Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #151
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Looks like I'm canceling the cd-wow order and placing a new one with amazon.com.

can't comment on dervack's comment about the NA release being elicense only, but amazon.com doesn's ship to Canada and amazon.ca has never heard of any soccer or football manager game... idiots.

cd-wow is where my order stays for now.

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #152
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm still deciding on where to purchase from. I don't think I want Worldwide Soccer Manager this time around, just because the patches for FM always come out a bit sooner. It's between Gameplay and cd-wow right now, but maybe some other site will make its way to the forefront for me. I'll check it out over the next week or two and then place my preorder.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #153
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
aww dude, CM4?!? Come on, you want people to throw it all away and never touch it again?

I'd say people should start with FM2005 and then work their way up. FM2005 is the first non-Eidos version from SI Games and I'd say the feel of it is pretty close to what FM2006 and 2007 are now, sans media interaction, or barely any...

FM

I really enjoyed the older cm games that si games worked on.. not to say i don't enjoy all the fm's..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #154
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
can't comment on dervack's comment about the NA release being elicense only, but amazon.com doesn's ship to Canada and amazon.ca has never heard of any soccer or football manager game... idiots.

cd-wow is where my order stays for now.

FM
Never said it was elicense only, I'm saying they are doing a NA release with elicense.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #155
Icy
Pro Starter

I have preordered from gameplay.co.uk and they ship worldwide. I have read good comments at SI games forums from that site and that they usually ship the games like a day before the release day. They did it for FM06. The price is not bad, £24.99.

Last edited by Icy : 10-04-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #156
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Amazon has it for $30 (and I get next day shipping for four bucks due to their "Amazon Prime" service)

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-Americ...533405?ie=UTF8
Old 10-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #157
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola: selling well, too. Already in the top 200 for Computer and Video Games..
Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #158
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's awesome!

I'll hafta bring you something nice as a gift Fozzer.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #159
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You're welcome, DT.. Amazon Prime is the best $99 I ever spent. (I'm the impatient sort with my stuff)
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #160
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

long as us WWSM players don't take it in the pooper with regard to waiting extra time for patches again. that'd be unfortunate.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #161
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Was that a problem for all WWSM players, or just the download folks? I had WWSM on CD, and don't remember ever having a problem with it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #162
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Was that a problem for all WWSM players, or just the download folks? I had WWSM on CD, and don't remember ever having a problem with it.

now that i think about it i think it was just the DL folks, b/c of Digital River.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #163
SunDevil
College Prospect

Yep, downloaded it last year. Will not make that mistake again. Will just buy the FM version this time. Of course I am like some of the other posters, this will be my third time trying the game, I hope its the charm. I got into last year's game but it still was a challenge. This year I plan on getting the game at release and following the 60 page, 3,000 post thread first impressions and game tips.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 10-04-2006 at 04:28 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #164
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
One interesting thing, I just noticed..

in my game against MK Dons, I noticed that players are warming up on the sideline (without me telling them to), during 2nd half action

I noticed this also, very nice.
Was this a feature in the '06 version?

'Course I'm still running the '05 version, :o so I'm probably light years behind.

Interface looks fresh, player search filters are also nice(click on attackers, and attackers are filtered.

A question though, I let my asst. mgr. control 1 friendly, and reserves and youth players were played.

Thought reserves had there own friendlies.

Regulars should be playing to get into match fitness.

Is this right?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #165
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
I noticed this also, very nice.
Was this a feature in the '06 version?

'Course I'm still running the '05 version, :o so I'm probably light years behind.

Interface looks fresh, player search filters are also nice(click on attackers, and attackers are filtered.

A question though, I let my asst. mgr. control 1 friendly, and reserves and youth players were played.

Thought reserves had there own friendlies.

Regulars should be playing to get into match fitness.

Is this right?

first off, yes, the players warming up is new to the 07 version

The 2nd part of it.. check your reserve teams, usually unless you're a big name team, your reserves won't have any preseason friendlies, so sometimes the Asst Manager will roteate in reserves/youths to give them a run out (amd to make sure your players aren't overloaded.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #166
Bee
Pro Starter

Something I noticed when playing the demo was that after going on a bad run the media criticized me for not being willing to try a different tactic than the 4-4-2. The next game I switched things up and went with a different tactic (the 4-1-3-2)...and lost...and then got criticized again for not being willing to try a different tactic than the 4-1-3-2. Looks like a bug to me (albeit a minor one) or based on some of the media here in the US perhaps a very realistic addition to the game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #167
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So what does it mean if a player warms up? That he's itching to get in, and will probably do well right off? Or that he's got a bit too much ego, and thinks he's going to go in soon? Or both?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #168
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So what does it mean if a player warms up? That he's itching to get in, and will probably do well right off? Or that he's got a bit too much ego, and thinks he's going to go in soon? Or both?

I *THINK* that it's just fluf, at least in this version. One of the Marks could say for sure though.

Quote:
Amazon has it for $30 (and I get next day shipping for four bucks due to their "Amazon Prime" service)

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-Americ...533405?ie=UTF8

Yes, the Amazon Prime discount is nice. I'm using next day aswell so it's only a little over $33 I believe, whereas it would have been in the mid $40's to get next day without. Nice,

And I don't seem to remember too many problems with the boxed version of WWSM last year, it was just the download version. Indeed, I believe you can use the FM patches on WWSM boxed version...at least I know some did last year.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #169
henry296
College Starter

During the game, how do I change overall team tactics regarding mentality. For example, if I want to go more defensive when I get load, can I do it without changing each player?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #170
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
During the game, how do I change overall team tactics regarding mentality. For example, if I want to go more defensive when I get load, can I do it without changing each player?

You pick either quick tactics (pause the game) or detailed. Then you select "team instructions" from the drop down box labeled "instructions" close to the top right corner. Change the "mentality" slide bar accordingly.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #171
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
And I don't seem to remember too many problems with the boxed version of WWSM last year, it was just the download version. Indeed, I believe you can use the FM patches on WWSM boxed version...at least I know some did last year.
I don't think you can use the FM patches on the boxed WWSM game. WWSM has its own patches which usually come out a day or two after the FM patches.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #172
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Is there a good "quick start guide" or more to the point a "n00b walkthrough" that can help someone untterly unfamiliar with the game get started. Predictable, I loaded the game and kind of went blank - not knowing what I should really be doing. I know it is a highly immersive game and there are dozens of areas I'll need to pat attention to (training, contracts, transfers, games, staff, etc.) But a general gameplay flow is hard for get my arms around. Thanks a bunch!
Toddzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #173
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Is there a good "quick start guide" or more to the point a "n00b walkthrough" that can help someone untterly unfamiliar with the game get started. Predictable, I loaded the game and kind of went blank - not knowing what I should really be doing. I know it is a highly immersive game and there are dozens of areas I'll need to pat attention to (training, contracts, transfers, games, staff, etc.) But a general gameplay flow is hard for get my arms around. Thanks a bunch!

you could probably download Marc Vaughan's hints and tips for FM2006. It should help you get a feel for a whole bunch of things happening in the game...

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=358

FM
Old 10-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #174
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
AI

booyakasha
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #175
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Will Quiksand and Skydog be buying this version of the game?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #176
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

can anyone elaborate on area where this is improved over 2006? I have 2006 and am wondering if an upgrade is worth it.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #177
henry296
College Starter

Another question. I marked a player to reject all offers, yet I still get news items about inquiries and the Respond Button is at the bottom.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #178
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
now that i think about it i think it was just the DL folks, b/c of Digital River.

I DL'ed last year and had problems early, once those were straightened out the game ran pretty well. I do plan on staying away from the DL this year and getting FM instead of WWSM. I never was able to get the English lingo (instead of the American) to work right with WWSM and it just wasn't the same without it.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #179
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Kuyt should not be that good.

Seven goals at the HALF???? SWEET CHOCOLATE CHRIST!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #180
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
can anyone elaborate on area where this is improved over 2006? I have 2006 and am wondering if an upgrade is worth it.

The blogs which have been posted before go into pretty good detail about some of the improvements.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #181
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
The blogs which have been posted before go into pretty good detail about some of the improvements.

I was looking for a non-SI-affiliated perspective.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #182
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, I finally broke down and pre-ordered it from Amazon... had really wanted to spend the money on EHM but it seems like that game is at least a major patch and an unfaking update away from being playable.

As this is the first time I have been over this side of the pond for an FM release, can somebody sum up the differences betweeen WWSM and FM for me? Is it exactly the same game with different support? If there are big differences I may cancel the Amazon order and go with CD-WOW to get the FM version.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #183
MrBug708
Head Coach

I found this on the SI boards, not sure if it was posted or people knew about it, but it basically shows what the MLS will be about. Looks very very promising....

http://www.americansportsgamer.com/d...quickguide.doc
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 AM   #184
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I was looking for a non-SI-affiliated perspective.

Ahhh but how do you know we don't employ undercover agents to post on boards innocently until mention of our games appears and then they ...... strike

PS> Its rather good actually .... in my somewhat biased opinion
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #185
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I've seen two features/functions that don't seem to be working for me:

1) How do I get a veteran player to tutor a youngster? I've looked on the player interaction screen but no luck.

2) When I use the send to reserves feature, the players aren't returning to the first team in the specified timeframe.

Anyone have suggestions, or is this still a beta with bugs to be patched before release?

Thanks as always
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #186
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I found this on the SI boards, not sure if it was posted or people knew about it, but it basically shows what the MLS will be about. Looks very very promising....

Now THIS is something that I kind of understand and could get me to buy FM 07. I've watched a few MLS games and by reading that document, I'm thinking it's similar to our NHL, NBA, NFL, etc..? in that it's a professional soccer league here in the US? How do they releate to the world leagues? Do players come from any of those teams or just NCAA players only?

Thanks! It just seems to me the MLS would be MUCH easier for me to understand.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #187
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Now THIS is something that I kind of understand and could get me to buy FM 07. I've watched a few MLS games and by reading that document, I'm thinking it's similar to our NHL, NBA, NFL, etc..? in that it's a professional soccer league here in the US? How do they releate to the world leagues? Do players come from any of those teams or just NCAA players only?

Thanks! It just seems to me the MLS would be MUCH easier for me to understand.

Basically, American teams can sign any player around the world (of course, as long as they are a free agent), as long as the following happens

1) They have a roster spot open
2) If the player is not an American, as long as they have an open International Roster spot
3) They can fit the new player's salary under the cap.

Most times in Real Life MLS, it's free agents (what the game would call a free transfer) only, because of single-entity (the league owns the teams, and the ownership groups are more owner-operator), the league doesn't shell out the money.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #188
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Basically, American teams can sign any player around the world (of course, as long as they are a free agent), as long as the following happens

1) They have a roster spot open
2) If the player is not an American, as long as they have an open International Roster spot
3) They can fit the new player's salary under the cap.

Most times in Real Life MLS, it's free agents (what the game would call a free transfer) only, because of single-entity (the league owns the teams, and the ownership groups are more owner-operator), the league doesn't shell out the money.

Interesting and thanks. Is it true the MLS setup would be easier for beginners than the normal FM setup?

Also, does the world league go on as the MLS goes on? .. meaning the MLS is a sub-world of the main world league.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #189
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Interesting and thanks. Is it true the MLS setup would be easier for beginners than the normal FM setup?

Also, does the world league go on as the MLS goes on? .. meaning the MLS is a sub-world of the main world league.

Most Leagues (nearly all European Leagues for example) run Fall to Spring (the English Premier League, Italy's Serie A, Spain's La Liga).

MLS is different in they run spring to fall, so they have the summer months virtually to themselves.

MLS is better for newbies I think for the following reason

Static League: No promotion/relegation
Solid rules that enhance learning about scouting functions
Salary Cap prevents new folks from going out and getting their team in deep financial trouble by buying every big name player.
Name/Face Recognition
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #190
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

OMG. I need a Kleenex! I think this also means that USL teams will be in. It looks llike mass improvement for the American soccer scene in FM07. Where is my credit card so I can pre-order?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #191
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
OMG. I need a Kleenex! I think this also means that USL teams will be in. It looks llike mass improvement for the American soccer scene in FM07. Where is my credit card so I can pre-order?

The USL more than likely will be in as a "back ground" league not as a playable league. This is based on everything I have read plus confirmation from SI that no new leagues have been added.

It does appear thought that the MSL portion of the game is begining to make some strides.

Change topics, can someone from SI comment on if International management has seen any improvements for 2007? I have not seen anything on the blogs or anywhere else addressing this.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #192
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I've seen two features/functions that don't seem to be working for me:

1) How do I get a veteran player to tutor a youngster? I've looked on the player interaction screen but no luck.

2) When I use the send to reserves feature, the players aren't returning to the first team in the specified timeframe.

Anyone have suggestions, or is this still a beta with bugs to be patched before release?

Thanks as always

With #1, you need to go to the younger players "Player Interaction" and there should be an option to make that he could model is play after so and so, etc. After that media comment both players will respond and the older player will accept the role. You'll see "LRN" and "TUT" next to their name. I have to players that are being tutored.

Not tried #2.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #193
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip View Post
The USL more than likely will be in as a "back ground" league not as a playable league. This is based on everything I have read plus confirmation from SI that no new leagues have been added.

It does appear thought that the MSL portion of the game is begining to make some strides.

Change topics, can someone from SI comment on if International management has seen any improvements for 2007? I have not seen anything on the blogs or anywhere else addressing this.

Has their been ways in the past to make a background league into a playable league using an editor of sorts?

I will also state this. FM in the past has classifed a league as basically a country. For example, if it added the Mexican league, SI would say Mexico would be a new league. But if it added a new division, they would not say anything.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #194
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
you could probably download Marc Vaughan's hints and tips for FM2006. It should help you get a feel for a whole bunch of things happening in the game...

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=358

FM
That's a great guide, but I need something....dumber. Not understanding some of the nuances, a demonstration would help, or a simple walkthrough of a seson.
Toddzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #195
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Has their been ways in the past to make a background league into a playable league using an editor of sorts?

There have been a few people who have made the USL playable via the editor. However, all this is a taking an existing league and renaming it. Then replacing the rosters and team names .. The original League rules, transfer windows, regular season and cup schedule etc still apply.

Quote:
I will also state this. FM in the past has classifed a league as basically a country. For example, if it added the Mexican league, SI would say Mexico would be a new league. But if it added a new division, they would not say anything.

Ahhh, after again reading the MLS guide again,noted above, it does state:
"*Set up affiliations with USL teams (American Second and Third Division). This will help get more of your fringe players starting roles and experience"

It does not say "USL" second and Third division, it says "American"..Perhaps they are taking the EHM approach ie AAL-4,AAL-3. This would be great!
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the only thing that worries me about this game (and according to the si boards its being looked at) is the crazy amounts of $$ being thrown about to sign mediocre players. it shouldn't cost me 60 million dollars to sign dani alves for example, not when his value is listed as 16 million. i 'd love to see something where a player's value=a number that actually had some meaning. right now having to go 3-4 times value to get players who are valued at 8 million dollars is a bit ridiculous.

I think what might solve the problem as an easy fix would be to have managers declaring interest in a player to have more effect than it does now. at least if the new team is bigger/a favored club, etc
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #197
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
That's a great guide, but I need something....dumber. Not understanding some of the nuances, a demonstration would help, or a simple walkthrough of a seson.
My position is this, just buy the game. Trust me. You will like it. I bought my first FM about 4 years ago knowing very very little about soccer and having not watched a single international soccer game other than the 94 World Cup and you will learn eventually. You will fall in LOVE with the 2d simulator. FOF, TCY & BBCF would be taken to another level if someone could institute something like this into those games.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #198
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
With #1, you need to go to the younger players "Player Interaction" and there should be an option to make that he could model is play after so and so, etc. After that media comment both players will respond and the older player will accept the role. You'll see "LRN" and "TUT" next to their name. I have to players that are being tutored.

Not tried #2.

Thanks. I was looking on the older player's screen.

There's a tutorial function that's available by pressing F1, but I'm not sure if it's available in the demo.

Regarding the pricing of players, the value is really just a base price. There are multipliers if the club doesn't want to sell, and reductions if a player is actively looking to leave. The better your team, the fewer the options, hence the inflated prices for top players.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #199
rexallllsc
Banned

So what day is this out? Someone please say "soon"!
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #200
cschex
High School Varsity

I've noticed the same thign about players sent to the reserves who are designated to come up to the first team when match fit, but i'm finding I'm still having to bring them up manually. Other than that, I haven't notcied any issues.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote