Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #101
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHandley View Post
That's a shame. The new crew at Casa D's is definitely better than the last.

I just can't see any way that a head coach quits an NFL gig to take a college one. I mean, sure, you've got your douchebags like Petrino, but they are few and far between.
I miss Casa D's - I used to work in Bellevue a long time ago and went there at least once a week. There used to be one in Seattle in Belltown, but that went away several years ago unfortunately.

Saban and Petrino both walked away from NFL gigs. They may have been douchebags for the manner in which they left, but I don't think the motivation for them leaving was bad, nor would it be for Mora.

In Mora's case, he has an opportunity to return to his alma mater at a time when they desperately need a great coach to pull them out of their worst point in program history.

His choices:

- Stick with the upcoming Seahawks job, knowing that A) Seahawks fans aren't nearly as excited about him as Huskies fans are, and will get a shorter leash in terms of public opinion about his job performance, and B) seeing first-hand that the Seahawks franchise is starting to stumble after nearly a decade of upper-tier performance

- Take the Huskies job where, while he'd be taking over a program at its lowest ebb in history, still has the built-in advantages that should allow a good coach to take them back to the upper tier of the Pac-10, and if he can do so he'd become a legend in Husky history, and with much greater fan support than he'd have with the Seahawks

He'll likely have a better salary with the Seahawks, but the difference probably wouldn't be huge, and you could argue he has better long-term job security with the UW which could even out the pay difference in the longer-run view.

Quote:
The most likely scenerio that I see is UW hires someone like Pat Hill or Kyle Whittingham. That coach brings back the toughness that has been sorely missing. The program becomes relevant in the Pac 10 again, but in a short while the fans will want more.
I highly doubt Pat Hill will be the guy unless the UW whiffs on a lot of preferred targets. I think they'd take Whittingham well before they'd take Hill - in fact I'd bet Whittingham is not far behind Mora on their wish list. I think Whittingham is much more likely to succeed than Hill. But if it does end up being Hill, I think your scenario might very well play out.

That said, if Mora has aspirations of ever being the head coach at the UW, he should jump at it now, since he can't know how the future will play out and if the timing will be any better down the road.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Heavy rumors in the east that Edsall to SU is a done deal.

I know he's an alum but I'm still surprised by this. He's much closer to a BE championship at UConn, better facilities, much more talent on the roster (and that's saying a lot considering he's had trouble recruiting at UConn -- not necessarily a shot at him but more of a testament to his coaching ability), and he's being paid well where he is. Sure you can say that he'll have the tradition of Syracuse to help recruit, but he's at a minimum 3 years away from competing there. I would think he's better off sticking it out and grabbing a Big 10 offer or even an NFL job which I think he'd be pretty good at.

Part of me doesn't like schools taking coaches from others within the conference, but I guess it's better than seeing the coaching talent leave.

Last edited by Logan : 11-20-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #103
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like Ferentz saved his job with a win over Penn State followed by a win over Purdue. Iowa is on track for 8 wins and a New Years Day bowl in Florida. The Outback really wants them bad.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #104
JeeberD
General Manager

Maybe if UNM didn't overpay for mediocre former BCS conference basketball coaches they could have afforded to give Long a raise.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #105
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Maybe if UNM didn't overpay for mediocre former BCS conference basketball coaches they could have afforded to give Long a raise.

I don't think he's quitting because he's not paid well enough. Its not like some other school is going to pay him MORE money to be a defensive coordinator.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #106
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ok this doesn't not even make sense to me but I am going to post it anyhow.

A good friend very inside the Clemson athletic department, claims that Bob Stoops may be the next Clemson HC.

Apparently his agent contacted our AD Terry Don Phillips to inquire if there was interest on Clemson's part, well duh!

I am not even sure how where why this makes sense.

As much of an orange blood as I am, at the very best Clemson is a lateral move if not a slight to medium step down (that is painful to say, but sadly probably true) granted less competition, but man I cant even fathom...

Anyhow according to him when TDP was in Oklahoma last week reportedly meeting with Venerables, he was actually meeting with Stoops' agent and possibly Stoops' as well. Interestingly enough, Venerables initially claimed to have been else where and told local media to "check on it" only later to have it announced to the team (reportedly by Stoops) that he (Venerables) had interviewed for the Clemson opening. In this weird scenario, Venerables is playing along, supposedly, because he would succeed Stoops at OU....

I am almost embarrassed to type this as it just seems crazy fan board ish...but this is the guy who told me 2 days early that Bowden was gone. And 3-4 months early that Oliver Purnell would be the basketball coach....he is connected and I have known him 15+ years so I dunno

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-20-2008 at 06:10 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #107
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #108
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Ok this doesn't not even make sense to me but I am going to post it anyhow.

A good friend very inside the Clemson athletic department, claims that Bob Stoops may be the next Clemson HC.

Apparently his agent contacted our AD Terry Don Phillips to inquire if there was interest on Clemson's part, well duh!

I am not even sure how where why this makes sense.

As much of an orange blood as I am, at the very best Clemson is a lateral move if not a slight to medium step down (that is painful to say, but sadly probably true) granted less competition, but man I cant even fathom...

Anyhow according to him when TDP was in Oklahoma last week reportedly meeting with Venerables, he was actually meeting with Stoops' agent and possibly Stoops' as well. Interestingly enough, Venerables initially claimed to have been else where and told local media to "check on it" only later to have it announced to the team (reportedly by Stoops) that he (Venerables) had interviewed for the Clemson opening. In this weird scenario, Venerables is playing along, supposedly, because he would succeed Stoops at OU....

I am almost embarrassed to type this as it just seems crazy fan board ish...but this is the guy who told me 2 days early that Bowden was gone. And 3-4 months early that Oliver Purnell would be the basketball coach....he is connected and I have known him 15+ years so I dunno

Two words: pipe dream.

He's had chances to go to Ohio State, the NFL, and Florida. I doubt he goes to Clemson on a whim. I don't know how well Terry Don knows Bob from his days at Oklahoma State, but I seriously doubt this guy is on top of things here.

I heard the same rumors when the plane was in the air to Oklahoma City, but the alibi all along for Venables was that he was at home with his new daughter...easy enough to believe to get reporters off of his back. Stoops was availible after practice that day, Venables wasn't. Considering that Bud Foster is also getting interviewed, I doubt they either interviewed Stoops or that there is a serious chance of him going there.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #109
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Two words: pipe dream.

He's had chances to go to Ohio State, the NFL, and Florida. I doubt he goes to Clemson on a whim. I don't know how well Terry Don knows Bob from his days at Oklahoma State, but I seriously doubt this guy is on top of things here.

I heard the same rumors when the plane was in the air to Oklahoma City, but the alibi all along for Venables was that he was at home with his new daughter...easy enough to believe to get reporters off of his back. Stoops was availible after practice that day, Venables wasn't. Considering that Bud Foster is also getting interviewed, I doubt they either interviewed Stoops or that there is a serious chance of him going there.

I dont even know that its a pipe dream.

I mean its interesting and would LOVE to have Stoops, but I cnat see it as reasonable.

Stoops will never go NFL he knows that would lead to failure.
I also cant see him in the Snow ala OSU, and Florida would never happen because of his relationship with Spurrier...I have read that in his book he states the best advice he ever received was from Spurrier that nothing lasts forever and ride away on top, and he hoped he ha dthe ability. Spurier walked after 10, this is year.....

I dont know, I dont think it is even conceivable but stranger things have happened. And we are reportedly ready to pay 5-6MM annually....
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #110
sooner333
College Starter

I don't know about Florida...he was on his way out the door and Foley was here with a plane to pick him up and go back to Florida. Nobody knew what was going on...Mike Stoops was on the radio on ESPN radio and made it sound like nobody knew what would happen, but he would be honored if they picked him as the head coach. Push comes to shove, the plane left without him and Stoops had an impromptu press conference saying he was staying.

Spurrier walked away to a new challenge that was loftier than where he was...the NFL. I don't see going to Clemson being that challenge for Stoops. I guess he could go away for the sake of doing something different...perhaps it's getting stale here with fans and media. That being said, I just don't see it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #111
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm curious what the perspective is from Texas fans about Muschamp being anointed Head Coach-in waiting? Any sense of when Mack Brown would step down? Any trepidation over locking in Muschamp?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #112
Swaggs
Coordinator

After hearing about Muschamp, I got to thinking that it was surprising that VT had not come up with a similar agreement with Bud Foster. Today, I saw on ESPN.com that they were exploring it. I don't think Beamer is past his prime or anything, but he seems a little warn down the past few years.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #113
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm curious what the perspective is from Texas fans about Muschamp being anointed Head Coach-in waiting? Any sense of when Mack Brown would step down? Any trepidation over locking in Muschamp?

not a Texas fan, but Ive followed him due to the rumors of Clemson pursuing earlier, and have been unimpressed. Sure he is a fiery guy, but as a DC shouldnt you have a good D?

And every good team has racked up major yards against him....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #114
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
not a Texas fan, but Ive followed him due to the rumors of Clemson pursuing earlier, and have been unimpressed. Sure he is a fiery guy, but as a DC shouldnt you have a good D?

And every good team has racked up major yards against him....
Well, to be fair, he's had very good defenses in the past. And beyond that, the skillsets between being a coordinator and a head coach aren't exactly the same. Just because you are a good coordinator doesn't mean you'll make a good coach, and vice versa.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will Brown step down anytime soon, and if not, will Muschamp stick around?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #115
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Well, to be fair, he's had very good defenses in the past. And beyond that, the skillsets between being a coordinator and a head coach aren't exactly the same. Just because you are a good coordinator doesn't mean you'll make a good coach, and vice versa.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will Brown step down anytime soon, and if not, will Muschamp stick around?

I imagine he'll stay for awhile unless a very select few programs had an opening and wanted him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #116
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Muschamp has exceeded expectations with the defense this year. True, the Passing Defense numbers aren't anything special, but all of the other phases of defense have been playing at a very high level. They are in the Top 20 in points allowed, which at the end of the day is the most important stat. Plus, they've given up the fewest points in the offensive-minded Big 12 this season. And finally, for each team they've played this season, it was the lowest offensive output for that team so far this year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #117
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I know he's an alum but I'm still surprised by this. He's much closer to a BE championship at UConn, better facilities, much more talent on the roster (and that's saying a lot considering he's had trouble recruiting at UConn -- not necessarily a shot at him but more of a testament to his coaching ability), and he's being paid well where he is. Sure you can say that he'll have the tradition of Syracuse to help recruit, but he's at a minimum 3 years away from competing there. I would think he's better off sticking it out and grabbing a Big 10 offer or even an NFL job which I think he'd be pretty good at.

Part of me doesn't like schools taking coaches from others within the conference, but I guess it's better than seeing the coaching talent leave.

I'm not scared of anyone named Randy Edsall.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

At 69 years old, Bill Snyder is back at Kansas State.

Bill Snyder to coach Kansas State football again | News Updates | Kansas.com
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #119
st.cronin
General Manager

That's tremendous news. Good for the Wildcats.

knives out
Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #120
st.cronin
General Manager

Chuck Long is out at San Diego State. So that's three teams in the Mountain West looking for coaches.

knives out
Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's ESPN, so take it for it is worth, but during my lunch time drive, they reported that Charlie Weis is done at ND on Monday regardless of how the team performs this weekend. The buyout is supposed to be huge too (estimates of about 10 million.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Chuck Long is out at San Diego State. So that's three teams in the Mountain West looking for coaches.

Interesting chatter about the San Diego State job here in KC. There is a lot of speculation about Herm Edwards being offered that job. When he was asked about it in a press conference, he gave a non-denial denial answer. Herm Edwards is a SD State alum. He is under contract through next season, but may be removed at the end of this year depending on how the Chiefs finish this year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #123
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It's ESPN, so take it for it is worth, but during my lunch time drive, they reported that Charlie Weis is done at ND on Monday regardless of how the team performs this weekend. The buyout is supposed to be huge too (estimates of about 10 million.)
I've heard word the buyout isn't as big as it's been speculated, but either way - where would Notre Dame be now if they'd just offered Urban Meyer the contract they gave fat boy Weiss when they (stupidly) extended him after his first season?

I read an interesting column recently explaining why it's not that far-fetched to think that Notre Dame could still end up landing Meyer...
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #124
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

No surprise. He went from hero to goat pretty fast.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #125
Kodos
Resident Alien

ND can have Bill Lynch. We'll even pay them to take him!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #126
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I've heard word the buyout isn't as big as it's been speculated, but either way - where would Notre Dame be now if they'd just offered Urban Meyer the contract they gave fat boy Weiss when they (stupidly) extended him after his first season?

I read an interesting column recently explaining why it's not that far-fetched to think that Notre Dame could still end up landing Meyer...

Joe Shad was on ESPN this morning saying that his contacts at ND said that Weis' buyout is essentially the entire contract and that those saying its not all that big don't have knowledge of the wording in the contract. "Stupefying" was the word they used to describe the amount of his buyout.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ESPN earlier today reporting that Lane Kiffin wants to bring Ed Orgeron with him if he gets the job in Knoxville.

Meanwhile this afternoon AD Mike Hamilton tells reporters that Kiffin has not been offered the job, effectively denying a report that broke on local sports radio in Knoxville this morning.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #128
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Joe Shad was on ESPN this morning saying that his contacts at ND said that Weis' buyout is essentially the entire contract and that those saying its not all that big don't have knowledge of the wording in the contract. "Stupefying" was the word they used to describe the amount of his buyout.
If this is true, how incredibly stupid of Notre Dame.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #129
GrantDawg

Quote:
If this is true, how incredibly stupid of Notre Dame.

Why? The boosters will pay it, not the university (if it follows the pattern of most the recent buy-out firings).
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #130
st.cronin
General Manager

Notre Dame can definitely afford the buyout for Weis, even if it is stupidly high.

knives out
Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #131
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
ESPN earlier today reporting that Lane Kiffin wants to bring Ed Orgeron with him if he gets the job in Knoxville.

Meanwhile this afternoon AD Mike Hamilton tells reporters that Kiffin has not been offered the job, effectively denying a report that broke on local sports radio in Knoxville this morning.
and reportedly Monte as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Prediction: If Hamilton hires Kiffin (even if he brings his whole family, three friends, and two members of his calling circle), they'll all be unemployed less than three years from the hiring date. And by "they" I mean all the coaches plus Hamilton.

I'm not at all willing to say that the other names commonly thought to be in the mix - Leach & Kelly - are sure bets to experience any different fate but of the three Kiffin seems like one of the most obvious guaranteed fails I can recall in a coaching search.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-26-2008 at 05:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #133
GrantDawg

Quote:
Prediction: If Hamilton hires Kiffin (even if he brings his whole family, three friends, and two members of his calling circle), they'll all be unemployed less than three years from the hiring date. And by "they" I mean all the coaches plus Hamilton.

I'm not at all willing to say that the other names commonly thought to be in the mix - Leach & Kelly - are sure bets to experience any different fate but of the three Kiffin seems like one of the most obvious guaranteed fails I can recall in a coaching search.

Sounds like he'd be a great hire for Tenessee. And if got Monte off the Bucs, it would be win-win.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #134
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm not thrilled with becoming USC Lite, that's for sure.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #135
Swaggs
Coordinator

So... any chance that the Rodriguez to Clemson rumors have any legs?

I'm guessing it is just internet banter, but makes some sense with his previous stint and his agent being a Clemson alum (and a snake).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #136
MJ4H
Coordinator

Eh, the assistants could make it a good hire regardless of how Lane turns out to be. I like the assistants being talked about for Tennessee, for sure. Lane is definitely a question mark, but it could work out very well.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: Monte Kiffin -- I wonder who the oldest coordinators in D1 are today? Off the top of my head I have no idea.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #138
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Why? The boosters will pay it, not the university (if it follows the pattern of most the recent buy-out firings).
Makes them look awfully impulsive. They don't give Ty more than 3 years, then after 1 year under Charlie (which look a lot like Ty's first year) they lavish a mammoth 10-year extension on him with a huge buyout?

Maybe it doesn't affect the athletic department's bottom line, just boosters, but it still looks pretty stupid IMO.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #139
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Kiffin has been mentioned for the Washington job too, and I'm no more excited about that than you are for him being mentioned for the Tennessee job.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kiffin has been mentioned for the Washington job too, and I'm no more excited about that than you are for him being mentioned for the Tennessee job.

I think I've figured out a solution that works for everybody.

Poli (per his dynasty thread) is considering moving to a coordinators job with another team. That move would create a vacancy that Kiffin seems reasonably qualified for.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #141
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm not sure I'd want to leave my 9 year olds in his charge.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #142
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha
Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #143
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Per ESPN.com:

Kiffin is the former USC offensive coordinator and Raiders coach. Hamilton has not "offered" the job the Kiffin but contractual parameters have been discussed, a to a person briefed on the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Two sources told ESPN.com that they expect the search to be wrapped up next week and that Kiffin is at the forefront of that search. Speculation on Tennessee's final candidates centers on Kiffin, Brian Kelly of Cincinnati, Gary Patterson of TCU and Tim Brewster of Minnesota.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #144
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Meyer's decision to turn down ND wasn't based on money - it was because he wanted even lower academic standards than they were willing to give Weis, permission to bring in JuCo guys, etc.

Retrospect it clearly looks like Florida got the better coach, but I'm not sure at the time there was a clear difference. It also would have been pretty painful to watch Brady Quinn try to run the spread option in 2005 if not 2006 as well.

The rest of this is still pretty much entirely ESPN/Chicago Tribune stirring up shit.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Two sources told ESPN.com that they expect the search to be wrapped up next week and that Kiffin is at the forefront of that search.

Then I can only be left to wonder who will head up the search for a new coach in 2-3 years. And the (apparent) fact that he's even a serious candidate answers the questions about Hamilton as far I'm concerned, not that I really needed much persuading. His last renewal of Phulmer's contract pretty much sealed his status as a moron, with the only thing saving him being the Pearl hiring. Seems pretty certain now that the Pearl decision was nothing more than a blind pig finding an acorn.

The worst part a Kiffin hiring to me will probably be how the Foolmerites will point to the debacle that will follow as some sort of proof of the need to "be careful what you wish for". Kiffin continuing to dig the program into a hole wouldn't be anything different that the result under Phil, and it proves nothing more than the need for a new AD in Knoxville.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #146
Poli
FOFC Survivor

If Kiffin is hired, I can only cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #147
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Gary Patterson has reportedly told Washington "Thanks but no thanks".

Some "insiders" think Mora is still in play, others think that ship has sailed (should've fired Ty last December ).

The Seattle Times beat writer thinks that Jeff Tedford may become the top target, and you'd have to figure Kyle Whittingham would also be high on their list. While there are reasons why each might say "yes", Tedford has to be considered a serious longshot, and perhaps Whittingham too.

Ugh to Pat Hill, who would jump at the UW job in a heartbeat.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #148
st.cronin
General Manager

So I totally get UT fans not being thrilled about Kiffin, but I'm wondering who the fanbase was hoping for? Tuberville? Urban Meyer? Lou Holtz? John L. Smith?

knives out
Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd think they wouldn't mind stealing David Cutcliffe back from Duke.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So I totally get UT fans not being thrilled about Kiffin, but I'm wondering who the fanbase was hoping for? Tuberville? Urban Meyer? Lou Holtz? John L. Smith?

I think Kelly would have been acceptable, so would Leach. Or even someone whose name might not have been mentioned in the speculation (i.e.a candidate that emerged during the process that we might not have thought of initially).

This isn't on the scale of OMG awful (like, for example, Chan Gailey) but I'm convinced that the outcome will be the same: another coaching search in less than three years.