Sly Croom resigns at Mississippi State.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #152
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Interesting. I wonder what's going to happen at now. Didn't he put together a Top 25 recruiting class so far?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #153
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Interesting. I wonder what's going to happen at now. Didn't he put together a Top 25 recruiting class so far?

Yeah, I don't know who the hell they think they're gonna get down there to do better than he has. I mean, that program was scorched earth. But I guess this is the year of firing coaches too early in the hopes of shuffling the deck, even if the cards remain the same.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #154
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Great, another coaching upgrade in the SEC coming.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

After seeing their numbers though and playing in the SEC, I'd have let him go too. But I just wonder who these schools think they're going to get. Especially at lower levels of major conferences. But...guess you gotta do something.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #156
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
After seeing their numbers though and playing in the SEC, I'd have let him go too. But I just wonder who these schools think they're going to get. Especially at lower levels of major conferences. But...guess you gotta do something.

Well, you hope to find lightening in the bottle, like Vandy did with Johnson. There aren't very many coaches that can do that, though.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #157
MJ4H
Coordinator

There are a lot of coaches in the country. You have to at least take a chance on someone that is unproven but shows promise rather than just keep banging your head against the wall with someone that isn't going to get it done.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #158
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well I said the same stuff about Wyoming. The coach there had to go too and he's a guy that's pretty much revered around the state. Good guy, but after seeing that play out -- and no one here has any illusions that the program will ever be more than a just over .500 team -- this made more sense. But I think it's reading fans of the team with illusions that the team will be anything other than a second-tier bowl squad.

Playing in that division in the SEC, I can't Mississippi State being anything but that.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Playing in that division in the SEC, I can't Mississippi State being anything but that.

But you have to hope that you can at least catch lightning in a bottle once a decade or so. Actually, you hope you catch it 2-3 times a decade but at least once would be the reasonable hope, I think you're just trying to make sure that you at least have someone on the sideline who is capable of making that happen.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #160
MJ4H
Coordinator

Fans that don't think their team can be better than they are don't deserve a team that is better than they are.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #161
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So I totally get UT fans not being thrilled about Kiffin, but I'm wondering who the fanbase was hoping for? Tuberville? Urban Meyer? Lou Holtz? John L. Smith?
Me. You're fired, by the way.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #162
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I would have liked to have seen Leach in particular, but I would have been fine with giving one of the many hot shot coordinators out there in college football a shot.

Instead, we're giving Lane a shot. The only problem I have with that is I have more wins as a head coach than he does. Seriously though, I'd like to think we can do better than a coach that is 5-15 in his career, NFL or not.

I'm not a big fan of the concept that he's 'going' to bring in Coaches X, Y, and Z, so that makes it a great hire. If that's the reasoning, why not give the job to Coach X, Y, or Z?

In the end, I'll cross my fingers, toes, and pray that Lane's a great coach for Tennessee. I won't be surprised, however, if it explodes on us.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But you have to hope that you can at least catch lightning in a bottle once a decade or so. Actually, you hope you catch it 2-3 times a decade but at least once would be the reasonable hope, I think you're just trying to make sure that you at least have someone on the sideline who is capable of making that happen.

I buy that argument.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from the espn.com article about Croom
Quote:
Among the coaches Mississippi State might target to replace Croom are Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables, East Carolina coach Skip Holtz and TCU coach Gary Patterson.

I won't claim any sort of expertise on the guy but just for thinking out loud I kind of like the fit of Patterson there, seems like a reasonable possibility.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #165
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
fI won't claim any sort of expertise on the guy but just for thinking out loud I kind of like the fit of Patterson there, seems like a reasonable possibility.
Patterson already turned down interviewing with Washington. I'm not sure if he'd view Mississippi State more favorably for some reason, but from my view, his chances of success would be greater at the UW than Mississippi State. But maybe there's a geographical component at play as well...

I get the sense that Patterson is pretty happy to stay at TCU, and it may take a really good situation elsewhere for him to leave. UW is not currently a good situation, and I don't see Mississippi State as being one either.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #166
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

A thought about the Wyoming job - in the course of checking out Brian Kelly's background, some Washington fans have noticed the phenomenal success that Chuck Martin has had following Kelly's departure. Martin has no playing or coaching experience at the FBS level, so it may be too much of a jump for Washington to take a look at Martin, but a school like Wyoming might be more willing to take that risk...
Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #167
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm not sure if I'm Patterson that I'd take either (Miss St or UW) job when I have a nice comfy TCU job.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Who knows how legit it is but a lot of smoke coming out of South Bend that Fat Cholly will be out and Brian Kelly will be in.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #169
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I'm not sure if I'm Patterson that I'd take either (Miss St or UW) job when I have a nice comfy TCU job.
Yep. Patterson can afford to wait for a better job opening.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #170
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
A thought about the Wyoming job - in the course of checking out Brian Kelly's background, some Washington fans have noticed the phenomenal success that Chuck Martin has had following Kelly's departure. Martin has no playing or coaching experience at the FBS level, so it may be too much of a jump for Washington to take a look at Martin, but a school like Wyoming might be more willing to take that risk...

Well we just fired a guy who won national titles at D-II and D-1AA and so, I don't believe they'll dip in that well again. Seems that the targets are coordinators at programs in the BCS like Missouri.

Wyoming won't pay much (last coach was making 300k) and while he's the highest paid guy in the state gov't, it'll limit the search to them looking at guys that no one else is...because I'm almost certain they'll get beat out for those types of folks and are simply being used by guys who want to be put on the head coaching radar a chance to be known.

Joe Glenn, had a hell of a relationship with the fans here. Folks genuinely loved the guy and were torn on letting him go. The problem is, Wyoming folks who are realists who know that the team won't be able to bring a hot shot here who'll stay, because it's just a stepping stone job.

Best case scenario is a young guy comes here and builds something like Hawkins and Co. did in Boise, then it won't matter who the coach is, so long as they believe in what they're selling.

But that's just not what things are like here...at least in football right now.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #171
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well we just fired a guy who won national titles at D-II and D-1AA and so, I don't believe they'll dip in that well again. Seems that the targets are coordinators at programs in the BCS like Missouri.

Wyoming won't pay much (last coach was making 300k) and while he's the highest paid guy in the state gov't, it'll limit the search to them looking at guys that no one else is...because I'm almost certain they'll get beat out for those types of folks and are simply being used by guys who want to be put on the head coaching radar a chance to be known.
Well, Martin is more successful than Glenn was, but I hear what you're saying.

If Wyoming is only paying $300K, their pool will be severely limited. I'd bet that Dave Christensen (OC at Mizzou) is already making that (or more). I know the OC and DC at Washington are making $350K. Even if Wyoming ups that to $500K or so, that's still a small bump up for most BCS coordinators.

Wyoming is in a tough spot - they probably don't have a lot of funds to throw at a football coach, and yet the more money they throw at a guy, the more likely they can land a better coach.

Given the financial constraints and the inherent difficulties in winning at Wyoming, I wonder if guys like Chuck Martin aren't their best bets.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #172
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm interested to see who takes over at EMU.

Lloyd Carr is helping with the search, and all signs point to one of his old assistants taking over.

Ron English or Scott Loefler would be good choices. Loefler is particularly intriguing because he is a young guy who has been QB coach for Tom Brady and Chad Henne, amongst others, but has no coordinator experience, let alone head coaching experience. He is a young guy to watch in the future though.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #173
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Pat Hill flew to Seattle today. Just what the UW needs - another coach that his current team's fans are sick and tired of.

Shoot me now.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #174
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumor is Monte Kiffin will be going to Knoxville with Lane. I can see why Jon and Ardent are meh about the hire, but there is a huge boom factor here.

While Lane hasn't recruited the South, he is bringing on Ed O, who is a beastly recruiter, who at Ole Miss set up a bunch of inroads in Memphis, where a bunch of talent can be unearthed. He is tireless, and the guy can coach. He basically is a DC in waiting for UT, so Monte can be there to get things started, and Ed can make it a seamless tranistion.

As long as the staff comes out as solid as it potentially could be, they will recruit as well as anyone in the SEC any given year. Now the question is can Lane make them players?

In Oakland, he did a lot with very little. He had a QB he didn't want, a swiss cheese OL and two injury prone RB's, along with no WR's, and still they looked like a somewhat competent offense, so the potential is there.

Who knows what happens, but I think this at worst, a safe pick that gets UT to where it was under Fulmer the last few years, with the potential to make them a power.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, Martin is more successful than Glenn was, but I hear what you're saying.

If Wyoming is only paying $300K, their pool will be severely limited. I'd bet that Dave Christensen (OC at Mizzou) is already making that (or more). I know the OC and DC at Washington are making $350K. Even if Wyoming ups that to $500K or so, that's still a small bump up for most BCS coordinators.

Wyoming is in a tough spot - they probably don't have a lot of funds to throw at a football coach, and yet the more money they throw at a guy, the more likely they can land a better coach.

Given the financial constraints and the inherent difficulties in winning at Wyoming, I wonder if guys like Chuck Martin aren't their best bets.

With incentives, apparently, Joe Glenn's salary could've been up to 450k. But yeah, UW just doesn't pay that much for a coach...and I doubt they're going to pony up big time this time, either.

Like I said, I doubt any BCS coordinator will come here as it's just not a good place to win. I think they're going to have to scrap the barrel or do something like you're suggesting -- a guy who clearly will take this as his dream job and only shot at 1-A football -- but I don't believe the pool is deep.

Candidates they've interviewed already include Missouri offensive coordinator Dave Christensen and Nebraska wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore. Gilmore played here and coached here early in his career, so...that's his tie. Christensen is unlike to be someone they can afford. Mike Van Diest is a former Wyoming coach and has won NAIA titles at Carroll College in Montana and would probably be a good fit, so long as they gave him as long as they gave Glenn to make it work. Gregg Brandon from Bowling Green has ties to the region and was just dismissed at Bowling Green, but left there with a winning record.

John L. Smith and Gary Barnett are apparently on the list, too. But people would outraged if Barnett got the job after letting Joe Glenn go.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #176
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

What about Bobby Hauck? Any mention of him as a candidate?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #177
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What about Bobby Hauck? Any mention of him as a candidate?

No. We just fired one Montana coach, I doubt they'd dip in the well to get another. I'm almost certain they want an assistant at a BCS program that's been successful and/or someone with ties to the state of Wyoming. Joe Glenn was a real ambassador for the program and the state and so, the fans are going to expect that or the next guy just isn't going to get the love that Glenn got. It's gonna be a hard guy to replace, despite his record...because he was just likable and this is a state where that'll get you far.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-29-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #178
cougarfreak
College Starter

I've heard from a fairly good source that Weis will be out at ND, Meyer has already told them not to come calling, and Brian Kelly is the only other name on the list. Wouldn't surprise me one bit after what he's done with UC the last couple of years.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #179
miami_fan
Coordinator

A question for those ND fans in the know. I keep reading reports that the main problem is not necessarily the W/L record, but his attitude. Evidently he has not played nice with most alumni and basically has walked around with flashing his Super Bowl rings as proof of his genius. Are ND fans hearing the same thing from more Irish-friendly sources?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #180
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
A question for those ND fans in the know. I keep reading reports that the main problem is not necessarily the W/L record, but his attitude. Evidently he has not played nice with most alumni and basically has walked around with flashing his Super Bowl rings as proof of his genius. Are ND fans hearing the same thing from more Irish-friendly sources?

I had heard that before (like last year) and that he is a pretty lazy recruiter.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #181
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Not that he'll get fired this year or next, but I think this season is the beginning of the end for Mark Richt at Georgia.

Preseason Number 1, he's gotten pummeled in the only three games that had any meaning. Forget the close final scores, there were long stretches of all three games when Georgia wasn't even competitive. For a pre #1, that is not acceptable.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #182
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Not that he'll get fired this year or next, but I think this season is the beginning of the end for Mark Richt at Georgia.

Preseason Number 1, he's gotten pummeled in the only three games that had any meaning. Forget the close final scores, there were long stretches of all three games when Georgia wasn't even competitive. For a pre #1, that is not acceptable.

Could be, but I think it is probably more the begining of the end for some of the coaching staff. There will be a reshuffle at the end of the season. But he has to have a couple pretty bad years, not just one under-achieving year, to be under real pressure.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #183
GrantDawg

And, just for the record, I don't even think this was an underachieving year in my book. We had some flashy players that got a lot of attention, but we were really weak on both sides of the line, and that is just not a team that will win awards. People closer to the program picked the Dawgs as third in the SEC in the preseason. Most of the hype was coming from the national media who only look at the stars and not the substance.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #184
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I can see why there are so many changes. OU had a much better week than Texas and lost votes.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #185
MrBug708
Head Coach

I skimmed this thread and didnt see mention of it but Brian Kelly supposedly talked with some UW AD folks about the position. I would imagine it's al ongshot but that would be a homerun hire for UW
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #186
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Mizzou OC Dave Christensen will be Wyomings next HC. Great hire if true.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #187
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sounds like Mizzou OC Dave Christensen will be Wyomings next HC. Great hire if true.

Laramie Boomerang - Laramie, Wyoming > Sports

Hmm...apparently, that might be true. But the Boomerang's nickname is the Boomerwrong, so...I dunno how true it might be. But it wouldn't be a surprise. Defense is always strong here, but offense is terrible annually, so this is probably a good way to fix that. And he was one of the first guy's mentioned and this AD is the sort of guy who usually knows who he wants and moves fast.

Given Christensen has been at Mizzou forever, seems that he sees this as his one chance to go somewhere and hang out as head coach if he does well.

Seems like a good choice, given how good Mizzou has been over the past few years.

Edit: Maybe not forever, but 8 years on a staff is a good thing. Better an older, experienced guy than a hot shot coordinator who leaves after 3 years.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-30-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #188
Poli
FOFC Survivor

St. Louis Post Dispatch is reporting it as well. Great hire, in my opinion. I wouldn't have been upset if he had landed at Tennessee.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, I have to think that yesterday's win over SC significantly lessens the chance that Fulmer will wind up at Clemson.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #190
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I skimmed this thread and didnt see mention of it but Brian Kelly supposedly talked with some UW AD folks about the position. I would imagine it's al ongshot but that would be a homerun hire for UW

Would be a great hire. Kelly is a guy I wanted at UM but the skeletons in his closet didn't even allow him a look. Lots of shady dealings at Central Michigan during that murder case involving two of his players. Not a Dave Bliss level of things, but still pretty bad stuff.

The word is Notre Dame wants him .. I dunno if that is a good fit because I am not sure how he'll do in the spotlight like that, but regardless, he can coach.

The only concern for UW is that would be another stepping stone job. Kelly wants to be at a school like Michigan or Notre Dame or some of the SEC schools.

He'd build his resume further then leave. It'd help UW in the process, but he isn't the kind of guy to wait around there for 5-6 years to compete for a NC.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #191
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
St. Louis Post Dispatch is reporting it as well. Great hire, in my opinion. I wouldn't have been upset if he had landed at Tennessee.

They're reporting it based on a report from the Boomerang.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #192
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola .. there is another potential opening though it's slim it happens, but South Carolina could see Spurrier retire. He seems beaten there, and the offense isn't ever going to click. Giving up play calling seems like a strong sign.

A name to watch if so is MSU HC Mark Dantonio, who played DB for the Cocks.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #193
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola - Sounds like Dabo Swinney will take over at Clemson .. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Seems like Bill Stewart at WVU to me, though Dabo has had more time to prove himself then Stewart did.

If I am Clemson I'd go through an interview process with several candidates and not go off the emotion of a win vs a down uSC.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #194
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have to think that yesterday's win over SC significantly lessens the chance that Fulmer will wind up at Clemson.

I think they stayed at pretty much 0%.

Its widely reported/speculated locally that Swinney will be named Monday or Tuesday.

There is a presser scheduled to "discuss the coaching search" tomorrow at 10AM. And two prominent athletic department employees have booked flight tomorrow afternoon to Illinois rather than fly with the team this evening for Tuesday's basketball game.

I know Troy Calhoun is high on TDP list, as is Brett Venerables (though I am not sure I agree with this assessment). But whether I like it or not (and Im undecided), I think Dabo is going to get a shot.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #195
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Would be a great hire. Kelly is a guy I wanted at UM but the skeletons in his closet didn't even allow him a look. Lots of shady dealings at Central Michigan during that murder case involving two of his players. Not a Dave Bliss level of things, but still pretty bad stuff.

The word is Notre Dame wants him .. I dunno if that is a good fit because I am not sure how he'll do in the spotlight like that, but regardless, he can coach.

The only concern for UW is that would be another stepping stone job. Kelly wants to be at a school like Michigan or Notre Dame or some of the SEC schools.

He'd build his resume further then leave. It'd help UW in the process, but he isn't the kind of guy to wait around there for 5-6 years to compete for a NC.
He'd be a fantastic hire for the Huskies. Even if he uses it as a stepping-stone, he'll probably need at least 3 seasons to show that he's got the UW going in the right direction, and while it would suck to have to do another coaching search so fast, he'd leave the program in much better shape for the next search.

The latest I've been hearing about the UW job is this:
- Pat Hill's interview yesterday went well, but he wasn't offered the job;
- The UW has talked with Kelly at least twice already; not sure if these were official interviews or just inquiring about his level of interest;
- The UW has also contacted Mike Leach, who told them he wanted to wait until after his regular season before discussing any possible interest in the job;
- Rumors persist that Mora is still in play; some say he's already agreed and the announcement is on hold until the UW finishes their season; some say he's considering an offer and has to the end of this weekend to decide before the UW moves on in another direction (Kelly, Leach, etc)

The obvious wild card for Brian Kelly is whether Notre Dame fires Weis. Hard to imagine Kelly turns down the Notre Dame job if it's offered. If Weis is kept - and there are reasons to do so - then it probably comes down to Washington, Syracuse and staying at Cincinnati another year.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #196
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
He'd be a fantastic hire for the Huskies. Even if he uses it as a stepping-stone, he'll probably need at least 3 seasons to show that he's got the UW going in the right direction, and while it would suck to have to do another coaching search so fast, he'd leave the program in much better shape for the next search.

The latest I've been hearing about the UW job is this:
- Pat Hill's interview yesterday went well, but he wasn't offered the job;
- The UW has talked with Kelly at least twice already; not sure if these were official interviews or just inquiring about his level of interest;
- The UW has also contacted Mike Leach, who told them he wanted to wait until after his regular season before discussing any possible interest in the job;
- Rumors persist that Mora is still in play; some say he's already agreed and the announcement is on hold until the UW finishes their season; some say he's considering an offer and has to the end of this weekend to decide before the UW moves on in another direction (Kelly, Leach, etc)

The obvious wild card for Brian Kelly is whether Notre Dame fires Weis. Hard to imagine Kelly turns down the Notre Dame job if it's offered. If Weis is kept - and there are reasons to do so - then it probably comes down to Washington, Syracuse and staying at Cincinnati another year.

UW seems perfect for Kelly. They want to win, and they can attract elite talent, but they're out of the spotlight enough for Kelly to do his thing. He'd stay there 3-5 years, unless they all of a sudden become a legit #2 in the Pac 10 which could happen. Then from there who knows.

I'd love it though.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #197
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't see Kelly leaving for UW.

I think UW would be a step up for him, but I think he has Cincy moving in the right direction and, more importantly, he has no recruiting ties in traditional Pac-10 territories. If UW is a stepping stone job, it would be a fairly risky one for him when you factor in the momentum he currently has and how long it might take for him to adjust to a completely new (non Midwest) environment.

I think he'd be a great fit for Notre Dame and would win immediately with Weis's talent. He is a great gameday coach and ND has good players. I think Michigan State or Iowa would be nice fits, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #198
timmynausea
College Starter

Cincy is losing 10 starters on defense after this year, so I'd be surprised if Kelly stuck around. It'll be interesting to see what he does if ND doesn't open up, though.

Last edited by timmynausea : 11-30-2008 at 04:31 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Depending upon how you read it, where the inflection is, etc., I couldn't help but chuckle at this quote from Fulmer.

Quote:
"[Tennessee] is a very special place and it would take a special place for me to go to, but being unemployed right now, I'm interested in those kinds of jobs because that's a special place," Fulmer said of Clemson.

I'm pretty sure what he was trying to say but the first time I read it, I'd have sworn he was saying that pretty much anywhere with a vacancy was a special place under his circumstances.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-30-2008 at 07:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #200
st.cronin
General Manager

Joe DeForest, assistant head coach at Oklahoma State, is linked to the New Mexico gig.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote