Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #101
Ramzavail
College Starter

I've never had one issue logging on. Maybe I've just tried on the "good" periods.

GLB is sueing them? how is this infringing on their copyright?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #102
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
OK, Johnny, I have to ask -- are you somehow related to the project or friends with Ryan or something?

No. I've never met the guy, and only have talked with him (briefly) through e-mail. He seemed good intentioned, and I can tell you he's working around the clock on the game. I brought 2000 points, and e-mailed him that it says you only need 1000 to buy a team. Well apparently you need to spend 1,500 on "achievements" to unlock owner status, and then buy a team for 1000 (=2500 points). It was unclear and misleading. I e-mailed him and asked him why I couldn't buy a team and he admitted that it was misleading... refreshed my page and and he had put 1000 extra points in my account. I am frustrated like a lot of people, but as you can see the game is really raw. Were mistakes made? I'd say absolutely, and perhaps bigger than most launches. He wants the game to work, and is working hard on it. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here and be patient with this one.

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #103
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Around the clock is very much not obvious -- particularly when he doesn't update users in any way as to what is going on.

The bottom line is that he accepted money from people for this product, or I wouldn't be nearly as harsh on him. These were very predictable results. Do my sites that I work on outside of work have problems? Definitely. Do I charge money for them? No. Is there any reason I should expect heavy traffic on them? No.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #104
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Is Ryan's email somewhere that's obvious? The only way I can find to try and communicate with him is twitter, and he is unresponsive there.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #105
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

If I were him, I would have not had the selling points piece even possible until I knew all the regular pieces were working. Way too many issues at this point.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #106
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Is Ryan's email somewhere that's obvious? The only way I can find to try and communicate with him is twitter, and he is unresponsive there.

lordscarlet, I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree. The site clearly wasn't ready. You'd be better off voicing your concerns to him. Let us know if you find out anything worthwhile.

[email protected]

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #107
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm getting a DNS error trying to hit the site today.
ditto - oh, for the days of reliable crapware like Maximum football
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #108
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
If I were him, I would have not had the selling points piece even possible until I knew all the regular pieces were working. Way too many issues at this point.

This is what the DeepRoute guy did. The open beta he ran gave you everything for free. When he felt it was ready (which at this point means it's pretty much bug free, despite the UI issues) he enabled the payment features.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The bottom line is that he accepted money from people for this product, or I wouldn't be nearly as harsh on him. These were very predictable results. Do my sites that I work on outside of work have problems? Definitely. Do I charge money for them? No. Is there any reason I should expect heavy traffic on them? No.

Ouch. Just following the thread fairly vaguely I didn't realize that part had been activated.

That takes everything else I've read in thread from "poor guy, wasn't remotely prepared for the response" to "potentially game killing clusterfuck of a debut" afaic.

And definitely removes virtually any margin for error or benefit of the doubt I might have otherwise been inclined to give.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #110
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ouch. Just following the thread fairly vaguely I didn't realize that part had been activated.

That takes everything else I've read in thread from "poor guy, wasn't remotely prepared for the response" to "potentially game killing clusterfuck of a debut" afaic.

And definitely removes virtually any margin for error or benefit of the doubt I might have otherwise been inclined to give.

yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #111
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Exactly. That is the stickler for me. I'm all for an open beta where a guy can get the most testing possible from real users, but if so, disable the payment options and let people just have at it.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Their biggest problem right now is the contract/team issue. They need to hurry up and create the additional leagues as quickly as they can.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #113
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Is anyone actually able to get to the site right now? I keep getting failed to connect errors.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #114
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Their biggest problem right now is the contract/team issue. They need to hurry up and create the additional leagues as quickly as they can.

How is that a bigger issue than the fact that site will not load more than 50% of the time? Possibly as high as 75-80% of the time?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #115
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Address Not Found

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just as a test, main site loaded, the links come back as address not found, or load slowly, or load just fine.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
How is that a bigger issue than the fact that site will not load more than 50% of the time? Possibly as high as 75-80% of the time?

They're currently still in the process of loading the new servers. I had good response time early this morning, but that was evidently due to low traffic and not any server changes. I'm guessing they'll be spending most of the day finishing that install. It shouldn't be an issue much longer.

It's two days into an open beta. I understand you want to play the game, but it is still a beta. If it's causing you a lot of angst, just come back in a few days. Given the good response to criticism by the developer, I'm guessing this will be much improved in a few days.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #118
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Shouldn't the title of the thread be changed?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #119
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
They're currently still in the process of loading the new servers. I had good response time early this morning, but that was evidently due to low traffic and not any server changes. I'm guessing they'll be spending most of the day finishing that install. It shouldn't be an issue much longer.

It's two days into an open beta. I understand you want to play the game, but it is still a beta. If it's causing you a lot of angst, just come back in a few days. Given the good response to criticism by the developer, I'm guessing this will be much improved in a few days.

Two days into an open beta the site should load. I'm sorry, I don't know why you guys are giving this guy such a long rope. There was no reason for this to happen. I don't know why people think it is so acceptable.

What good response from the developer are you referring to? The few times the site has been able to load and I have been able to look at the forums he doesn't seem to be responding to anyone's concerns -- occasionally he posts an announcement that he fixed some unmentioned bugs. And that the server is being moved to (gee, what a good idea) a dedicated server. I'm not really sure that counts as good response to criticism, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place (because the site won't load most of the time).

Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #120
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Shouldn't the title of the thread be changed?

It's like GLB, it's free.. but you can pay for extra stuff.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's like GLB, it's free.. but you can pay for extra stuff.

Although observationally I'm pretty leery of "free" when the dev's own description is that you can pay to "create a more competitive character".

It implies to me (rightly or wrongly) that you aren't really competitive playing for free. And if you aren't then what's the point?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Two days into an open beta the site should load. I'm sorry, I don't know why you guys are giving this guy such a long rope. There was no reason for this to happen. I don't know why people think it is so acceptable.

What good response from the developer are you referring to? The few times the site has been able to load and I have been able to look at the forums he doesn't seem to be responding to anyone's concerns -- occasionally he posts an announcement that he fixed some unmentioned bugs. And that the server is being moved to (gee, what a good idea) a dedicated server. I'm not really sure that counts as good response to criticism, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place (because the site won't load most of the time).

He said he would respond to all personal messages and he's done that for me thus far. I've sent 6 different mesages to him and he's responded to each one to either assist me or to let me know that he's added it as a problem that needs to be addressed. That's the kind of service I get from people like Arles, Gary G., and Jim. It appears this guy is doing the same thing and I'm pretty pleased with that.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Although observationally I'm pretty leery of "free" when the dev's own description is that you can pay to "create a more competitive character".

It implies to me (rightly or wrongly) that you aren't really competitive playing for free. And if you aren't then what's the point?

You can create just as competitive of a character through free play. The only difference is that it will take you a while longer. This is the same model that nearly all MMO browser based online games use. I've played Shot Online Golf and Goalline Blitz and have done well in both of those games without ever paying a penny.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #124
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
He said he would respond to all personal messages and he's done that for me thus far. I've sent 6 different mesages to him and he's responded to each one to either assist me or to let me know that he's added it as a problem that needs to be addressed. That's the kind of service I get from people like Arles, Gary G., and Jim. It appears this guy is doing the same thing and I'm pretty pleased with that.

And how exactly do you do that contacting? Maybe I'm being dense, but I didn't see an obvious way to do it. Further, it would be much simpler for him to just address the entire community and not have people like me think he's doing nothing.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can create just as competitive of a character through free play. The only difference is that it will take you a while longer.

Maybe so, but that's not the initial impression I get from the phrasing, which is enough to turn me off.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe so, but that's not the initial impression I get from the phrasing, which is enough to turn me off.

I agree. He phrased it quite poorly.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #127
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And how exactly do you do that contacting? Maybe I'm being dense, but I didn't see an obvious way to do it. Further, it would be much simpler for him to just address the entire community and not have people like me think he's doing nothing.

I posted some errors in the Bugs and also the Unsportsmanlike Conduct forums. If you have an email address attached to your ID, he'll contact you directly. At least that's what he did in my case.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #128
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I posted some errors in the Bugs and also the Unsportsmanlike Conduct forums. If you have an email address attached to your ID, he'll contact you directly. At least that's what he did in my case.

He needs a PR agent.

The problem, then, is that the silent majority sees him as being non-communicative. If he answered in the public forum, people would know he was doing things. Instead, he appears to be very silent with a site that is very broken.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
He needs a PR agent.

The problem, then, is that the silent majority sees him as being non-communicative. If he answered in the public forum, people would know he was doing things. Instead, he appears to be very silent with a site that is very broken.

I just find it highly premature to expect that. He's making a new post every 12-18 hours on the status in the forum and he's working to resolve a pretty big issue. Given that it's a test environment in a free game, I think he deserves a week or so to iron out the issues associated with server access. Hell, there's a lot of EA and sports games where you're lucky to even get a good online experience in the first week.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #130
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just find it highly premature to expect that. He's making a new post every 12-18 hours on the status in the forum and he's working to resolve a pretty big issue. Given that it's a test environment in a free game, I think he deserves a week or so to iron out the issues associated with server access. Hell, there's a lot of EA and sports games where you're lucky to even get a good online experience in the first week.

A forum that no one can access. And a "free" game. 12-18 hours is a long time on the web.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
A forum that no one can access. And a "free" game. 12-18 hours is a long time on the web.

I haven't had an issue getting to it all day, but maybe I'm just lucky. I just hit refresh when it gives me a 'service unavailable' error and it usually works the second time. I think the server availability is just limited right now.

Go watch an Obama news conference or something.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the server availability is just limited right now.

Which is why it seems like limiting access to this "open beta" would have been a very good idea. And one that probably should have been thought of either in advance or at least once the problem became clear.

Just from a watching-from-the-sidelines-as-a-theoretically-potential-customer perspective, I'd say there's a reasonable chance this thing has blown itself up before it even gets started. What's that old saying, about never getting a second chance to make a first impression? I'd have a tough time seeing how this is survivable.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #133
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I haven't had an issue getting to it all day, but maybe I'm just lucky. I just hit refresh when it gives me a 'service unavailable' error and it usually works the second time. I think the server availability is just limited right now.

Go watch an Obama news conference or something.

Well, I suspect the DNS changed when he switched to a dedicated server, and some people may be in between refreshes of their DNS server. I don't even get server unavailable, it can't contact the server at all.

I did email him as soon as Johnny posted the email, so I will see if he responds.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #134
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Nameserver trace for www.mmobaseball.com:
Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed l.root-servers.net.
Looking for who is responsible for com and followed l.gtld-servers.net.
Looking for who is responsible for mmobaseball.com and followed ns1.mmobaseball.com.

Nameservers for www.mmobaseball.com:
ns1.mmobaseball.com returned (SERVFAIL)
ns2.mmobaseball.com returned (SERVFAIL)
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #135
JohnnyBGood
n00b

I was having problems all day on the site. However, I think they JUST moved it to the new server, because the site is FLYING right now, and there are no server error messages to be found.

Here is the updated roster for Seattle Storms... still looking to fill some holes.

SP - Shaun Lord (MMOB holdover)
SP - Moe Jolley (rjolley, FOFC)
SP - Parker Preston (Yours truly)
SP - OPEN - Wade Moore? PENDING
SP - OPEN - Dave Moore? PENDING

MR - Scott Downs (MMOB holdover)
MR - Rince McClure (Rince, MMOB)
MR - Trey Perdue (Perdue, MMOB)
MR - OPEN
MR - OPEN

Closer - OPEN

--------------------------------------------------------
Lineup

Catcher - Ryan Andrews (Yours truly)
bC - OPEN

1B - Ras Both (Rishtinka, MMOB player)
b1B - Willie Makeit (snowman, MMO player)

2B - Deacon Palmer (ntndeacon, FOFC)
b2B - OPEN

SS - OPEN ---- We need a SS bad. Someone want to make a Speedy, Defensive, Contact SS? Think Eckstein.
bSS - OPEN

3B - Lira Dint (Ellix, MMOB player)
b3B - OPEN

LF - Bob Summers (mrkilla, FOFC) - PENDING
bLF - -Bubba the Hutt- (bubba the Hutt, MMOB holdover)

CF - Dan Schoonover (DanGarion, FOFC)
bCF - Jamie Belcourt (ouy_redrum, MMOB player)

RF - Arles Cruiser (Arles, FOFC)
bRF - OPEN

"Pending" means awaiting contract acceptance or reserved. Also, there were some players who accepted offers from the CPU before I bought the team. Their roster spot has been kept so long as they completed their training. The others were cut. We have an active team-only forum. I made some suggestions for SS and CF, just as a guideline to complement the roster so far. Feel free to create them to your own liking though, I will still add you. Oh, and once you accept the offer, click the link on the left sidebar for "My Team Forum" and meet your teammates.

Keep them coming, guys. New players please use my referral link to join and then tell me who your players are so you I can send you a contract : http://www.mmobaseball.com/createaccount.aspx?ref=48

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-01-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #136
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm a developer, so I am generally very understanding of bugs etc (I write them all the time myself). But the apologists in here are blowing my mind. Dude should be refunding all cash, and praying that enough people stick around through a period of free 'beta' (read: continuous crashing) that he still has a few interested parties left over when the dust settles.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #137
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really curious how anybody is getting to the site if the primary name servers can't resolve the name.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood View Post
I was having problems all day on the site. However, I think they JUST moved it to the new server, because the site is FLYING right now, and there are no server error messages to be found.

Maybe in your world ... here however it's "Service Unavailable", whereas I could actually get to at least parts of the site earlier.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #139
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Maybe in your world ... here however it's "Service Unavailable", whereas I could actually get to at least parts of the site earlier.

Spoke too soon. Frustrating. I really hope Ryan C gives some sort of update or address soon, before he starts losing a lot of people.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #140
hawk4669
High School JV

Ack...I can't even register without errors, etc. Losing interest even before I start.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #141
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Spoke too soon. Frustrating. I really hope Ryan C gives some sort of update or address soon, before he starts losing a lot of people.

I can't imagine most people have stuck around as long as we have.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #142
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Site is working much better for me right now. Haven't had an error in a few hours. Some of you may want to give it a shot now.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Site is working much better for me right now. Haven't had an error in a few hours. Some of you may want to give it a shot now.

Just out of curiosity I tried again. Main page loaded, slowly (15 seconds maybe) but it loaded. Tried the link to the forums, got nothing new after maybe 10 seconds of loading time. Same with "contact the developers". I'm wondering if maybe those links are also available only if you're logged in & that's why I'm not getting any visible change.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #144
hawk4669
High School JV

Negative for me....still getting the same error when I try to register. One more try later then I am moving on.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #145
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Does this link change anything? I don't know much about things like this but maybe it's worth a try. Maybe you have to clear your cache/cookies or something? Just a shot in the dark, no idea how things like this work.

http://mmobaseball.com/index.aspx

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-01-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #146
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does this link change anything? I don't know much about things like this but maybe it's worth a try. Maybe you have to clear your cache/cookies or something? Just a shot in the dark, no idea how things like this work.

http://mmobaseball.com/index.aspx

I don't know how the mmobaseball.com website is acting, but the mmobaseball.com DNS servers are broken. They aren't even letting us get to the website.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #147
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Ryan C finally made an appearance:

"We are still working on the dedicated servers. They should be up soon.
In the mean time we have added 3 more leagues of 36 teams each.
Have fun! and thank you for your patience"

Kind of wish they worked on the things that aren't functional (almost everything) instead of making more leagues. There isn't much fun to be had... yet.

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #148
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I'd love to be a speedy, defensive contact SS, but I can't get on the page either
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #149
bbor
Pro Starter

havent been able to log on in 2 days

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #150
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Got a response from ryan c:

Quote:
"Sorry buddy. I'm working on as many things as I can. Hang in there I promise we are working as fast as humanly possible. I haven't even turned the tv on since openning up this beta

PS just got my wisdom teeth out today too... Vicodin is the only thing keeping me going tonight.

And one from Frederik S... his associate:

Quote:

Hey.

I am actually away on vacation right now so I am not 100% sure that the new server is online. My colleague ryan had to go in for emergency dentistry but should be back soon and answering that question with more certainty.

The gameplan right now is to get this thing stable and running fast for everyone and then start building on everyones problems and suggestions. I am trying to answer questions with the limited time I have online. We just couldnt imagine that without even making any advertisement the site would get this huge so fast. We are running as fast as we can to keep up with all of you!

Thanks,
Fredrik S

With that information, can we narrow down exactly WHAT the problem is that people are having? I apologize for my lack of understanding, but I'd be happy to copy and paste a detailed explanation to make sure ryan gets it in the forums and you all are able to log on. For me the site is working fine... I can access it and log in with no problems and no errors. I understand this isn't the case for everyone. Any computer savvy people want to sum it up for me?

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 05-02-2009 at 12:12 AM.