Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #151
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Well, my fear has manifested itself. The sox let probably the greatest 3b they have had in history or at least in the last 40 years walk and probably heading to one of our two biggest competitors the Yanks or Angels. Geez they gave JD Drew like 14 mill a year or something like that. They obviously didn't think that Lowell would get 4 year offers. He looks to get a deal of 56 for 4 years 14 mill a year. I am sure the Sox offered him a 3 year deal at 44 with maybe ateam option for 4th year at 10 mill he would of taken. So, if the Sox were which I think they were pinning their 3rd basemen hopes on A-Rod leaving the Yanks they fucked that up. I guess we could sign Joe Creede the yankees leftovers:}

or maybe fatty cabrera? or maybe it's the prelude to a massive offer to arod, ripping him away from the yankees
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #152
Atocep
Coordinator

If they lose him I don't see it as being that huge. He's 33 and coming off of a career year, I wouldn't want to see my team give him a 4 year deal either. Let someone else overpay for a guy that doesn't hit all that well away from Fenway and had been in decline prior to this year.

He had a fantastic year, but its smart baseball to not get all nostalgic during negotiations and cave in.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #153
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, my fear has manifested itself. The sox let probably the greatest 3b they have had in history or at least in the last 40 years walk and probably heading to one of our two biggest competitors the Yanks or Angels. Geez they gave JD Drew like 14 mill a year or something like that. They obviously didn't think that Lowell would get 4 year offers. He looks to get a deal of 56 for 4 years 14 mill a year. I am sure the Sox offered him a 3 year deal at 44 with maybe ateam option for 4th year at 10 mill he would of taken. So, if the Sox were which I think they were pinning their 3rd basemen hopes on A-Rod leaving the Yanks they fucked that up. I guess we could sign Joe Creede the yankees leftovers:}
Johnny Damon and Pedro Martinez say hi from 2004. I like Lowell, but he'll be done by year 3 of any contract, if not sooner. It was a career year and his home/away splits were ridiculous. If someone offers him 4/56 take the supp picks and move on, but with the Yankees signing A-Rod are they really gonna pay Lowell that to play 1st Base? Moreno doesn't sound like he's dumb enough.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think 'greatest Red Sox 3b in the last 40 years' might be selling some others a bit short (um... Wade Boggs maybe?) Lowell put together a nice year, but it wasn't much, if at all, better than a couple of years in Florida before they gave him away. And he was borderline All-Star good, not superhuman.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #155
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think 'greatest Red Sox 3b in the last 40 years' might be selling some others a bit short (um... Wade Boggs maybe?) Lowell put together a nice year, but it wasn't much, if at all, better than a couple of years in Florida before they gave him away. And he was borderline All-Star good, not superhuman.

SI

You beat me to it.

How does a Red Sox fan forget about Wade Boggs (a guy that was just inducted into the Hall of Fame)?

Particularly for a guy, like Lowell, who only spent a few decent years with them.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #156
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Every player that's ever played for the Red Sox is the greatest player to have ever played for the Red Sox.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
You beat me to it.

How does a Red Sox fan forget about Wade Boggs (a guy that was just inducted into the Hall of Fame)?

Particularly for a guy, like Lowell, who only spent a few decent years with them.

Any Red Sox player without a ring is irrelevant
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

Boras loses a client

Not A-Rod.....yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3115010

Quote:
Free-agent pitcher Kenny Rogers abruptly fired his agent Scott Boras and is now representing himself in present contract negotiations, MLB.com reports.

Rogers, who told MLB.com Thursday that he still hoped to re-sign with the Detroit Tigers, informed Major League teams Friday afternoon that he formally severed his business relationship with Boras, the league's Internet arm reported.

The dismissal by Rogers, who had been talking to the Tigers but also exploring other options, was confirmed for ESPN.com by team sources.

The 43-year-old lefthander was 3-4 with a 4.43 ERA in an injury-shortened season for the Tigers after helping them reach the 2006 World Series.

Rogers informed all major league teams via e-mail of the split with Boras. MLB.com says the Tigers confirmed that they were notified.

The dismissal deals another blow to the high-profile agent, who wasn't a part of Alex Rodriguez's s contract talks this week with the New York Yankees, giving rise to criticism that he misread the market this offseason and is paying the consequences.

Boras was criticized this week by Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner for giving Rodriguez bad advice during the time before their decision to opt out of Rodriguez's Yankees contract.

Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that the team has expressed an interest in having Rogers return. But he said from the GM meetings in Florida last week that he was told that Rogers "and his agent want to explore other options."

Over 19 seasons, Rogers is 210-143 with a 4.43 ERA and is a four-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner.

For the first time since 2001, he did not win at least 13 games.

Rogers was limited to just 11 starts after having surgery before last season to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries. He went back on the DL later in the year with inflammation in his elbow.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #159
Galaxy
Coordinator

After recently posting a thread on Buffett and taxes, here's an interesting story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3115789

Does Boras still get paid off his contract? Has free agency begain yet?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-17-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #160
Atocep
Coordinator

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Mets are looking at signing Eckstein to play 2nd. His asking price right now is 4 years and $36 million.

For the love of god this is my worst nightmare. I would probably choose to lose a minor body part rather than cheer for the team that signed Eckstein to a contract anywhere near that amount.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #161
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You knew this had to be coming...

Rays want new stadium

Not because they're good, but because the Florida Suncoast Dome was already nearly a decade old before they moved into it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-17-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #162
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

The Mets are looking at signing Eckstein to play 2nd. His asking price right now is 4 years and $36 million.

For the love of god this is my worst nightmare. I would probably choose to lose a minor body part rather than cheer for the team that signed Eckstein to a contract anywhere near that amount.

That amount of money for Eckstein is far more ridiculous than whatever A-Rod ends up getting.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

But don't you all remember? He's scrappy! You can't measure Eckstein's scrappiness by pure statistics, you just have to know he clawed his way singlehandedly to the title with Anaheim. And helped the Cardinals overcome a lackluster year to win it all two years ago.

Maybe he's gonna get paid like a good luck charm ought to.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-17-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #164
Logan
Head Coach

I was okay with a potential Eckstein deal when it was a year or two at $4 mil per. Those numbers are ridiculous.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 AM   #165
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
But don't you all remember? He's scrappy! You can't measure Eckstein's scrappiness by pure statistics, you just have to know he clawed his way singlehandedly to the title with Anaheim. And helped the Cardinals overcome a lackluster year to win it all two years ago.

Maybe he's gonna get paid like a good luck charm ought to.

I always enjoy how we sit and pretend its never racial - how the "little scrappy know how to win" guys that sportswriter adore are pretty much always white.

PS - I like Eckstein, and I admire what the guy has done - we could all learn a bunch from him about determination.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I always enjoy how we sit and pretend its never racial - how the "little scrappy know how to win" guys that sportswriter adore are pretty much always white.

PS - I like Eckstein, and I admire what the guy has done - we could all learn a bunch from him about determination.

No, it's not racial. Sportswriters and members of the media are so unbiased, unprejudiced and they just call it as they see it.

After all, it's 2007. Racism is all gone now. Merit is the only indicator of truth, fairness and the American way.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Eckstein is a boon to any team that signs him, and he brings a lot more value than stat freaks tend to give him.

All that said, are you freakin' kidding me with that contract? And you thought $8 M/4 years was bad for Erstad?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #168
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Eckstein is a boon to any team that signs him, and he brings a lot more value than stat freaks tend to give him.

All that said, are you freakin' kidding me with that contract? And you thought $8 M/4 years was bad for Erstad?

What part of "I admire Eckstein and think we can learn from him" was problematic? You can have your team of HTWG (Hustling Telegenic White Guys) - I'll take a team of A-Rod's. Comfort yourself with your cliches.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What part of "I admire Eckstein and think we can learn from him" was problematic? You can have your team of HTWG (Hustling Telegenic White Guys) - I'll take a team of A-Rod's. Comfort yourself with your cliches.

Touched a nerve, did I? I didn't once think of anything you said in this thread when posting this. Get over yourself.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #170
Thomkal
Head Coach

Surprised my beloved Cards don't seem to be interested in resigning Eckstein. Though with that contract offer, perhaps I'm not.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #171
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So what can you Colorado guys tell me about Yorvit Torrealba? From what I understand, not the biggest hitter (hopefully mitigated by Ramon Castro getting a lot of time behind the plate too) but very good at handling pitchers and calling the game.

Torrealba failed his physical and the deal fell apart. So the Mets are back in the market for a catcher.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For like... oh, $2 mil a year, sure.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #173
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Touched a nerve, did I? I didn't once think of anything you said in this thread when posting this. Get over yourself.

Ignorance always touches a nerve. At least you're easily identifiable as a purveyor.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #174
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Every player that's ever played for the Red Sox is the greatest player to have ever played for the Red Sox.

Not Heathcliff Slocumb
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #175
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm sure Coletti will somehow find it in his heart to offer him 5 years 60 million
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #176
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm sure Coletti will somehow find it in his heart to offer him 5 years 60 million

*crosses fingers*. Between Colletti and Sabean, the Dodgers and Giants are going to spend the next few years competing for 4th place.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ignorance always touches a nerve. At least you're easily identifiable as a purveyor.

Got it. You're real adult now, handing out insults. I had thought you better than this. I was wrong.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

Castillo back to the Mets for 4 years, $25 million. Not crazy about the years but apparently it was necessary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #179
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not Heathcliff Slocumb

Sure he is, he turned into Varitek and Lowe. God that was a horrible trade.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #180
MrBug708
Head Coach

Angels trade Gold Glove SS Orlando Cabrerra to the White Sox for Jon Garland. I would imagine they just cleared SS for Brandon Wood meaning they aren't trading for Miggy?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #181
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

You can blame idiots like Bill Plaschke for running DePodesta out of town. He wasn't the best GM in baseball, but he helped build and mainain the farm system.

Whats funny is the 2 things he complained about the most (the LoDuca trade and signing JD Drew) ended up being good moves. The Drew signing, especially, showed what an idiot Plaschke is, too. First, he complained that the contract he was given was ridiculous and it was typical of a stat geek. Then he complained 2 years later because he gave him an out clause.

I remember reading the stupid columns Plaschke wrote after they hired DePodesta about how he was the perfect man for the job and he brings old school scouting in to replace the stat geek that just didn't get it.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #182
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Angels trade Gold Glove SS Orlando Cabrerra to the White Sox for Jon Garland. I would imagine they just cleared SS for Brandon Wood meaning they aren't trading for Miggy?

Excellent move.

Garland isn't a great pitcher or anything, but on the open market he'd easily pull in $60-80 mil. They sold high on a 33 year old SS that was blocking their best prospect and got a servicable 28 year old arm in return.

More teams should be willing to make moves before players start to decline rather than hold onto them too long, let them block other players development, then try to sell low on them.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Castillo back to the Mets for 4 years, $25 million. Not crazy about the years but apparently it was necessary.

As long as it keeps Eckstein away, I'm happy with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #184
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
WHDH is reporting Mike Lowell resigns with the Red Sox. That's the only source so far, so caveat emptor.

Now ESPN is running with it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118926
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #185
miked
College Starter

I was just reading through the archives and seeing that in 1998, the Mariners wanted Mike Lowell and Hideki Irabu for Randy Johnson and Cashman balked. Instead, they passed on RJ and picked up minor league pitchers Ed Yarnall, Mark Johnson and Todd Noel. Sometimes I think if you gave me a 400M budget, I might be able to make it out of the first round once every few years...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is that Dodger fan hopeful thinking?

No, actually, this makes a deal for Miggy Cab even more likely. Before this deal, we already had Escobar, Lackey, Weaver, Santana, Saunders and Mosely for our rotation. Now we add Garland. Anyone think we're planning on carrying seven starters next year?

At least one of those (probably Santana or Saunders) will go to Florida as part of a MCab deal. Or to Baltimore for Tejada. I am hoping for the first.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #187
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Great deal for the Angels, and it does seem like a precursor to another deal. That being said, even without that, I think they win the deal, and dropoff to Izturiz or Aybar will be pretty small. Wood, Santana and a mediocre prospect to Baltimore for Tejeda is what I imagine.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #188
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Excellent move.

Garland isn't a great pitcher or anything, but on the open market he'd easily pull in $60-80 mil. They sold high on a 33 year old SS that was blocking their best prospect and got a servicable 28 year old arm in return.

More teams should be willing to make moves before players start to decline rather than hold onto them too long, let them block other players development, then try to sell low on them.

Complete agreement here on all points. Exactly the right time to deal OCab, and also got Garland when his value was lower. The guy doesn't have great stuff or nothing, but he has won 18 games two times, has a WS ring, has pitched over 200 IPs four seasons in a row and is exactly the type of pitcher who can do well in Angels Stadium. And he's just 28.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Great deal for the Angels, and it does seem like a precursor to another deal. That being said, even without that, I think they win the deal, and dropoff to Izturiz or Aybar will be pretty small. Wood, Santana and a mediocre prospect to Baltimore for Tejeda is what I imagine.

Yup, Izturis or Aybar (or Wood long term if he isn't dealt) will be fine replacements there. Not much drop off at all.

I see the Tejada deal you propose as a possibility, but I really hope that doesn't happen. IMO, getting Tejada now is sorta the opposite of what we did with OCab, buying high for a player clearly on the downside. And that doesn't even touch that he hasn't been that solid for a couple years now and there were steroid rumors around him.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #190
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mostly Dodger fan hoping. I would think that the Dodgers have the better pitching prospects with the Marlins wanting Billingsly and that is a trade I wouldn't do. I think the Dodgers next bat will be one of the CF's.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #191
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yup, Izturis or Aybar (or Wood long term if he isn't dealt) will be fine replacements there. Not much drop off at all.

I see the Tejada deal you propose as a possibility, but I really hope that doesn't happen. IMO, getting Tejada now is sorta the opposite of what we did with OCab, buying high for a player clearly on the downside. And that doesn't even touch that he hasn't been that solid for a couple years now and there were steroid rumors around him.

I agree with you on that, but I think the Angels are under some pressure to "make a move." Tejada's defense is borderline awful at this stage. I'm not as high on Wood as many (I see Jose Hernandez 2.0, which is not a bad player, but not a star), but he's cheap and capable. Wood, Santana, Adenhart and Wiltis for Cabrera would be an expensive price (well, I think Wiltis is another "gritty hustler" type who's likely to flail, but the Marlins need a CF), but perhaps worthwhile to the Angels.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mostly Dodger fan hoping. I would think that the Dodgers have the better pitching prospects with the Marlins wanting Billingsly and that is a trade I wouldn't do. I think the Dodgers next bat will be one of the CF's.

I think if the Dodgers trade both Billingsley and Kershaw, the Marlins would take that. But everything I have heard says they won't do that. And Adenhart seems as attractive to the Marlins as either Billingsley or Kershaw by themselves. And we're willing to deal Santana, too, who, for all his crapitude last year is still a young pitcher with a lot of upside. So that might gice us an edge unless Coletti breaks and give Florida the farm (which he might).

I have heard of Hunter wanting to go to the Dodgers and, IMO, you guys should jump on that. Terrific defensively, great in the clubhouse, a good media guy, tons of playoff experience, and he will lead your team in HRs (unless Kemp gets full time and takes another step). If we hadn't spurged questionably on Matthews last year, I would be pushing for Hunter for the Angels.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #193
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you on that, but I think the Angels are under some pressure to "make a move." Tejada's defense is borderline awful at this stage. I'm not as high on Wood as many (I see Jose Hernandez 2.0, which is not a bad player, but not a star), but he's cheap and capable. Wood, Santana, Adenhart and Wiltis for Cabrera would be an expensive price (well, I think Wiltis is another "gritty hustler" type who's likely to flail, but the Marlins need a CF), but perhaps worthwhile to the Angels.

I agree, they are under pressure. But I really hope that pressure translates into them making a bigger deal for MCab rather than overspending for Tejada. I also agree that if the Marlins want Willits, we deal him in a second. Even though it wasn't that great a season, last year was definitely Willits best as a pro player, and he was only average defensively and had no power at all, and hit much higher for average than he ever had. I liked that he was able to get on base, which is something the Angels generally lack, and of course he's a neat little player to have around, but if he has value now, trading him now would be the right time to do it.

I think Wood will be a bit better than Jose Hernandez, but not as high as prognosticators have had him. Maybe Troy Glaus? But with a little better average and a little less power.

I would do that deal for MCab in a second. Especially because Kendrick would not be a part of it.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #194
MrBug708
Head Coach

From another board Chief. (Made about 4 days ago) One of the posters was a tat bar wherehe talked with Arte for about 45 minutes

Quote:
*just from the expression on his face, wasn't too happy about the whole AROD/Boras thing, and the Yanks are giving him way more then the Angels will.

*B Wood is untouchable, will not be traded.

*Angels had KROD signed to an extension, all they needed was the sig. Yankees gave the offer to Rivera, then KROD walked

*Angels will be adding an arm soon. Not Carlos Silva type...

*I think there is a good chance that Miggy Cabrera will be playing for the Angels next year.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #195
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I think if the Dodgers trade both Billingsley and Kershaw, the Marlins would take that. But everything I have heard says they won't do that. And Adenhart seems as attractive to the Marlins as either Billingsley or Kershaw by themselves. And we're willing to deal Santana, too, who, for all his crapitude last year is still a young pitcher with a lot of upside. So that might gice us an edge unless Coletti breaks and give Florida the farm (which he might).

I have heard of Hunter wanting to go to the Dodgers and, IMO, you guys should jump on that. Terrific defensively, great in the clubhouse, a good media guy, tons of playoff experience, and he will lead your team in HRs (unless Kemp gets full time and takes another step). If we hadn't spurged questionably on Matthews last year, I would be pushing for Hunter for the Angels.

I think the Dodgers are testing the waters to see what can be done about Johan Santana as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #196
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From another board Chief. (Made about 4 days ago) One of the posters was a tat bar wherehe talked with Arte for about 45 minutes

Interesting, since one of those things has certainly come true.

The Rivera thing and KRod has been a topic of conversation on the Angels board (the potential relationship, not that KRod and the Angels had an agreement).

This might be contrary to popular thinking, but I actually wouldn't be against deadling KRod. His rep is still huge and the numbers have been there. But watching him day after day, I can tell you, he is a walking cardiac arrest. If he can help us get another big bat, deal him now, move Shields to closer, sign a couple more middle relief guys like the Angels do so well, and move on.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, lol, you know Moreno must be the most accessible billionaire owner of all time. Except for maybe Mark Cuban. It seems like several regular joes have gotten a chance to talk to him in the past months, and he talks openly about plans for the Angels, lol. He even managed to get himself on an ESPN college football broadcast (although that was ESPN, of course).

Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Great move for the Angels. What again were the White Sox thinking?

KC motto for next year: Royals for 4th place in '08. Baby Steps!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #199
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Garland isn't exactly great. He's decent and might benefit playing in Anaheim, but outside of two years ago, he hasn't done anything that impressive. That said, Cabrera is in the same boat. Offensively, he benefited greatly hitting in front of Vladdie, so I look at this as an Angels win only because Garland will be a good 4th type starter, and they replace Cabrera with a potential stud at SS.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #200
MrBug708
Head Coach

Another rumor floating around is Matt Kemp for Erik Bedard