of years in a row back in the late 90s (not to mention an Elite Eight appearance around 1992 with Bobby Sura and Charlie Ward), and he basically wanted a "coach for life"-type extension, and when the school wouldn't give it to him, he bolted for DePaul. I lost track of him after that. Did he suck it up with DePaul?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #183
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
See Also:
Larry Shyatt 70-84 .455 1998-03

And Id say Clemson is more comparable to UVa than NC State...other than the Sampson years UVA has never been real relevent where as NCSU actually ha a basketball legacy.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of Shyatt. Maybe there was a talent discrepancy, but I don't think teams were annoyed playing the Shyatt Clemson teams (except for maybe North Carolina) like teams were playing against Sendek. (This may be my perception. As I think you know, I'm a Georgia Tech fan and Hewitt and Cremins both had miserable records against Sendek.)

On the relevance point, pre-1980 I certainly agree with you that NCSU had more history. Since then, I think UVA has been on par with them. The Hoos had a sustained run from the Sampson years until Jeff Jones started getting caught with sorority girls in the late 90s where they didn't miss the tournament, made the sweet 16 several times and landed in the final four twice 81 and 84. (NCSU of course has the national championship in that time, but not much else.)

Last edited by digamma : 03-31-2009 at 10:18 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #184
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No, it's not absurd, viewed through the prism most people use, which is "what have you done for me lately?" In the past five years, Wazzu has been much more significant than UVA, and the guy UVA hired is a key reason for it.

So UVA fans bitching about his hire need to do their homework, and not make themselves out to be above it all.

As for the bolded part above, please point out to me where I said this.

I didn't say you said the bolded part. It was a general you.

I'd certainly argue the point that Washington State has been MUCH more significant than UVA in the last five years. Heck, I'd argue the point that they've been ANY more significant. In 2005 and 2006, Washington State had losing seasons. If I'm not mistaken, Virginia was an NIT both seasons. In 2007, they had a break through year and I think earned a 3rd seed in the tournament. Virginia that year? ACC regular season champs and a fifth seed in the tournament. No real difference.

Last year Washington State made the tournament again and Virginia played in the CBI. There's a difference.

This year Washington State made the NIT and Virginia had a bad year. Thus, the coaching change. So, you might have two years where Washington State has been more "significant." But by any measure longer than that Virginia is a better program and a step up for Bennett.

The reason UVA fans are underwhelmed by the hire is that it isn't a glamour hire. It isn't someone from an up and coming program. Some of the luster from the 2006 season has worn off Bennett. Virginia fans had also been spoon fed Tubby's name for several weeks.

I think it is a good hire because it shows a real change of direction for Virginia. They are sort of recognizing that they aren't going to compete year in, year out for recruits with North Carolina and Duke. But, they may beat them on the court with their system. That may not generate a lot of initial excitement from the fan base, but it could be a good long term decision.

Incidentally, one rumbling from UVA fans is that the initial excitement in a coach was a must in a hire. They have a newish arena (two or three years old) that they are still making tons of payments on, so ROI is pretty important in Hooville.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #185
Ksyrup

From the Memphis paper:

Quote:
Geoff Calkins: Tigers' Calipari to make decision this afternoon about Kentucky

By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Originally published 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009
Updated 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009

John Calipari told friends at a Memphis donut shop this morning he would make his decision about the Kentucky job "this afternoon."

And, yes, that is what this has come to: Tracking the man to a donut shop.

Calipari dropped by to see a collection of buddies at Gibson's Donuts at Mt. Moriah at 9:35 this morning.

Unbeknownst to him, The Commercial Appeal had a source -- we'll call him Deep Crueller -- at a nearby table.

Calipari stayed for exactly eight minutes. In that span, he said:

** In addition to Kentucky, Arizona came after him over the weekend offering not a salary but a blank check. Calipari said, "No thanks."

** He was in the Memphis Athletic Office Building yesterday but slipped out a side door.

** He loves Memphis but is drawn to the history and prestige of Kentucky. Calipari said it's one of five programs -- along with North Carolina, Duke, UCLA and Kansas -- any coach would have to consider.

Nobody actually came out and asked Calipari if he was leaving, but he said he hadn't made up his mind. He was going to drive around Memphis today and decide this afternoon.

If you're into reading tea leaves -- or coffee grounds, if you prefer -- Calipari did say two things that should have Memphis fans worried.

"Things will be OK here," he said.

And also: "Taking the job is the easy part of the decision. Leaving here is the hard part."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #186
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That source is a little dubious. I know some people in the Arizona AD department and it would be physically impossible for them to offer Calipari a blank check. The board only allows a max 5-year deal and the parameters (I've been told) cap out at $2.5-3 million. So, if a Memphis paper's "source" is saying Calipari got offered more than $3 million from Arizona, they are full of it.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #187
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks like another big winner this week could be Mike Anderson. ESPN is reporting that Anderson has an offer from Georgia for more than $2 million a season (5 years was said on the radio). This comes right after Missouri was prepared to offer him a 5-year deal averaging $1.3 million.

It also links Anderson to the Memphis opening. At the end of the day, it's a good time to be Mike Anderson. Regardless of where he lands, he's going to be making north of $2 million per season:

Georgia Bulldogs eye Missouri Tigers' Mike Anderson as next coach - ESPN
Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #188
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
That source is a little dubious. I know some people in the Arizona AD department and it would be physically impossible for them to offer Calipari a blank check. The board only allows a max 5-year deal and the parameters (I've been told) cap out at $2.5-3 million. So, if a Memphis paper's "source" is saying Calipari got offered more than $3 million from Arizona, they are full of it.

It could be that they told him to name his price, with the idea that they would go back and work to get it approved quickly.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #189
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Looks like another big winner this week could be Mike Anderson. ESPN is reporting that Anderson has an offer from Georgia for more than $2 million a season (5 years was said on the radio). This comes right after Missouri was prepared to offer him a 5-year deal averaging $1.3 million.

It also links Anderson to the Memphis opening. At the end of the day, it's a good time to be Mike Anderson. Regardless of where he lands, he's going to be making north of $2 million per season:

Georgia Bulldogs eye Missouri Tigers' Mike Anderson as next coach - ESPN

Couple of points to make that were not made clear in that article.

1. The $1.3M offer from Mizzou is base salary and was the starting point for negotiations. The $2M offer supposedly from Georgia includes all bonuses. The real base salary offer from Georgia is around $1.5M. So the difference isn't nearly as big as that article indicates (around $200K). As we speak, Mike Anderson is currently in a room at the Hearnes Center with Mike Alden (Mizzou AD) negotiating a contract. Don't know whether we'll hear anything today or not.

2. There's some pretty good info circulating that Anderson and Capel's agents are deeply involved with the circulation of these contract numbers. They're both using Georgia to get the amounts they want from their current schools. In the end, it's likely that neither Capel nor Anderson end up at Georgia.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #190
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
But low expectations at Mizzou is only a recent thing. Mizzou had been to the NCAA tournament 21 times in 27 years before Quin send the program into a downward spiral with his antics. MU was a NCAA regular before that. Also, even with the rough time Mizzou has had recently, they've had three players leave early for the NBA. Keyon Dooling, Kareem Rush, and Linas Kleiza were all early departures. But those players weren't the reason for Mizzou's setbacks as they were obviously very talented. The setbacks were all Quin Snyder.

Once again, the facts do not back up your statements. In the 27 years before Snyder, Mizzou went to the NCAA tourney 16 times. They went to the NIT 4 times, and the NCIT (only held in 1974 and 1975) once. In Stewart's last four seasons at Mizzou, they missed the post season once, went to the NIT twice, and the Big Dance once. In Snyder's first four seasons, they went to the NCAA tourney each of the four seasons, making the Elite Eight once. The program was in decline at the end of Stewart's tenure, and Snyder was on the verge of turning the program around before screwing things up.

Missouri Tigers men's basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #191
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Couple of points to make that were not made clear in that article.

1. The $1.3M offer from Mizzou is base salary and was the starting point for negotiations. The $2M offer supposedly from Georgia includes all bonuses. The real base salary offer from Georgia is around $1.5M. So the difference isn't nearly as big as that article indicates (around $200K). As we speak, Mike Anderson is currently in a room at the Hearnes Center with Mike Alden (Mizzou AD) negotiating a contract. Don't know whether we'll hear anything today or not.

2. There's some pretty good info circulating that Anderson and Capel's agents are deeply involved with the circulation of these contract numbers. They're both using Georgia to get the amounts they want from their current schools. In the end, it's likely that neither Capel nor Anderson end up at Georgia.

I hope Missouri steps up.. I'm assuming Laurie is in this meeting as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #192
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Before Calipari came to the school, Mizzou was a clear leader.

By what measure was Missouri a clear leader over Memphis prior to the 2000-2001 season?

Tournament appearances? Mizzou 17, Memphis 15.
Tournament Wins? Mizzou 13, Memphis 18
Final Fours? Memphis 2, Mizzou 0

Not sure I see anything that clearly indicates Missouri as clearly having a better history than Memphis.

Is it beacuse they play in a better conference? Prior to 1995, Memphis was part of the Missouri Valley and Metro conferences. In the context of the times, those were MAJOR basketball conferences, on pretty much equal footing with the Big 8/12. For example, the Metro made 7 final fours in the 1980's, the Big Eight made 3.

The history lists appear pretty similar, with the exception of Memphis' two final fours, which would put them way ahead. Whether you like it or not (and I know you won't because it does make Mizzou look like less than they have been) Final Four appearances are a major measuring stick for basketball programs. You want to throw out the vacated 1985 appearance, but we all know they made it. I am not a big fan of revisionist history.

Note I am not arguing against the idea that its a step down for Anderson RIGHT NOW. I think it is. We are not playing in history, we are playing now. I agree with your assertion that Memphis' success has all been about Cal, and they will go back to mid-major status. However, making the statement that Mizzou had a clearly better basketball history than Memphis prior to Cal is riduculous.

The speculation about Memphis' players and recruits all following Cal to UK is pretty amazing.

First of all, Kentucky has only one senior. They have 4 recruits coming in. I am pretty sure they have their scholarship limit for next year, or are within 1 or 2. Now, I am sure with the coaching change they'll lose some, between pro declarations, transfers and decommits. The 7 players who are reported to all be coming with Cal? I sincerely doubt it. The recruits who signed with UK are not as likely to bolt, as they have nowhere to go to follow Gillespie. If he goes to, say, Georgia, UK will definitely not let them out of their scholarships to go there. My guess is he does not work this year and UK keeps the recruits.

Secondly, there are tons of reports that none of Memphis recruits but Henry signed LOI's. According to rivals and Memphis' press releases, all but Cousins did. Also reported is the one of the recruits' mother's claimed their LOI had an addendum. I am fairly sure that's not true - its a standard form, you have to sign THIS for it to be an official LOI. Now, the school may have made him that promise, and may have even made it in writing, but I doubt the actual LOI was altered in any way.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #193
Ksyrup

I think you'll see some massive upheaval in UK's roster if Calipari comes and he brings recruits with him. This is from Andy Katz's column:

Quote:
• Kentucky had some funny math even before the flirtation with John Calipari. The Wildcats had one scholarship open but signed three players under Billy Gillispie, meaning there had to be attrition either through the NBA draft, transfers or scholarships not being renewed. Whoever is the new coach is likely going to have roster-upheaval privileges. Remember, scholarships are technically renewable every season.

Sucks for the kids, but my guess is some of the pineasses on this year's team may be looking for another school. At least, that seems to be the preference of most fans, I can assure you!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #194
Ksyrup

Perhaps this is finally coming to an end?

Quote:
Memphis station reports that Calipari is leaving for UK

WREG in Memphis is reporting that John Calipari is leaving Memphis to become head coach at Kentucky.

Here’s the report:
News Channel 3 has learned from a source very close to the situation that U of M coach John Calipari is leaving. Right now, Calipari is at his home meeting with members of his staff explaining the decision. We have live crews stationed in the area as well as working with our sister station in Lexington, KY.
The story posted 10 minutes ago.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I hope Missouri steps up.. I'm assuming Laurie is in this meeting as well.

Laurie is not in the meeting. Some Mizzou fans may be surprised by this, but there are two donors that have ponied up more money to the university than he does for things like this involving athletics. It's just that they remain anonymous unlike Laurie. He wants everyone to know when he gives money, even though it's actually his wife's money.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #196
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think you'll see some massive upheaval in UK's roster if Calipari comes and he brings recruits with him. This is from Andy Katz's column:

Sucks for the kids, but my guess is some of the pineasses on this year's team may be looking for another school. At least, that seems to be the preference of most fans, I can assure you!

I am sure Gillespie was counting on Patterson and/or Meeks going pro, and some of the leftovers transferring.

As a side note, I am amazed that the LOI's guarantee the recruits scholarships for next year (they are not revokable by the school) but that current players with scholarships are not guaranteed. If a school over books, and no one goes pro or transfers, they HAVE to boot current players.

It just seems like such bad PR these days to cancel a player's scholarship, yet clearly UK is going to have to do that for a few kids.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The speculation about Memphis' players and recruits all following Cal to UK is pretty amazing.

First of all, Kentucky has only one senior. They have 4 recruits coming in. I am pretty sure they have their scholarship limit for next year, or are within 1 or 2. Now, I am sure with the coaching change they'll lose some, between pro declarations, transfers and decommits. The 7 players who are reported to all be coming with Cal? I sincerely doubt it. The recruits who signed with UK are not as likely to bolt, as they have nowhere to go to follow Gillespie. If he goes to, say, Georgia, UK will definitely not let them out of their scholarships to go there. My guess is he does not work this year and UK keeps the recruits.

Agree that they won't release them to a SEC school. Any other schools will be allowed a free transfer.

I sincerely doubt that Gillespie goes anywhere of note after what has come out regard his antics at Kentucky. He'll end up at a smaller college and will have to rebuild his career.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #198
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I am sure Gillespie was counting on Patterson and/or Meeks going pro, and some of the leftovers transferring.

As a side note, I am amazed that the LOI's guarantee the recruits scholarships for next year (they are not revokable by the school) but that current players with scholarships are not guaranteed. If a school over books, and no one goes pro or transfers, they HAVE to boot current players.

It just seems like such bad PR these days to cancel a player's scholarship, yet clearly UK is going to have to do that for a few kids.

Ironically it will probably be those kids who really and truly wanted to play for Kentucky no matter who the coach was.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #199
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It happens much more frequently than most probably realize, especially in football. One of the ways Miami was able to build so quickly after probation was cutting scholarships for the kids who either didn't pan out or weren't working hard enough. There's been speculation that FSU will be doing the same to try to keep from falling.

UK definitely won't be the only school doing it this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mike Anderson and his wife have told Mike Alden that they want to stay at Mizzou. Contract is nearly complete and should be finalized in the next 24-36 hours. Expect an extention announcement before the end of the week.

Here's an article discussing the situation, though it doesn't have all of the information I just mentioned above. You'll note that Anderson's agent wishes that Georgia HAD made an offer. That's obviously because it would help their negotiating power..........

Alden has contract talks with Anderson, hopes for quick resolution - Kansas City Star

Quote:
Alden has contract talks with Anderson, hopes for quick resolution
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

Missouri athletic director Mike Alden had contract talks with men’s basketball coach Mike Anderson on Tuesday morning in Columbia and expressed a desire to wrap up negotiations as soon as possible.

“If it was completely up to me,” Alden told The Star, “you’d want to get that completed today.”

Pressed for his level of confidence on when Missouri and Anderson might agree to terms on a contract extension, and for a timetable when that might take place, Alden said: “I would hope so. And within the next couple of days.”

Earlier Tuesday, ESPN — citing “multiple sources” — reported Georgia officials have offered Anderson a multi-year contract that would pay him more than $2 million per season.

Alden said his only knowledge of that claim was the ESPN report, e-mailed to him by a friend. Asked whether Anderson had been in Athens, Ga., on Monday talking to Georgia officials, Alden said: “I have no knowledge of that.”

“What we want to focus on is what we can do at Mizzou,” Alden said. “Not on other schools.”

Late Tuesday morning, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution posted a story on its Web site in which Anderson’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, was quoted as saying the ESPN report regarding a Georgia offer was “absolutely inaccurate.”

“Georgia hasn’t offered him the job,” Sexton told the Journal-Constitution. “I wish they had. They haven’t said the job is his.”

Sexton reiterated that Anderson is talking about an extension with Missouri, although Memphis and Georgia have been the subject of speculative interest in Anderson.

“All of these opportunities have their pluses and minuses,” Sexton said. “He’s got it turned around at Missouri. He’s got great players there now. Memphis is a great situation and Mike has connections there.

“Georgia appears to want to make a commitment to basketball and Damon (Evans, Georgia athletic director) probably has the most to offer. But Georgia hasn’t won consistently over the years and you wonder what the reason is for that.”

Sexton said Anderson is “in a sorting-out process right now.”

Alden said he and Anderson discussed a contract extension on Sunday, and again on Tuesday morning. Alden said such talks have been ongoing for more than a month.

The Star has reported MU sources as saying an anticipated three-year extension of Anderson’s current contract, which has two years remaining, would call for a guaranteed salary in the area of $1.3 million per year.

Alden said he has discussed specific numbers with Anderson but would neither confirm that number nor characterize the $1.3 million as a ceiling.

“We look at what is fiscally responsible for us,” Alden said. “What’s fair for us and for Coach.

“We love what he’s doing here. It’s our hope that he’ll be here for some time.”

Anderson coached the Tigers to a breakthrough 31-7 season in his third year at Missouri. Mizzou won its first Big 12 conference tournament and rolled to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament before falling to No. 1 seed Connecticut 82-75 on Saturday in the West Regional final in Glendale, Ariz.

The Star could not immediately reach Anderson for comment. However, on Monday, at a welcome back gathering at Mizzou Arena, Anderson spoke of Missouri’s hopes to make another deep run in the NCAA Tournament and attain at least another opportunity to make it to the school’s first Final Four.

“They want to get back there,” Anderson said, “so I know we’ll have their attention in terms of doing the things to get back there.”

Late Tuesday morning, an MU booster long involved with support of the basketball program, told The Star that: “Several weeks ago (MU athletic officials) talked to several big donors seeking more funds for this. I think it will get done.”

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-31-2009 at 01:31 PM.