Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #101
miked
College Starter

If you told me we would have given up 21 points at the half, I'd believe it. If you told me would have 31, I'd have slapped yo mama. And to think 7 of their points came from a fumbled snap on our own 3. Usually, Schiano teams come out flat in the 2nd half, I hope RU can stay on the gas.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #102
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Wow, Illinois just got screwed. Penn State got a gift call of an interception when the DB ripped the ball away from the WR...even though both were already on the ground.

I agree. Cant they challenge calls in college? I thought they could. If they can, thats typical Ron Zook stupidity.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #103
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
If you told me we would have given up 21 points at the half, I'd believe it. If you told me would have 31, I'd have slapped yo mama. And to think 7 of their points came from a fumbled snap on our own 3. Usually, Schiano teams come out flat in the 2nd half, I hope RU can stay on the gas.

This. I'm impressed with the offensive production thus far. Hope they send WVU off to the Big 12 with a loss.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #104
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wow, Illinois just got screwed. Penn State got a gift call of an interception when the DB ripped the ball away from the WR...even though both were already on the ground.

I was just about to post that whoever scores first might just win that game. A TO might just do it.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #105
tarcone
Coordinator

Minnesota cant stop Coker. He is ripping off 7 yard gains at will.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #106
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I agree. Cant they challenge calls in college? I thought they could. If they can, thats typical Ron Zook stupidity.

I don't think college coaches can request a review, however, the big mistake Zook made is that he should've called a timeout when the PSU offense was running out onto the field.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #107
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Minnesota cant stop Coker. He is ripping off 7 yard gains at will.

I think Kill's health issues really derailed Minnesota this year. They almost went to USC and pulled off an upset, but since then they have been godawful.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #108
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

WVU has really turned it on in the 2nd half many times in the past few years, but I'm not sure if they can do that with this amount of inexperience/problems on defense. They sure didn't bounce back after the half last week against Syracuse.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #109
RedKingGold
College Starter

The other funny thing about that call is that the ref's didn't automatically ruled it a pick, they listened to four PSU players screaming about it, then decided to make the call.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #110
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
WVU has really turned it on in the 2nd half many times in the past few years, but I'm not sure if they can do that with this amount of inexperience/problems on defense. They sure didn't bounce back after the half last week against Syracuse.

Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me to see the offense put up 30+ in the second half, but unless Rutgers trips themselves up often, our defense can't stop anything right now.

If I were Rutgers, I'd just throw at Pat Miller for the rest of the game -- he cannot seem to defend a receiver without pawing up them up.

Realistically, WVU had two fluky offensive TDs, otherwise WVU should probably only have 7 points (on the Rutgers turnover, which they gave right back).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #111
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
This. I'm impressed with the offensive production thus far. Hope they send WVU off to the Big 12 with a loss.
Most points Rutgers has ever scored against WVU, well in regulation.
And my DirecTV picks a fitting time to die.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Short of running out of the back of the end zone Florida did everything they could to try to give Georgia a safety right there. If you're going to call awful plays b2b, inside your own 5 yd line isn't really the place to do it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #113
tarcone
Coordinator

Coker at 31 rushes for 245 yards and 2 TDs at the start of the 4th. Iowa leads 21-10. Still worried.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #114
miked
College Starter

That is why Gino is overrated. Half of his passes are just blind chucks. There he threw one up into double coverage in the back of the endzone and his WR makes a circus catch.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #115
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Didn't I say KST was going to get a whoopin today?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #116
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa about to fall behind. Minne has the ball 1st and goal on our 2 down 21-16. 3 minutes left in the game.

Last edited by tarcone : 10-29-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #117
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa behind now. Losing to Iowa State and Minnesota in the same season makes me very ill.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #118
tarcone
Coordinator

Michigan is going to beat Iowa by 50 next week.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #119
RedKingGold
College Starter

Woo! Penn State with the win! Can't believe this team is 8-1 with that offense, and particularly those two quarterbacks.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #120
RedKingGold
College Starter

Geez, if (big if), but if Wisconsin loses tonight, PSU will have a two game lead in the division with three games left.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #121
Comey
College Starter

This PSU team is the worst 8-1 team I've ever seen. I love 'em to death (they have a Jeff Garcia-led Eagles aura about them), but damn, they are so painful to watch.

I fear we just saw the last good memory we'll have of this team, given their schedule coming up.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #123
miked
College Starter

We'd be tied right now if our overcoaching coach didn't try a fake FG with a 25 yd chip shot.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #124
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
This PSU team is the worst 8-1 team I've ever seen. I love 'em to death (they have a Jeff Garcia-led Eagles aura about them), but damn, they are so painful to watch.

I fear we just saw the last good memory we'll have of this team, given their schedule coming up.

Maybe, but that defense is good enough to keep them in most games. I agree about the schedule though, still, I'd take 9-3 at this point (or even 8-4).
Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

CMR outcoached Muschamp today.

There may not have been any solution for Florida at QB honest -- they're just in a world of hurt there -- but punting on 4th & 2 + going for it on 4th & 10, Muschamp did the Gators no favors today.

edit to add: And this was most likely the best playcalling day of OC Mike Bobo's much maligned (fairly) career. The offensive woes of UGA rest on the shouldes of the players today, not on the playcalling.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #127
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
We'd be tied right now if our overcoaching coach didn't try a fake FG with a 25 yd chip shot.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Anyway, I didn't have a problem with that playcall there.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #128
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I don't think college coaches can request a review, however, the big mistake Zook made is that he should've called a timeout when the PSU offense was running out onto the field.

College coaches do get 1 challenge per game.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #129
miked
College Starter

Typical Schiano game. Jump out to a lead only to come out in the 2nd half flat and outcoached. Joe's Crab Shack Bowl, here we come!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #130
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
That is why Gino is overrated. Half of his passes are just blind chucks. There he threw one up into double coverage in the back of the endzone and his WR makes a circus catch.

If that was true, I doubt he would have a 44 TD to 12 INT ratio over the past two seasons. Still not sure why you keep calling him overrated. I haven't heard anyone put him in Heisman consideration (other than darkhorse lists with 20 names on them) or anything beyond All-Big East, which is basically a coin flip call between him and Collaros because the other QBs are pretty unimpressive. He has very good numbers and WVU has something like a 15-6 record with him as the starter, which isn't amazing but is pretty damn good.

He's lacking in some areas (holds on to the ball too long under pressure and doesn't tuck/run for first downs nearly enough), but he is probably the second best passing QB WVU has had in my lifetime (behind Bulger) and he is a true JR.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #131
Atocep
Coordinator

Considering the weather out there today I won't complain too much about how we played. Any win in that mess is a good one in my opinion.

Our defense has to get better quick though. Pat Miller is the same player he was as a true freshman and it's frustrating to watch. Our defensive line gets pushed around quite a bit. Julian Miller is the only player up front that we're getting consistency from. We're slow and lack talent right now at linebacker. Jewone Snow has been solid considering he's a freshaman, Vance wouldn't be on the field if we had depth, Goode is ok but would be better as a backup, and Rigg is ok but slow.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #132
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Woo! Penn State with the win! Can't believe this team is 8-1 with that offense, and particularly those two quarterbacks.

Odd to think they have the second most points 'Bama has given up all year so far. Granted, it is still only 11 points.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #134
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Liberty beats Presbyterian 27-20 in 2OT. Just an awful game that they should have lost. Mike Brown, the Big South player of the year two times in a row, continues to be the worst part of the offense. 2 more INTs today, 2 fumbles that weren't lost, a myriad of missed wide open receivers, and a 3rd INT that was wrestled away for the winning TD catch in the end zone.

Good thing they won because Stony Brook walloped Coastal Carolina 42-0 today. They had to travel to Stony Brook and then play in what I assume was horrible weather-especially given that it was just 80 degrees here this past week-I just can't imagine them being prepared to play in 30 degree weather with snow/rain/wind on top of that. Coastal's starting QB went 5 for 9 attempts for 13 yards...yep that's for the whole game. And Stony Brook's QB topped that going an unbelievable 0/6 for 0 yards. Stony Brook was able to run the ball at least-a whopping 446 total yards to Coastal's 60 yards on 42 carries.

I really think this might be the beginning of the end for Coach Bennett-the only coach Coastal has had. The last three weeks were just awful and his "homespun spiritual" way of coaching is wearing very thin with his players I think.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #136
RedKingGold
College Starter

After watching the slop-fest that was PSU-Illinois, it's very refreshing to watch USC-Stanford with two high-level quarterbacks playing.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #138
Izulde
Head Coach

Well I'll be damned. UNLV wins its second game of the year. Granted, it was Colorado State, but still. It still doesn't feel like Hauck is the right guy to build the program up, even with his 1-AA success at Montana.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #139
Radii
Head Coach

Holy crap what a first half in Atlanta! Its not over by a long shot but what a great half from Georgia Tech, 24-3!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #140
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I disagree, I think it's absolutely over.
Kevin Steele is back to 2009 with no clue how to stop gt.....Clemson simply can't win this way.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #141
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just turned to the RU-WVU game on espn3, amazed to see RU up by 10 and the weather looks awesome! Wish I was there, go RU!

No...no you don't. Still freezing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #142
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I have a sneaky suspicion CPJ on sides it to start the 2nd half.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #143
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just turned on Stanford game in time to see them post back-to-back TDs and retake lead 24-20. Luck was fantastic on both drives, with stuff like a 60 yard pass on trick play and sneaky QB draw near goal line.

Also kind of fun to see Stanford line up in jumbo set and run into teeth of all the 4*/5* USC guys on critical 4th and 1 play.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #144
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Stanford and USC is blacked out for me on ESPN3. ESPN failing at the whole internet thing.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now we'll see whether:
1 quarter of Clemson being 2012 Clemson & GT being 2012 GT
is stronger than
3 quarters of Clemson being bad Clemson & GT being reasonably effective
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #146
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Geez, if (big if), but if Wisconsin loses tonight, PSU will have a two game lead in the division with three games left.

Looks like PSU will indeed be having the easiest path to the Big Ten Title Game.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We've secretly put Tevin Washington back in his jersey, having replaced him with an actual D1 QB for the first half. Let's see if anyone notices.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #148
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Looks like PSU will indeed be having the easiest path to the Big Ten Title Game.

They have to play NU, @OSU, and @Wisconsin. I wouldn't call that exactly easy.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #149
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We've secretly put Tevin Washington back in his jersey, having replaced him with an actual D1 QB for the first half. Let's see if anyone notices.

no one will notice if they just stop throwing and run clock like Ga Tech can do better than almost anyone.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
no one will notice if they just stop throwing and run clock like Ga Tech can do better than almost anyone.

Yeah, I don't see another pass coming here ... except with CPJ calling plays, well, one never knows.