Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #151
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well then actually do some of the story .

It's their way of getting you to do what they spent a ton of time coming up with, ya jerk!

I want to play their game! Let me play the game I WANT TO PLAY IT.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
I want to play their game! Let me play the game I WANT TO PLAY IT.

Then the easy answer is make your own.

As you said "their game". How many people say let me go to where ever in Call of Duty? Just because they have a sandbox style, doesn't mean they have to open it all up at once. They want you to earn the ability to go to the other areas. It's their game.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #153
wade moore
lolzcat

That's the big complaint? That's really not a HUGE deal imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #154
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think the value of 'unlockables' depend on the game. For example, the fact that Wario Ware, a game designed completely for multiplayer party fun, comes with multiplayer LOCKED is insane. Yes, the single player game is short, but it still ruined it for my friends and I when we rented it and discovered we couldn't play against each other that night.

GTA having the city locked drives me crazy because the whole idea behind that game is sandbox. Don't give me a sandbox but keep me from playing in half of it until I build the appropriate number of castles on the original side, that is bullshit.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #155
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think the value of 'unlockables' depend on the game. For example, the fact that Wario Ware, a game designed completely for multiplayer party fun, comes with multiplayer LOCKED is insane. Yes, the single player game is short, but it still ruined it for my friends and I when we rented it and discovered we couldn't play against each other that night.

GTA having the city locked drives me crazy because the whole idea behind that game is sandbox. Don't give me a sandbox but keep me from playing in half of it until I build the appropriate number of castles on the original side, that is bullshit.

look on the bright side...you are only paying 60 bucks for it
Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #156
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

I agree. Same with Smash Bros. And wrestling games.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #157
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Then the easy answer is make your own.

As you said "their game". How many people say let me go to where ever in Call of Duty? Just because they have a sandbox style, doesn't mean they have to open it all up at once. They want you to earn the ability to go to the other areas. It's their game.

I just want to play the game and relax, that's why I stopped playing MMORPG after 5 years of Ultima Online, I don't want to have to feel like I'm doing work, give me; the person buying your game for 60 bucks the option to roam freely and play. It does NOT hurt the game allowing me to do so.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #158
Critch
lolzcat

When I saw that gif I didn't think "Oooh, an appearing tree!". I thought "Oooooh, pretty game!! I want!! I want!! I want!!".

Any more lovely gifs?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #159
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
look on the bright side...you are only paying 60 bucks for it

I think I hear sarcasm there.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
That's the big complaint? That's really not a HUGE deal imo.

Let's not go crazy here. Most reviews are giving the game the same score despite the minor differences. It's a minor beef, but it's not a game killer. The main problem with it is that most gamers assumed with the next-gen systems that we were passed the pop-up graphics that hurt the immersion in the game. Obviously, that's not the case.......yet.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #161
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I think I hear sarcasm there.

just a little

On vice city for the pc I'd just load it, enter the cheat code for unlimited weapons and let the fun begin.

I have no patience for the tedium of some of those missions.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just want to play the game and relax, that's why I stopped playing MMORPG after 5 years of Ultima Online, I don't want to have to feel like I'm doing work, give me; the person buying your game for 60 bucks the option to roam freely and play. It does NOT hurt the game allowing me to do so.

Well in their opinion, having some portions of the game locked allows a feeling of accomplishment when you actually unlock them and benefits the gameplay if that limitation is there.

I have to agree. I always enjoy unlocking the next portion of the game.

I mean, really, it's already free-er than 99% of the games out there.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #163
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah I agree with Mizzou here. Something like this just hurts immersion a bit. But if all is the same between the 360 and PS3 version, then this hurts the 360 version a bit. I want to know what this frickin' exclusive content is already.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah I agree with Mizzou here. Something like this just hurts immersion a bit. But if all is the same between the 360 and PS3 version, then this hurts the 360 version a bit. I want to know what this frickin' exclusive content is already.

I've heard rumblings from a few people that Rockstar, not Microsoft, is the reason that there hasn't been any info on what the exclusive DLC will contain. Rockstar has been keeping a lid on the info and trailers, limiting them to only 4 trailers and keeping details under wraps. If Rockstar is trying to do the same with the DLC, it's a killer for Microsoft. I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to tell people how great it's going to be and they'd like to do it before the launch day.

Here's a recently posted article about Rockstar's control over what has been released (and not released):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352835,00.html
Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #165
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Icy, I'm assuming you don't have the game yet? I'm interested in your online experience since the PS3 version has region-free online play. Wanted to see if there was any major lag when playing on the North American servers.

I don't have it yet, the manager at the shop where i preorder it is the only legal manager in Spain and won't sell it until tomorrow. I have read and seen pics that prove that hundreds of Spanish bought it all around the country, but i'll need to wait until tomorrow morning.

For what i have read, nobody wants to try it online today after the rumor of an user banned for a week from the PSN network for playing it one day before the release date.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #166
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Here is an article comparing both versions:

http://kotaku.com/384422/which-versi...d-360-versions

Edit to add:

The game is estimated to have cost over 100 million dollars to make:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2978.html

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-28-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #167
Anthony
Banned

too bad there wasn't a way to take in-game pics or even video clips and upload them, like you could in NCAA 2k8. how awesome would that be?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #168
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I thought that Jack Thompson was barred from campaigning against GTA4. He's now saying that GTA4 is the gravest threat to children since polio. :looney:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-ally-ign.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #169
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think he's barred from suing GTA.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #170
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So who is going at midnight?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #171
Flasch186
Coordinator

some cool info on it:

Quote:
1. iTunes killer?

Ever hear a random song on the radio and wish you could somehow snag it right then and there? If you're cruising around Liberty City, you can. In a video game first, Rockstar has teamed up with Amazon to let users mark any song they hear playing over the game's radio simply by making an in-game phone call. A few button-presses later, and the song will be waiting in your Amazon MP3 account. There's a lot here, too, as the soundtrack features over 150 songs spanning over a dozen genres, including exclusive tracks written just for the game by artists like Nas and The Greenskeepers in addition to plenty of obscure, hard-to-find material. Get the full lowdown here.

2. If looks could kill...

GTA IV sports an upgraded version of Rockstar's proprietary RAGE Graphics Engine (also used to power Table Tennis), which finally replaces Renderware under the GTA hood. RAGE now features a heavily-customized version of Natural Motion's "Euphoria" physics engine, the same one powering LucasArts' Jedi battle royale, The Force Unleashed. Put the two technologies together and you get seriously cinematic movement, gunplay, climbing, and driving. And say goodbye to long, ponderous load times - despite the sheer size and amazing level of detail in Liberty City (every street has a name and every business has an actual address), the first load is the only one you'll see.

3. Live a Little

Let's face it: stealing cars and blowing stuff up gets, well, kinda boring. Luckily, there's way, way more to do in GTA IV than just be a troublesome criminal. Call up your buddies for a game of darts, or a few beers at the local pub, or even a nice wholesome game of bowling. Using the indispensable new cell phone, you can initiate plans with any of your good (and not so good) pals, effectively creating the action rather than having it come to you all the time. Be careful, though, because those relationships you build function like they should. Ignore too many calls and you might find that the price of guns from your handy arms dealer just went up. And in case you suddenly develop a conscience, you can even dial 911 to arrest a ne'er do well or request an ambulance for an injured citizen. How he got hurt in the first place, we don't wanna know.

4. One is the loneliest number.

Most accomplished criminals prefer to work alone, but in GTA IV you'll have a chance to test yourself against other players in over a dozen multiplayer modes. Though many of the details are still under wraps, we have it on good authority that the game will support up to 16 players and feature everything from typical Deathmatch variants to several racing games, and of course, it's all accessible through that trusty cell phone. Expect more multiplayer news in the coming weeks.

5. It aims to please.

One of the chief complaints in past GTA games was the wonky aiming system; trying to switch targets was like steering a boat through mud. That's all changed in GTA IV thanks to a slick new targeting scheme that lets you change targets just by flicking the analog stick. If you still find yourself outmatched, a new cover system lets you slide behind a wall and blind fire into the glut of enemies trying to ruin your day. If you can't pull over before you get into a shootout, have no fear -- any weapon in the game can be fired while behind the wheel. So don't drive angry!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #172
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The game is estimated to have cost over 100 million dollars to make:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2978.html

Shenmue is no longer the most expensive game ever made then. And GTA4 will actually make the money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo

haha that's exactly how I felt after renting WarioWare, there's no reason anything on that game should have been locked at the start. For whatever reason it doesn't bug me so much in GTA, but then again I'm a fan of the traditional single-player mode as much as simply driving around causing mayhem.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #173
korme
Go Reds

Is it safe to say I will probably not be able to buy this tomorrow? As in, I should have pre-ordered?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #174
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Is it safe to say I will probably not be able to buy this tomorrow? As in, I should have pre-ordered?

I can't imagine it'll be hard to find.

The only place games like this are hard to find is Gamestop/Ebgames as they get off on this whole pre-order deal.

I would think other stores will be getting loads of copies in.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #175
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So who is going at midnight?

I am, I slept in today and will likely be up late tonight and have a Gamestop preorder. I didn't do that intentionally or specifically to play GTA4, but, its a nice side effect

Last edited by Radii : 04-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #176
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I pre-ordered at Target, so they don't open until 8 A.M.

I will be staying up all night and be there at 8 A.M. though.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #177
Calis
College Starter

I managed to not read much of anything about this or get interested at all until a couple days ago.

Now I can't wait. I'm thinking of excuses to take the day off tomorrow, and then attempt to hunt it down and play all day.

I still can't decide if I want to go PS3 or 360 on the version.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #178
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I managed to not read much of anything about this or get interested at all until a couple days ago.

Now I can't wait. I'm thinking of excuses to take the day off tomorrow, and then attempt to hunt it down and play all day.

I still can't decide if I want to go PS3 or 360 on the version.

w0rd.

Just went and pre-ordered at Gamestop. It's going to take every bone in my body to not call out of work tomorrow.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #179
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Since I pretty much make my own schedule, and have nothing going on tomorrow at all, I could sit and play it all day and night.

Except I don't have a working 360 right now. It was sent off today to some place online. Hopefully it's a legit repair company. I hope to have it by the end of the week or early next week. I am going to get the game ASAP though so I don't have to worry about it being available when I get my 360 back.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #180
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post

We are going to have a metric assload of both versions in at work tomorrow, and while we had a presell program, I can't imagine we presold THAT many.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #181
General Mike
Pro Starter

someone give me a PS3.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #182
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
someone give me a PS3.

Would a broken PS2 work for you?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
We are going to have a metric assload of both versions in at work tomorrow, and while we had a presell program, I can't imagine we presold THAT many.

Yeah... every single game that has massive demand will usually have massive orders by stores. So you'll likely find a copy and even on the first day. Walmart or Target may have stacks of it.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #184
Radii
Head Coach

no bumps since midnight!? Ahhh its good to be an unemployed slob sometimes. I had to read a couple docs for a conference call that I have tomorrow(that I would be way too prone to not take care of if I started playing first), firing it up now, impressions before bed perhaps.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #185
Groundhog
Coordinator

Debating picking it up this afternoon. Most stores have it selling for $120AU ($111ish US$), but one particular store has it for $78, which is damn good, but a bit of a trip to get there... hmmms.... Just got my PS3 hooked up to my new 22" monitor too, can't wait.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #186
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Debating picking it up this afternoon. Most stores have it selling for $120AU ($111ish US$), but one particular store has it for $78, which is damn good, but a bit of a trip to get there... hmmms.... Just got my PS3 hooked up to my new 22" monitor too, can't wait.

Isn't the Aussie version heavily edited and censored? If so, plus the cheaper import price, it seems better to order it from the US.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #187
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Isn't the Aussie version heavily edited and censored? If so, plus the cheaper import price, it seems better to order it from the US.

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out - I didn't realise. Earlier in the year I'd read that it was to be uncensored, so looks like that changed somewhere along the line.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #188
Radii
Head Coach

started feeling some motion sickness after about 60 minutes of play. Its good so far, but I'm still going through the tutorial style stuff and remembering how to drive efficiently. I forgot how badly the available cars early in the game handle. I'm watching all the cut scenes and taking my time, so far at least. I've never had motion sickness issues in a GTA game before, but the TV here is a bit smaller than I'm used to. Gonna try some Ginger pills as seen on Mythbusters tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #189
Icy
Pro Starter

10 minutes until the shop where i preordered opens, getting ready to go for it.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #190
Icy
Pro Starter

Good gameplay video:

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #191
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I should not have watched that video, I'm not planning on buying the game until June 1. Its going to be a long wait.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #192
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm installing it now, installation to Ps3 HD takes around 7 minutes as it's over 3.5GB, good bye world!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #193
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

My pre-order copy is due to arrive tommorrow.
I went with the fastest shipping method from Circuit City.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out - I didn't realise. Earlier in the year I'd read that it was to be uncensored, so looks like that changed somewhere along the line.

Buy the U.S. version from the Play Asia website. It's located in Asia, so you can likely get the game shipped to you within a week, if not sooner.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #195
Phototropic
Mascot

I just picked up a copy at the local Walmart from a box of about 100.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch, this is going to leave a mark..............

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #197
KWhit
Coordinator

Guess I have to go buy this today.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #198
wade moore
lolzcat

MBBF - if you don't quit it, I might develop a really severe stomach ache.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
MBBF - if you don't quit it, I might develop a really severe stomach ache.

I like how he stands up at the end and starts walking down the road like he didn't even notice that he had bounced off two cars and flown through a traffic light frame. Too funny.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #200
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I like how he stands up at the end and starts walking down the road like he didn't even notice that he had bounced off two cars and flown through a traffic light frame. Too funny.
I love that GTA has realistic physics, but at the same time doesn't take itself too seriously and try to be ultra-realistic in other ways.

Quote: