Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #151
Atocep
Coordinator

See Cleveland fans, Boozer was only looking our for his family.

ESPN - Utah Jazz's Carlos Boozer plans to opt out at end of season
Quote:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It is time to stop guessing whether Carlos Boozer will opt out of the final season of his contract with the Utah Jazz.

For the first time, Boozer said unequivocally Wednesday night that he will indeed opt out of his contract at the end of the season, foregoing a guaranteed $12.66 million to become an unrestricted free agent.

"I'm opting out. No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless," Boozer told ESPN.com. "I am going to opt out, I don't see why I wouldn't, I think it's a very good business decision for me and my family, but I'd also like to see what happens with the Jazz and stay here."
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #152
Groundhog
Coordinator

Paul Millsap has been pretty amazing for the Jazz - over the past 10 games Millsap is averaging 18.6pts 11.5rebs on .562 shooting - I'm not so sure that Boozer would be the highest of priorities, especially given his penchant for disappearing and going soft in the big games.

The real question is who wants to tie money up in Boozer, given that everyone seems to be waiting until 2010?

Last edited by Groundhog : 12-18-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #153
whomario
Pro Starter

Just a bump because today has some really great matchups, highlighted of course by the Lakers and Celtics in LA. It´s not that often you have teams with a combined winning% of 88 meet 30 games into the year.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #154
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good Christmas game for the Lakers
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #155
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Simmons on espn.com
Look, I think we learned one thing other than it's hard to beat a good team at home when they're getting every call -- when Kobe is the best guy on the floor, the Lakers win. He was brilliant Thursday. That's why the Lakers won. For whatever reason, he didn't do it in the Finals and that's why they lost. So basically, I learned nothing other than that my dad has a new nickname for Tony Allen: "The Heart Attack." And just an FYI: You can't get revenge for a 39-point loss in the deciding game of an NBA Finals by beating someone in a regular-season game at home. I am almost positive.
Good win for the Lakers. I thought the Celtics played like shit frankly. The fact they didn't take it to the hole early and often and get free throws and get Lakers bigs in foul trouble in the first half was pretty much inexcusable. They were shooting shitty jump shots all night long - I'm frankly amazed the game was as close as it was.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #156
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Shut the fuck up, Simmons.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #157
molson
General Manager

Geez, a crisp 45-point win for the Celtics over the Warriors gets them back on track, that's the same margin as that Knick game last year.

Last edited by molson : 12-28-2008 at 10:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #158
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol they're going to be fine

GREEN 18!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #159
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I know the NBA sucks very badly but seeing Lebron and the "crab dribble" makes me puke. How the fuck does a professional player think he should get away with taking (what looks like) 4 steps to the basket? I know one of the reasons cited for the repulsiveness of the NBA (the college game is still cool) is all of the traveling. Has it gotten this bad?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #160
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I know the NBA sucks very badly but seeing Lebron and the "crab dribble" makes me puke. How the fuck does a professional player think he should get away with taking (what looks like) 4 steps to the basket? I know one of the reasons cited for the repulsiveness of the NBA (the college game is still cool) is all of the traveling. Has it gotten this bad?

I've seen more travels called this season than I think I have in the past 2 or 3 seasons combined. Granted, they still get away with plenty more, but I think they are trying to cut down on the really obvious ones, anyhow.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #161
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Speaking of Durant, a lot of people were hard on him last season (I was definitely one of them) but he played much better in the 2nd half offensively and looked like he could have huge season offensively this year. So far this season, he's shown zero improvement from last, though. The fact that he still isn't defending, shows no interest in rebounding, and doesnt have a clue how to pass has to be a concern.

Revisiting this, I don't get to watch him play anywhere near as much as I did last season but Scott Brooks moving him to SF seems to be what he needed. He's actually rebounding like someone his size should, he's shooting better, and getting to the free throw line a little bit more.

I don't think he's as athletic as he was made out to be coming out of Texas, but it looks like his upside is higher than I thought based off of his play at shooting guard.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #162
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

This isn't about traveling, but more about the NBA sucks comment (also not really directed at Bucc, just frustrated because I have friends here that say the same thing even though they haven't watched a game in at least 5 years).

I think the NBA is still being judged by the Pat Riley with the Knicks years. It may not be as entertaining as it was during the 80s when everyone just threw shots up as soon as they got past half court, but offenses today are actually more efficient than in the 80s and the pace is a lot faster than it was in the late 90s.

There's some great basketball being played now, but "the NBA sucks" is all a lot of people want to think.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #163
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Revisiting this, I don't get to watch him play anywhere near as much as I did last season but Scott Brooks moving him to SF seems to be what he needed. He's actually rebounding like someone his size should, he's shooting better, and getting to the free throw line a little bit more.

I don't think he's as athletic as he was made out to be coming out of Texas, but it looks like his upside is higher than I thought based off of his play at shooting guard.

And it wasn't at all surprising. Did anybody outside of the Sonics coaching staff think Durant would actually be an NBA SG? SF is clearly his position, rather than hanging on the perimeter exclusively.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #164
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This isn't about traveling, but more about the NBA sucks comment (also not really directed at Bucc, just frustrated because I have friends here that say the same thing even though they haven't watched a game in at least 5 years).

I think the NBA is still being judged by the Pat Riley with the Knicks years. It may not be as entertaining as it was during the 80s when everyone just threw shots up as soon as they got past half court, but offenses today are actually more efficient than in the 80s and the pace is a lot faster than it was in the late 90s.

There's some great basketball being played now, but "the NBA sucks" is all a lot of people want to think.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Bucc's post yesterday. The NBA game today is actually a lot of fun and interesting, and I enjoy watching most any game now. It has improved tons from the thug game of the late 90s and earlier this decade.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

But it's so much easier just to say it sucks. If they would just cut down the length of the contracts I think play would get even better.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #166
Groundhog
Coordinator

Whenever I watch a game from the early 90s in particular I'm amazed at the disparity in athleticism between the very athletic guys (Jordan a prime example) and the other guys on the court. It's like he's three steps ahead of everybody. You just don't see that in today's NBA with everybody as athletic as they are.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

JJ Hickson made some amazing athletic move the other night. It got me thinking about how the Cavs haven't had an athletic 4 since Larry Nance. I'm hoping JJ develops.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #168
Groundhog
Coordinator

Me too. I wasn't happy at all when we drafted Hickson, but I've come around with the hints of potential we've seen from him so far.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #169
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nobody watched the game last night?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #170
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't believe my Bulls are a game out of the 8th playoff spot. Would be nice to see them get in and give Rose a little playoff experience (even if it's a 4-0 sweep).

The Bulls need to dump Larry Hughes fast. I would also not be against moving Gordon too. The team really needs to build around Rose and those guys are stunting his growth. Sure they won't be as good without them, but this team isn't contending for anything. It's filled with too many guards playing for themselves. Del Negro is too pussy to bench Hughes because he knows he'll cry to the media.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #171
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

problem is you can't dump hughes - nobody wants him.

although this is the nba - i guess his massive contract gives him value when it gets close to expiring
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #172
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
problem is you can't dump hughes - nobody wants him.

although this is the nba - i guess his massive contract gives him value when it gets close to expiring

He's got one year left after this. It probably makes him valuable this coming offseason. The Bulls are going to refuse to add years or salary as they want to be in the running for Wade/Lebron/Bosh/etc in 2010. The problem is that he's such a cancer that it hurts Rose's development.

If I was the Bulls, the next time he mouths off to the media, I'd send him home. Sure it sucks to pay someone who isn't playing, but he is hurting the long term development of this team. Not just for Rose, but for guys like Sefolosha who the Bulls need to find out whether he can play.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The trade to dump Gooden and Hughes has been amazing for the Cavs. It's sad ill take a declining and overpaid Big Ben instead. Neither Hughes or gooden are "winning" players. They should be 8th or 9th men on a good team.

Delonte West also came over in the trade and has been a key contributor.

Hughes should be good to trade next year. The Bulls have a really bad mix of players. It's starting to look like Chandler Curry deja vu with the high picks they've missed on. Other than Rose
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #174
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Orlando set an NBA record by making 23 three-point shots tonight, going 23 of 37. They won 139-107. I'm so impressed with their first half of the season, on pace for over 60 wins.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #175
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good win for the Lakers and Kobe!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #176
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

No, not being judged by the Riley years but by the rampant selfishness of play since the Be Like Mike days started, with a lot of showboating and "look at me" crap. Here's a good summary from our local Nuggets beat writer

Quote:
DENVER • Carmelo Anthony is physically healthy. His fractured right hand is healed.

Here's what is more important:

Anthony is mentally healthy. Don't worry. I'm no psychoanalyst. I can only comment on his basketball state of mind.

And, on the court, he's thriving.

He has grown - and this has been a long time coming - into a team player. He's ready to carry his Denver Nuggets on a long ride in the NBA playoffs.

A snapshot from Friday's 110-99 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats revealed the new Anthony. He was driving through the lane when two defenders pounced on him.

The old Anthony would have lowered his shoulder, battled both defenders, forced a shot and angered his teammates.

The new, improved Anthony flipped the ball to Nene, who shook the rim with an uncontested dunk. It was a selfless play by a formerly selfish player.

Imo, there have been and still continues to be way too many players like the "old" Melo, and that what makes the NBA sucks.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #177
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, not being judged by the Riley years but by the rampant selfishness of play since the Be Like Mike days started, with a lot of showboating and "look at me" crap. Here's a good summary from our local Nuggets beat writer

Imo, there have been and still continues to be way too many players like the "old" Melo, and that what makes the NBA sucks.

Yeah, sounds like someone who...doesn't watch any NBA games.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah if you watch a good team like the cavs, celts, magic, spurs lakers or a few others you really can enjoy the game a lot more.

The scheduling is still one of the biggest factors in why the league can suck at some points. Back to back games tend to be horrible. there are too many games as well.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, Steve, I agree with these others. I don't get the feeling you have been watching too many games recently.

Not saying if you haven't and watch now, that you're not going to see the same thing, since, certainly, selfish players still exist.

But the game has really improved tons, IMO, in the past 3-4 years really. Not sure really what to pin it on.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #180
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You're right of course. I have heard (esp. in previous year's threads) about how there have been some changes but I was surprised that "old Melo" had persisted that long, esp. being a star player and an All-Star. I guess there was a period where selfishness ruled the game and that's what many ex-fans remembered. Glad to see some indication that it may have been a bad thing?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #181
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bynum out for 8-12 weeks with a torn MCL
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #182
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is almost time time to have the same concerns about Bynum's injury history that there are about Greg Oden's.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #183
Groundhog
Coordinator

If anything, should be MORE concerned about Bynum at this point. His production (offensively, at least) of late had started to match the size of his contract, and now this. Again.

I have serious concerns about his ability as a defender, as well. DeAndre Jordan looked like a superstar the other night against Bynum, and he's not the first guy to have a career game against Bynum/Gasol this season.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #184
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It is almost time time to have the same concerns about Bynum's injury history that there are about Greg Oden's.

I dunno really, his seem to be more about things crashing into him or stepping onto a players foot
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #185
kingfc22
Head Coach

The Kings are losing 101-55 right now to the Suns...oh my...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #186
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm curious Bucc - do you sit and bitch about how things were better in the ol' days when "men were men"? Stop whining so much about guys having a good time.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #187
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Chris Paul down with a groin injury. Hornets had a 72-55 lead on Portland at the time of his injury and get outscored 42-17 over the final 14 minutes. The Hornets aren't going to beat anyone with him out, which could be awhile, so I expect them to end up being the odd team out in this nine-team playoff scramble in the West.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #188
Groundhog
Coordinator

First Kobe tears the Knicks a new A-Hole on their home court, and now LeBron has 18 points and the 1st quarter isn't over yet. Oh dear.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #189
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

go grizzlies

there i said it
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #190
Groundhog
Coordinator

gtfo

having said that, OJ Mayo #1.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #191
Groundhog
Coordinator

LeBron finishes up with 52 points and a triple-double.

In other news, the Golden State warriors have scored 17 points in three minutes to start the game against the Suns, and are up 17-2. With 9:15 remaining in the first.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #192
RainMaker
General Manager

Is anyone else sick over the fawning ESPN is giving Kobe and Lebron? The Knicks suck and don't play defense. It also didn't hurt that the refs were sending Lebron to the line everytime someone looked at him.

Both are great players, but this is news when they put those numbers up against the Celtics.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #193
Ramzavail
College Starter

Kobe got to the line alot as well.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #194
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is anyone else sick over the fawning ESPN is giving Kobe and Lebron? The Knicks suck and don't play defense. It also didn't hurt that the refs were sending Lebron to the line everytime someone looked at him.

Both are great players, but this is news when they put those numbers up against the Celtics.

Are you actually suggesting LeBron and Kobe are relatively mediocre players who pad their stats against weak teams? Just wanted to be sure.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-05-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #195
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

61 points is still 61 points. And a 50+ point triple double is still a 50+ point triple double.

It was only icing in the cake that both happened in MSG.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 02-06-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently the Lakers traded Radmonovic to Charlotte for Adam Morrison. We'll see how "The Stasch" does playing for Showtime 2.0

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-07-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #197
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think they did it to sign Ariza to a deal and keep him around. That Walton deal is a bad deal still though.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I hadn't really seen Morrison until going to a Wizards game this year and, man, he should have stayed with that hair he had at Gonzaga.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #199
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Good God the Raptors suck. That is all.

----------------------------------------
Basketblogging - Hoops News and Opinion
Basketball News and Opinion
From the Blogosphere