Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2003, 01:28 PM   #151
Neel
n00b

Mike,
Staley is worth trading up for. He will be a Pro Bowl back one day, and could set us up for the long run.
If we wait until round 2 to go for a back, we may end up going for Portis or a back around his level. I can't see Staley or Fortenberry lasting out of round 1.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:05 PM   #152
Tasan
College Starter

we need to get off our butts and proceed. Sign that Fortenberry guy and pick a FA qb, and get a FA stage out of the way, we're taking forever ;- )
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #153
Tasan
College Starter

bump again
Old 02-20-2003, 01:34 AM   #154
Mike47
n00b

Yeah, I agree. Sorry guys I've been busy as hell this week working on a project that I finally finished today. FOF was my "break in the action." After class tomorrow I will have plenty of free time. I'm going to run the first week of free agency after I get home from class. I'll post the file.
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:54 AM   #155
Tasan
College Starter

bumpity bump bump
Old 02-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #156
Mike47
n00b

Allright guys, Im going to be running week 1 of FA shortly. Real quick, are we interested in pursuing a FB or TE in FA or are we going to wait until the draft? If I dont see a reply before I finish we can always try for week II. Stay tuned for a new file!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #157
Mike47
n00b

Also, what exactly are we looking for as far as another WR goes? I think I like Bill Schroeder but I'm not sure he'll "fit our offense" etc.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:12 PM   #158
Tasan
College Starter

I think Bill is the only guy out there really worth the money they are asking for, and he's fairly young.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #159
Tasan
College Starter

Dola. There are lots of run blocking TEs there, and many should stay available for a little while.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:17 PM   #160
Neel
n00b

Waiting on a good run blocking TE is fine, as long as we snag at least one.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:38 PM   #161
Mike47
n00b

Ok the file is up (page 1). Take a look and throw out some input. I'll probably run week two later tonight. No sense in waiting. If there was anything worth saying it would have been said by now. If you don't like a bid that's currently on the table let me know.

There were a few other players I was interested in but didn't put a bid. Wanted to get some feedback first:

T Folau (waiting till week three or something?)

FB Sam Gash (signed with Dallas...I think it was Dallas)

TE Dilger/Sharper/Moore/Fauria
Not sure if we're looking to grab a TE in FA but these are the best pass catching TEs avail.

DE Kenny Mixon or DE Marco Coleman?
Even if EVERY player we've currently bid on signs we would still have over $30M in cap space. Not that we want to go overboard and just throw money around, but then again we don't have a single DL who looks to be a SOLID starter in 2002.

I just talked to Tasan and we're going to be putting a bid on Kenny Mixon for week II. Things are startin' to roll finally.

P.S. My goal is to get FA and the draft DONE by this time next week. Im going to Florida for a week starting next Friday and would like to have the team in place by then. That way our coordinators and co. can take their time setting up their approaches.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:04 PM   #162
Mike47
n00b

Guys, we're being outbid on G Jenkins and WR Schroeder.

Jenkins is considering a bid from Atlanta, which happens to be the team closest to his howetown. He doesn't care at all about playing for a winner so we do have that going in our favor. How much we want to throw at this cat?

Schroeder is only being bid on by New Orleans and Dallas. The distance thing shouldn't play much of a factor. He also doesn't care much about playing for a winner.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:03 PM   #163
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Schroeder and Jenkins

Offer Jenkins 22.5, but weight it to the back side with $4,5Mill bonus and the balance of cash in year 4 and 5, This way it helps us for a longer period of time and we can renogiate in year 4.

I don't know what Schroeder is asking for or being offered.

Please give us details of other bids

Have you entered bids to all UFA's?

Last edited by strait8 : 02-20-2003 at 10:05 PM.
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #164
Mike47
n00b

Straight, do you have the file yet? Just take a look. I'm going to renegotiate with Jenkins and Schroeder right now.

Also, I've been offering the players basically what they are asking for, but I think I'm going to go in and fine tune a few of them. For instance, I'm not sure if we want S Brian Walker under a large cotract for (I think it's) 5 years. I'm going to just use my judgement but if you guys have any requests let me know.

Stay tuned for a new file.

Also, I think I may just "use my judgement" up through week 5. I'll then post another file, let is sit for a while and then do 5 more weeks. Does this sound allright to you guys?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #165
Tasan
College Starter

Sounds good.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #166
Swaggs
Coordinator

We might offer Schroeder a large amount over two years, since we will have tons of cap space while our rookie contracts mature. Plus, I see him more as a transition player than a cornerstone-type player.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:53 PM   #167
Tasan
College Starter

Looking at WR Schroeder again, I really think he fits our offense perfectly. Avoids drops, catches on 3rd down, and makes big plays. This is what we need for a ball control offense, right? Even though I am a def coord, I definately see the wisdom in going after this guy.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:04 PM   #168
Mike47
n00b

Guys, I'm just about ready to run another week, but I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about signing a C to a 2 and 3 million dollar a year contract (over 4 years). This might be a position we can grab in the middle of the draft to save some money like we talked about. I'm not saying I WONT sign Smith and/or Long, but I was just wondering what you thought Saint? I'm very hesitant about Smith, at least Long will put fans in the seats (fan favorite).
Old 02-20-2003, 11:07 PM   #169
Mike47
n00b

Yeah, I like Schroeder. Granted, if he's anything close to the real player I was forced to watch on Sundays for my Lions, I would rip the contract up.

Oh, by the way Tasan, I got S Raion Hill to accept a two year contract without a bonus, so even though he makes some decent loot as a backup we can now cut him if we ever need to. He'll make around 900K both years.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #170
Mike47
n00b

Hey Straight8 and others. We're signing a lot of those 1st year players to one year contracts. Do you guys think it might be a good idea to sign at least 30% of them to two year deals (like Straight8 mentioned) just in case a handful of them pan out? That way we wont have to shell out a ton of cash all at once.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #171
Mike47
n00b

Yikes, another post:

Straight: You sure we should only offer G Jenkins 22.5? Atlanta has thrown 28M at him. I think I might up the ante. This guy is sweet.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:40 PM   #172
Mike47
n00b

Ok here me out guys: For now I withdrew our offer for C Smith. I personally think Kevin Long fits our offense much better not to mention he's a fan favorite. I got Long to accept a 3 year deal which would only pay him 1.5M the first year and 3M the third. I still plan on pursuing C Smith but I want to make sure Long can swith to G successfully before we end up paying two Cs, who can't play anywhere else, millions of dollars.

I also put in a final bid for G Jenkins. Atlanta has offered him a 6 year deal and no matter what I can't get him to accept a 6 year deal from us. I've tried to overpay him on a five year contract and he'll accept, but he is still favoring the Atlanta 6-year offer. I offered him a 5 year deal worth $22.5M. That's as high as I'll go. He's good, but he's just ONE guard for crying out loud.

I'll post results in a minute for round two.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #173
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Hi Mike

I don't have the game file here as I am up on a Mac at the moment.

Jenkins is good offer 29 million with a 5 mill bonus, Backload the balance into 3-4 and 5. We can renogtiate with him after before year 4,

Re Center: If you look at stats most teams run successfully up the middle and highest % of runs is up the middle. A good center is essential. Get one of the two top guys if you want a running attack that works.
We have lots of cap room

Re UFA's I believe we should sign all of them to 2 years as that costs us only 20,000 if they are no good and we have to release them and saves us mny 100,s of thousnds in year 2 if they pan out. The total cost of 15 free agents at 20K/yr is only 300K less than 1 yr of salary. for one player.

Are we making offers at all positions especially DL ???
Old 02-20-2003, 11:44 PM   #174
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Kevin Long

Hi Mike

Its better to just play a veteran like Long at guard than switch him. He loses too much experience when he is a 5 year Vet, You take about a 10% hit by just playing him out of position, but probably 20-30% if you switch him.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #175
Mike47
n00b

Week II:

Signed:
QB Batch
WR Schroeder
C Long
G Jenkins (he took it!)
G Vickers
G Matthews
T Folau (2 year deal for the vet league minimum both years)
T Allen
DE Wallen
ILB Duncan

Not a bad week. I think I'm calling it a night before I break the guiness book of world records record for most consecutive posts.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:50 PM   #176
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Great Job Mike

You did good in week one
Old 02-20-2003, 11:50 PM   #177
Mike47
n00b

Doh, forgot about giving the 1st year player two year contracts. We still have a handful of them to sign. I'll make sure they get the two year deals. We wouldn't want ALL of them signed to two year deals in my opinion. DE Kenny Mixon is considering an offer from Seattle. We'll beat it, we need this guy. I'm done for real this time. Maybe...
Old 02-21-2003, 12:04 PM   #178
Mike47
n00b

Hey Tasan, are you comfortable starting Turner at the lone DT position? It's totally up to you I was just curious what the plan was.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #179
Mike47
n00b

Ok, we're through 5 weeks of FA. The new file is up on page one. Here's what I think we still need to find either in FA or the draft. Drop some input on what positions may be best to hold off until the draft for.

QB1 - I think we're left with the draft as our only option. (Trade?)

HB1 - Biakabatuka is the only RB worth signing to start. I'm not to impressed with him myself, but if we want to get a RB out of FA he's our last shot.

FB1 - Draft

TE1 - Fauria or draft IMO

Starting RG - I think we have a good shot at signing C Jeff Smith.

Starting RT - Draft. Free agency wasn't offering much.

Starting RDE - Draft? Tasan, see any FA's you like left?

Starting DT - Is Turner going to start or should we get him some help? FA or draft?

Starting WOLB - Draft

Starting CB - We still need a #1 CB. Starks is solid but he can't do it alone. Any corners we like left?

The rest of FA should breeze by now. We're just about ready to tackle the draft!
Old 02-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #180
Neel
n00b

We may do better at RB in the draft. I will look at Biakabatuka and see how he looks.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #181
Tasan
College Starter

DT I think will be fudged this year, in a 3-4, you can get away with that a little. I didn't really see anyone worth spending money on at that position, but I'll look again real quick.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #182
Swaggs
Coordinator

Have we executed the trade with Carolina? If not, is the offer still on the table?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #183
Tasan
College Starter

Okay here are some more guys we might want to persue:

For CB, watch Walt Harris. If we can, wait til week 10 and offer him as little as he'll take. If he goes, offer one of these guys a contract at week 10:

Donnie Abraham
Tom Knight

For DT, watch Shane Burton til week 10. If he's unoffered, give him as little as he'll take at that point, and try to get him. I'd also like to grab 1 or 2 of these guys for backups:

Brandon Mitchell
Joe Salave'a -- This guy just wants his minimum I believe.

Last edited by Tasan : 02-21-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:43 AM   #184
Mike47
n00b

Sounds good Tasan. Swaggs, I was going to make the Carolina trade just before the draft. No sense in rushing anything. You never know what might happen.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:40 PM   #185
Mike47
n00b

We're through 10 weeks of FA. File is up. Grab it here. Take a look at the file and see if there's anyone else we would like to pluck. I have to work just about the rest of the night so I'll try and get to the rest of FA late tonight or tomorrow.

The next fews days of school are going to be INSANE for me. I'll try my best to keep up with you guys.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #186
Tasan
College Starter

Well, it looks like ol Joe Salave'a's ratings took a hit once he joined the team, must of had a good PR guy :-D . He doesn't have a signing bonus so we can cut him if needed later on. I'd like to pick up Brandon Mitchell too if possible and we can see what he's like. Don't worry too much about a signing bonus with him, his run stopping abilities should hold up enough where we wouldn't cut him anyway, just get a short 2-3 year contract from him. You might want to bump the contract for Walt Harris up a little more from the Chicago one. His loyalty is in the 40s and he might take more money from his old team.

Oh yeah, Shane Burton. Do we want to spend a bit of money on him or just go with a scrub at DT? I'm okay with just filling in there, but we could spend a little money too.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #187
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Take Mitchell

Mitchell is a decent choice as a backup. We can assess the DL as we go throught the draft. The odd time a medium DT is available in Rd 3-4.

Last edited by strait8 : 02-22-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:42 PM   #188
Mike47
n00b

Anyone know if SaintAnselm is still with us? We haven't really address to much on offense besides the oline.

Also, take a last look guys caus I think I'm just going to finish up the rest of FA so we can get to the draft. Burton signed with Baltimore so we didnt get our DT. Not a huge problem. Walt Harris just re-uped with Chicago after I offered him 3M over two years. Not our day.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:10 PM   #189
Tasan
College Starter

we need a cb, can you grab someone like cory chavinous(sp) or knight, or maybe abraham

you might want to look at what TEs are available, I don't think we've signed one and we prolly need one. Also, did you get DT Mitchell?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:26 PM   #190
Mike47
n00b

All of those CBs were long gone. The TE's weren't worth the loot they were asking and weren't a good fit. I got Mitchell.

The new file is uploading right now. Give it 15 mins.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #191
Mike47
n00b

It looks like Carolina will indeed draft David Carr. What are we thinking of doing? Trading down? If not who's our pick???????
Old 02-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #192
Mike47
n00b

Also, I was thinking, would anyone be interested in a live AOL chat draft? That way we can focus on the draft pick by pick and so on. Just an idea.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:20 PM   #193
Tasan
College Starter

I'd be interested in doing a chat draft.

Maybe another trade down to like 4 is in order? What do we want out of this draft? I'm pretty sure we can get one of the top 2 DEs at 4, and definately HB Luke Staley.

If we go down to 4, maybe that will give us enough 2s to get back in to round 1 and grab Staley along with a top DE. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:03 AM   #194
Tasan
College Starter

bump
Old 02-24-2003, 10:11 PM   #195
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Hey Mike47

Let'ts get on with it. If you are to busy deputize a coordiator to move the process along.

We are anxious to go.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:18 PM   #196
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Draft discussion-Who do you want to draft or...

do we trade down a couple of picks?
I personally like Staley and would take him at 2-3or 4.

If we can get an extra #2 it would Help. GM Casserly from Houston has said he needs more good ball players rather than 1 excellent player. I think we should do the same.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:11 AM   #197
Tasan
College Starter

I think we can trade down to 4, take a DE, which we desperately need, and then trade with cincy back into the #10 slot. I think we can do this with 2s and 3s, someone look.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #198
Tasan
College Starter

Lets try to run this thing tomorrow, at least some of it. Mike47 says he can be on before noon and between 4-630, not sure on the timezone.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #199
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm available. I don't have alot of meetings scheduled today
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #200
Tasan
College Starter

can anyone be available 4pm eastern? mike and I will be on then and would like to get some things done then