Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I am excited to hear West Virginia mentioned in the same breath as college basketball super-powers Missouri and Memphis. We have arrived on the main stage now!

You'll have to talk to the Memphis fans. I have no clue how Missouri got included in the discussion. Mizzou fans are smart enough to know they're not an elite program at this point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They don't carry the status that a program like Mizzou carries , whether you choose to believe it or not.

Je. Ses. Christ.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #103
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You guys crack me up. Really, you do.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #104
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
After a week of their fans being sure they'd wind up with Tubby Smith, Virginia hires Tony Bennett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It'll be interesting to see how his style does in the ACC and how annoyed fans get watching their teams play Virginia.

yeah, his teams are hard to watch
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #105
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

reading this thread is like watching Cartman poke a bear in the eye with a stick.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #106
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tubby might retire in Minny. I mean, why leave? No pressure and incremental chances at making it work for you.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #107
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
After a week of their fans being sure they'd wind up with Tubby Smith, Virginia hires Tony Bennett.

Ms.path (A WSU alum) is crushed. She LOVES Tony Bennett.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #108
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
reading this thread is like watching Cartman poke a bear in the eye with a stick.

I have nothing but love in my heart for the California Golden Bears, Montana Grizzlies, Baylor Bears, UCLA Bruins, et. al.

Johnny-come-lately Tiggers on the other hand...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-30-2009 at 06:14 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A quick look at a couple of threads around the Charlottesville newspaper site has them calling for Craig Littlepage's head for what a couple described as "Leitao part two". Another poster seemed to sum up what most of them were saying, "we didn't strike out on this hire, we never even tried to come up to bat".
Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A quick look at a couple of threads around the Charlottesville newspaper site has them calling for Craig Littlepage's head for what a couple described as "Leitao part two". Another poster seemed to sum up what most of them were saying, "we didn't strike out on this hire, we never even tried to come up to bat".

Yeah, it seems like a particularly strange hire at best.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #111
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how his style does in the ACC and how annoyed fans get watching their teams play Virginia.

We sort of know the answer to these questions already:

Herb Sendek191-132.5911997-06
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #112
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

There was a time when I was extremely angry that Depaul let Leitao go.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #113
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Ms.path (A WSU alum) is crushed. She LOVES Tony Bennett.
It's like a kick in the frakking stomach.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #114
MrBug708
Head Coach

Two thoughts.

I've given GE a lot of grief over Memphis, but Missouri's greatest NCAA claim to fame was Tyus Edney going coast to coast in the Round of 32.

As for WSU fans, every other coach has left, what made Tony Bennett any different?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #115
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As for WSU fans, every other coach has left, what made Tony Bennett any different?
Not a WSU fan, but the son of one. What makes you think previous WSU coaching departures haven't been kicks in the stomach too? In fact, it's that history that lends extra oomph to this - it's history (in a bad way) repeating itself for WSU.

Add in the fact that Bennett had said all the right things over the last 2 years about wanting to stay at WSU long term and build a lasting program, and it really stings for WSU fans.

And what really hurts is the suddenness and the timing - had he left after last year, at least he would've left WSU in a better position. It was expected, and the national perception of WSU basketball was higher than it is now.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #116
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola -

What's interesting is seeing the wildly different reactions between the WSU fans and the Virgina fans. WSU fans are pissed and upset that Bennett is leaving, and Virginia fans are pissed and upset that Bennett was the guy hired.

Note to Virginia fans - Tony Bennett is a hell of a coach, and you guys are delusional if you think your program is so good you could've gotten and even higher profile coach.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #117
MrBug708
Head Coach

Perhaps, but what is the coach supposed to say? Ben Howland told media that he was the coach of Pitt and was looking forward to building up the team. Week later, he is at UCLA. I figured Arizona would have been a better spot for Bennett anyhow. I can understand Bennett turning down Indiana, but he also turned down Marquette and LSU. LSU is probably equal to Virginia in prestige these days, but Virginia is like 6th in the pecking order in the ACC.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm with Bug. I have given GE a ton of grief. But Mizzou B-Ball is off his rocker fighting this fight. There is NO question which program has been more elite, even given that neither is up to par with the UNCs, UCLAs, UKs, Kansas's of the world.

Also, and I fought this fight with Rainmaker, don't think I won't fight it here either, C-USA is not a mid-major except in the deluded minds of some media types who want to expand the classification to hype up their stories or the general buzz factor. Historically (if not recently), C-USA has been much closer to a power conference than a mid-major, and regardless of conference status, Memphis is not a mid-major, even if you consider its conference to be a mid-major.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #119
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps, but what is the coach supposed to say?
Coaches are admittedly in a tough spot when asked about their "loyalty" to a school. But Bennett really sold himself to WSU fans as a guy that wasn't looking to jump to the next great opportunity, and when you do that, you have to expect fans to be bitter when you turn around the next year and leave. Especially to a program like Virginia that hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire lately.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Dola -

What's interesting is seeing the wildly different reactions between the WSU fans and the Virgina fans. WSU fans are pissed and upset that Bennett is leaving, and Virginia fans are pissed and upset that Bennett was the guy hired.

Note to Virginia fans - Tony Bennett is a hell of a coach, and you guys are delusional if you think your program is so good you could've gotten and even higher profile coach.

Ditto. Virginia who? Wazzu has been more relevant than you for some time now in this sport, and this guy (and his dad) is a big reason why.

The Pac 10 lost a good coach today. It will be interesting to see what Wazzu does in response.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ditto. Virginia who? Wazzu has been more relevant than you for some time now in this sport, and this guy (and his dad) is a big reason why.

The Pac 10 lost a good coach today. It will be interesting to see what Wazzu does in response.

Hmm, come to think of it... Few? Is that a possibility? Wouldn't have to move far at all. Same sorta restraints. Except now he's playing in the Pac 10. Add his name to playing in a major conference with a team with a recent string of success, you might be able to keep Bennett's gains and build on some more--all for likely more money and barely having to shake your life up--Spokane is just 200-300 miles north of Pullman, last I checked.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #122
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Coaches are admittedly in a tough spot when asked about their "loyalty" to a school. But Bennett really sold himself to WSU fans as a guy that wasn't looking to jump to the next great opportunity, and when you do that, you have to expect fans to be bitter when you turn around the next year and leave. Especially to a program like Virginia that hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire lately.

Virginia does have some basketball history however, and there was no guarantee that WSU would ever see what it say the previous two years. With Romar turning it on suddenly and Few at Gonzaga, WSU was third party in it's own state. At least in Virginia, he has a fighting chance. It's a tough break for WSU fans, but what can you do?

I'd like to see them go after someone liek Randy Bennett
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #123
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hmm, come to think of it... Few? Is that a possibility? Wouldn't have to move far at all. Same sorta restraints. Except now he's playing in the Pac 10. Add his name to playing in a major conference with a team with a recent string of success, you might be able to keep Bennett's gains and build on some more--all for likely more money and barely having to shake your life up--Spokane is just 200-300 miles north of Pullman, last I checked.
Big difference - at Gonzaga, Few is almost guaranteed an NCAA berth every season. If he's going to move to a major conference, I think he'll go somewhere where he has a better chance at NCAA tournament success. WSU ain't it, but Arizona would be. Question is, does he have the balls to make that jump? We'd find out in a hurry if Few is really as good as his current rep, because there would be no excuse for failure at Arizona.

I could see Oregon as a possible destination for Few since he's an alum and based off his connections to Pat Kilkenny, but Arizona would be a better job.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #124
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Oregon, as of right now, Ernie kent still has a job, does he not? And, umm, why?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #125
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Randy Bennett? Man, Dick sure is a virile man.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #126
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Virginia does have some basketball history however, and there was no guarantee that WSU would ever see what it say the previous two years. With Romar turning it on suddenly and Few at Gonzaga, WSU was third party in it's own state. At least in Virginia, he has a fighting chance. It's a tough break for WSU fans, but what can you do?

I think he can succeed at Virginia, and I think it'll be by sticking to his system and being kind of the anti-North Carolina. I don't think Virginia can compete toe to toe with North Carolina for recruits, so why not go with a very different system and not need to out-recruit the Tar Heels? It worked for Bennett in the Pac-10.

I agree that Bennett was likely to bolt sooner or later - I'm just a little surprised it was this year. Last year afforded him higher profile jobs, but then again, maybe he looked into the future and felt that he'd done as well as he ever would with the Cougs and thought it would be better to leave now before his stock fell any more. Cougs were already looking at another rebuilding year next year with Rochestie & Baynes (among others) graduating.

And yeah, Randy Bennett would be a good choice. Ken Bone too.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #127
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Speaking of Oregon, as of right now, Ernie kent still has a job, does he not? And, umm, why?

Who the heck knows why? I blame affirmative action
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #128
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I suppose his two Elite 8 appearances still carry some weight, and they probably figure the talented frosh he had this year will eventually come around, much like the group he took to the Elite 8 in '06-'07. Plus, they can't feel like it's a guarantee that they could lure Mark Few if they did fire Kent. Would they be happy with Ken Bone or Randy Bennett as a consolation prize?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I suppose his two Elite 8 appearances still carry some weight, and they probably figure the talented frosh he had this year will eventually come around, much like the group he took to the Elite 8 in '06-'07. Plus, they can't feel like it's a guarantee that they could lure Mark Few if they did fire Kent. Would they be happy with Ken Bone or Randy Bennett as a consolation prize?

It could be argued, with the talent he had, that his Elite 8 appearances were underachievements. And, talented freshmen or no, that was a gawd awful team this year. No team should be that bad for a coach who has been on the job long enough for complete turnover, not if that coach is supposed to be any good.

On top of that, Oregon's class--what they're building off of, supposedly--wasn't as good as Washington's, Wazzu's, UCLA's or USC's classes, Oregon State got a high profile hire in state with the Obama-connected Robinson, Arizona will higher a big time coach, Cal has Montgomery again, Howland, Floyd, Romar ain't going nowhere and have consistently beaten Kent in pretty much everything...

Sorry, I just don't buy Phil Knight settling for more of that. I think they make sure they get Few, if that's who they want. Knight's money can back up a significantly heft contract. And if they somehow lost out on Few, they won't get Bennett or Bone. They'll get another big name with a big contract.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #130
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They had an ugly season this year, to be sure, but I think he bought himself one stinker with the places he's brought Oregon to in the past. I think if he does a repeat next season, he's gone. Plus his team was real young this year (which you could also add to the list of strikes against him, I suppose).
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #131
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

First, I'll say that I think this is a great hire for UVA.

That said, to say that Wazzu has been more relevant than UVA for some time is just absurd. Both have been to the tournament twice in the last ten years. In that time, Wazzu has also had one NIT trip, while UVA has had five. Wazzu has had 7 losing seasons in the last ten years. UVA has had 3.

Prior to that, UVA was very relevant on the national scene (throughout the 80s and 90s).

Again, I think this is a really, really solid hire for UVA. If you don't see why Bennett took the job, you're out of your mind.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
First, I'll say that I think this is a great hire for UVA.

That said, to say that Wazzu has been more relevant than UVA for some time is just absurd. Both have been to the tournament twice in the last ten years. In that time, Wazzu has also had one NIT trip, while UVA has had five. Wazzu has had 7 losing seasons in the last ten years. UVA has had 3.

Prior to that, UVA was very relevant on the national scene (throughout the 80s and 90s).

Again, I think this is a really, really solid hire for UVA. If you don't see why Bennett took the job, you're out of your mind.

No, it's not absurd, viewed through the prism most people use, which is "what have you done for me lately?" In the past five years, Wazzu has been much more significant than UVA, and the guy UVA hired is a key reason for it.

So UVA fans bitching about his hire need to do their homework, and not make themselves out to be above it all.

As for the bolded part above, please point out to me where I said this.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #133
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It could be argued, with the talent he had, that his Elite 8 appearances were underachievements.
Perhaps, but he should also be commended for recruiting enough talent to get Oregon to the Elite 8, something they'd never done before 1939 when they won the initial NCAA tournament.

I'm not saying Kent shouldn't be on a very hot seat right now, but I can see an argument for why he hasn't been fired yet. And maybe it's because Oregon has already checked with Few behind closed doors and been told "no".
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #134
path12
Coordinator

I agree with dawgfan that Ken Bone could be a great fit for WSU.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps, but he should also be commended for recruiting enough talent to get Oregon to the Elite 8, something they'd never done before 1939 when they won the initial NCAA tournament.

I'm not saying Kent shouldn't be on a very hot seat right now, but I can see an argument for why he hasn't been fired yet. And maybe it's because Oregon has already checked with Few behind closed doors and been told "no".

I suppose. Just seeing what they do with their football team, though, it seems clear to me they are capable of much more in basketball, too (just like with UCLA in football, it's obvious they are capable of much more than they have historically achieved). And this year didn't reach even a mediocre standard.

As for Few, if he isn't interested, it's confirmation to me he's nuts (unless he has someone bigger just waiting to give him a huge contract, which is possible).

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #136
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As for Few, if he isn't interested, it's confirmation to me he's nuts (unless he has someone bigger just waiting to give him a huge contract, which is possible).
I don't know what his interest level is. But if you're Mark Few, what's more appealing - Oregon or Arizona?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know what his interest level is. But if you're Mark Few, what's more appealing - Oregon or Arizona?

But is Arizona coming? That rumor has been out there forever. What's the hold up? If AZ's going to offer, what are they waiting for? Neither program is still in the tourney. If they're waiting for someone better, if I were Few, I would say screw you and go to Oregon. I certainly wouldn't tell Oregon no, regardless, unless I absolutely knew the UA job was mine.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #138
Groundhog
Coordinator

Perhaps Mark Few just doesn't want to leave Gonzaga. He has a pretty good thing going there, and as long as he can recruit well enough to keep ahead of his conference, chances are he'd be a lot more secure in the WCC than in the Pac-10.

I don't think every single coach would neccessarily be so intent on jumping to higher profile schools after success at smaller schools, especially given what has happened to some of the other folks that have made the jump and failed.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #139
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Oregon. More of a "nature" feel, plus he's from Springfield/Eugene
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #140
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Isn't it clear what Few's plan is? The cunning bastard is waiting for the Mizzou job to come open, where he can move to a prestigious school that offers the best chance to win a National Championship.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So UVA fans bitching about his hire need to do their homework, and not make themselves out to be above it all.

I don't sense a great deal of arrogance in their displeasure, I see a pretty healthy dose of legitimate concern. They simply don't see him being significantly different from, nor any real reason to hope for significant improvement over, the guy they just got rid of. They're specifically concerned with whether he can recruit successfully in the area which he isn't familiar with and whether he's ready to compete in the ACC. I can't say I blame them for any of those concerns.

It's not so much that they think he's a bad coach or anything, they just don't see him as any sort of an upgrade over what they already had (and weren't happy with).
Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Isn't it clear what Few's plan is? The cunning bastard is waiting for the Mizzou job to come open, where he can move to a prestigious school that offers the best chance to win a National Championship.

He may have to wait a bit. Looks like the UVA job Anderson would have jumped for is all sewn up.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't sense a great deal of arrogance in their displeasure, I see a pretty healthy dose of legitimate concern. They simply don't see him being significantly different from, nor any real reason to hope for significant improvement over, the guy they just got rid of. They're specifically concerned with whether he can recruit successfully in the area which he isn't familiar with and whether he's ready to compete in the ACC. I can't say I blame them for any of those concerns.

It's not so much that they think he's a bad coach or anything, they just don't see him as any sort of an upgrade over what they already had (and weren't happy with).

Yeah, you're probably right, particularly about the legit concerns of recruiting. Although I believe Tony also worked with his dad in Wisconsin, so he won't be completely out of his element out east.

I would have to take a better look at the guy they just ditched to compare on the rest of it, although you're right I am mis-stating things to assume any arrogance on the part of UVA fans--I have no evidence of that (I just think they're wrong to jump to the conclusion that this is a step back).

Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #144
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Memphis has definitely had more success in basketball than Missouri, that's really not debatable. But Missouri's in a more prestigious conference. So maybe it's a wash

Neither program is remotely elite though. They're both been to the tournament 22 times, same as schools like DePaul, West Virigina, Iowa, NC State. That's sounds about right in terms of what tier we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I am excited to hear West Virginia mentioned in the same breath as college basketball super-powers Missouri and Memphis. We have arrived on the main stage now!

So, 20 years of lousy basketball is what it takes to come down to this level? *sigh* There was a time....

Quote:

Quote:

I'm already hating it.

Quote:

Actually, this is insulting to Herb in some respects. Herb positively ran run-n-gun compared to Bennett.

Oh, and to show you how psychologically wounded the State fan base has been over the past two decades and particularly by Herb's tenure, we still have obsessed fans thinking they're being funny by pointing out that it seems so illogical that no one's running out and hiring Herb right now (after all, as they like to carp on because of the poor press received, Herb was a stupendous coach and the ungrateful State fan base ran him off...me personally, I am just so sick and tired of it all...).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I have nothing but love in my heart for the California Golden Bears, Montana Grizzlies, Baylor Bears, UCLA Bruins, et. al.

Johnny-come-lately Tiggers on the other hand...

It's hard to take seriously the opinion of a fan from a football school in regards to basketball when said school couldn't even beat the paltry Mizzou Tigers on their own floor.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #146
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

See Also:
Larry Shyatt 70-84 .455 1998-03

And Id say Clemson is more comparable to UVa than NC State...other than the Sampson years UVA has never been real relevent where as NCSU actually ha a basketball legacy.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #147
cartman
Death Herald

Considering Mizzou had only won one of its last 10 against Texas in basketball, consider it an act of mercy.

Thank you for only reinforcing the Johnny-come-lately part of my post.

Last edited by cartman : 03-30-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #148
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's hard to take seriously the opinion of a fan from a football school in regards to basketball when said school couldn't even beat the paltry Mizzou Tigers on their own floor.

Quite the argument
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Quite the argument

I was trying to stoop to cartman's level. Accept my apologies.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #150
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Considering Mizzou had only won one of its last 10 against Texas in basketball, consider it an act of mercy.

Thank you for only reinforcing the Johnny-come-lately part of my post.

I'd downplay the relatively mediocre play of my team as well given the high expectations. Thank God for spring football in Austin.