Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I had no idea until last night that fouls without the ball could be sent to the line like that when they're over the limit. I was baffled by how incredibly stupid that rule is.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #102
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not downplaying anyones mental illness, but a guy who doesn't play because he won't get on an airplane should keep his mouth shut.

2013 NBA Playoffs -- Royce White taunts Kevin Durant and Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #103
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I hate both teams but I'll be very interested to see the JR Smith and K-Mart reception in Boston Friday since they came up with the all-black clothing for game five because it was going to be a "Boston funeral".

Probably the wrong city to use that terminology for right now.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #104
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm not downplaying anyones mental illness, but a guy who doesn't play because he won't get on an airplane should keep his mouth shut.

2013 NBA Playoffs -- Royce White taunts Kevin Durant and Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN

Also not smart to taunt someone who can drop 50 on you.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #105
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Also not smart to taunt someone who can drop 50 on you.
Somebody should have told Jordan Crawford that. Should be a physical Game 6 in Boston.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #106
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

David Lee playing.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
David Lee playing.

WTF??!?! How???
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #108
kingfc22
Head Coach

Moving screen my ass.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #109
kingfc22
Head Coach

Steph Curry is such an amazing shooter.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #110
Groundhog
Coordinator

Iggy doing all he can, although the Warriors are also doing all they can to give it away...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #111
Groundhog
Coordinator

Best series of the round.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #112
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was some awful basketball by the Warriors near the end, and some great opportunistic defense by the Nuggets.

A win is a win is a win. Way to be Warriors, way to get to the second round.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #113
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah Warriors fell to pieces. Very lucky they aren't playing a game 7 in Denver.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #114
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The last 5 minutes of that game looked like a deer in headlights moment, but glad for the Warriors. That being said, San Antonio's efficiency is going to clean their clock, no?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
WTF??!?! How???

Based on our discussions, I am guessing that D. Rose gets absolutely hammered tomorrow.

On a similar note, I still am not convinced that Westbrook is out for the season
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lifelong Nets fan, but I have crazy respect for my fellow Husky Nate Robinson playing through the flu last night. I hope Derrick Rose realizes what a bitch he is when he sees Nate puking in a bucket 3 feet away during timeouts while he sits on the bench in a suit.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #117
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Based on our discussions, I am guessing that D. Rose gets absolutely hammered tomorrow.

If Rose isn't already getting hammered in the city where Jordan reigned, he's not going to be.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If Rose isn't already getting hammered in the city where Jordan reigned, he's not going to be.

I was listening to sports talk on the way to work today and he was getting hammered.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #119
whomario
Pro Starter

So, Andrew Bogut 14/21 , 3 assists, 4 blocks.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #120
korme
Go Reds

Neuqua's Facebook post last night was awesome, from a Chicago fan's perspective especially:

"Taj sick, playing. Deng and Nate starting despite the flu. Noah starting despite plantar faschiatis.

And Derrick doing windmill jams in practice."
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #121
RainMaker
General Manager

Luol didn't play last night. Although he was at the ER yesterday and today as they thought he might of had viral meningitis. Guy had a spinal tap done. He wants to play tomorrow.

Luol has also played the last year and a half with a torn ligament in his wrist.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #122
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm sure Rose is a really popular guy in that Bulls locker room right now.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #123
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The guy's injured. Are we really going to play internet nerd telling a pro-athelete when his knee feels right? This is the worst habit of sports fans, and its kind of depressing.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #124
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
The guy's injured. Are we really going to play internet nerd telling a pro-athelete when his knee feels right? This is the worst habit of sports fans, and its kind of depressing.

If he's injured, sure, but he's been medically cleared and the reports seem to suggest that it's more about confidence, feeling comfortable, and "muscle memory", and that he's been going full speed in practices for months. We can't be him and know what the deal is, true, but it's definitely been an unusual recovery for a pro athlete, based on what we know. I mean, what if he takes off next season too? There's got a be a line somewhere.

Last edited by molson : 05-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #125
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If he's injured, sure, but he's been medically cleared and the reports seem to suggest that it's more about confidence, feeling comfortable, and "muscle memory", and that he's been going full speed in practices for months. We can't be him and know what the deal is, true, but it's definitely been an unusual "recovery" for a pro athlete, based on what we know.

But really, this is an area we have any frigging knowledge to speak on? How a guy's knee feels? Cmon - this isn't "X should start over Y" - this is "From my couch, I'm saying player X is a giant pussy etc etc etc based on an injury that I think is fine". That's borderline repulsive to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Seriously?

He has been cleared to play by doctors for over a month. Preston Shumpert had virtually the same injury on the same day and was back 3 months ago.

Don't act like we are all speculating, he was cleared by doctors, what more does he need? At some point he needs to get out on the court and stop being a little bitch.

You think Kobe wouldn't be out there the SECOND doctors cleared him? LeBron? KG?

Whats holding him back?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #127
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Preston Shumpert had virtually the same injury on the same day and was back 3 months ago.

You got me excited for a second there that former Syracuse player Preston Shumpert somehow made his NBA debut more than 10 years after leaving school and that I hadn't heard about it. But no, sadly, Preston is still in Turkey, you meant Iman.

Last edited by molson : 05-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #128
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Stop the players can do wrong and everyone is just out to persecute them act.

I don't give a shit one way or another whether Rose plays or not, but he's been cleared for over a month and practicing with the team for longer than that. You see guys out there playing through injuries that are going to require surgery and you have a guy that bragged about being ahead of schedule on his rehab up until it got close to being time to suit up, is dunking off of both feet in practice (the measure he himself said would be when he was ready), and more than 12 months after the injury he just keeps pushing the bar back for when he'll return.

You really think that doesn't have guys in the locker room pissed?
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #129
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously?

He has been cleared to play by doctors for over a month. Preston Shumpert had virtually the same injury on the same day and was back 3 months ago.

Don't act like we are all speculating, he was cleared by doctors, what more does he need? At some point he needs to get out on the court and stop being a little bitch.

You think Kobe wouldn't be out there the SECOND doctors cleared him? LeBron? KG?

Whats holding him back?

A little bitch? Seriously, you actually think like this? Your ass on the couch is accusing a pro-athlete of this? How the hell are you qualified to judge someone's fitness level / knee injury /torn ACL? Medical clearance does not mean fitness - unless you're now inside his head? Do you realize this is like the walking stereotype of PFTCommentator - PFTCommenter (PFTCommenter) on Twitter

I have no clue whatsoever how healthy Rose is, but my belief is simply that I don't know - the guy is the only one who can make that call, not you or anyone else.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-03-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #130
nol
Banned

It's gotta be tough for Rose. I think he understands that even if his knee is close to 100%, he's too rusty to be that much of a difference-maker. No matter how hard he's been practicing, going from practice to a Game 7 atmosphere is enormous. But at this point, the deck is so stacked against the Bulls that you'd figure it's at least worth a shot. If he plays well and/or the Bulls win, think of how much that adds to his legend. If he struggles out there and they lose, that would at least quiet the people doubting the severity of his injury.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
A little bitch? Seriously, you actually think like this? Your ass on the couch is accusing a pro-athlete of this? How the hell are you qualified to judge someone's fitness level / knee injury /torn ACL? Medical clearance does not mean fitness - unless you're now inside his head? Do you realize this is like the walking stereotype of PFTCommentator - PFTCommenter (PFTCommenter) on Twitter

I have no clue whatsoever how healthy Rose is, but my belief is simply that I don't know - the guy is the only one who can make that call, not you or anyone else.

I can only base my opinion on the facts. He is stealing millions from the Bulls sitting on the bench in a suit while he could be playing but is too afraid to. What does me sitting on a couch have anything to do with it? He has been cleared to play and for whatever reason isn't while he has teammates playing sick and hurt.

That makes him a little bitch to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A little bitch? Seriously, you actually think like this? Your ass on the couch is accusing a pro-athlete of this? How the hell are you qualified to judge someone's fitness level / knee injury /torn ACL? Medical clearance does not mean fitness - unless you're now inside his head?

Do you realize this is like the walking stereotype of PFTCommentator - PFTCommenter (PFTCommenter) on Twitter

This is lazy thinking. The "we can't do what they do, so we aren't able to judge or have an opinion." Bull.

You make judgments about baseball players all the time, despite the fact you probably can't hit a 60 mph fastball down the middle, much less a 90 mph two-seamer with movement.

The facts about Rose's situation are out there, and no one is really disputing them. It's Rose's call when he feels ready. We can't make that call for him.

But unless you're for the removal of all discussion of pro sports by anyone at all except the athletes themselves, I can't see you fairly arguing that we can't have the reasonable opinion that Rose is being extremely slow in coming back from this injury, especially in comparison to most other athletes with the same injury.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #133
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can only base my opinion on the facts. He is stealing millions from the Bulls sitting on the bench in a suit while he could be playing but is too afraid to. What does me sitting on a couch have anything to do with it? He has been cleared to play and for whatever reason isn't while he has teammates playing sick and hurt.

That makes him a little bitch to me.

On what facts? Medical clearance != fitness. Are you in his head, do you know how his knee feels? If not, you're full of shit. He's "stealing" from the Bulls is the dumbest shit I've read here in a while. You, have some magical insight to judge what pain or fitness threshold he can play at vs. Deng vs. Noah?

Also, for what its worth, his teammates and his coach say as much, but of course, you know better.

Chicago Bulls News: Players, teammates strongly defend Derrick Rose. - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
“There is a big difference between the type of injury that he has had and all these other injuries,” Thibodeau said. “And we certainly appreciate what all the other guys are doing, but Derrick has had a very serious injury. It requires time. He’s 24 years old. We’re not going to rush him back.

“When he’s completely comfortable, that’s when we want him out there. If that means we wait another game, if that means we wait until next year, so be it. We want him completely comfortable and we’re not going to make that mistake.

“Derrick owes it to do what’s right and the more I’m around him, the more I’m impressed with this guy’s character. He’s not being swayed by anybody. I would never question him, ever.”
Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The doctors can't actually be Rose, but surely you believe they know something about medicine right? They examined Rose, and they medically cleared him to play.

He's doing windmill dunks in practice (as noted above).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #135
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This is lazy thinking. The "we can't do what they do, so we aren't able to judge or have an opinion." Bull.

You make judgments about baseball players all the time, despite the fact you probably can't hit a 60 mph fastball down the middle, much less a 90 mph two-seamer with movement.

The facts about Rose's situation are out there, and no one is really disputing them. It's Rose's call when he feels ready. We can't make that call for him.

But unless you're for the removal of all discussion of pro sports by anyone at all except the athletes themselves, I can't see you fairly arguing that we can't have the reasonable opinion that Rose is being extremely slow in coming back from this injury, especially in comparison to most other athletes with the same injury.

No, my arguement is that skill and performance is absolutely fair game to judge - that's the nature of sports, and you can view performance out in the field / court / rink whatever - FOFC wouldn't exist if we didn't debate that. If Nate Robinson says he's the best basketball player on the planet, we can laugh at that - that's judging performance.

Injuries are fundamentally different - you cannot tell how hurt someone is or what their pain threshold is, and pretending you can is silly. If a player says he is hurt, I will always take him at his word - we simply do not have the ability to judge otherwise.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #136
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I find it interesting they use the word comfortable versus healthy.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #137
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I find it interesting they use the word comfortable versus healthy.

I think it's also interesting that they haven't shut him down and have allowed this to become an ongoing issue for months. It's like they want there to be heat on him, maybe to try to convince him to change his mind about playing this year.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The players defending Rose aren't stupid. They know if they speak against him it will blow up even worse.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #139
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The players defending Rose aren't stupid. They know if they speak against him it will blow up even worse.

So in other words, you now know better than the player who is injured, and his team, and his coach on the extent of his injury and whether he can play or not. Just making sure I'm getting this tout de force of logic correct.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #140
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So in other words, you now know better than the player who is injured, and his team, and his coach on the extent of his injury and whether he can play or not. Just making sure I'm getting this tout de force of logic correct.

People aren't claiming they "know better", they're just deferring to the conclusions of the team doctors here, and Rose's own statements that indicate that this is a mental issue rather than a physical one. If the doctors, team, and Rose were all in agreement and Rose got shut down months ago, nobody would be saying anything. It's the tension among those various parties that makes this a pretty unusual athlete injury situation.

Last edited by molson : 05-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #141
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He has been playing 5-on-5 in practice with the Bulls since Feb 18. If you are too injured to play you should be too injured to participate in 5-on-5 practice drills. You are preventing someone who can play from getting practice they will need when they enter the game, unlike yourself.

No one says he has to go out there and score 50 points to save the team. If he doesn't have the "muscle memory" to pass and run an offense better than Marquis Teague and Daequan Cook then he should have been shut down a long time ago.

The problem with Rose is that if he isn't shooting and doing jump steps then he doesn't think he is "right". It's not muscle memory, it's ego on steroids at that point. He will probably never put team over himself.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You are doing a good job of being absurd and trying really hard to put words in people's mouths to try and deflect from the fact that no one agrees with you.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #143
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He's been cleared for over a month. He's going full speed at practice and doing dunks. The issue isn't is he injured. It's is he mentally ready to come back? Lets say you get injured at work and take the time to recover. You get an OK from your doctor, but you decide to wait until you are ready. Over a month later a co-worker sees you playing hoop on the weekend and dunking the ball. How happy is your employer with you?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #144
Galaril
Pro Starter

Damn Celtics have no offense. 4 minutes left in the first half and only have 18 points wow?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #145
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Damn Celtics have no offense. 4 minutes left in the first half and only have 18 points wow?

No one playing early does. The Pacers 37 might be the high half time score in the early games.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #146
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

this game is ugly
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #147
Groundhog
Coordinator

Why am I still watching this.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #148
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

You obviously have some kind of problem. If you feel you need to talk about it, this is a safe place.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I dunno - I heard the score and never even bothered turning it on. I don't want my last memories of Pierce/Garnett to be this.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #150
RainMaker
General Manager

The Rose thing wouldn't be as big if his manager had not come out earlier in the year and said that health wasn't the only factor in return. It would be up to whether the team had enough talent for him to grace them with his presence. So when his manager says that, it's fair to question his motivations.

If Rose returns next November, it'll have taken him 18 months to return. It took Shaun Livingston 20 months and he was close to having his leg amputated. At this stage Adrian Peterson was finishing off a historic season and had a much worse injury than Rose.

I had the same exact injury Rose had (although more meniscus damage) and there is absolutely no way that you aren't at full health by the 12 month mark. If you aren't, it means you just didn't his your rehab hard enough. If his "muscle memory" is off, I have to ask what he's been doing the last 6 months.