Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #151
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
An EA developer slamming the PS3's ease of development:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1767.html

"The truth is the PS3’s tools and the way it works just sucks. The truth is they are both virtually the same in terms of hardware when it comes to how powerful they are, maybe the PS3 has a few different things that makes it a bit more advance, and Sony has this idea that it is designed for optimal development but that’s a load of crap. In the last generation we would make the game for PS2 and then port it over to Xbox, but because Xbox was easier to develop for, we could actually enhance the title a little if we wanted to. The case with this generation is different, now we make the game for 360 first and then port it over to PS3, but we really don’t have the time to mess with how the PS3 works to really add to much more. It will change in the future, but for now it sucks.”

To be fair, this is from the studio that seems to have the most idiotic programmers in the industry for someone as large as they are. This is the only group that couldn't figure out how to eliminate lag times on the Gamecube, for instance. Or has a plethora of bugs... in console games. Never mind the fact that they figured it was just easier to cough up money for exclusivity than actually work to improve games. So, let's take it with a grain of salt.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #152
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
This is always the argument used online, 'it's just my opinion, throw me on ignore if you don't like it'. Okay, I didn't see that one coming... And fyi, I wasn't saying your opinion was embarrassing, just the total unwillingness to admit you were wrong when there is nothing other than your 'opinion' backing it up and everything else pointing to opposite (and you're not the first to do it in these threads).

Anyway. Has anyone found the new 360's readily available yet?

I'm tempted to sell my 360 and a few games and pick up the newer model a week or two later if it would help curve the lock up issues I have basically with all the EA games (Madden and NCCA are virtually unplayable) and the occassional freeze with the rest of the bunch.

That's just it, I haven't been proven wrong yet. Just because 5 people disagree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm off base. I have no issue admitting I'm wrong, but just because Marc said so doesn't make it wrong. (no offense Marc, you're still my favorite game developer) If you have facts from inside the Amazon board room, please post em. If not, say my opinion is idiotic, but don't act as though you have the golden opinion and can't be disagreed with.

As for the new 360's, they aren't in the retail chain yet. My guess is they'll be in stores for fourth quarter. I'd say that in all probability you are looking at October.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #153
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

This may have been covered in another thread (July console sales numbers, etc.), but how do you have the numbers for August when August isn't done yet?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #154
SackAttack
Head Coach

Basically the thread pops up in, say, August with the July numbers.

It's really weird nomenclature, but that's how they've been named so far. shrug.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #155
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Basically the thread pops up in, say, August with the July numbers.

It's really weird nomenclature, but that's how they've been named so far. shrug.
No, that only started in the last couple of threads - usually they've been named correctly.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #156
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
No, that only started in the last couple of threads - usually they've been named correctly.

I changed the title to make it semi-correct and make it thoroughly confusing all at the same time.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those that have a PS3 and enjoy multiplayer gaming, Warhawk is a must-buy. I put in a couple of hours last night and really had a blast. I'm not sure I'm all that good at it, but I had fun even when I was getting blasted away. I've also been really happy to see no lag in the gameplay, as it was a pretty major problem in the beta.

The reviews have been very good, with most being in the 8.5-9.0 range. I purchased the downloadable version for $40 as I already had a Bluetooth headset. Download size is around 800MB.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
For those that have a PS3 and enjoy multiplayer gaming, Warhawk is a must-buy. I put in a couple of hours last night and really had a blast. I'm not sure I'm all that good at it, but I had fun even when I was getting blasted away. I've also been really happy to see no lag in the gameplay, as it was a pretty major problem in the beta.

The reviews have been very good, with most being in the 8.5-9.0 range. I purchased the downloadable version for $40 as I already had a Bluetooth headset. Download size is around 800MB.

I really love that you can use the bluetooth on the PS3. Overall, the PS3 looks to be the more rock solid console in terms of construction, noise, hardware features. MS just destroys them on the software end. Better software, better online experience, easier menus, etc. Still think Sony has fallen to far behind to catch up at this point, but we'll see what they do.

As for Warhawk, I only see two reviews at gamerankings. One a 6.5, the other an 8.5. The 8.5 review is interesting to me, read the last line:

understand that Warhawk is engaging, addictive, reasonably long-lasting fun. It's just not quite $40 worth.

This is one of those things that drives me nuts about review scores. An 8 to 10 game should be well worth the money you paid for it, the best of the best. A 7 game should be a solid, well above average game with a few flaws. A 4-6 range should be an average game with the severity of the flaws determining the range. 3 or under should be essentially unplayable garbage.

Here we have a guy who reviews a game at 85% and it's not quite worth the $40. Are you kidding me?

Nothing against the game. It's one I will probably pick up at some point. First I have to work my way through Bioshock and Metroid and then maybe actually play Madden a bit more. The game looks pretty fun though.

When is Ace Combat 6 coming out for the 360?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #159
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
As for Warhawk, I only see two reviews at gamerankings. One a 6.5, the other an 8.5.

Metacritic.com has 6 reviews up so far (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/warhawk). Only one review was scored lower than 80, which is the one you cited. The praise/criticisms on the reviews in general are pretty valid.

It's definitely not a 6.5 game by any stretch. Their main complain was that it was too expensive for an online only game. They cut $20 off the price and tossed in a very well reviewed headset into the retail version. If that's not good enough, wait for a price drop, but it's not a reason to render a bad review. Gameplay should be the major consideration and it's well done in Warhawk.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-29-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #160
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Metacritic.com has 6 reviews up so far (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/warhawk). Only one review was scored lower than 80, which is the one you cited. The praise/criticisms on the reviews in general are pretty valid.

It's definitely not a 6.5 game by any stretch. Their main complain was that it was too expensive for an online only game. They cut $20 off the price and tossed in a very well reviewed headset into the retail version. If that's not good enough, wait for a price drop, but it's not a reason to render a bad review. Gameplay should be the major consideration and it's well done in Warhawk.

Don't doubt it at all. From everything I'm reading, it sounds like a 7 to 7.5. Good, solid game, but not a classic either.

Price isn't a consideration for me personally. The issue for me is time. I still have about half of Bioshock to go through and then Metroid will be up. That's probably another 20-30 hours worth of gaming (or more). By the time I'm done with them, it'll be close to Heavenly Sword and the hockey games. 2 weeks after that it's Halo 3. A week after that it's NBA2K8 and PGR4.

Add into this the fact that a good % of weekends and nights will be eaten up for football and it's simply a game that came out at the wrong time for me.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #161
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Out of 6 reviews, only one review score was lower than an 80.

Quote:
From everything I'm reading, it sounds like a 7 to 7.5.

Alright there, Captain Fuzzy Math.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #162
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony released a statement that states that the warehouse supply of the 60 GB machines is now gone. Only retail chains now hold the remaining stock. Statement also hints that a price drop on the 80 GB machine may occur in the near future.............

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=131768

Quote:
Sony elaborated on previous comments made about 60GB PS3 inventory stock on Wednesday, confirming that only retail supply of the $499 machine remains and suggesting that the expected 80GB price drop is imminent.

80GB PS3 bundle to drop to $499?
"We no longer have any inventory in SCEA warehouses. All inventory has been purchased and shipped to retailers," Sony's Dave Karraker said in an email.

"We don't have visibility as to if that is on their store shelves or in their warehouses at this time. However, based on inventory reports from our retailers, there is ample supply still left in the channel."

On Tuesday, it was revealed that Sony's online inventory had been fully depleted. In July, after slashing the PS3 price by $100, the company said that the now discontinued 60GB PS3 would be available for several months. At that point, Sony alluded that they may also reduce the price of the $599 80GB PS3 to $499 as many analyst expect.

"We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated," the company said at the time
Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #163
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Alright there, Captain Fuzzy Math.

Read my opinion of reviews above. I don't care that the guy rated the game as an 8.5, I care that he stated it wasn't worth the $40. In my mind that's a 7 to 7.5. (and that isn't the only one of the 6 reviews to state that)

If we want to get into semantics, I notice you said that most sites have the game as an 8.5-9.0 game. If by 3 of 6 sites having it scored like that is "most", you are correct.

I'm sure the game is good. But it doesn't look like it's "classic" good. To get into the Bioshock, Metroid, Heavenly Sword, hockey game battle, it's going to take better than that.

If the PS3 were my only gaming system, this game would be purchased tonight. It's not, so it won't.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Read my opinion of reviews above. I don't care that the guy rated the game as an 8.5, I care that he stated it wasn't worth the $40. In my mind that's a 7 to 7.5. (and that isn't the only one of the 6 reviews to state that)

If we want to get into semantics, I notice you said that most sites have the game as an 8.5-9.0 game. If by 3 of 6 sites having it scored like that is "most", you are correct.

Here's the scores thus far that I've got. Certainly not anywhere close overall to the 7 that you claim (which it should be noted that you haven't even played). The numbers speak for themself............

Warhawk:

PSM3 90/100
Yahoo Games 4/5
IGN 8.8
Ripten 8.7
Game Informer 8.25
GamePro 4/5
EGM 8.5, 7, 8.5
Edge 8/10
Gamereactor 7/10
PSM 6.5/10
Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #165
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Not to take sides, but it would make sense to "normalize" review scores before talking about them. A review of 8/10 means a much different thing for a company which reviews games between 6-10 and a company which uses the full 1-10.

Just throwing that out there before you guys go through too much review-score math.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #166
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Not to take sides, but it would make sense to "normalize" review scores before talking about them. A review of 8/10 means a much different thing for a company which reviews games between 6-10 and a company which uses the full 1-10.

Just throwing that out there before you guys go through too much review-score math.

Hence the reason I cited Metacritic (82 overall). I agree that it's still a somewhat imperfect art, but it gives a general score that can be compared to games that were reviewed using similar methods. Anything above 80 on Metacritic is a pretty good score for a video game.

We can quibble over a point here or there, but his implication that the game is a 7 without having even played the game when the general review scores are at least a point higher, is way off. If I came on here and said that Bioshock was likely an 8 based on some stuff I read in the reviews that rated it a 90 but said some critical things about the game, I'd get lynched by this group. It's a stupid comment with no basis whatsoever, much like his comment critical of the Lair price drop.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-29-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #167
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

why yall aint playin stuntman ignition man! yall arguing over some game wit a damm dragon and yall ignorin tha hottest game to drop since wii cookin mama

man 4get yall. imma go home tonite and jump over some lava on my bike. holla!

aight peace
Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #168
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's the scores thus far that I've got. Certainly not anywhere close overall to the 7 that you claim (which it should be noted that you haven't even played). The numbers speak for themself............

Warhawk:

PSM3 90/100
Yahoo Games 4/5
IGN 8.8
Ripten 8.7
Game Informer 8.25
GamePro 4/5
EGM 8.5, 7, 8.5
Edge 8/10
Gamereactor 7/10
PSM 6.5/10

Are you just trying to pick a fight or are you daft? I stated multple times that I don't give a damn what the score is because the review gives me a better idea. When a guy rates a game at 8.5 and then says it isn't worth the $40 he spent on it, I don't personally rate the game at an 8.5. I explained, in pretty solid detail, how I score games. If you score the game a 15 out of 10 and end your review by stating "it's not worth the money," I slide your score down to a 7. Understand? Do you need it spelled out more clearly than that? Should I put a spotlight up in the sky?

I've stated my reasons. Disagree with those? Great. Make a case against me. Don't post review scores after I've already told you why I think some of them are wacked.

For the record, I've also stated I'd buy the game if it wasn't for so many good games out now or if I owned only one system. I'm not bashing the game by saying it's a 7 to 7.5 on my scale. On MY scale that's a pretty darned good game that's worth a look. I apologize that my scale isn't in line with yours and that you didn't take the time to read why I have differences with review scores of a lot of gaming sites. I'll make sure to bold that opinion and put it in 40 point font next time so you see it.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #169
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
why yall aint playin stuntman ignition man! yall arguing over some game wit a damm dragon and yall ignorin tha hottest game to drop since wii cookin mama

man 4get yall. imma go home tonite and jump over some lava on my bike. holla!

aight peace

Uh, the dragon game is Lair, not Warhawk.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #170
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Uh, the dragon game is Lair, not Warhawk.
man all them games is the same. i dont see yall jumpin lava and shit. stuntman ignition 4 lyfe
Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some clarification regarding Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. It will not be a free download as previously reported by gaming sites. Also, there is an advantage to getting the retail version of the game as it will have damage modeling, whereas the PSN version of the game will not. 16 player online racing will be available.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816592p1.html
Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #172
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are you just trying to pick a fight or are you daft? I stated multple times that I don't give a damn what the score is because the review gives me a better idea. When a guy rates a game at 8.5 and then says it isn't worth the $40 he spent on it, I don't personally rate the game at an 8.5. I explained, in pretty solid detail, how I score games. If you score the game a 15 out of 10 and end your review by stating "it's not worth the money," I slide your score down to a 7. Understand? Do you need it spelled out more clearly than that? Should I put a spotlight up in the sky?

I've stated my reasons. Disagree with those? Great. Make a case against me. Don't post review scores after I've already told you why I think some of them are wacked.

For the record, I've also stated I'd buy the game if it wasn't for so many good games out now or if I owned only one system. I'm not bashing the game by saying it's a 7 to 7.5 on my scale. On MY scale that's a pretty darned good game that's worth a look. I apologize that my scale isn't in line with yours and that you didn't take the time to read why I have differences with review scores of a lot of gaming sites. I'll make sure to bold that opinion and put it in 40 point font next time so you see it.

I don't know Troy, when I take those numbers and average them I don't get a 7 either.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #173
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sometimes I think these threads are just for folks who like to argue.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #174
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Back on topic a bit....

Does anybody know if the 80 GB PS3's that they're selling right now still have the chip in them that makes the PS3 backwards compatible with older PS games? I can't remember what the chip is called, but basically it allows hardware compatability instead of relying on it in software.

Help?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #175
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sometimes I think these threads are just for folks who like to argue.

Only certain people.

Luckily that the review didn't say the game was worth a $1000 and Amazon still did a 50% price drop.

TK - the way I understood it is that the 80gig has software emulation instead of the ee chip to cut cost.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #176
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

dola

yeah here is the link confirming it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160917
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #177
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Back on topic a bit....

Does anybody know if the 80 GB PS3's that they're selling right now still have the chip in them that makes the PS3 backwards compatible with older PS games? I can't remember what the chip is called, but basically it allows hardware compatability instead of relying on it in software.

Help?

/tk

The 80 gig does not have the emotion engine chip.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #178
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Only certain people.

Luckily that the review didn't say the game was worth a $1000 and Amazon still did a 50% price drop.

TK - the way I understood it is that the 80gig has software emulation instead of the ee chip to cut cost.

1) You are correct. No emulation chip.
2) You read as well as Mizzou. Congrats.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The 80 gig does not have the emotion engine chip.

Yeah, I know that terpkristen was considering purchasing a PS3 soon. From what I've seen, the disbursement of the consoles vary pretty wildly. Some stores have quite a few 60 GB PS3's while others only have a couple available. Best to act sooner rather than later if you want the 60 GB with the Emotion Engine.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Additionally, Sony is reportedly paying less for the 80 GB HDD than they were for the 60 GB HDD. They secured a bulk rate for the drive that is actually better from a cost perspective than the 60 GB HDD counterpart. So even if they do drop it to $499 once the 60 GB machines run out, they're still making a larger profit margin than they were selling the 60 GB machine due to the HDD and EE savings.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #181
Kodos
Resident Alien

My PS2 love makes me want to get a PS3, but my brain tells me it still only has a couple games that I want to play on it...
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #182
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
My PS2 love makes me want to get a PS3, but my brain tells me it still only has a couple games that I want to play on it...
yea dog u need to get stuntman ignition aight u can jump LAVA and shit (smily face shit here) i recomend
Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #183
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My PS2 starting to make funny noises I can't track down after opening it up and not playing games right (random resets) is what's making me lean that way. And I know my local BB has 60 GB's in stock, sounds like I'm getting me one of those...

/tk
Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #184
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

The system itself is rock solid. Sony will eventually get games out for it. As of now, it's a pretty pathetic lineup. I don't think you'll regret purchasing it, it's just a matter of when you want to take the plunge.

My opinions:

360 -

Positives - Great games. Live is terrific. Best controller IMHO.
Negatives - Can'ts save via USB. Can't really do anything via USB. Loud. Systems have had problems.

PS3 -

Positives - System rock solid and quiet. BluRay if you are into movies. Built in wireless. Free online play. USB and bluetooth as well as ease of changing HDD.
Negatives - Software lineup a joke for a system that's been out for this long. Online is clunky. I don't like the feel of the six axis at all. Will buy a third party one at some point.

Wii -

Positives - Innovative. FUN. Great for the entire family.
Negatives - Need more games. Sports games will be prettier on the other two consoles.

Knowing what I know now: Assuming I had money for one console RIGHT NOW, I'd go 360 if I were an FPS/Sports game fan, WII if I had a family. The PS3 simply doesn't have the software to compete yet. It will at some point, but I have no idea when that'll be.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #185
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
My PS2 starting to make funny noises I can't track down after opening it up and not playing games right (random resets) is what's making me lean that way. And I know my local BB has 60 GB's in stock, sounds like I'm getting me one of those...

/tk

Oh. And wanted to thank those that responded, I had thought that the 80 GB version didn't have the chip, but couldn't go to a gaming site to confirm from work.

Thanks!
/tk
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #186
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
2) You read as well as Mizzou. Congrats.

Don't worry Troy, I get the whole "Reviewer gives score X, but the actual text of the review doesn't back that up, sounds more like score Y, so where did score X come from?" point.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #187
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
The system itself is rock solid. Sony will eventually get games out for it. As of now, it's a pretty pathetic lineup. I don't think you'll regret purchasing it, it's just a matter of when you want to take the plunge.

My opinions:

360 -

Positives - Great games. Live is terrific. Best controller IMHO.
Negatives - Can'ts save via USB. Can't really do anything via USB. Loud. Systems have had problems.

PS3 -

Positives - System rock solid and quiet. BluRay if you are into movies. Built in wireless. Free online play. USB and bluetooth as well as ease of changing HDD.
Negatives - Software lineup a joke for a system that's been out for this long. Online is clunky. I don't like the feel of the six axis at all. Will buy a third party one at some point.

Wii -

Positives - Innovative. FUN. Great for the entire family.
Negatives - Need more games. Sports games will be prettier on the other two consoles.

Knowing what I know now: Assuming I had money for one console RIGHT NOW, I'd go 360 if I were an FPS/Sports game fan, WII if I had a family. The PS3 simply doesn't have the software to compete yet. It will at some point, but I have no idea when that'll be.

Yeah, if I didn't have a 360, I would have broken a long time ago.

Basically, my dilemma with PS3 is I want the EE chip in there, but want to wait for a price drop. Unfortunately, those 2 demands are destined never to cross paths. I thought about the Sony deal that some folks are using, but we are about to buy a house, and I don't want to be opening a new line of credit that might hurt my credit score just to get a cheaper PS3.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-29-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #188
SackAttack
Head Coach

Had to return the PS3 to Sony. It wouldn't...well...do much of anything. Apparently it was a non-working unit that got returned by another outlet, and instead of getting sent to wherever they repair them, it got...sent to me.

¬¬

So it's gonna be a couple more days before I'm up and running. But hey, I'm fairly sure I have a PSN ID now. I just can't USE it yet.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #189
Kodos
Resident Alien

What morons!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #190
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Had to return the PS3 to Sony. It wouldn't...well...do much of anything. Apparently it was a non-working unit that got returned by another outlet, and instead of getting sent to wherever they repair them, it got...sent to me.

¬¬

So it's gonna be a couple more days before I'm up and running. But hey, I'm fairly sure I have a PSN ID now. I just can't USE it yet.

Ah, so maybe life isn't so charmed

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #191
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Ah, so maybe life isn't so charmed

SI

It's a struggle.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

¬¬

You get what you pay for. Free=not working.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New HD trailer with gameplay up for Unreal Tournament 3.........

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24261.html
Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
PS3 -

Negatives - Software lineup a joke for a system that's been out for this long.

I found this comment to be very intriguing. You do know that the 360 at the same point in its console life had roughly the same number of releases, right? If you think that it's brutal that companies don't have enough games ready for their release window and that's your point, then we agree.

Also, the Wii, which has been the console of choice for bad ports, only has 14 more titles than the PS3. For as many bad ports as the Wii has received, it still doesn't have many more titles than the PS3 which you mentioned to some extent.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-30-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This should produce some interesting discussion. Took some time to do some gaming research based on game scores on Metacritic.com. First the raw numbers on number of games in each system that fall in the given score ranges.......

Quote:
90-100:

PS3..........1 (2%)
360..........8 (3%)
Wii..........3 (4%)

80-89:

PS3..........22 (33%)
360..........53 (22%)
Wii..........5 (6%)

70-79:

PS3..........17 (26%)
360..........63 (27%)
Wii..........18 (23%)

60-69:

PS3..........14 (21%)
360..........63 (27%)
Wii..........24 (30%)

50-59:

PS3..........7 (11%)
360..........36 (15%)
Wii..........15 (19%)

40-49:

PS3..........3 (5%)
360..........10 (4%)
Wii..........8 (10%)

30-39:

PS3..........1 (2%)
360..........4 (2%)
Wii..........5 (6%)

20-29:

PS3..........0 (0%)
360..........0 (0%)
Wii..........1 (1%)

Some thoughts on those numbers using an assumption of 70 or higher as our line between solid games and the bad games:

-Looking at the percentages, the PS3 has 61% of it's games rated 70 or higher. The Xbox 360 has 52% of its games rated 70 or higher, which given the sheer quantity of 360 games available, is a very good number. The Wii has 33% of its games rated 70 or higher, which is absolutely stunning. That's basically saying that if you randomly pick a Wii game out of a bag of all games available for the Wii, there's a 2 in 3 chance that you're going to pull out a below average game or worse.

-Looking at the 'stinker' category (less than 50), the Wii stands out in a bad way as well. The 360 has 6% of its games that were under 50, while the PS3 came in at 7%. The Wii has an unbelievable 17% of its games that came in with a score of 49 or less. That's a lot of bad games for a system this early in its life.

My next thought was that the Wii proponents would quickly point to the exclusive titles on the Wii. After all, most of them purchase Nintendo consoles for the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other Nintendo properties. So I tried to isolate those figures by putting together a list of the exclusive titles for each console and averaging those scores......

Quote:
Average scores for exclusive titles:

PS3..........70%
360..........72%
Wii..........62%

The Wii exclusive average was WAY below the figures for the PS3 and 360. There's always going to be bad games on any given console, but the difference in scores between the Wii exclusives and the other two systems was obvious. The lack of good quality titles on the Wii extends to exclusives and is not just a issue due to bad ports from other systems.

Some interesting numbers to ponder. It will be interesting to see how they change over time.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #196
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I found this comment to be very intriguing. You do know that the 360 at the same point in its console life had roughly the same number of releases, right? If you think that it's brutal that companies don't have enough games ready for their release window and that's your point, then we agree.

Also, the Wii, which has been the console of choice for bad ports, only has 14 more titles than the PS3. For as many bad ports as the Wii has received, it still doesn't have many more titles than the PS3 which you mentioned to some extent.

I'm not only talking # of games, though that's some of it. I'm really talking about not a lot of GOOD games. A lot of the good, highly rated games out for it have been out for the 360 for a year before hand. (Oblivion for example) For a system to be out over a year and have one single A+++ title? Horrific. (BTW, I'm assuming that title is Resistence, which means the score is well worth it)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #197
TroyF
Coordinator

Some thoughts on your list above:

The first is a question. Did you remove the arcade games from the equation? A majority of the "dog" scores are going to arcade games for all systems. It's not really fair to be putting Missle Command in the same category as a $60 title.

1) Doesn't surprise me. Remember, the Wii was the surprise system. Nobody expected it to do as well as the others. The amount of bad games is staggering and it is something they need to fix, but it isn't the end all either.

3) The overall scores don't surprise me either. It goes in perfectly with what I was saying yesterday. The 360 has the same exact number of titles in the 6 and 7 range and only a slight decrease in the 8 range. Ditto for the PS3, which actually has more titles in the 8 range than the 7 or the 6. You see a monster drop at 5 for the PS3 and 360. My personal scale is more difficult than what is up there. For one, I think there are a hell of a lot more 5's for the 360 than that. I also think there are less 8's and 7's.

When you wipe out the arcade games, you'll see very few actual games are getting below a 6. You start going trhough the list and you see that there are some games that have no business with the scores they have. F.E.A.R. for the 360 with an 85? Are you kidding me? Table Tennis from Rockstar at an 81? I've played the game, I understand the physics were kind of cool. . . but an 81? 28 sites gave the game an 85 or above. 39 sites gave Call of Duty 3 for the 360 an 85 or above.

I'm sorry, that's insanity. The game was decent, but it wasn't a must buy, gotta have title. I just have a far different way I grade games than other people. 8/9/10 are reserved for the very, very best in my world.

It's why I read the text of the reviews instead of just looking at a score. Goes back to our conversation yesterday. The guy rates a game at 8.5 and then says it isn't worth the $40 he paid for it. Sorry, I'm sliding that score down for my use instantly. Just me.

BTW: IGN just did a review of Heavenly Sword and raked it over the coals pretty hard. Gave it a 70. Said it was repetitive and short. (though they liked the graphics) I hope to God they are wrong. I'm buying this on day one and do not want it to be that bad.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New info on the price drop earlier this week on Amazon UK. They're now sending out e-mails stating that the Folklore and Lair prices were a pricing mistake and that all orders will be cancelled. Guess that clears up that discussion.

PS3 Eye shipping date has been announced as October 23rd. It will be $59.99 and will be bundled with the 'Eye of Judgement' card game.

Several retailers are insisting that Lair will ship in the U.S. tomorrow (August 31st).
Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #199
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
New info on the price drop earlier this week on Amazon UK. They're now sending out e-mails stating that the Folklore and Lair prices were a pricing mistake and that all orders will be cancelled. Guess that clears up that discussion.

PS3 Eye shipping date has been announced as October 23rd. It will be $59.99 and will be bundled with the 'Eye of Judgement' card game.

Several retailers are insisting that Lair will ship in the U.S. tomorrow (August 31st).

Yes, it does clear it up. Thank God.

I'll continue to assert that a retailer who slashes a game over 50% before it's release is either:

1) insane
2) knows something the general public doesn't and hopes to create quick sales.

If it were $5 off or included in a PS3 package, I can understand it. Over 50%? Let's just say I don't think Amazon is insane. They know what their pricing means and if they truly slashed a price by that amount, there would have been a reason for it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Some thoughts on your list above:

The first is a question. Did you remove the arcade games from the equation? A majority of the "dog" scores are going to arcade games for all systems. It's not really fair to be putting Missle Command in the same category as a $60 title.

The arcade games for both the PS3 and 360 are included in the list. However, it doesn't really affect the overall rankings if you take them out. The overall rankings if you take them out is that the Wii ends up with roughly the same overall curve as far as scoring. The PS3 and 360 overall scoring curve actually increases if you take out the arcade scores, but they both end up having similar overall scores when compared to each other. So the end result of the data gathering is still the same.

To some extent, I think it's fair to leave the games in there. Many of the XBLA games scored in the 75-80 range, so they're certainly not dragging the 360's score down. Similarly, the PSN has several exclusive titles that should definitely be included. The change in score by excluding the arcade games is very minimal relative to the overall picture, but a good point to make just for clarification of the numbers.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-30-2007 at 08:34 AM.