Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #151
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Seems strange that you included that. Are there any (full service) restaurants out there that don't that in this day and age?

In Illinois, everyone had free refills. Out here in CT, not so much. My wife's favorite restaurant, the Cuckoo's Nest, doesn't. Of course, that's where we end up the most often.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #152
General Mike
Pro Starter

Breakfast - Le Peep

Dinner - Charlie Brown's
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #153
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I know it's fast food and not an actual restaurant, but not a day goes by without me missing Sonic Drive-In.

As far as actual chains go, my wife and I love Legal Seafood and go there about every two months or so.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I went there once when they had an all you can eat wings night. You ordered in batches of 6 at a time. It was great!

On every tuesday they have all you can eat wings. Just a massive buffet setup with pretty much every flavor. Good times.

IIRC your wife was from hubbard or something?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #155
sooner333
College Starter

There's now a Pei Wei in Norman, which is great. It's like a cheaper version of PF Changs where you order at the counter and they bring it to your seat. It's my favorite chain in Norman now (other than Charlestons when I mentioned the thread on the first go-round).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #156
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Kwhit mentioned the Melting Pot, if any of you ever have a chance to eat there, do it. I try to go once a year for my birthday.

Fondue kicks ass. Out here we have Simply Fondue as well, which is just as good but a bit cheaper....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #157
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have recent;y begun seeing the ads for 'Joe's Crab Shack', and it looks pretty damn tasty on the ol' TEE VEE.....but so does Taco Bell. Anybody have any experience with this place?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #158
JeeberD
General Manager

Joe's is simply "meh"...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #159
korme
Go Reds

They seem to have popular tees
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #160
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Joe's is simply "meh"...

That's a shame...but not too surprising.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #161
Schmidty
Coordinator

They're kind of pricey, but for service, quality of food, and ambiance, the local Anthonys restaurant chain is the best I've seen around here.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #162
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ruth's Chris is a chain right? Certainly can't complain about their steak....although it seems even the ice cubes are an additional fee, and priced individually. Great place to enjoy when someone else is covering the bill, so I don't ruin my dinner by keeping a running tally of crouton intake.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Anybody every eaten at one of Don Shula's Steakhouses? I think one recently opened around me, and I'd almost be interested in giving it a shot if the word were good.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #164
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Anybody every eaten at one of Don Shula's Steakhouses? I think one recently opened around me, and I'd almost be interested in giving it a shot if the word were good.

The Don Shula steakhouses are awesome, but the waitstaff has this annoying habit of popping a champagne every time you bypass another restaurant.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Joe's Crab Shack was pretty good. I'm guessing a lot of it depends on how close you are to the ocean though. The ones in Hampton Roads were pretty good, not sure about how the northern ones are.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #166
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm a member of the 48 oz. club at Shula's Steakhouse. I ate the three pounder a couple of years ago in Miami to get a contract signed by one of our customers from Italy. He said if I ate it, he'd sign the deal. I finished it in about 30 minutes, and he was so stunned he increased his order.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #167
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm a member of the 48 oz. club at Shula's Steakhouse. I ate the three pounder a couple of years ago in Miami to get a contract signed by one of our customers from Italy. He said if I ate it, he'd sign the deal. I finished it in about 30 minutes, and he was so stunned he increased his order.

I've heard Shula's is really good (a step above Ruth's, Morton's, Palm, ect.) and pretty consistent. It's prime beef.

Quite a business deal. Would he had sign the deal even if you didn't finish it?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #168
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I've heard Shula's is really good (a step above Ruth's, Morton's, Palm, ect.) and pretty consistent. It's prime beef.

Quite a business deal. Would he had sign the deal even if you didn't finish it?

Oh yeah, we were getting the deal regardless. I just makes for a better story to have the deal depend on the steak being eaten.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #169
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

That was nothing for you after eating that Krispy Kreme burger!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #170
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
That was nothing for you after eating that Krispy Kreme burger!

A Krispy Kreme burger?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #171
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
A Krispy Kreme burger?

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...t=Krispy+Kreme
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #172
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I know it's fast food and not an actual restaurant, but not a day goes by without me missing Sonic Drive-In.

We see Sonic commercials on TV all the time and there probably isn't one within 300 miles of Milwaukee which pisses us off.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #173
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
We see Sonic commercials on TV all the time and there probably isn't one within 300 miles of Milwaukee which pisses us off.

That's not true. According to their website, there's one "fairly" close in Davenport, IA- you know, two states and 168mi away But, yes, that is your closest Sonic

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #174
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I noticed that there has been a lot of mixed reviews here about Outback. When one opened near my house in the south 'burbs of Chicago my wife and I thought that both the food and service were excellent. We tried to get another couple to go with us but they told us that they went to one out-of-state and they found it horrible and wouldn't go to one again.

Well, we went to dinner there maybe a month ago after not dining there for about a year and found that both the food and service to have declined to the point that we probably won't go back there again. Too many other good places to spend my hard-earned money.

I also didn't realize that The Original Pancake House existed outside of Illinois so that would get my vote for breakfast/lunch. And I recently ate at Famous Dave's and found the baby backs to be tasty as well as the sides. Only liked the Sweet and Tangy sauce, though. I thought the others were so-so at best. (My sauces are better. )
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #175
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I noticed that there has been a lot of mixed reviews here about Outback. When one opened near my house in the south 'burbs of Chicago my wife and I thought that both the food and service were excellent. We tried to get another couple to go with us but they told us that they went to one out-of-state and they found it horrible and wouldn't go to one again.

Well, we went to dinner there maybe a month ago after not dining there for about a year and found that both the food and service to have declined to the point that we probably won't go back there again. Too many other good places to spend my hard-earned money.

I also didn't realize that The Original Pancake House existed outside of Illinois so that would get my vote for breakfast/lunch. And I recently ate at Famous Dave's and found the baby backs to be tasty as well as the sides. Only liked the Sweet and Tangy sauce, though. I thought the others were so-so at best. (My sauces are better. )

If you do go to Outback again, go for the Kookaburra Wings. They will make you not care at all about the service.

That's funny about The Original Pancake House. I didn't think they existed outside of Michigan, until I moved to Illinois. Good good stuff. We love going there for breakfast at like 2 pm.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #176
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The Original Pancake House is a nice enough place, but Walker Brothers refinement makes it just a little better.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #177
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
The Original Pancake House is a nice enough place, but Walker Brothers refinement makes it just a little better.

Looks like they're suburbs only. We'll have to check it out when we move out there this year.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How the hell can a place not have free refills on coke/pepsi. The cost of a fountain drink is now >2.00 in a lot of places. To limit me to one....man, I think I would never go there.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #179
JeeberD
General Manager

No kidding, and for that $2 soda it costs the restaurant pennies to supply...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, last time I knew, it was something like 50 bucks to make 30 gallons(i think).
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #181
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
If you do go to Outback again, go for the Kookaburra Wings. They will make you not care at all about the service.
I'm sure at some point we will go there again so I'll try the wings. I take it that they are not like normal buffalo wings??
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

168 miles to be exact, Davenport, IA.

edit to add: I imagine you're seeing spots bought nationally, which makes sense for them since they're in roughly 80% of the country & it's actually cheaper to have some wasted coverage than it is to try to buy locally/regionally just to miss those areas you aren't in.
http://www.sonicdrivein.com/business.../marketMap.jsp

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-02-2008 at 12:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #183
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I'm sure at some point we will go there again so I'll try the wings. I take it that they are not like normal buffalo wings??

Right. Oddly enough, their menu used to say they were called Buffalo wings in the States, or something like that. But now that they have something with Buffalo sauce, they took that part out. It's just a different kind of sauce, but I like it a lot.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #184
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's not true. According to their website, there's one "fairly" close in Davenport, IA- you know, two states and 168mi away But, yes, that is your closest Sonic

SI

Iowa actually shares a border with Wisconsin. The shortest route from Milwaukee to Davenport doesn't go through any other states.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #185
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How the hell can a place not have free refills on coke/pepsi. The cost of a fountain drink is now >2.00 in a lot of places. To limit me to one....man, I think I would never go there.

I was at a joint the other day where a waitress came up, asked if I wanted a soda refill, and refilled my glass from a pitcher she was carrying. I was PISSED to later find out I was charged full price for that refill, which I would've never expected...if I'm not getting a fresh, forsty glass and fresh ice, I certainly don't
expect to get tagged for a full-cost refill.

I've also been charged for refills that I don't ask for, and I think it's only to fair if someone's going to pour something in your glass that you haven't asked for, that you're not going to get charged for it...I had that charge removed, but I would assume 95% of customers probably don't notice or let it slide.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #186
Galaxy
Coordinator

How do you see the chain restaurants doing these days with the economy?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #187
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Depends on who they cater to . McDonald's has already seen a spike. I'm sure fast food restaurants will. The Fridays and sort will offer more deals (like 3 course meals for $10 stuff).
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoy that I drive by a Tim Horton's every night now. Their sandwiches were actually pretty lousy when I tried one. But their donuts, bagels and Iced Coffee drinks are excellent.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #189
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola

McDonald's new line of Angus Third Pounders are one of the best fast food burgers around. But the problem is that they are sold in very few places at this time.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #190
JeeberD
General Manager

There are a great many restaurant chains that are hurting right now. I wish I had the info with me that I saw during a training session, but out of like the top 20 major chains/companies only four or five are currently gaining guests and exceeding last year's profits. Luckily for me, I work for one of them...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #191
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have several I love, depending on what the family is in the mood for.

Buffalo Wild Wings (won't ever go to Hooters again)
Famous Dave's BBQ (awesome BBQ outside of a good family owned dive)
Olive Garden (wife's fav)
McAllister's (sweet tea and feed the kids for $2)
Tumbleweed (best steaks outside the high priced steak joints, even better than Outback IMO)
Cheeseburger in Paradise (solely for the Cuban sandwich)

Foreign: Nando's (Portuguese chicken place in England...great sauces)

and high end: Shula's Steakhouse
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #192
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I have several I love, depending on what the family is in the mood for.

Buffalo Wild Wings (won't ever go to Hooters again)
Famous Dave's BBQ (awesome BBQ outside of a good family owned dive)
Olive Garden (wife's fav)
McAllister's (sweet tea and feed the kids for $2)
Tumbleweed (best steaks outside the high priced steak joints, even better than Outback IMO)
Cheeseburger in Paradise (solely for the Cuban sandwich)

Nando's is awesome. First place we go when we go back home to visit my parents. I'm surprised it hasn't made it over the pond yet with this country's obsession with spicy food. Is it not even in the Boston metro area (seem to remember there is a high concentration of Portugese around there, no?)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #193
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I moved next to the best buffet ever, Minado. All kinds of quality Japanese food, including sushi. Sushi is not top notch but still quality and I am picky with my sushi. I wouldn't even try it until a Chinese sushi fanatic friend of mine assured me it was good.

I thought there was only one, but I found out there's about 5 of them, does that count as a chain?

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-18-2008 at 09:03 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #194
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is it me, or do chain restaurants get a bad rap? I mean, independent restaurants are great and I love them, but I do enjoy having chain restaurants if I want a certain food and such. One problem with chains, at least with me, the meals can be heavy.

Thoughts on 99 Restaurant?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-18-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My all time favorite chain is Pal's, which is only found in NE TN/SW VA. Great burgers, great prices. Maybe I wouldn't feel as fondly about Pal's if I could eat there more than once a year when we visit relatives.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #196
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Nando's is awesome. First place we go when we go back home to visit my parents. I'm surprised it hasn't made it over the pond yet with this country's obsession with spicy food. Is it not even in the Boston metro area (seem to remember there is a high concentration of Portugese around there, no?)

There is a Nando's in Chinatown in Washington, DC

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #197
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
I also looked at the chef's table at Citronelle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I'm dying to go there, but never know the required three months in advance that I'll need a table.

I'm guessing Citronelle is a top-notch, breakout your best clothes (and wallet) restaurant in DC?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #198
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

All I know is.. the McRib is back!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #199
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I love eating out .... hmmmm ...

Outback Steakhouse
Nandos (UK)
Bob Evans
The Melting Pot (special occassions only)
Fuyiyama (think thats how you spell it)
TGI Fridays
Wendy's (only junk food place I like really)

Most of the places I love in the UK aren't chains though - they're one off restaurants or pubs ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-19-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #200
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Iowa actually shares a border with Wisconsin. The shortest route from Milwaukee to Davenport doesn't go through any other states.

I discovered this moving out here. We crossed the Mississippi from Iowa to Wisconsin on the final day of driving!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote