Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #151
Anthony
Banned

what would the big deal be? if he wants to come back they just release him and let him go to some other team. make it clear Aaron Rogers is their guy. i don't think if you were the GM you'd want to be forever known as the guy who refused to let Favre play when he was willing to come back.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #152
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

If Favre does come back and GB does the best thing by letting him go...

Minnesota?

Oakland?

Baltimore?

Atlanta?

Carolina?

These are the only five teams I see as having a possibility. The Vikings would give Favre an immediate shot at getting back to the playoffs, but it would be too weird with him in the same division. Imagine Favre in purple knocking the Pack out of the playoffs. The Raiders could really use a veteran in there to allow Russell time to grow, and Al has a thing for Hall of Fame players who should be watching TV on Sunday afternoons. Baltimore would give Brett a place to play for a year and not interfere with GB, although they have a killer schedule. Atlanta & Carolina are both in the south andare completely different. Atlanta would allow Favre to return to the team that drafted him and play a year with a team looking for direction. Ryan could sit and learn. Carolina is saying all the right things about Delhomme, but he is still a big question mark, and Favre could mean the difference between a respectable team and a top five pick.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #153
Anthony
Banned

Baltimore and Atlanta would seem to be the most likely. Minny and Chicago are out of the question. no way he comes back only to go to a division rival.

but he's not coming back. i think the unofficial stance by GB front office is "we're not going to think too much about this because hopefully Brett doesn't put us in this awkward position...hint, hint Brett - stay retired".
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #154
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
If Favre does come back and GB does the best thing by letting him go...

Minnesota?

Please no.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #155
Jas_lov
College Starter

WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee reported Monday that Favre sent a text message to Thompson on Saturday. The station reported that Thompson’s reply to Favre was that he was on vacation, and the two would have to talk later. I also saw on ESPN that Favre's agent Bus Cook will file the papers within 10 days for Favre's return.

If he does come back, it will be with the Packers. Green Bay won't happily release him and let him go to Minnesota. He's not going to Chicago because they suck and I doubt Favre would accept a trade to a lesser team where he'd have a tough time getting to the superbowl. Once it gets out that Favre is back, Thompson will have to welcome him back.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Please no.

OK, ummm, why not? Minnesota has all of the makings of a championship team with one major league exception. QB. You really mean to tell me that getting a QB who had a 95.7 rating last year and threw the ball for over 4,000 yards would not be a major upgrade from Tarvarius Jackson or Gus Ferrote?

Chicago and Minnesota are both hoping the Packers dump Favre. They'd each take him in a tenth of a second. Favre has put the Packers in a tough situation. Not exactly a classy thing to do, but it's done. The Packers have a tough decision to make. I can assure you they don't want him walking onto the field in Viking purple on opening night.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #157
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Sure, CHI and MIN would love GB to drop Favre and would love to snap him up. But the Packers would be absolutely stupid to release him. If they do decide to go on without him, they will do whatever they can to trade him OUT of the division. Pretty sure Thompson would be lynched on the spot the second CHI or MIN picked up Favre.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #158
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Best case scenario for the Packers is being able to move him to a non-rival team at this point. If they really hope Aaron Rogers is the future, they can't piss on him (even if it's solely Favre's fault) and expect him to stay loyal to the organization. I think Favre would be willing to agree to stay away from the Bears/Vikings in exchange for being released.

What a shitty thing to do. I understand he has every right to do it, but he's fucking up his team's future and putting a damper on his ride into the sunset. At this point, it just comes off as massively selfish.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #159
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What a shitty thing to do. I understand he has every right to do it, but he's fucking up his team's future and putting a damper on his ride into the sunset. At this point, it just comes off as massively selfish.

Even as a huge Packer fan and a huge fan of Favre himself, I have no choice but to agree with this.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #160
gkb
High School Varsity

He's definitely put Green Bay in a tough spot. I enjoy watching him play so I hope he does return. It'd be interesting to see him playing for the Vikings, but I'd rather see him with the Packers.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #161
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep. Saying he was done, having the Packers plan for Rodgers as QB and draft a QB in the 2nd round to battle with Rodgers... and then Favre says... hmm, maybe I'll be back? I think Favre is an awesome player, but this is just assholishness.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #162
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Somewhere Madden is looking for Kleenex and heading to the bathroom.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #163
Anthony
Banned

how is he an asshole? in fact, if anything this helps the Packers. they got nothing in return for him when he retired. now that he may come back they can reinstate him and trade him, and if there are teams that would pay to have Vinny Testeverde as their starting QB then surely there are teams that would love to have a HOF QB fresh off a season in which he took his team to the NFC Championship game.

how is this bad for the Packers? getting something in return is better than getting nothing. Favre's gotta be worth a 3rd round pick, *maybe* a 2nd rounder based on certain criteria being met.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #164
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Favre unretires, and DB's across the league rejoice...more picks!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #165
rkmsuf
Head Coach

it's bad for the packers in the sense that if they trade him half of the green bay yahoos will be upset. if they don't the other half will. not to mention that farve looks like a giant doofus.

if they get a 2nd or 3rd round pick the team giving up the pick should be contracted

make up your mind shithead. what's next you get to game 8 and are "worn down"?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #166
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Because the Pack are between a rock and a hard place. How can you trade the face of your franchise and most popular player? But how can you jerk around your QB of the future in this way?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #167
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Not to compare Favre to Joe Montana because Favre couldn't hold Joe Cool's jockstrap...but the Niners traded Joe to the Chiefs and got some pretty good players from the picks they got for him, mainly because they already had Steve Young. Young was quite a bit more established than Aaron "1 game" Rogers is though.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #168
molson
General Manager

The Packers have been dealing with this stuff since around 2005. How hard is it for a grown man to make a decision? The guy's either extremely inmmature, unstable, or has some financial issues.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #169
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Packers have been dealing with this stuff since around 2005. How hard is it for a grown man to make a decision? The guy's either extremely inmmature, unstable, or has some financial issues.

Immature and unstable definately. Perfect leader for your team.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
or has some financial issues.

Who knew Alligator Farm futures were about to burst?!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'd like to see him come back and get traded. It'd be a fun stroy to watch unfold.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #172
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Immature and unstable definately. Perfect leader for your team.

I think you just don't like QB's not named Brady.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #173
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If the Packers do trade Favre, do they still retire his jersey on opening night?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #174
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think you just don't like QB's not named Brady.

Not true. I liked Cleo Lemon, Trent Green and John Beck quarterbacking the Dolphins.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #175
Kodos
Resident Alien

And I love Matt Cassel! I hope to see him a lot this season.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #176
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:

He's a classic narcissistic attention whore. That probably falls under immature, though.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #177
molson
General Manager

Any chance Favre has trouble getting a job? Every team has to know they're inheriting 2-3 years of distractions and flakiness (and interceptions)

Last edited by molson : 07-08-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #178
Anthony
Banned

any team that employs Tavaris Jackson, Chad Pennington or Rex Grossman is in need of Favre and isn't in a position to turn down his services.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #179
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Please no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Because the Pack are between a rock and a hard place.

Let's look at some scenarios here.

1) Packers tell Favre, thanks, but no thanks. First 7 games of next season: Vikings, @Lions, Cowboys, @Buccs, Falcons, @Seahawks, Colts.

It's not all that big of a stretch to say the Packers could lose 3 of the first 4 home games of the Aaron Rogers era. I understand all of these decisions are long term, but imagine being the Packers GM in this spot. How do you explain to your fan base that you have the same team that went to the NFC championship game with 3 losses on the year and have that many losses at home in the first half of the season the next?

2) Favre goes someplace else. I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that whichever team gets Favre will instantly be better. The Vikings would turn into Super Bowl contenders in a second. Imagine if the Packers are sucking and the team Favre goes to is 5-2 or 6-1 at this point?

----------------------------------------------------------

What it boils down to is pretty simple, really. Do the Packers think Aaron Rodgers really has a chance to be a great QB. I don't mean an average QB. I mean a GREAT QB. They have Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn on the roster as well. If you think Rodgers could be decent, but not great, you take Favre back in a second and ship him off. Brohm can wait a year or two.

If you think Rodgers is going to be the man, you take the publicity hit and let Favre go. Just be prepared for a tough year.

Only thing I don't agree with in this thread is that GB could reach an agreement with Favre to not sign with the Vikings or Bears. If the Packers don't want him, he's going to be pissed. Don't think for a second he won't try to take it out on them. Also, as far as trading him goes, it's a bit easier said than done. The other team has to have the cap room, believe Favre will get them a title in one year and have an open QB position. Favre could also threaten to hold out if he doesn't like the team he's getting traded to.

Bottom line, GB has to understand Favre holds the cards here. He chooses to come back, they either have to take him back or release the legend. If they go the release route, I don't think it ends well for them in the short term. Long term? We'll have to wait and see.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #180
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought I heard that the Packers would have 24 hours to either trade or release Favre. Is that true?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #181
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought I heard that the Packers would have 24 hours to either trade or release Favre. Is that true?

24 hours from when?

I don't quite understand the contract issues involved either - but the Packers control him at least through this year, correct? If so, I can't see that he ends up with either the Vikings or Bears. Is there another situation that makes sense?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #182
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
OK, ummm, why not? Minnesota has all of the makings of a championship team with one major league exception. QB. You really mean to tell me that getting a QB who had a 95.7 rating last year and threw the ball for over 4,000 yards would not be a major upgrade from Tarvarius Jackson or Gus Ferrote?

Chicago and Minnesota are both hoping the Packers dump Favre. They'd each take him in a tenth of a second. Favre has put the Packers in a tough situation. Not exactly a classy thing to do, but it's done. The Packers have a tough decision to make. I can assure you they don't want him walking onto the field in Viking purple on opening night.

Because there's no way I want one of the biggest douche bags in sports on the Vikings.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #183
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I don't understand why that would be true. It can't be just that he retired, because then wouldn't every player who wants a new contract "retire" instead of holding out? I don't see how this situation, in a vaccuum, is any different than a hold out situation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #184
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Because there's no way I want one of the biggest douche bags in sports on the Vikings.

"We first laid eyes on you on an autumn Sunday. You, the little boy from Dixie. Drawing up plays in the Mississippi mud. Never growing old. All these years later, you remain as genuine as you were that day. You are our's, because you've stood by us. Not only in triumph, but more importantly, in times of despair. Celebrating timeless victories and honoring those tragically lost. As the years passed, the doubters increase in volume. He's too old. He's lost a step. It's time to go. Pay them no attention. For we are survivors. Legends write their own stories. My Brett. Our Favre."
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #185
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'd take Favre over Kitna, though if Favre was willing to play for the Lions, then he has more issues than I thought.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #186
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
24 hours from when?

I don't quite understand the contract issues involved either - but the Packers control him at least through this year, correct? If so, I can't see that he ends up with either the Vikings or Bears. Is there another situation that makes sense?

My understanding was that once he officially unretires, he is on the Packers roster. At that point, they have 24 hours to either trade him or release him. My assumption was that was based on contract (cap?) issues.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #187
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't understand why that would be true. It can't be just that he retired, because then wouldn't every player who wants a new contract "retire" instead of holding out? I don't see how this situation, in a vaccuum, is any different than a hold out situation.

Right, they could just keep him and offer him the backup job if they wanted, knowing that would keep him retired.

I question if Favre really has all the cards here. If he wants to play, and the Packers don't want him to start, could anyone really blame them for not releasing him to play for a division rival?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #188
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My understanding was that once he officially unretires, he is on the Packers roster. At that point, they have 24 hours to either trade him or release him. My assumption was that was based on contract (cap?) issues.

That was my understanding from something I read as well. They either accept him back and take his cap number back or release him.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-08-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #189
molson
General Manager

Quote:

So they couldn't just keep him? That would change the dynamics of this decision, but I can't imagine it's true. And if they can keep him, they can definitely trade or release him later, can't they? I don't see why there would be a deadline.

Last edited by molson : 07-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #190
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Please find a way to trade him to the Dolphins. Then we'll see how much he wants to play.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 07-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #191
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So they couldn't just keep him? That would change the dynamics of this decision, but I can't imagine it's true. And if they can keep him, they can definitely trade or release him later, can't they? I don't see why there would be a deadline.

They can release him later, but I *think* there are different cap rules/ramifications if they release him right after he un-retires as opposed to down the road. At least, that is how the article I was reading made it sound (trying to find the article now.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #192
Logan
Head Coach

The Packers are something like $30 million under the cap. They might need to release him before his contract is officially placed on the cap, but as long as they can afford it, that shouldn't happen.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #193
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
They can release him later, but I *think* there are different cap rules/ramifications if they release him right after he un-retires as opposed to down the road. At least, that is how the article I was reading made it sound (trying to find the article now.)

That makes sense - there's probably a provision for "protecting" yourself from players that suddenly unretire from screwing up your cap - you can get rid of them quickly without any significant ramifications.

Depending on the Packer's cap situation then, the 24-hour deadline isn't necessarily binding.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #194
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I hope the Packers resign Najeh Davenport to shit in Farve's locker everyday.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I hope the Packers resign Najeh Davenport to shit in Farve's locker everyday.

Or they could just trade Favre to the Lions. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #196
Butter
Coordinator

LOLOL @ Everyone who bought his retirement news conference.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #197
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yeah, but imagine what happens the first time Rodgers throws an INT.

Then he'll have a good start on following Favre's career arc...

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

I'm at the point where I'm dangerously close to wishing bad things upon him. The weeks before, during, and after his retirement were fucking terrible, as you couldn't turn on a station or read anything that didn't mention this prick. The thought of having to go through this all again is revolting.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #199
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yeah, but imagine what happens the first time Rodgers throws an INT.

Because of Favre's selfishness, that will be a huge problem no matter what happens now (except I guess if they let him start). Maybe Rodgers should go after his knee with a metal pipe.

As a non-Packer fan though, I think I agree with Honolulu_Blue, I kind of hope this resolves in the most chaotic way possible, just for the entertainment value.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #200
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm at the point where I'm dangerously close to wishing bad things upon him. The weeks before, during, and after his retirement were fucking terrible, as you couldn't turn on a station or read anything that didn't mention this prick. The thought of having to go through this all again is revolting.

Coverage of a 'comeback' will probably be even worse, even though he's not really coming back from anything.