Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #151
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

During The Movies, when your characters are doing something, you'll see a little note under their name..

"Going to Trailer"
"Going to Eat"
"On Set"

etc...

An action I saw yesterday was.. "Going to Squeeze One out"... had to laugh at that one.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just to note, there is a way to advertise movies later in the game. I don't know wht it is like, but it is there.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #153
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Just to note, there is a way to advertise movies later in the game. I don't know wht it is like, but it is there.

Yeah, I saw it mentioned in the manuel that you could do something along these lines. But I'm still early in the campaign and haven't gotten to it yet.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #154
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ah, my mistake on the advertising. I'm still very early in the game also, and I haven't read the manual at all, so I didn't know that it was there. I doubt that it's anything worth playing through the first 30 or 40 or whatever years of the campaign to get to it, though.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #155
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Well it has some plusses and minuses.

The font is awful. I got the talent pack and have been trying to play with that but there arent enough "filler" actors. I have no clue how to make a movie succesful, I mean I have created some bombs but dont know what has caused that. Other than that, it is the direction I would rather see a game go. Maybe spend 30% more time improving HM's graphics and 70% of the time keeping on the path of depth, and randomness of events, etc.
HM2 has some shortcomings unless you play with some house rules, such as limiting the number of rewrites for a script. After a while, the game does get repetitive because there is nothing new that enters the game and there is no climbing up the ladder involved. With a five-star script, top talent and promotion, you can make a billion dollars with almost any type of movie.

HM3 -- when and if Carey ever finishes -- has long-promised to improve on the flaws, such as making it more difficult to make blockbusters and making the results more dependable and realistic. There will also be real and interactive competition in the game.

Part of me thanks Carey slowed down on HM3 waiting for The Movies to come out because he was a afraid a big developer release would kill his game. I think he's safe for now.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #156
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Well it has some plusses and minuses.

The font is awful. I got the talent pack and have been trying to play with that but there arent enough "filler" actors. I have no clue how to make a movie succesful, I mean I have created some bombs but dont know what has caused that. Other than that, it is the direction I would rather see a game go. Maybe spend 30% more time improving HM's graphics and 70% of the time keeping on the path of depth, and randomness of events, etc.

One of the more fun things to do is find unknown talent and make them huge stars. I forget the exact words, but at the top of the box that has the talent in it, there is something like "worldwide talent search." If you click that, you can generate new talent. Keep generating new talent (you have to name them and put in descriptions for them) until you get some solid 5 star talent. Then, keep using them and promoting them and watch them get too expensive for you.

Like Pumpy said, there are ways to succeed. The biggest things to remember are use five star talent as much as possible, polish your scripts until they are nearly perfect, release films appropriately (blockbusters in the Summer months, romantic comedies in February, horror in October, etc.) and advertise like crazy.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #157
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

Part of me thanks Carey slowed down on HM3 waiting for The Movies to come out because he was a afraid a big developer release would kill his game. I think he's safe for now.

Like you said, it is a good start and I think, there is an avenue to make one of the greatest games ever this way. NOT down the other path, of dumbing things down, or making the micromanaging silly. I hate to keep harkening back to it, but take my example of that police career game. A rookie, through the academy, where how he does there effects his attribnutes, gets out, has to ride beat, partners up, partner sttributes, a disc full of random events that occur, that blend, that roll into eachother.

Remember for commodore that game Alter-Ego? Take that times 1000, add some graphics, add a premise, in this case Police officer but could be substituted for anything, etc etc and I think its a game that could garner 75% purchase rate among PC gamers.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #158
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anyone know what a red exclamation mark over EVERYONE'S head means? It seems as thought my movies have stopped being made... but it doesn't say what's wrong.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #159
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It means they have an important problem...Could be stressed, unhappy, etc. right click on them to find out...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #160
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, I'll look into it closer then, thanks.

I wish there was an even more general "movie making" option than Sandbox. You still have to build the sets, hire actors, extras, etc.. I just want to make movies.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #161
WrongWay
Banned

Still trying very hard to talk myself into this.

Can someone talk about Player Development. Can you sign a young unkown kid from Iowa straight off the bus to a longterm, lifetime, multi-picture deal because you see a bright future ahead of him. You know the saying, Buy low, sell high.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #162
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have made it upto 1935. Premade scripts now require 2 actors. Nearly had my first 3 star movie though. I've got one actor that has nearly maxed out action, and a director that is the same. Finally hired another actor, to give myself 3. I will probably add a max of 1 more.

I have made the decision to pump 2 or my 3 researchers into technology, and the other into general. I am about 10 years ahead of the curve in technology.

My only complaint so far is managing my actors, takes some doing to keep them happy. I won my first award, and even though my studio is in 5th place, I know that I would run ragged trying to compete with the number 1 studio, so I have made it a point not to.

I do have one gameplay tip. Specialize your actors and directors to begin with. Don't try to do every genre, because your movies will suffer. I have had good results just focusing on 1 or 2 genres for each actor and director.

If I make it through the game once, and have interest to play again, I might play with a cheat to keep my peeps happy, and try to have a large studio. I think it would be best to have a main actor for every genre, and a director.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #163
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Wrongway: You don't sign contracts with your stars, you just pay them a salary. You have no control of who shows up on your doorstep either, kind of a crapshoot. Havent played around with the starmaker, so I am not sure if you can import them somehow into the game. Would love to do a FOFC themed cast.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #164
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Wrongway: You don't sign contracts with your stars, you just pay them a salary.
Thanks for the info.

BTW--- Is there a user adjustable difficulty setting? (Easy, Medium. Hard, Impossible)
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #165
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Havent played around with the starmaker, so I am not sure if you can import them somehow into the game. Would love to do a FOFC themed cast.

You should be able to import them, that's what Starmaker was meant to do. People on The Movies board have said that it is also a way to solve the not enough actors problem that some reviews brought up. Just add more using starmaker.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #166
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is there a way to cut or extend sound in the post-production screen? All the music they have is either too long or too short for what I need.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #167
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Thanks for the info.

BTW--- Is there a user adjustable difficulty setting? (Easy, Medium. Hard, Impossible)

I didn't see one in the options screen. Might have to look again though

Old 11-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #168
MikeVic
Head Coach

My first movie where I took it from script to finish...

hxxp://movies.lionhead.com/movie/2795
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #169
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic

Better then AI, not quite as good as Ishtar.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #170
Swaggs
Coordinator

Has anyone made a sports movie yet? Or is that possible?

I would be rolling out football and baseball movies.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #171
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I laughed, I cried..

Does all dialog have to be subtitles, or is there some spoken speech in the game?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #172
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I laughed, I cried..

Does all dialog have to be subtitles, or is there some spoken speech in the game?

You have to talk yourself... and I didn't feel like making various voices at 1am when I started doing the sound.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #173
Airhog
Captain Obvious

The more i play this game, the less I enjoy it.

It was fun in the early days, not much to worry about. but now, my cast is ballooning, because now all of my movies require 3 actors, which means I need 6 on board to rotate. Another problem is in order to product 3 star movies you have to shoot like 9 scenes. Even if my actors are well rested, they cannot finish 9 scenes without having there stress in the tank, and boozing it up. The only way to get the movie to finish is to force them on the set for the shooting.

I think this games biggest problem is babysitting your talent. You cannot automate anything, and that is a huge letdown. I hate having to drag my three writers into the office when I want to write a script.

In all honesty, I wish they had just abstracted three areas, research, script writing, and maintnence. Or at least made the first two automated so whenever I research something and I cannot research anymore, my lab guys don't wander off. Same goes for the writers.

And since I cannot seem to shoot more than one movie, and by the time i release a movie I am not making any money, my studio is going into the tank at a slow rate.

I have no clue, how to get my stars rating upto 3 in order to get the next level either.

I hate to say it, but this game feels more like work, then fun right now. Maybe 3 or 4 patches will correct this, but I do not think I will finish the single player game, unless I find some cheats or something.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #174
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The more i play this game, the less I enjoy it.

It was fun in the early days, not much to worry about. but now, my cast is ballooning, because now all of my movies require 3 actors, which means I need 6 on board to rotate. Another problem is in order to product 3 star movies you have to shoot like 9 scenes. Even if my actors are well rested, they cannot finish 9 scenes without having there stress in the tank, and boozing it up. The only way to get the movie to finish is to force them on the set for the shooting.

I think this games biggest problem is babysitting your talent. You cannot automate anything, and that is a huge letdown. I hate having to drag my three writers into the office when I want to write a script.

In all honesty, I wish they had just abstracted three areas, research, script writing, and maintnence. Or at least made the first two automated so whenever I research something and I cannot research anymore, my lab guys don't wander off. Same goes for the writers.

And since I cannot seem to shoot more than one movie, and by the time i release a movie I am not making any money, my studio is going into the tank at a slow rate.

I have no clue, how to get my stars rating upto 3 in order to get the next level either.

I hate to say it, but this game feels more like work, then fun right now. Maybe 3 or 4 patches will correct this, but I do not think I will finish the single player game, unless I find some cheats or something.

What you just described just made me want to buy it more, not less. I like control, even if it involves micro-management. Also, I like a challenge, and this definitely sounds like one.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #175
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It is possible to unlock everything in the sandbox mode, for those of you that just wish to make movies...

There is a method to unlock everything in Sandbox mode:
Turn on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in Tools > Folder Options of any Folder window.
Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name]\Application Data\Lionhead Studios\The Movies\Unlocking.ini (Where [Your User Name] is the name you use to login to the computer)
Look for the Unlocking.ini file. If it's not there, jump to step A.
Double click the file, to edit. Change the file so it looks exactly like this:
Quote:
highest_decade = 2000
[prizes]
RANKPRIZE_1
RANKPRIZE_2
RANKPRIZE_3
RANKPRIZE_4
RANKPRIZE_5
RANKPRIZE_6
RANKPRIZE_7
RANKPRIZE_8
RANKPRIZE_9
RANKPRIZE_10
RANKPRIZE_11
RANKPRIZE_12
RANKPRIZE_13
RANKPRIZE_14
RANKPRIZE_15
RANKPRIZE_16
RANKPRIZE_17
RANKPRIZE_18
RANKPRIZE_19
RANKPRIZE_20
RANKPRIZE_21
RANKPRIZE_22
RANKPRIZE_23
RANKPRIZE_24
RANKPRIZE_25

Old 11-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #176
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think this review deals with a lot of the problem Airhog has with the game and really made me feel better about purchasing it. In fact, I'm off to buy it right now.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #177
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
It is possible to unlock everything in the sandbox mode, for those of you that just wish to make movies...

Thanks, I'm going to try that out. I was getting frustrated with some of the single player parts, and I really just want to make moives.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #178
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

That was awesome. Great job!
Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #179
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I actually created pumpy tudors, and shorty in the star maker, but neither of them look much like their pictures. I wish that they could have used something like the newer tony hawk games, where you use a photo to create their face. I already have an idea for a FOFC movie, but the most limiting part is that their are not many main actors...

Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #180
Flasch186
Coordinator

ahem

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #181
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Sorry flasch, I got tired after the first two actors, although I might be able to use you in a gas station scene...

Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #182
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's cheating you lazy bastards!!!!

I'll have to try that tomorrow night....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #183
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
That was awesome. Great job!

Thanks. I'm surprised that one of the comments for my movie in that link picked out something I was going after (not being able to tell who the hero was).

Where's your movie?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #184
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, by the way.. is there a cheat code for keeping your actors happy?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #185
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Not in the SP mode Mustang, but in the sandbox you can check a box that keeps them from getting unhappy...You could also start the game in 1930 and play it just like the normal game

Old 11-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #186
Airhog
Captain Obvious

dola: If you start the game in 2000, everthing is unlocked. If you wanna just make movies, then I would check everything but the pre-built studio.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #187
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Where's your movie?

I'm only up to the mid-1930's right now. I don't have the technology yet.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #188
wogitalia
n00b

Quote:
Sadly, how many games do you come across that you play for more than 30 days, anyway?

That got me thinking and as a result im going to try and list every game on any console that actually passes that test, so here we go.

Nintendo
Rad Gravity
Mario 1 and 3
Faxanadu
Zelda 1
Battletoads
International Cricket
Aussie Rules Football
NES Golf
Time Lords
Double Dragon III

Super Nintendo
Unirally
Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Killer Instinct

Nintendo 64
Golden Eye
Mario Kart
Wrestlemania

Xbox
Madden 05
ESPN NBA 2k6
Blitz:The League

Sega Genesis/Megadrive
Mutant League Ice Hockey/Football
Toejam and Earl

PC
Starcraft
Warcraft 1,2 and 3
Diabo II
Myth II
Transport Tycoon
Front Office Football(College Years)
Fast Break Basketball
Football Manager and Championship Manager(all of them since 2)
International Cricket Captain
Horse Racing Manager
Civ 1 and only Civ 1

Im probably blanking on some games that should be there, but off the top of my head thats all that comes to mind and I have played nearly every PC game there is, basically every Xbox game since 2003 and a lot of Super Nintendo and Nintendo. Its actually funny that I still play the original Nintendo games today that I bought 10 years ago over games that I've got in the last month. Most games I play these days dont even get a second try they are that lacking. Its all flash no substance which ruins the majority. A lot of games with the substance just bury it with stupid bugs and incredibly slow waiting times in them.
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #189
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia
That got me thinking and as a result im going to try and list every game on any console that actually passes that test, so here we go.

Civ 1 and only Civ 1

If you haven't already, you should try Civ 4.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #190
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

wogitalia is obviously a clone of jbmagic if he has the time to play all of those games for 30 days.

And how the hell do you get 30 days of play out of Blitz: The League? First, has it even been out for 30 days yet? Second, what do you find to do for 30 days in that game? I mean, I like the game and all, but I can't find 30 days worth of things to do in it.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-13-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #191
heybrad
Norm!!!

Just bought this today. I'll give my opinions later.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #192
cody8200
High School Varsity

Im into 1945. No cheating. I havent had any problems managing my actors. Sometimes it can be a bit annoying but if you add someone to their entourage or give them a better salary or buy them a new trailer they generally are pretty happy. You need to also make sure you keep their fashion level high and their image. It sounds like a lot but its not too much.

I like the movie maker and I have personally made 5 movies or so all of which have sucked. Fortunately, I see real potential to make good movies. I own this and Civ 4 right now. I love Civ 4. I've been playing The Movies non-stop.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #193
Critch
lolzcat

Just started playing, so far I've restarted a few times so I haven't got very far. Only in 1923, just filmed the first AI scripted story line, it was supposed to be a comedy but it ended up just being my male star punching the crap out of a female extra and then menacing her til she cowered and cried. So not the best comedy ever made.

I need to give it more time, but it's not wowing me yet.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #194
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
wogitalia is obviously a clone of jbmagic if he has the time to play all of those games for 30 days.

And how the hell do you get 30 days of play out of Blitz: The League? First, has it even been out for 30 days yet? Second, what do you find to do for 30 days in that game? I mean, I like the game and all, but I can't find 30 days worth of things to do in it.

You are SO judmental.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:11 PM   #195
Airhog
Captain Obvious

well, I am almost done with my first FOFC parody movie. I tried using some headphones for a mic, since I do not have one, but that didnt work, so I think i will have to settle for subtitles

Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #196
daedalus
Pro Rookie

By the way, in case anyone is interested, there is a thread on Octopus Overlord [formerly Gone Gold] discussing various strategies and things folks have tried: hxxp://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22215&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Im on the fence on getting this. I liked the Sims, played it for awhile, then lost my copy when i was moving, and never bought it again. I also liked Hollywood Mogul a ton, although i never bought the 2.5 version. Had a copy of the 2.0 version i think on an old machine. This should be right up my alley then, right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #198
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Here is my first attempt of making a movie...

http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/2073

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-14-2005 at 09:11 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #199
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Here is my first attempt of making a movie...

http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/2073

Wow, I want the five minutes of my life back.

Seriously, this could end up being pretty fun. All the FOFC'ers with the game sumbit their 'Oscar' nominee, and then we all vote on the awards.

Last edited by moriarty : 11-14-2005 at 09:25 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #200
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Wow, I want the five minutes of my life back.

Seriously, this could end up being pretty fun. All the FOFC'ers with the game sumbit their 'Oscar' nominee, and then we all vote on the awards.

Lmao - thanks

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote