Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, August 28, 2003

Cottagers Interested In Greening?

LONDON-- Reports out of the capital city are saying that Fulham has made a loan offer for the services of Middlesbrough forward Jonathon Greening.

Interim manager Matthew Kieta said he had not made Greening available for loan, and that he had no interest in moving him.

"Jonathon is very critical to this team right now, especially considering he can play on the right wing," Kieta said, referring to perhaps the Boro's shallowest position.

Ironically, Greening was on the sheet for Middlesbrough's match against Fulham, but was never subbed in during the Boro's 3-1 win. Greening has made just one appearance on the season so far, starting at right wing against Birmingham City last week.

Kieta said Greening performed well in that road loss and has done nothing to lessen his role with the squad.

Greening, 24, is a versatile player who can play either wing, the midfield spots and the forward spots. He saw regular first eleven time last year, appearing in 38 matches and scoring two goals, but the arrival of Gaizka Mendieta on loan from lazio has pushed him to a primary reserve role.

Fulham also reportedly wanted a transfer bid option worked into the deal, which might have nixed any possibility the young forward was going anywhere.

Celta Sign Away Edu

Arsenal sold off its second big ticket reserve in three days when they agreed to allow the volatile midfielder-winger Edu to leave for Primera Liga side Celta for £5.75 M.

Edu goes to Spain just two days after Arsenal sent Nigerian striker Kanu to Serie A power Juventus in Italy.

The Brazlian Edu was at the center of controversy last month when he complained to the media that the acquisition of Simon Perrotta from Chievo would bring in too many players at his position at Highbury.

At the time, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said Edu would not be going anywhere, and rumors of the midfielder's transfer out had died away.

Edu, 25, could see first eleven action for Celta, something he wasn't seeing with the Gunners. Edu had only made one substitute appearance so far for Arsenal this season, without distinguishing himself.

Edu scored two goals in 18 appearances with the English superpower last season. He signed a three-year £675,000 contract with the Spanish club.

Radebe Announces Retirement

Leeds' commanding centreback Lucas Radebe announced that he would retire from football at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.

Radebe, 34, was once a first eleven regular for United, appearing in at least 27 matches each season from 1996 to 2000. Since then, he has seen much more sporadic reserve time, with 20 appearances in 2000-01, 19 appearances in 2002-03, and a spot with the reserves the entire 2001-02 season.

"I just feel it is time," Radebe told reporters Wednesday. "I have played a game I love for a long time, but it is now in the hands of a younger generation. Leeds is a great place to play footy, and I hope to make my last season here a memorable one. I still feel like I am in my prime. I want to go out on a high."

Thanks to Leeds' demolition of its own roster for financial reasons, Radebe is back on the first eleven at Elland Road.

In an eleven year career, Radebe has never scored a goal in stints with Leeds and his former South African squad the Kaizer Chiefs. He has appeared in 185 matches since his professional career began in 1992, most of them with Leeds, where he remains very popular with the supporters.

"It's a sad day for United and its supporters," Leeds manager Eddie Gray said. "Lucas has been terrific for this club. He is a great leader and well-liked in the engine room."

Gray said he hadn't considered yet whether the defender would be offered a post-career position with the club, although it was certainly a possibility.

Gray said they would dedicate the rest of the season to Radebe, who told his manager and squad mates the news shortly before announcing the press conference Wednesday morning.

Radebe has been playing with United since the 1994-95 season.

The South African is already retired from international football. He appeared in 70 matches for his native South Africa, and did what he has not done in his club career--scored a goal. Two international goals, to be exact.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:06 AM   #152
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, August 29, 2003

Wenger: Aliadière Available After All

LONDON-- Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger did an about face Thursday and said he would be willing to move striker Jérémie Aliadière for the right price.

"Jérémie deserves a shot at major playing time," Wenger said. "He has huge upside, but he is trapped behind some pretty good players here."

Wenger emphasized he would only move the 20-year-old prospect striker for an offer that equals his value to the Gunners.

Alaidière has been linked to a move to Middlesbrough this week as Boro interim manager Matthew Kieta continues to search for help up front.

Whatever price Wenger is seeking, Kieta said "it's not two and a half million pounds."

That was what Kieta said he offered the boss for the striker, with additional incentives.

"I think Aliadière is a great talent," Kieta said Thursday. "But I can't see giving much more than that for him right now. It's not like he's a proven performer just yet."

A report by Football365.com Monday suggested the Gunners wouldn't accept less than £11 M for the striker.

Kieta said "not a chance" when asked if he thought the Boro could come up with that kind of cash.

Aliadière is a product of Arsenal's youth system and has never played professioanlly outside of the superpower club. In three appearances with the Gunners last season, he scored one goal.

With Kanu off to Juventus and the departure of Edu leaving more time for Sylvain Wiltord in the midfield, Aliadière is expected to receive much more playing time as a primary reserve behind star strikers Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:33 AM   #153
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, August 29, 2003

UEFA Wraps Up Qualifying

Man City Among Handful of British Isle Teams To Make The First Round

Manchester City defeated Eridivisie side Brondby 4-1 in Denmark Thursday to secure a berth in UEFA's first round draw. The two-leg qualifying round saw the Citizens win by a 6-3 aggregate score.

City joins Premiership first seeds Liverpool, Blackburn and Southampton in the draw for the second most prestigious club tournament in Europe.

The draw will be held Saturday.

In addition to Man City, Scottish Premier Division side Dundee United got in, defeating Armenian squad Bavants 6-2 overall. United joins Hearts in the UEFA competition.

The qualifying round also saw the only entries possible from other areas of the British Isles, including Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Welsh side Total Network Solutions edged out Czech First Division side Teplice 3-2 aggregate, but league mate Cwmbran Town fell 4-1 to Olimpija of Slovenia.

Northern Irish League Premier Division squad Portadown won out in a meeting of Irish clubs by defeating Irish Premier Division club Derry City on away scores, 3-3.

The Republic of Ireland won't be without some representation, though, as Shelbourne defeated Valletta of Malta, 6-1, to easily get into the competition.

Northern Ireland squad Coleraine lost to Bosnian club Zeljesnicar 5-2 on aggregate.

The 41 winners of the qualifying round leg wrapped up Thursday will be entered in the draw with 36 first seeds, which include some of the top sides in the top leagues, as well as the 16 third qualifying round losers from the Champions League and three sides which won the Inter Toto Cup competition.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:54 AM   #154
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Celta Sign Away Edu

Arsenal sold off its second big ticket reserve in three days when they agreed to allow the volatile midfielder-winger Edu to leave for Primera Liga side Celta for £5.75 M.

Edu goes to Spain just two days after Arsenal sent Nigerian striker Kanu to Serie A power Juventus in Italy.

The Brazlian Edu was at the center of controversy last month when he complained to the media that the acquisition of Simon Perrotta from Chievo would bring in too many players at his position at Highbury.

At the time, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said Edu would not be going anywhere, and rumors of the midfielder's transfer out had died away.

Edu, 25, could see first eleven action for Celta, something he wasn't seeing with the Gunners. Edu had only made one substitute appearance so far for Arsenal this season, without distinguishing himself.

Edu scored two goals in 18 appearances with the English superpower last season. He signed a three-year £675,000 contract with the Spanish club.
It's really odd that the game would have him complain, of all people. Edu had been amazingly good about his lack of playing time.

The coolest part of this signing, of course, is that Celta already has a 25 year old Brazillian winger name . . . Edu. Yup, this makes two. [Arsenal recently played against Celta where Edu scored the first three goals of the game, 2 from Arsenal's Edu and one from the other.]
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:55 AM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, August 30, 2003

América de Cali Rejects Final Boro Offer For Castillo

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Colombian First Division side América de Cali has rejected the Boro's latest offer for striker Jairo Fernando Castillo, the Premiership club announced Friday.

"It was worth a last shot," interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said. "I really thought they might consider it this time."

Kieta said the club offered the Colombian side £3.4 M, plus incentives and a percentage of future sale fees, with the major change from previous offers being that the Boro would have Castillo tranfserred at the end of the Colombian First Division fixture, near the end of December. The next transfer window opens on January 1, 2004.

América de Cali refused to be swayed by their striker's own announced preference to be allowed to leave for a major club like Middlesbrough. Castillo could not be reached for comment Friday.

The 25-year-old striker has 17 goals in 35 appearances for the COlombian squad, and has also racked up 22 caps for Colombia, scoring six international goals.

With Castillo out of the picture for now and Arsenal's Jérémie Aliadière reportedly too pricey for the Boro to pursue, it looks like Kieta will be standing pat with his front line, at least for the rest of 2003.

Inconsistency up front led to a fervent search by Kieta for striker help. In the Boro's first three matches, five strikers split up the six starts, with four goals scored by the group. Only Joseph Désiré Job has more than one goal-- he scored two against Fulham on Monday.

The transfer window for the early period closes Sunday night.

Under-19er Van Geele Hurt

Defender Michael Van Geele of the Middlesbrough Under-19 squad suffered fractured ribs in an accidental collision with another player in training Friday.

The 17-year-old Belgian prospect was taken to the hospital with pain in his side after the accident, where the injury was later diagnosed.

Van Geele will miss about two weeks with the injury.

Parnaby Called Up To England Under-21s

Reserve defensive midfielder Stuart Parnaby was notified Friday that he would be on the roster for the England Under-21 squad's matches with FYR of Macedonia on September 5 and Liechtenstein on September 9.

Parnaby, 21 and barely qualified by age, said it was an "honor" to represent his county with the youthful squad.

Parnaby has been playing with the Boro reserves this season, although interim manager Matthew Kieta says he considers Parnaby depth on the backline and would have him on the first team "if sitting ont he bench would help him grow as a player".

Parnaby appeared in 21 matches with the Boro first team last season.

Kieta, asked if he gave the defender any instructions, said, "I told him to not get hurt."

Old 03-07-2004, 03:00 AM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
It's really odd that the game would have him complain, of all people. Edu had been amazingly good about his lack of playing time.

The coolest part of this signing, of course, is that Celta already has a 25 year old Brazillian winger name . . . Edu. Yup, this makes two. [Arsenal recently played against Celta where Edu scored the first three goals of the game, 2 from Arsenal's Edu and one from the other.]

Yeah, I'm just going on what the game gives me there. In game, he is listed as being temperamental, so his outburst in-game makes sense.

Checked out Celta. Sure enough, there's a striker there named Edu. Funny stuff.

What did you think of the Kanu move and the Aliadière rumors? I honestly pursued Aliadière in game before anyone her ementioned him (I can't remember if that was you or someone else). I thought that was a funny coincidence.

CR

Old 03-07-2004, 03:32 AM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Porto Stuns Milan In Super Cup

MONACO-- Maybe the UEFA is actually the most prestigious club competition in Europe.

UEFA trophy holder Porto shocked Champions League holder AC Milan, 2-1, in the Super Cup Friday in front of 18,505 at the Stade Louis II in Monaco.

The UEFA champ victory was the first in the series matching up the winners of Europe's top two competitions from the previous season since 2000, when Turkish power Galatsaray beat Primera Liga superpower Real Madrid.

The match was a tightly-fought defensive battle for much of the running time. The first half ended in a scoreless draw.

It wasn't far into the second half, though, when Porto put an end to that.

Forward Marco Ferreira jumped on a rebound of his own crossing pass in the 50th minute. The pass, an attempt to reach striker Benni McCarthy, was headed off by defender Kakhaber Kaladze. When the ball bounced back to the left of the goal box, Ferreira got to the ball before fullback Paolo Maldini could reach him. Ferreira blasted a high and hard shot just inside the right post. It sailed past Milan goalkeeper Dida for the first score of the match.

Porto moved it up a notch further in the 64th minute.

Fullback Nuno Valente took a clearing pass along the right touch line and sent a long pass forward to César Peixoto, angling into the penalty area. Piexoto, under pressure, sent a soft centering floater into the box, where striker Ricardo was battling Milan midfielder Rui Costa. The Portuguese forward beat Costa in the air and sent a header shot just inside the left post, before Dida could make his way over.

Milan's Dutch forward Jon Dahl Tomasson would get the Italian powerhouse a little closer with a 78th minute score, but it was too late, as Porto held on for the huge upset.

"This is a huge win for Porto," said manager José Mourinho, "and an even bigger win for the nation of Portugal."

Valente received the Super Cup Man of the Match award for his strong play at both ends of the pitch, and his role in what ended up being the game-winning goal.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:53 AM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Middlesbrough (2-0-1) at Everton (1-1-1)

When: 12:30 p.m.
Where: Goodison Park, Liverpool
Forecast: 11º C
Middlesbrough Out: DC Ugo Ehiogu, ML Allan Johnston, ML Lionel Morgan, ML Stuart Downing
Everton Out: None

Outlook: Everton is looking for redemption after a 3-0 shellacking at the hands of the Rovers in Blackburn last Saturday. The Blues were picked by many to contend for Europe and even a Top Five spot in the league this season, but the offense is off to a rough start, with only three goals in three matches. Offense was not expected to be a problem for a side with a high-quality three-headed monster at forward in the persons of young star Wayne Rooney, veteran Tomasz Radzinski and the steady Kevin Campbell. The Boro are riddled with injuries right now, especially on the wing, but they have been playing well. They were very strong in wins over Fulham and Tottenham and played well ina road loss to Birmingham. Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta on Friday ruled wingers Downing and Morgan out of the match, saying he would prefer to err on the side of caution with respect to their injuries.

FA Barclaycard Premiership Game of the Round

Chelsea at Arsenal (Monday)

Chelsea hasn't started off as well as its fans would like after all that money was spent to upgrade the roster in the offseason. While the club did qualify for the Champions League on Wednesday, they are 1-2-0 in league play, including a 2-1 loss to the Bolton Wanderers. This could be a gut check match for the Blues. It doesn't get much harder than going to Highbury and playing the Gunners, whom have started off strong. Arsenal beat Manchester United in the Community Shield and in the league opener, and then handily beat Southampton on the road, before finally sweating a little last Saturday against Aston Villa. Of course, they still won. The Gunners will be playing their first match without departed players Kanu and Edu, whom were transferred out to Juventus and Celta respectively this past week.

The Rest of the Matches

Tottenham at Birmingham
Blackburn at Charlton
Middlesbrough at Everton
Portsmouth at Leeds
Wolverhampton at Leicester City
Aston Villa at Southampton
Newcastle at Bolton (Sunday)
Manchester City at Fulham (Sunday)
Liverpool at Manchester United (Sunday)

Old 03-07-2004, 04:30 AM   #159
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just going on what the game gives me there. In game, he is listed as being temperamental, so his outburst in-game makes sense.
Oh, definitely. That's what I figured anyway. It's just interesting to see that.
Quote:
What did you think of the Kanu move and the Aliadière rumors? I honestly pursued Aliadière in game before anyone her ementioned him (I can't remember if that was you or someone else). I thought that was a funny coincidence.
Yeah, it was me who mentioned Aliadière. He's a big prospect with with the Gunners. He was JUST finally getting his chance because of Bergkamp's and Wiltord's injuries and Kanu's international duty when he got hurt. That sucked.

I figured I'd mentioned him just after you'd approach the Boss about him when you mentioned that it was funny that I would have mentioned his name. Hee hee.

I ended up selling Kanu both times I started CM 01/02 (first in the demo, then after I got the game). Some team always comes in with a 10M offer - which I generally convert into Larsson. In real life, Kanu's contract comes up at the end of this season (you can make a move for him on Bosman in January, I believe). I'm hoping he'll stay to give us another veteran striker to rely on since I think he can fill Bergkamp's role well. Unfortunately, the possibility of that is low right now with Reyes on board, both Aliadière and Bentley making strong showing in the Carling Cup and Arsenal needing to save money where they can.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:48 AM   #160
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bosman. Now there's my time to shine. I'm going to be looking for deals all over the place.

It bugs to see these great transfer deals going around, and I get a shade under £5 M from my owner--and he is considered "Secure" for club finances. I can't imagine what the "Okay" level that some Premiership teams have (Leeds comes to mind) means.

Oh well, I just make do. In case you couldn't tell, I really liked Castillo. That guy's a great looking player. I'm going to be keeping my eye on him, just like Aliadière and Llarsson and Kanu.

Keep on reading. Arsenal's Champions League grouping is going to be announced soon.

CR

Old 03-07-2004, 06:56 AM   #161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, August 31, 2003

Boro Escape Goodison With A Draw

The Two Sides Combine For Nineteen Shots, But Fail To Score A Goal

LIVERPOOL-- The Blues have been having some problems scoring goals of late. Middlesbrough's visit to Goodison Park didn't improve that any.

Fortunately for the home side, the defense was up to snuff, and the Blues and Boro marched out of the stadium with a 0-0 draw.

Despite the lack of scoring, there were 19 shots in the match, with both sides leaving plenty of golden opportunities wasted on the pitch.

Everton goalkeeper Richard Wright and Middlesbrough keepers Mark Schwarzer and Carlos Nash--a late-match replacement--all distinguished themselves with outstanding saves, while at other times, they were just plain lucky as normally reliable players missed easy chances.

Middlesbrough took 10 shots, six of them on goal, to Everton's six and four. Despite being on the road, the Boro made a good show of ball control for much of the match.

"Really, if things just break a little this way or that, we could have won this one big," Kieta said. "And, really, we could have lost it big, too. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. I'm pretty happy to get a draw out of this one."

The Boro had some of their best chances in the last 15 minutes of the first half.

In the 31st minute, midfielder Gaizka Mendieta sent a precise floating pass from near the right touchline to fellow midfielder Juninho, whom had found a slot in the defense and had an open look at the net from just inside the center of the penalty area. Juninho's header curled toward the right post before curling softly away and out of bounds.

In the 41st minute, Joseph-Désiré Job tooka long pass along the left touchline from fullback Salvatore Fresi when he got a step on Blues winger James McFadden. Job angled into the left of the penalty area and the goal line before striking a low centering pass in the general direction of strikers Massimo Maccarone and Michael Ricketts. Everton centreback David Weir deflected the pass, though, while charging hard at Job, and the ball deflected to fullback Danny Mills, standing alone near the edge of the penalty area. Mills struck a left-footed strike toward the net, but the ball sailed wide right of the goal.

Just a minute later, winger Boudewijn Zenden sent an in-swerving corner directly into the middle of a crowded goal box. Defender Chris Riggott won the aerial challenge but was unable to put it on goal, so he headed it back up the left goalline to Zenden. Zenden hit a low centering pass into the edge of the goalbox, to Maccarone. Maccarone, whose bvack was to the goal, tried to maneuver around for what would hvae been almost a point blank shot but centreback Joseph Yobo excuted a perfect sliding tackle and dislodged the ball into the outer penalyt area. Boro defender Gareth Southgate came up on the pass and sent a hard shot right at the net, but Wright was in perfect place to clutch it.

In the 45th minute, Mendieta set up Job with a similar pass to the one which freed him for a goalline centering pass in the 40th minute. This time, Job got the pass off before Weir could come close enough to disrupt the pass. The ball went a little high, though, and fullback Alessandro Pistone headed the ball out into the center of the pitch, beating Zenden in the air. Mills stepped up and hit a hard shot right at the net, but Wright made a brilliant dive to his right to knock it sideways. Before a Boro attacker could jump on the rebound, Pistone again came through and cleared the ball to the centerline.

The Boro had another great chance early in the second half. In the 46th minute, Mendieta collected the ball off of an errant pass near the far side of the kickoff circle and went on a run right down the heart of the Blues' defense. Conscious of Mendieta's passing abilities, the Everton defenders didn't immediately close on him, keeping tabs on the wingers and other attackers. This allowed Mendieta an almost unchallenged run into the penalty area. Mendieta unleashed what looked to be a powerful shot, but he caught the ball wrong and the shot petered out softly toward the goal, easily stopped by Wright.

"The goal was wide open," Mendieta said. "Nine times out of ten, that one goes in. But this time, I took a misstep."

It was just a couple minutes later when the Blues got their first great chance. Midfielder Thomas Gravesen picked up a backpass header off of a Boro freekick and sent an on the mark floater to striker Wayne Rooney 15 yards in from the right touchline and charging toward the penalty area. Rooney lofted a sot centering pass to fellow striker Tomasz Radzinski. The veteran striker had just an edge of a step on Riggott, who was marking him, and an open shot at Schwarzer and the net. Radzinski let go of a hard and high strike for the right corner, but the ball kept sailing and missed wide and up by inches.

In the 57th minute, fullback David Unsworth intercepted an errant dribble by Job near the centerline and worked a straight centering pass to Gravesen. The midfielder immediately turned it back out to the right toucvhline, where McFadden had a step on his marker in Mills. McFadden charged right into the penalty area toward the box, and Southgate wasn't going to be able to get over in time to help Schwarzer out. Fortunately for the Boro, McFadden misfired sending his shot harmlessly into the sidenetting.

The close calls continued. Juninho had a shot sail over the crossbar after splitting the defense on a run similar to Mendieta's previous run. Mendieta kicked a hard shot at the net during one exchange that ended up going directly at Wright.

The Boro had a gut check time, though, in the 74th minute. Mark Schwarzer had picked up a knock and had to come off the pitch, bringing in reserve keeper Nash in cold for his first ever regular season action with Middlesbrough.

Nash was up to the task, though. In the 86th minute, McFadden took a run deep into the right corner before sending a well-placed pass into the six-yard pass. Rooney had a clear shot at the goal, but Nash made an amazing leap to his left and sent the ball skipping back out into the goalbox. Fresi came back and cleared the ball out of danger. Gravesen also tested Nash, requiring the keeper to make a save on a free kick by the midfielder.

"I couldn't be prouder of our keepers," Kieta said. "They both really came to play today. Mark continues to be solid, and to have a great backup like Carlo ready to go in a second, as he proved today, that's just a luxury."

Kieta refused to comment about the play of the forwards, an area which has troubled the Boro skipper this season. Ratings officials gave both Maccarone and Ricketts lackluster 5's for their performances Saturday. Both forwards were dominated in the air by Everton's defenders, and neither ended up with a shot on goal.

Speaking of domination, the scorekekeeper awarded Riggott for his similarly powerful performance in front of the Boro net, naming him the Man of the Match. Riggott was simply phenomenal, winning an amazing 35 out of 37 headers, collecting five tackles and stealing seven interceptions. The numbers alone don't even begin to flesh out just how critical the young defender's play was, as he received a 9 from the raters.

The Boro will take off a couple weeks now along with most of Europe as a couple rounds of international play begins, including the continuing European Championships Qualifying. Middlesbrough's next match won't be until September 13, when they meet up at Riverside Stadium with Charlton.

Four Boros Off To Internationals

Four first team players discovered they had been asked to join their national sides for the critical round of international matches that will be played over the next few weeks.

Defender Gareth Southgate has been called up to England's national side, centreback reserve Brian Close has been valled to action for Northern Ireland, and the Netherlands has placed winger Boudewijn Zenden on its national roster as well. All three will see action in the upcoming European Championships Qualifying.

The fourth player called up was star midfielder Juninho to Brazil's powerful national side. The CONMEBOL World Cup 2006 Qualifying Round has begun for South American teams, which is earlier than any of the other continetal federation groups. CONMEBOL plays an entire fixture schedule where every national side in South America plays the others in round robin matches over the course of two seasons. Brazil's match up with Peru on September 6 and Ecuador on September 10 are the first of those matches for the 2006 World Cup.

In the Euros, Southgate and England will meet FYR of Macedonia on September 6, and Liechtenshtein on September 10, the same schedule as Boro teammate Stuart Parnaby will be playing with Enbgland's Under-21 squad.

Close and Northern Ireland are playing the Ukraine and Armenia on September 6 and September 10, while Zenden and the Netherlands will meet Austria and the Czech Republic on those respective dates.

There is still time for more call ups before the international play resumes in a week, so other Boro players may soon find themselves on planes to support their homelands on the pitch.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said he once again gave no instructions to his players, merely wishing them "the best of luck."

Wheater Hurts Himself In Training

Under-19 youth defender David Wheater picked up a neck injury in training Saturday. The 15-year-old centreback is expected to miss a week recuperating from the injury.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-07-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #162
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Coach Kieta, would you give us some insight into your youth system. We all know you speak very highly of new Boro winger Morgan, but what other young players playing on the reserves and U-19 squad excite you. Forward Niklas Nordgren has been a consistent threat for the reserves, does he have a future with the first squad?"

I just read everything in the dynasty and it took me like 4 hours(i actually went out and researched all these guys as they popped up in the dynasty). I couldnt be happier to have done it. Great dynasty Chief, once again you have enveloped me into your web of interest!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 03-07-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Blade. Glad you're liking it. Good question, too. I will be glad to toss it into the next press conference (which happens in a couple days by game time).

I may have to do some research. It's been a month (real time) since I did my last coaches' assessment of all my players (including youths).

CR

Old 03-07-2004, 03:37 PM   #164
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, August 31, 2003

FA Barclaycard Action Recap

Birmingham 2, Tottenham 0 It's already apparent Birmingham could be pretty good this season--and that the Cockerels likely won't be. So Saturday was no suprise. The Blues' defense was suffoicating, limiting Tottenham to only two total shots in the match at St. Andrews. Striker Clinton Morrison scored again, getting his fifth goal in four Premiership matches. Defensive midfielder Damien Johnson also scored. Centreback Darren Purse got credit for his excellent play, garnering the Man of the Match award with 12 tackles, 18 headers and nine interceptions.

Charlton 1, Blackburn 1 This match was fairly devoid of offense, putting up only nine shots to produce the two goals. The odd thing was both goals that did go through didn't happen until late. The two sides angeaged in a tough, defesnive battle until the Rovers' striker Andrew Cole scored in thew 81st minute. The fans at The Valley probably thought their Addicks would be done in by that, but three minutes later, the Addicks' own striker Cole, Carlton, scored to tie it up. As is fitting in a defensive match, fullback Luke Young of Charlton got the Man of the Match, with 18 headers, five tackles and two interceptions.

Everton 0, Middlesbrough 0 For all the lack of scoring, this was a great match for shots. The Boro had 10, while the Blues put up nine in a match in which the goalkeepers for both sides played outstanding to preserve the clean sheets. Richard Wright went the whole way in net for Everton, but the Boro had to switch their goalkeepers late when Mark Schwarzer picked up a knock. His replacement, former Manchester City reserve Carlo Nash, held up just fine in his place. The Man of the Match award went to Boro defender Chris Riggott, who was dominating. He won an amazing 35 headers, to go along with five tackles and seven interceptions.

Leeds 4, Portsmouth 1 Welcome to the Premiership, Pompey. Portsmouth had a good run to start its promotion to the top league of England, but the folks at Elland Road reminded them of what kind of talent they might be facing this season. Still, this match might have been different. It was just 1-1 in the 48th minute when Portsmouth midfielder Alexei Smerten would be sent off with his second yellow card. After picking up his first with a first half trip of Leeds midfielder Jody Morris, Smerten likely didn't endear himself to Pompey manager Harry Redknapp when he argued with the ref after wingback Boris Zivkovic was called for a foul on James Milner. The second card to Smerten left the Pompey a man short the rest of the way--and United took immediate advantage. Striker Cyril Chapuis scored the go ahead just two minutes later, his second goal of the game. The Pompey were forced to go at a player in the box in the 56th minute, allowing Gary Kelley to take and make a penalty. And then the event happened that the fans at Elland Road almost tore down the facilities with pure sound for: longtime defender and fan favorite Lucas Radebe--who just announced he would be retiring from football at the end of the season--scored his first ever goal in eleven years of club competition in the 62nd minute. United never looked back on a giddy evening for the home supporters. Fittingly, Radebe received the Man of the Match award, with 16 headers, three tackles, four interceptions and three fouls drawn.

Leicester 2, Wolverhampton 1 The Foxes had a 1-0 lead in the 51st minute of this matchup between recent First dDivision sides, but they had a problem. Wolves winger Nathan Blake had acquired far too much attention from centreback Steve Howie, and the the defender was sent off with his second harsh foul on the Welshman. The Wolves took immediate advantage, with forward Silas tying it up just a minute later. The Foxes showed a lot of moxie, though, to press the issue even a man down. In the 57th minute, it paid off when they got a score by winger Jordan Stewart. It would turn out to be the difference maker, as Leicester held on down the stretch. The Foxes' first goal was netted by striker James Scowcraft. Howie's partner John Curtis got the Man of the Match award, with 26 headers, seven tackles and eight interceptions.

Southampton 2, Aston Villa 0 A week after scoring three goals at home against powerful Arsenal, the Villans could barely amke a squeak against Southampton at St. Mary's Stadium. The visitors had just five shots to the Saints' 15, and only three of Aston Villa's shots were on goal. Southampton got first half scores from striker Kevin Phillips and midfielder Rory Delap to put this one away early, coasting to the easy victory. Fellow striker James Beattie picked up the scoreless Man of the Match, as he put up a hot on goal, an assist, a run, two tackles and 16 headers in the course of the match.

Injuries & Suspensions

Aston Villa goalkeeper Thomas Sorenson strained his calf early in the Southampton match. He stayed in the match, but his injury didn't hurt him much--he had nothing to do with Villa's lackluster offense. After the match, though, it woul dbe announced Sorenson would miss a week of training with the injury.

Portsmouth winger Patrick Berger also strained his calf, such that he had to leave the pitch in the 59th minute of the Pompey's loss to Leeds. He will miss about ten days.

The hands down winner for worst day, though, goes to Berger's teammate Alexeï Smerten. Smerten was sent off with his second yellow card after arguing a call with a referee--the kind of infraction that infuriates managers and supporters alike. His departure was key to the match, as Portsmotuh would soon fall far behind. Then after the match, Smerten discovered that his wrist was sore because he had broken it. He will miss three weeks of action with the injury. Of course, as it turns out, he may not miss any matches he wouldn't have anyway. The red card means he would automatically miss the Pompey's next match, and they don't play again for two weeks, thanks to a break for international play. He might even be back in full health for his next available match.

Leicester centreback Steve Howie likely isn't on Wolves winger Nathan Blake's Christmas list. The defender obstructed Blake early int he match, earning him a yellow, and then he went in too hard on a tackle attempt on Blake in the 51st minute. This got him a second yellow card and an automatic red-card send off.

Today's Matches

Newcastle at Bolton
Manchester City at Fulham
Liverpool at Manchester United

Old 03-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, August 31, 2003

Champions League Groupings, Fixtures Announced

Arsenal, Man U Are Among Clubs Going For Europe's Top Prize

Four Premiership clubs and Two Scottish Premier Division sides have a clearer view at their roads to the Champions League trophy nowq, after the eight four-team groupings were announced Saturday night.

Arsenal and Celtic will get to play each other, as they have both been placed in Group A. Also in the mix there is Serie A superpower Lazio and Greek club Plympiakos, in one of the tougher groupings in this season's Champion's League.

Newcastle might have an easier road, although at this point, there is really no such thing. After winning their qualifying road to get here Wednesday, Neewcastle was lumped into Group B with La Ligue One Monaco, Primera Liga club Real Sociedad and Ukrainian High League squad Shakhtar. Overall, it might be the weakest grouping in the Champions League.

Chelsea, another qualifying round survivor, didn't get any favors from the Champions League. They were placed in Group F, with Serie A superpower Juventus and UEFA trophy and Super Cup champ Porto of the Portuguese Super League. Greek squad AEK Athens round out the group.

Manchester United looks like the premier team in Group G. They are joined by Primera Liga side Celta, Russian Premier Division club Lokomotiv Moscow and the Bundesliga's VfB Stuttgart.

Scotland's Rangers might have gotten the toughest draw of all, in arguably the toughest grouping in the Champions League this season. They will have to go up against 2001-02 Champions League holder and Primera Liga superpower Real Madrid and Dutch superpwer Ajax, in addition to Greek side PAO.

Group C looks to be a solid, all-around grouping. Bundesliga top club FC Bayern headlines this one, but it won't get an easy trip from Dutch power PSV, Portuguese club Benfica or Belgian side Anderlecht.

Group D is the home of current Champions League holder AC Milan of Serie A. Their toughest competition here appears to be Primera Liga squad Deportivo. Norway's Rosenborg and Turkey's Besiktas round out the group.

Bundesliga power Dortmund and Serie A power Inter are the top apparent teams in Group H, a solid all around grouping. La Ligue One side Lyon and Austrian Premier Division squad Austria Vienne are also in the group.

The round robins will begin on September 16-17, and not be completed until early December.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:06 AM   #166
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Ugh. Celtics and Lazio are both dangerous. At least it should be doable.

Chelsea has an ugly, ugly draw.

Rangers-Ajax fight off for the second spot should be interesting.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 AM   #167
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It bugs to see these great transfer deals going around, and I get a shade under £5 M from my owner--and he is considered "Secure" for club finances. I can't imagine what the "Okay" level that some Premiership teams have (Leeds comes to mind) means.
It's weird. In my 01/02 career, my Arsenal team is rated roughly the same as Manchester United for finances and yet I KNOW they have some crazy budgets I'm not even near the neighborhood for (based on some of their yearly spendings and what I'm given to work with). Mind you, I did managed to parlay Kanu and some spare change into Henrik Larsson one year and saved up to get Edgar Davids to partner with Paddy Vieira two years after so I wasn't exactly in the poor house. It was just odd to see both teams have the same ratings and different amount to spend. Seems realistic, though.

Last edited by daedalus : 03-08-2004 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:31 AM   #168
Blade6119
Coordinator

From what i understand, club finances and spending money are quite seperate...spending money comes from a stat all owners have, something like "WEALTH"...that from what i hav read dictates transfer money and wage money, so compare your owner to others and see...thats why everyone used to love Rushden and Diamonds, since they were a conference team rated with a perfect 20 for owner wealth...meaning you could easily outspend anyone your first few seasons in the lower divisions and build up a really solid squad.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:32 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, August 31, 2003

UEFA Announces First Round Pairings

Several United Kingdom Clubs Will Play In First Round

Four Premiership clubs found out who will be their first challenges on the road to Europe's second most prestigious club competition.

The UEFA announced pairings for 96 European clubs Saturday, setting up a 48-pairings two-leg first round that will kick off on September 24.

Liverpool, Manchester City, Southampton and Blackburn were the four teams from the English leagues that made the cut. The Reds, Saints and Rovers were automatic entries into the first round, based on last year's final Premier League table and national cup results, while Manchester City had to win its way into the round via the qualifying round earlier this month.

Liverpool and Blackburn both drew Polish First Division clubs. Liverpool will play Groclin while the Rovers drew GKS Katowice.

Southampton will meet up with Swedish Premier Division club Malmö FF, while Manchester City will play Hapoel Tel Aviv from the Israeli Premier League.

The Scottish Premier League also has two representatives in the competition. Hearts got a particularly tough draw in the Primera Liga's Valencia, while Dundee United will play the Swiss Premier League side Young Boys.

TNS Networks of the Welsh Premier League isn't likely to get much of a break from Bundesliga squad Werder Bremen, while Northern Irish League Premier Division Portadown will meet up with Eridivisie club FC Nordsjælland.

The Irish Premier Division also had two entries in Bohemians and Shelbourne. The Bohemians will play Russian Premier Division squad Torpedo Moscow, while Shelbourne has a matchup with Serie A squad Udinese.

The 96 clubs come from a number of different sources. Sixteen clubs come from the losing end of the third qualifying round of the Champions League. Thirty-six squads were given automatic entries from some of the top leagues in Europe. Three additional squads won the three bids available to the victorious finalists of the Inter-Toto Cup. And the final 41 teams won trhough to the first round from the UEFA qualifying round, completed last week.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:45 AM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, you and Chelsea didn't get easy draws at all. By comparison, I think Man U is practically getting a bye into the single elimination rounds.

That Rangers group is just really tough. I think Ajax-Rangers will be an interesting one to watch, too.

That makes sense about owner wealth and club finances. For instance, I don't think anyone doubts that Man U makes a ton more money than Chelsea every year, thanks to the higher competitions they are generally in and the fact that they are, simply, the richest club in the world (in any sport). But Chelsea has that crazy Russian guy as their owner. He's probably more individually wealthy than anyone connected with manchester Untied, and it's apparent he's willing to spend that money.

That's why the Yankees are so scary. They combine a wealthy owner who doesn't give a crap about how much money he spends with the most lucrative baseball team in the MLB (and, I assume, the baseball world).

Interesting note for anyone who doesn't have the game yet. I have now reached the post-trnasfer window time, and things run significantly faster. This doesn't surprise me much, though, since it makes sense. But I think the game is running at least two times faster now than it did before.

CR

Old 03-08-2004, 03:41 AM   #171
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, September 1, 2003

Bolton 0, Newcastle 0 Bolton continues to pull off improbable success, despite the numbers saying otherwise. Ten days after the Wanderers surprised Chelsea at home, 2-1, they held Newcastle goalless, despite allowing 12 shots, eight on goal. In return, Bolton itself had just six total shots, with only one of them coming anywhere near the Magpies' net. Bolton keeper Jussi Jääskeläinen was unbeatable today, gaining the Man of the Match award for his efforts. By comparison, Magpie goalkeeper Steve Harper was almost bored in earning his clean sheet.

Manchester City 2, Fulham 0 Where's Maik Taylor when you need him? While Taylor is playing well as Birmingham's starter while on loan from Fulham, remaining keeper Edwin van der Sar hasn't played all that well, and he had to leave Sunday's match with City in the 14th minute with a calf strain. Former Middlesbrough keeper Mark Crossley came in cold and gave up the difference-maker just a couple minutes later, to City striker Antoine Sibierski. The visitors didn't score again until forward Jon Macken put one in in the 87th minute, but the Cottagers never seemed to be in this one. Man City outshot Fulham 16-8, and only one Cottager shot even came on goal. Centreback David Sommeill played a big role in Manchester City's tough defense, netting the Man of the Match award with seven tackles, 10 headers and 14 interceptions.

Manchester United 2, Liverpool 0 Forward Paul Scholes couldn't beat Jerzy Dudek one on one, so he decided to beat him when everyone had a shot at the ball. Scholes took a penalty kick in the 37th minute that the Reds' Dudek sent back out into the box. The golkeeper then sent back Scholes' next shot. But third time was the charm, as Scholes bounced on his second straight rebound and finally put in the score. It turned out to be the game-winner in a tight defensive match between two of the top powers in the world. For all their talent, the Reds couldn't get anything going against the Red Devils' defense in front of a hostile crowd at Old Trafford. They managed just four shots, with only one coming near Man U keeper Tim Howard. The home squad, though, took 12 shots, nine on goal. Winger Ryan Giggs put it away with his goal in the 66th minute. Giggs' goal and the five runs he went on to key the offense earned him the Man of the Match award.

Injuries & Suspensions

Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar suffered a calf sprain, and will be out for a week.

In the same match, Manchester City striker Antoine Sibierski broke his wrist, and will miss ten days.

In Bolton, Newcastle lost midfielder Jermaine Jenas to a sprained ankle. He is expected to be off from training for ten days.

No one was sent off Sunday.

Tonight's Match

Chelsea at Arsenal

Transfer Deadline Passes

The first UEFA transfer window of the season passed Sunday night with no action from English Premier Division squads.

The next window opens on January 1, 2004.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-08-2004 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:47 AM   #172
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, September 2, 2003

Arsenal 2, Chelsea 0 The Gunners remain the only unbeaten, undrawn club in the Premiership after defeating Chelsea at Anfield Monday evening. In fact, only one other side, Newcastle, has yet to lose after four matches, and they have been drawn twice. Arsenal outplayed the Blues to the tune of a 12 to five shots advantage, but it didn't turn out to be an easy one. The score remained knotted up at zero until the last ten minutes of the match. Winger Mikel Arteta finally solved Chelsea keeper Carlo Cudicini in the 80th minute. Striker Jérémie Aliadière put it away eight minutes later with his first score of the season, and his first appearance since he was linked to a possible transfer to Middlesbrough. Cudicini got the Man of the Match award for his stalwart work in front of the net.

FA Barclaycard Premiership Table

Code:
(as of September 2, 2003) Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts 1st Arsenal 4 4 0 0 12 4 +8 12 2nd Birmingham 4 3 0 1 8 4 +4 9 3rd Man Utd 4 3 0 1 7 3 +4 9 4th Newcastle 4 2 2 0 7 4 +3 8 5th Blackburn 4 2 1 1 9 5 +4 7 6th Middlesbrough 4 2 1 1 7 4 +3 7 7th Leeds 4 2 1 1 6 4 +2 7 8th Man City 4 2 1 1 5 3 +2 7 9th Liverpool 4 2 0 2 6 5 +1 6 10th Portsmouth 4 2 0 2 6 7 -1 6 11th Southampton 4 2 0 2 5 6 -1 6 12th Everton 4 1 2 1 3 4 -1 5 13th Charlton 4 1 1 2 7 8 -1 4 14th Leicester 4 1 1 2 5 8 -3 4 15th Bolton 4 1 1 2 4 7 -3 4 16th Tottenham 4 1 1 2 3 6 -3 4 17th Chelsea 4 1 0 3 5 7 -2 3 18th Aston Villa 4 1 0 3 6 11 -5 3 19th Wolves 4 0 2 2 3 6 -3 2 20th Fulham 4 0 0 4 2 10 -8 0

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-08-2004 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:28 AM   #173
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, September 2, 2003

Poyet Announces Retirement

The Tottenham Forward Will Hang Them Up At The End Of The Season

LONDON-- Tottenham Hotspur forward Gustavo Poyet announced Monday that this would be his last season in football.

"It's time to move on and begin the rest of my life," the 35-year-old Uruguayan attacking midfielder said. "I have had a good run, but it's clear I have reache dthe end of the line."

Poyet wouldn't confirm it, but it is believed by many observers that his relegation to Tottenham's reserve squad has dispirited Poyet's desire to continue.

Poyet scored five goals in 28 matches with the Cockerels last season, breaking a four-season streak of double-digit goal seasons. The veteran earned a reputation for toughness and savvy in six seasons in the Premiership.

Poyet has appeared in two matches for the Cockerel reserves so far this season.

The forward has been with Tottenham for two seasons, following four seasons with Chelsea. He came to Stamford Bridge from Zaragoza in the Primera Liga, where he played for seven seasons.

Poyet has scored 114 goals in 406 career appearances. He has also appeared in 35 matches for his native Uruguay, scoring three goals.

"He's doing what he thinks needs to be done," Tottenham manager David Pleat said. "He's been in this league for a while, and has been a fine player for the Cockerels."

Pleat said he couldn't guarantee that Poyet would see first team action, but he would consider it should the opportunity arise.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:01 AM   #174
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, September 3, 2003

Quashie Wants First Team Football

PORTSMOUTH-- A year ago, Nigel Quashie was an important part of a Portsmouth squad on its way to First Division success and promotion to the Premiership.

Now he feels the cluib owes him a first team spot.

"I bled with these guys," Quashie said Tuesday. "All I want is to get on the pitch and show what I can do. Playing at this level is a dream of mine."

Quashie said he doesn't expect to be on the pitch for every match, but he is concerned that he isn't even made a single appearance yet for the squad in four matches so far.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp said he wasn't about to change the first eleven composition at Quashie's request.

"I understand Nigel's frustration," the manager said. "But there are better ways to go about this. Talking to you guys was the last thing he should have done."

Redknapp said the timing of Quashie's statement is odd given that fellow midfielder Alexeï Smerten will have to miss the Pompey's next match after being thrown out out of the squad's match with Leeds Saturday. The absence of Smerten will likely mean Quashie will see the pitch against Leicester on September 13.

Quashie said he wanted to stay with the club, and that he just wanted to get a chance to play with the first team.

The midfielder appeared in 42 matches with Portsmouth last season, scoring five goals. The 25-year-old has started for the Pompey for three seasons prior to this year, scoring 12 goals in 108 appearances.

Morgan and Downing Return To Practice

Boro wingers Lionel Morgan and Stuart Downing returned to practice Wednesday from injury.

Morgan's arrival in training will be his first such appearance since he was transferred in from First Division side Wimbledon early last month. Morgan has been sidelined for two months with a knee injury.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said last week that while Morgan would eventually see time with the first team, he would start with the reserves to get into form and receive some match experience.

Downing also returned Tuesday from a foot injury that shelved him for two weeks. He suffered the injury in Middlesbrough's season opening 3-1 victory over Tottenham.

Downing's injury was a blow to the 19-year-old winger, who had won at least part time first eleven duty ont he wing after a strong preseason. Kieta said Downing would practice with the first team and that he expected him to be available for the Boro's next match, against Charlton on September 13.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #175
Calis
College Starter

Glad to see The Huns get put in the toughest group. I will enjoy watching them get pummeled.

Little worried that Celtic has to fight off Arsenal and Lazio. That won't be an easy grouping at all.

Great start to the season though! Boro looking like they could do some damage this year.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:17 AM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, September 3, 2003

Kieta: Scoring Strikers Will Play

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Frustrated at continuing inconsistent play up front and his failure to bring in a top line striker for the squad, interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said the guys who play the best and score will be on the pitch the most.

"Potential isn't worth much if you don't turn it into something tangible with hard work and experience," Kieta said at his weekly press conference Tuesday.

In an apparent effort to lessen the impact, Kieta refused to use names, but it seems clear he was referring to the iffy contributions of younger strikers like Massimo Maccarone and Michael Ricketts against a more savvy veteran like Jospeh-Désiré Job.

Maccarone has been rated a 5 or lower by ratings experts twice in the Boro's first two matches, and Ricketts was equally bad Saturday in Everton, a match in which the Boro failed to score a goal in a 0-0 draw.

In a match against Fulham last week, Job and attacking midfielder Juninho started up front and produced three goals between them.

"At some point, I have to stop waiting for the talent to surface and start playing the guys who can get it done now," Kieta said.

Despite that, the manager said all of the strikers on the squad would continue to see major playing time.

The manager said he was "very frustrated" he couldn't bring in another scorer to help out.

"I really thought we had [Jimmy Floyd] Hasselbaink wrapped up," Kieta said, referring to a failed attempt to bring the Dutch striker over from Chelsea last week. Hasselbaink ended up moving to Dutch power Ajax.

Kieta also made runs at Colombian striker Jauro Fernando Castillo and Arsenal's Jérémie Aliadière, but wasn't successful. The first transfer window officially passed Sunday evening.

"We have the players here," Kieta said. "I'm sure we'll be fine scoring goals once we settle on a definite first-eleven."

Kieta also addressed the youth areas of the club Tuesday, an area he has been reticent to speak about at past press conferences.

"I think we have a handful of good players on the way up," Kieta said. "But I don't feel we had an especially strong reserve squad or youth program, at least in ure youthful talent. It's an area that needed and still needs to be upgraded.

The manager said the purchases of young Wimbledon players winger Lionel Morgan, defender Mikele Leigertwood, and defensive midfielder Dean Lewington were a big step in the right direction. He also said that a number of key young players, such as centreback Chris Riggott and winger Stuart Downing, are already making big contributions with the first team.

"These are the kinds of players this club could be built on in the future," Kieta said. "But we need to bring in more help."

Among key reserves, Kieta also noted that defensive midfielder Stuart Parnaby and centreback Andrew Davies both looked like they had brigh futures witht he club.

Among the Under-19s, the manager said he was "excited by the abilities" of young strikers Niklas Nordgren and Danny Graham.

"Nordgren is already showing he is far advanced from other kids his age," Kieta said.

He also said the coaching staff has been thinking of moving Nordgren up to the reserve squad.

"Graham isn't at Nordgren's level, technically," Kieta said of the younger striker. "But he has great physical skills and some other abilities that you don't see in strikers too often. In fact, we might switch him to winger at some point in the future. He might have much more upside there."

Kieta refused to single out any of the other youth players, saying he was still himself learning what kind of abilities they have. None of the Under-19s and very few of the reserves saw first team action in the preseason, and the two reserve clubs have yet to play more than a small handful of matches.

The manager said he wasn't going to relax the gas pedal on team training just because several team members will be away at international matches this weekend and next week.

"This is a great time to reform the squad and get some good, hard training in," Kieta said. "With some of our top players gone, it's also an opportunity for some of the reserves and backups to make more noise about seeing time ont he pitch."

Boro regulars Juninho, centreback Gareth Southgate, and winger Boudewijn Zenden are all with their national teams, as are backups defender Brian Close and Parnaby.

The Boro are off until September 13, when they meet Charlton at Riverside Stadium.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Glad to see The Huns get put in the toughest group. I will enjoy watching them get pummeled.

Little worried that Celtic has to fight off Arsenal and Lazio. That won't be an easy grouping at all.

Great start to the season though! Boro looking like they could do some damage this year.

I'm still learning club names. Which one is the Huns? Bayern? Dortmund? The only thing I really know about the Bundesliga is I like the league name (it sounds cool).

It should be fun seeing you and daedalus muck it up here when those two sides (Arsenal and Celtic, that is) are scheduled to meet up. I'll be sure to let you guys know.

I certainly hope you're right about the outlook for the Boro. Really, we haven't played anyone very strong. The best was Birmingham, and what do you know, they beat us. I'm not one of the ones who thinks Everton is going to be anything (at least not in-game).

What's really funny is I don't think Charlton is very strong either, and they are our next opponent. It's like someone is loading our early schedule. Kinda makes me worried what will follow it. I can see it now (no, I haven't looked): @Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, @Newcastle, Arsenal, @Liverpool, Blackburn, @Man U, etc.

CR

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:32 AM   #178
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, September 4, 2003

Downing Is Target Of Lower Leagues

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Reports are surfacing that as many as four clubs have made loan offers for young left winger Stewart Downing, who recently returned from injury.

"Downing is not available," interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said Wednesday. "I don't know why anyone even thinks he is."

Kieta said he turned down loan offers from First Division Reading and Second Division Bournemouth Wednesday, and that he thought he might see more offers.

"Stewart has earned a role with our first team here," Kieta said. "I have no desire to move a key part of our first eleven."

With Boudewijn Zenden on loan from Chelsea, and other options at left wing, like Wimbledon transfer Lionel Morgan and wingback Franck Queudreu, it might have been thought by some clubs that the talented 19-year-old Downing could be had, at least on loan.

Kieta said he remains open to all offers for players at Middlesbrough.

"I don't want to shut anything out, because you never know when something is going to come along that just can't be turned down," Kieta said. "But if I am not actively looking to move a guy, I probably won't be interested."

Mendieta, Németh Called Up To National Teams

Two more Boro players were called up to their national teams Wednesday.

Midfielder Gaizka Mendieta will play with Spain, while Szilard Németh was placed on Slovakia's national roster.

Both national teams will be playing in European Championships Qualifying Round matches over the next week. Spain will meet the Ukraine on September 10, while Slovakia will play FYR of Macedonia.

The two players join previous Boro call-ups defender Gareth Southgate (England), Zenden (Netherlands), centreback Brian Close (Northern Ireland), midfielder Juninho (Brazil), and defensive midfielder Stuart Parnaby (England Under-21s).

All but Juninho will be playing in the Euros Qualifying. The midfielder will instead be playing in the opening matches of the CONMEBOL's qualifying fixture for the 2006 World Cup. The South American national federation holds a two-year-plus fixture schedule where all national sides will play each other home-and-home to determine its entrants to the World Cup.

All are expected to be back with Middlesbrough when the club resumes Premiership action, against Charlton on September 13.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 AM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, September 4, 2003

Bolton's Johnson Wants First Team Action

BOLTON-- Bolton winger Jermaine Johnson told the Guardian Wednesday that he feels he should be playing witht he first team.

"I think it's time to see what I can do," Johnson was reported to have told the paper.

Johnson has yet to see regular time with the Wanderers, but is considered a bright talent for the future. The 23-year-old pacey Jamaican appeared in two matches with Bolton last season, and 10 in 2001-02, going scoreless.

Most of Johnson's playing time the past two seasons has come on the Wanderers' reserve squad.

Johnson's public bid for first team time comes just two days after Portsmouth midfielder Nigel Quashie made a similar request. Unlike Johnson, Quashie is an established former starter of the Pompey.

In Bolton, Johnson appears to be stuck behind the club's big wing acquisition in talented Greek midfielder Stelios Giannakopoulos. the 29-year-old capped veteran has started at right wing for the Wanderers in all four of their matches so far, with no goals.

Manager Sam aAllardyce said he has placed Johnson on loan availability to get the young player some first team time elsewhere.

"The squad is better with Stelios right now," Allardyce said. "Jermaine is the future, but we're going a different direction this season. We need him to go somewhere where he can get some experience, and then come back to us ready to contribute next year."

Johnson has appeared in six matches with Jamaica, and is with the reserves in Bolton again this season.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:01 AM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, September 5, 2003

Boro Sign Murphy To Extension

WATFORD-- Defensive midfield prospect David Murphy, currently on loan with First Division Watford, agreed to a contract extension Thursday to stay with Middlesbrough through 2006.

The 19-year-old will be paid £110,000 this season, with 10% annual increases to 2006.

Murphy is considered a future fullback for the Boro, but is "still at least a year or two away", interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said Thursday.

Murphy's original contract was set to expire six months from Monday earlier this week, which made Murphy available via Bosman transfer. Middlesbrough wrapped the prospect up, though, before any other clubs had approached him.

Murphy has been playing both midfielder and wingback with Watford so far this season. He is scoreless in five league match appearances, but has a solid 6.80 rating and has drawn five fouls.

Murphy is serving out a three-month loan with Watford which ends on October 10.

Kieta said Murphy will liekly not be the only Boro inked to extensions in the next couple months.

Reserve striker Chris Garbutt and midfielder Gary Smith are both currently within six monthds of their contract release point, but have yet to be approached for transfer, and are not expected to receive extension offers from Middlesbrough either.

Several key first teamers, though, including versatile forward Joseph-DésiréJob and injured centreback Ugo Ehiogu are up for contract renewals at the end of the season.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 AM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, September 6, 2003

Euro Champ Quals Begin Anew Today

England Will Meet FYR of Macedonia In Skopje

SKOPJE, Macedonia-- The European Championships Qualifying Ruund will take the first of a critical two steps today when national teams from all around Europe meet again to continue their quests to Europe's top international prize.

England will play FYR of Macedonia in Skopje today, in its fifth match of its Group Seven fixture. England can clinch at least a spot in the playoff in November if it beats Macedonia today.

England is currently second in the group with 13 points. Group leader Turkey sits at 15 points, but have played one more match than England. Slovakia has six points in six matches. Macedonia has five points in six matches. Leichtein stein, England's opponent on Wednesday, is dead last with just one point in five matches.

The top club in each group will receive an automatic bid to the European Championships next season, being held in Portugal. The second place club in each of the ten groups will compete ina playoff in November for the few remaining spots in the tourney.

The European Championship is played every four years, two years opposite of the World Cup.

In Group Five, Scotland is in the fight of its life. Powerful Germany leads the wayy--just varely--at 11 points. Surprising Iceland sits at 10 points and inm second place, with Scotland third at eight points. Scotland can't easily look back easily either, since Lithuania is sitting at seven points. The Faroe Islands are the dog of the group, at two points.

Scotland could get a boost today from playing the Faroe Islands in Glasgow, while Iceland hosts Germany. It doesn't get easier for the Scots, though--they meet Germany on Wednesday.

Wales is tied with Italy atop Group Nine with 10 points, but they are far from out of the woods. Surprising Serbia & Montengro sits in third with eight points, while Finland lurks in fourth with six points. Even Azerbaijan isn't out of it, at four points. Wales has the unenviable task of meeting up with Italy in Rende.

One United Kingdom nation that does certainly seem out of it is Northern Ireland. They had the poor luck of ending up in Group Six with Greece and Spain, and have just two points. They are even behind Armenia, with four points. Greece leads the group with 12 points, while Spain is just behind them with 11. The Ukraine is putting up a good show with nine points. Northern Ireland is in Kiev today to play Ukraine.

Ireland is currently in second place in Group Ten with 10 points. They are behind the Swiss, with 12 points. Russia has seven points, with Albania at five and Georgia at four following up the rear. The Irish host the Russians in Dublin today, in a key match between the second and third place sides in the group.

The other groups are all in various stages of completion as well.

In Group One, European Championship holders and FIFA's top-ranked European squad France is dominating, with five wins in five matches. They easily lead the group with 15 points. Slovenia is a surprising second at 10 points, with Israel at eight and Cyprus at seven hot on their tail. Malta remains pointless at the bottom.

In Group Two, there is shaping up to be an intriguing three-team battle. Denmark leads with 13 points, but they are just ahead of Norway with 11 and Romania with 10. Even Bosnia isn't out of it with six points. Little Luxembourg has no points yet in this group.

Group Three looked like it would be a run away for Holland, but the Dutch are getting a big fight from the Czech Republic. Both teams have 13 points. Austria isn't far behind, at nine points. Moldova and Belarus are fighting for last place with three points apiece.

Group Four is completely up in the air. Sweden and Hungary are tied on top with 11 points, but surprising Latvia is right behind them with 10 points. Disappointing Poland is also still very much in it with seven points. Last place San Marino just wants to score a goal, any goal.

Bulgaria leads Group Eight with 11 points. They are just ahead of Belgium and Croatia with 10 points. The Belgians have not played well in a group in which they were favorites. Estonia is also still looking very solid with eight points, while Andorra is the sacrificial lamb, with zero points.

All ten groups have fixtures today and Wednesday. The group fixtures wrap up in October.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2004 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #182
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
I'm still learning club names. Which one is the Huns? Bayern? Dortmund? The only thing I really know about the Bundesliga is I like the league name (it sounds cool).

It should be fun seeing you and daedalus muck it up here when those two sides (Arsenal and Celtic, that is) are scheduled to meet up. I'll be sure to let you guys know.

I certainly hope you're right about the outlook for the Boro. Really, we haven't played anyone very strong. The best was Birmingham, and what do you know, they beat us. I'm not one of the ones who thinks Everton is going to be anything (at least not in-game).

What's really funny is I don't think Charlton is very strong either, and they are our next opponent. It's like someone is loading our early schedule. Kinda makes me worried what will follow it. I can see it now (no, I haven't looked): @Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, @Newcastle, Arsenal, @Liverpool, Blackburn, @Man U, etc.

CR

The Huns is a term of endearment for Rangers and their supporters. The only thing that rivals seeing Celtic win is seeing Rangers lose.

I'm going to have a hard time talking much smack to daedalus about our teams playing, because I can't imagine Celtic giving Arsenal a game. They're just way out of our league. I'm putting my hopes on us beating Lazio and getting that 2nd spot.

I ran into the same thing with my Wolves career I'm running. I got frontloaded with easy games so I had abnormally high expectations, and they came crashing down very quickly.

I recently got addicted to watching the whole game play out in 2D. Adds a whole new level to the game. Slows things up just a tiny bit though.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Huns is a term of endearment for Rangers and their supporters. The only thing that rivals seeing Celtic win is seeing Rangers lose.

I'm going to have a hard time talking much smack to daedalus about our teams playing, because I can't imagine Celtic giving Arsenal a game. They're just way out of our league. I'm putting my hopes on us beating Lazio and getting that 2nd spot.

I ran into the same thing with my Wolves career I'm running. I got frontloaded with easy games so I had abnormally high expectations, and they came crashing down very quickly.

I recently got addicted to watching the whole game play out in 2D. Adds a whole new level to the game. Slows things up just a tiny bit though.

I should have guessed it would be the Rangers. I knew you guys were rivals, of course, but I was thrown by the Germanic reference of the name you call 'em.

You're probably right about Arsenal. They just seem to be incredible so far this season. Pinning your hopes on Lazio, though, ouch. That's not easy either. I mean, I have Mendieta on loan from Lazio because they don't need him anymore! Sure, they ain't Milan or Juventus, but that's a tough cookie to crack there. I'm rooting for all British Isles teams, though, so I will be rooting for you.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low key. At least with Wolves, you are just recently promoted. The Boro are actually expected to be halfway decent. I have a reasonable expectation that if I keep morale high and the right players in the mix, I can stay in the top ten. Still, it's not going to be as easy as this early fixture would like to make me think.

I have watched some key matches in the past all the way through, but none yet in this dynasty. In fact, I think the times I have done it were in my other Boro dynasty (the one that didn't get written about, using CM4). It was a very informative and fun experience, but, yeah, time constraints mean I can't (or shouldn't) do it so often.

CR

Old 03-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #184
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, September 7, 2003

England Drawn By Macedonia

Frustration Sets In For National Squad As Qualifier Hopes Dim

SKOPJE, Macedonia-- England didn't lose, but it might as well have.

Saturday's 0-0 draw with the surprising FYR of Macedonia has put England a difficult four points behind group leader Turkey in the European Championships Qualifying Group Seven table with two matches to go.

The Brits did everything they could do against Macedonia except score on Saturday. They outshot and generally dominated the Macedonians 12-2, and allowed just one shot on goal in front of 24,622 at Gradski Stadion.

The road team didn't really get rolling until the second half, but by then, Macedonia keeper Oka Nikolov, who plays with Frankfurt of the Bundesliga, had already ensconched himself in front of a tough defense led by centreback Igor Mitreski of the Primera Liga's Osasuna.

In the 50th minute, English winger Owen Hargreaves of Valencia sent a high crossing pass into the penalty area from the right corner. Liverpool star Michael Owen ended up with the ball just a mere couple yards from the goal, but his shot bounced right off of Nikolov and away from the goal, where it was promptly cleared.

In the 75th minute, Newcastle winger Kieran Dyer took a pass from fullback Gary Neville of Manchester United and charged toward the right end of the penalty area. Having put some space between himself and the Macedonian defenders, Dyer unleashed a harsh in-swerving strike at the near post. Nikolov was well-placed, though, reaching up and batting the shot away to the left with his fingertips. Neville came hard up on the rebound, but his shot went right at Nikolov, who was closing the space between them. The Frankfurt goalkeeper clutched the shot to end the scoring chance.

Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell had a terrific chance in the 89th minute. Midfielder Paul Scholes of Manchester United sent a high pass into an area in front of the right end of the penalty area. Vassell got above fullback Robert Popov, from Bulgarian side Litex, and headed the ball forward toward the outer penalty line. Vassell displayed his amazing physical ability by then beating a crowding group of Macedonia defenders to the ball and sent a high, unobstructed shot at the net. Unfortunately for Vassell, he put it too high, and the ball went sailing over the crossbar.

"It was just a very frustrating match," Owen said after the match. "I didn't play well at all. How could I miss that one early in the second half?"

England's manager Sven-Göran Eriksson wasn't as harsh on the striker as Owen himself was, even though football raters put his performance at a 4 for the match.

"It was a tough, physical match, and the Macedonians came to play," Eriksson said. "We all have bad matches. Owen's was today. With a match in hand and a match against the Turks, we are still in prime position to catch them. The qualifier is still ours for the taking."

To do so, though, England will have to put up a better effort against Leichtenstein on Wednesday. While no one thinks the little country can compete with England, FIFA's seventh-ranked national team in the world, no one thought Macedonia could either.

If England defeats Leichtenstein on Wednesday, that would set up a winner-take-all between England and Turkey in Istanbul in October. Turkey, which edged out Liechtenstein 1-0 on the road Saturday, has 18 points with only the England match left to play.

England, at 14 points, can move to 17 points with a win over Liechtenstein Wednesday.

The true importance of the Macedonia draw might be in England's room for error, which shrunk significantly Saturday. Had the Brits won, and then defeated Liechtenstein, they would be a point up on Turkey going into the final match, allowing a draw to give them the qualifier spot. Now that draw goes to Turkey, meaning that England will be required to defeat Turkey in Istanbul to get the automatic spot to next season's European Championships.

Both Turkey and England had already at least clinched spots in the playoff for the remaining bids to the tourney in November, as the top two sides in the group.

With the draw, Macedonia moves up to six points and a tie with idle Slovakia. Liechtenstein has one point.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

British Isles Disappoints At Euro Quals

Only The Scots Could Be Said To have Had A Good Day

On a day when the English got a draw with Macedonia, and the Irish stumbled by drawing at home with Russia, Scotland was the only bright side in the British Isles after another round of action in the European Championship Qualifying on Saturday.

Scotland defeated the Faroe Islands handily, 4-0, in Glasgow, which isn't a surprise. What will have the Scots smiling today, though, was Germany's road win over Iceland, allowing Scotland to climb over the surprising island nation for second place in Group Five.

Scotland entered the day at eight points, two back of Iceland for that critical second place spot. Powerful Germany led the group with 11 points.

By winning, Scotland moves up to 11 points, one ahead of Iceland, and into second place, and they can still catch Germany when the two sides meet in Berlin on Wednesday.

Idle Lithuania has seven points and the Faroe Islands just two after Saturday's action.

As expected, Wales had a tough match to play against host Italy, and they did fall, 2-1, in Group Nine action. Wales came into the day leading the group with 12 points, but Italy's win vaults them over the Welsh and into first place with 13 points. Italy came into group play as the heavy favorite.

Finland beat Azerbaijan, 5-0, to move up to nine points and within a win's range of Wales for the key second place spot. Wales will host Finland in Cardiff on Wednesday, in what could be the key match of the group for both sides.

Serbia & Montengro was idle, but remains in it as well, with eight points. Azerbaijan has four points.

The Northern Irish continued to play a patsy in Group Six. They remained in last place when the Ukraine beat them, 3-0, in Kiev Saturday. They have just two points.

The Ukraine's win sets up an interesting match on Wednesday with Spain. Idle Spain fell to third place with 11 points, as the Ukrainians used the win over Northern Ireland to move into second place with 12 points. The two teams play each other in Spain on Wednesday. Group leader Greece defeated Armenia, 3-2, to move up to 15 points, but they haven't clinched a spot yet.

Armenia joins Northern Ireland in the Group Six doldrums with four points.

The Irish missed a terrific opportunity to jump into first place in Group Ten when they allowed themselves to be drawn, 1-1, at home by Russia. Ireland entered the day at 10 points, two behind group leader Switzerland, which was idle. A win would have moved Ireland past the Swiss.

Instead, the draw merely moves the Irish one point closer to Switzerland, and gives the Swiss a match in hand, as Ireland will be idle on Wednesday while the rest of the group plays.

The draw also gives an opportunity to Russia, which remained three points back of Ireland after Saturday's action. Should the Russians defeat Switzerland at home Wednesday, they would place themselves in prime position to steal a playoff spot from either of the two others, who are scheduled to meet in the final fixture round in October. Georgia could also still play its way into things, after beating Albania 1-0 to move up to seven points. Albania has five points.

Other Group Results

France's easy 5-0 defeat of Cyprus, coupled with Slovenia's 3-1 home loss to Israel has clinched Group One's automatic qualifier for the defending European Champion.

The dominating squad, which has yet to lose a match in group action, has 18 points. Israel's win moves them into the key second place spot with 11 points, one ahead of Slovenia, which put its own hopes at grave risk by losing at home to the Israelis. The Cypriots' loss essentially puts them out of the running, while idle Malta did about as good Saturday as it could have done by simply not losing--they have zero points.

Norway's 3-1 win over Bosnia moved them up to first in Group Two with 14 points, while Romania's 4-0 shutout of Luxembourg placed them in a tie with idle former group leader Denmark at 13 points. The two sides will meet in a critical tête-à-tête on Wednesday, while Norway will be idle. Bosnia has six points and Luxembourg no points at all.

Holland got the advantage in the upcoming key matchup with the Czech Republic Wednesday when the Dutch defeated Austria 3-0 in Saturday's action, while the fellow Group Three leader Czechs were drawn by Belarus, 2-2. The win moves Holland into first place with 16 points, while the Czechs drop to second with 14. The only spot left up for grabs, though, is the automatic qualifier to the first place side; Austria's loss clinched playoff spots for both Holland and the Czech Republic. Belarus has four points, while Moldava brings up the rear with three.

Saturday's action did little clear up the glut in Group Four, where four teams still look quite capable of ending up with a berth in the Euros. Sweden took a big step in beating San Marino, 5-0, and moving into a three-point lead for first place over idle Hungary. Latvia missed a chance to stick itself right in the midst of things by falling at home to Poland, 3-1. Not only did the loss keep Latvia in third behind Sweden, it allowed the Poles to move into a tie with it. Four teams are within four points of each other, with two more rounds to go.

Former Group Eight favorite Belgium didn't play Saturday, as they were idle. But the day couldn't have gone much worse for them. Group leader Bulgaria beat Estonia, 4-1, to move up to 14 points, a four-point lead over the Belgians. And Croatia handily defeated Andorra, 4-0, moving them out of a tie with Belgium and into sole possession of second place with 13 points. Estonia's loss puts them out of the running with eight points, while Andorra has no points.

France is the only country to have locked up an automatic berth, besides 2004 European Championships host Portugal, which receives an automatic bid into the tourney.

Holland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Turkey, England and Bulgaria have all locked up playoff berths.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #186
Calis
College Starter

Ohh, Sven could be getting himself into trouble here! Macedonia?

Ireland let me down also, but that's become pretty common.

Dang it Chief, you're going to make me start up a CM Dynasty of my own soon. Got all these ideas floating through my head now, great stuff. I really like the style. I can do my daily checks of Soccer365.com, SkySports, and Chief's dynasty. Can't beat that.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #187
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ohh, Sven could be getting himself into trouble here! Macedonia?

Ireland let me down also, but that's become pretty common.

Dang it Chief, you're going to make me start up a CM Dynasty of my own soon. Got all these ideas floating through my head now, great stuff. I really like the style. I can do my daily checks of Soccer365.com, SkySports, and Chief's dynasty. Can't beat that.
Chief's dynasty has me feeling lonely in my thread. I am jealous of him running all of the leagues. I am considering restarting my dynasty to rull all the different leagues, just because of CR

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 03-09-2004 at 05:05 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #188
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Orchard Nabs A Hat For Under-19s

The Young Boro Forward Helps Youths Dominate Macclesfield, 4-0

BILLINGHAM-- With the first team on something of a two-week break for international play, and seemingly half the side either deep in training or playing for their national teams, there was little action going on a soggy Saturday in Boro-land.

But don't tell that to forward Tom Orchard.

The 17-year-old prospect lit up Third Division Macclesfield's Under-19s at The Stadium in Billngham on Satiurday, scoring three straight first half goals for the natural hat trick.

Orchard scored in the eighth, 21st and 29th minutes, getting a few hats tossed out at him from the small crowd of 675 that came to watch.

Fellow forward Jason Kennedy moved the score up to its final tally with a goal in the 41st minute.

Orchard's heroics masked an exquisite defensive performance by the Boro, which did not allow a single shot, on goal or otherwise, to Macclesfield.

Orchard said it was a happy day for him and for the Under-19s.

"I just hope we showed Mister [Matthew] Kieta that there's more talent here than he thinks," Orchard said, in a barb at the Boro manager's reference to the club's youth system as being weak on talent last week.

The Boro Under-19s have won two straight after opening their fixture with a 3-1 loss to Morecambe.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #189
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Chief's dynasty has me feeling lonely in my thread. I am jealous of him running all of the leagues. I am considering restarting my dynasty to rull all the different leagues, just because of CR

I'm way too impatient for that. I think I might try out a few leagues and tossing in some ddt files though.

Either way, Chief is an evil, evil man.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #190
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

ddt files?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:37 PM   #191
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I AM THE DEVIL!

Glad you guys can be so tempted.

Seriously, though, thanks for the compliments. GE, I can't tell ya how to run your dynasty, but I must admit having all the leagues running is a lot of fun. The only thing I am complaining about with my set up right now is that maybe I should have put a few more leagues on full detail, so I could click on some key matchups in the Champions League and in the national matches.

And, of course, I don't like having half-ass MLS rosters and no Adu. But I digress...

Dundee is still looking good. It's interesting to follow your dynasty in light of the comments being made about finances in football in the UK in the GD forum. Plus, imitation is the highest form of flattery, is it not?

Speaking of which, I believe Kilmarnock is leading the Scottish Premier League currently in my dynasty, five matches in. Go figure. In case you guys are wondering, I will be giving updates on how things are going in other major European leagues, all of the top British Isle leagues, and all of England's leagues down to the Nationwide Conference. My plan is to do this at the end of each month (I'll find a newspaper "excuse" to do it ), witht he first round of it coming at the end of September.

Calis, that was a stunning draw to Macedonia. I agree with owen--no way he should have missed that shot. In real life, everyone but Reds fans would be on his case right now (and the game did say the English fans weren't happy). But I am guessing if England beats Turkey, or even if they lose but get in via the playoff, everyone will be fine.

Now, if the Brits miss out on the Euros...ouch...

CR

Old 03-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll let Calis explain ddt files. Since I went with all the leagues running on large database, I didn't have to worry about that, but it's basically a work around for using smaller databases, but having a lot of players available.

That would allow you to run more leagues, I am guessing, IIRC. I just remember being confused by how to do it. It involves the ARSE file, I believe.

CR

Old 03-09-2004, 05:44 PM   #193
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I just started a game with all the leagues running. We will see how that goes....
Old 03-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #194
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good luck!

CR

Old 03-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #195
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Good luck!

CR

I'm getting ready to start up my dynasty as well. I just don't think I have the guts for running all of them on my PC. I'll run more than usual though me thinks.

Going to try switching up things a little and mess with some .edt files. Time to make my wish come true.

As for Owen screwing up the game, that's pretty much on par with how he's been performing irl. Guy appears to have just lost it. I've watched him play a couple times the last few weeks and he looks like he doesn't want to be there. Playing very poorly.

Chief pretty much explained DDT files as far as I get them. It just adds all the players of a country without running the league. It's actually real easy to do, as I just dl'ed a zip with each country's .ddt in there, so I just unzip them and from the Game Preferences screen I check which ones I want to use. It doesn't appear you need that now though.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:55 PM   #196
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I see now what you mean by having your wish come true. Good louck with the dynasty. To you, too, GE. Meanwhile, I am moving on here...

CR

Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 AM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifying Opens

Ten South American nations began the world's longest run to football's premier national prize, the 2006 World Cup, on Saturday.

CONMEBOL, which governs South American football, hosts a round robin fixture across two years to determine what teams get the continent's automatic bids.

FIFA's top-ranked Brazil looked like it was headed for a surprising opening draw with Peru, the 67th-ranked team, when young star winger Alex scored on a penalty in the 89th minute. He added to that just a minute later, and Brazil escaped with a key 2-0 win.

Argentina wasn't so lucky. The 4th-ranked team in the world went to 21st-ranked Paraguay, where the two sides ended up drawing 1-1.

In other matches, 71st-ranked Chile upset 38th-ranked Ecuador 3-2; 24th-ranked Colombia opened its fixture with a disappointing 1-1 home draw of 57th-ranked Venzuela; and 27th-ranked Uruguay crushed 109th-ranked Bolivia 4-0.

Another round of matches will be played on Wednesday before the competition takes a two-month break.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-10-2004 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #198
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, September 8, 2003

Parnaby: 'I Want First Team'

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Boro defender Stuart Parnaby told The Sunday Times that he is concerned about being left off of the Middlesbrough first team.

"I played a significant role on last season's team," Parnaby said from the practice pitch for the England Under-21 squad Monday. "I don't feel I have done anything to deserve being placed on the reserve squad this season."

Parnaby, who can play both defender and defensive midfielder, appeared in 21 matches with Middlesbrough last season, going scoreless. The 21-year-old is thought to be an up-and-coming young player by some football observers.

Parnaby saw time in four of the Boro's preseason friendlies, but has been on the reserve squad since the season opener. He has also appeared in three matches with the reserves.

Parnaby has yet to be rated under a 7 by football raters in any of his seven appearances.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta was unavailable for comment Sunday.

Parnaby is a little used reserve with the England Under-21 squad. The national youth team beat FYR of MAcedonia, 3-2, on Friday, and host Leichtenstein Tuesday at Wembley Stadium in London.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:38 AM   #199
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, September 9, 2003

Kieta Says Parnaby Important Part Of Squad

The Boro Manager Speaks With Defender About Role

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Part of the tricks managers have to pull every season is roughing over the edges when a player gets out of line or upset.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta has already dealt with a few of those in this early season. Monday, he had a talk with defender Stuart Parnaby about comments Parnaby made to the media concerning his role with the Boro this season.

"I told Stuart he is an important part of this club, now and in the future," Kieta said. "He told me he understands and trusts that I will call him up when I feel he is ready."

On Sunday, Parnaby told The Times that he wanted first team football at Middlesbrough. The defender has been on the reserve squad since the beginning of the season.

Kieta said he was straight-forward with Parnaby.

"He has a lot of talent, but right now, we're set on our backline," Kieta said. "The guys ahead of him are veterans, used to first team play. He is still young and I want him to see regular match experience, which he wouldn't get with the first team."

Parnaby said he apologized to the manager for speaking about his concerns to the media.

"That was irresponsible of me," Parnaby said Monday. "I got caught at a bad moment and wasn't as careful as I should have been. I know Mister Kieta has a plan, and now I know my role in it. I'll be ready when they need me."

Parnaby is currently with the England Under-21 squad in London, where they are preparing to play Liechtenstein at Wembley Stadium today.

Parnaby is expected to return to Middlesbrough after the Liechtenstein match and likely continue his play with the reserve squad.

Parnaby appeared in 21 matches with the Boro last season, but didn't score a goal.

In addition to this latest affair, Kieta has had to deal with comments he made about a string of bad play by striker Massimo Maccarone and the concerns of midfielder Juninho that the club doesn't make enough money to keep the first team together.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:44 AM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just in case anyone saw anything funny, I forgot to do a write up of the opening of the South Amercian Quals for the 2006 World Cup. So I wrote it up, and then reworked it into correct chronological order with good ole cut and paste.

Of course, if you didn't read any of this over the past two hours or so, it is likely it doesn't matter to you.

CR