Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #101
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The NBA has no interest in limiting players from returning to teams. The NBA loves blockbuster trades, but with the salary cap those are hard to put together. Having wink and nod agreements to cut a player is a price the NBA is willing to pay in order to get the buzz of big trades.

All this really means is that Denver would have taken Billups and Samb for Iverson, but it wouldn't work with the cap, so McDyess was added temporarily to make the trade happen.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #102
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Awesome Dallas-Lakers game

Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #103
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers were up big on NO tonight and while NO closed it, they weren't in that big of a danger of losing this game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #104
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

How good the Lakers are this season is inversely proportional to how bad the Clippers have been.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #105
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Kickass game in Boston last night.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #106
Bad-example
College Starter

From Rotoworld:

"Andris Biedrins had 17 points, 16 rebounds and four assists in the Warriors win on Saturday.
Biedrins has opened the season with 10 consecutive double-doubles, averaging a monstrous 16.8 points and 14.8 rebounds. He is also setting career highs in assists (1.6), steals (1.0), and blocks (1.7). Not too shabby."

The guy is only 22. What will he be once his body fills out?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #107
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
From Rotoworld:

"Andris Biedrins had 17 points, 16 rebounds and four assists in the Warriors win on Saturday.
Biedrins has opened the season with 10 consecutive double-doubles, averaging a monstrous 16.8 points and 14.8 rebounds. He is also setting career highs in assists (1.6), steals (1.0), and blocks (1.7). Not too shabby."

Not surprised at all bout Biedrin's numbers. When your starting PF is Corey Maggette, and the person coming in for you is Ronny Turiaf, you're not going to have a lot of competition for rebounds.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #108
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
From Rotoworld:

He has been insane for fantasy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #109
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He has been insane for fantasy.

Indeed.

I've got both Biedrins AND Wade on my team, and so far they have both been killing it. Now I just need Durant to grab a rebound or two and I'm set.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #110
mckerney
Coordinator

Updated list of people who need to go away from the Timberwolves:

Glen Taylor
Kevin McHale
Randy Wittman
Randy Foye
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Mike Miller
Jason Collins
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #111
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Indeed.

Now I just need Durant to grab a rebound or two and I'm set.

Speaking of Durant, a lot of people were hard on him last season (I was definitely one of them) but he played much better in the 2nd half offensively and looked like he could have huge season offensively this year. So far this season, he's shown zero improvement from last, though. The fact that he still isn't defending, shows no interest in rebounding, and doesnt have a clue how to pass has to be a concern.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #112
MikeVic
Head Coach

Do you think Brad Miller, Rasheed Wallace, or Josh Howard are better fantasy options than David West for the season? West isn't doing good, and all three of the mentioned players are averaging more fantasy points in the league I'm in.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Updated list of people who need to go away from the Timberwolves:

Glen Taylor
Kevin McHale
Randy Wittman
Randy Foye
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Mike Miller
Jason Collins

Is that both the good and the bad?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #114
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Is that both the good and the bad?

It's mostly bad, but for a couple not a fit for make up of the roster or because of cost. I don't think Kevin Love is a bad player (though I don't ever think he'll ever come close to being great), but when the plan has been to build around Al Jefferson, trading for Love was a bad move that doesn't make much sense. Jefferson is a power forward or undersized center who has a great offensive game, but is a sub par defender inside. So how to build around him? In not surprising McHale fashion the decision going into the draft was they absolutely needed Kevin Love, a power forward or undersized center with potential to have a great offensive game, but that is a sub par defender. The pairing of the two makes no sense with the necessity of a strong interior defense to be a legitimate contender, though I guess to McHale it makes sense after last year drafting SG/SF with an overrated repuation as a defender who is still learning to dribble and shoot about 20 spots too high. Add in Mike Miller being packaged with Love and the starting 3/4/5 on most nights makes for an absolutely terrible defense.

OJ Mayo made a lot more sense for this team. They don't have any good back court options right now, Mayo would be a great fit as a scoring paring with Jefferson. The Wolves were touting getting rid of Jaric's bad contract in the draft night deal, but they lost Antoine Walker's expiring deal, added Brian Cardinals bad contract, and took on a vastly overpaid Mike Miller. Mayo would have been a start for being able to build something for the future, but I don't see how Love next to Jefferson is a good foundation for the future when they could have done so much more picking 3rd. After screwing up the last few drafts by winding up with McCants, Foye and Brewer, this was another year where the draft was essential a waste.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #115
MrBug708
Head Coach

Any Buck fans around? Whats the consensus on Mbah a Moute?

And Thunder fans, how is Westbrook doing?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #116
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm sort of a Bucks fan given Bogut is in the middle. Mbah a Moute has surprised the heck out of me. I didn't expect him to earn a roster spot let alone be a heavy rotational player.

Westbrook, from what I've seen, can't string two good games together. When he is on, he's electric, when he's off, he's shooting 3-19.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Should be an interesting 7 game stretch for the Cavs to finish the month.

They're on a 7 game win streak right now, and play the following games over the next two weeks.
@NJ
@DET(2nd night of b2b)
ATL
@NY
OKC(2nd night of b2b)
GS
@MIL(2nd night of b2b)

Hopefully Mike Brown can get them through this, but it could get ugly really quick if they lose some of these winnable games. Even if they do have all those b2b's this quickly.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Awesome line for Rondo tonight. 9-15 for 22 pts. 8 Rebs. 7 Assists. 0 Turnovers.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #119
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

World, Derrick Rose introduces himself:

All from the same game. There's a reason to watch Chicago Bulls basketball again.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #120
JeeberD
General Manager

Seriously...is that Pumpy doing the color commentary?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #121
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

LOL....don't be a play-ur hay-tur
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

When I'm feeling a little down or depressed, I like to compare the following two lots of statistics:

Randy Foye - 12.8ppg 5.8apg .413 fg%
Kevin Love - 8.7ppg 6.5rpg .402 fg%

Brandon Roy - 20.9ppg 5.3apg .463 fg%
OJ Mayo - 21.9ppg 4.2rpg .464% fg
Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #123
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
World, Derrick Rose introduces himself:

All from the same game. There's a reason to watch Chicago Bulls basketball again.

I was real close to not renewing my season tickets. They got the first pick and I called the next day to renew.

He broke Miller's ankles a couple days later in Chicago again. He is going to be the best PG in the league in a year or two. Defenders will play off him by almost five feet and he'll still blow by them. It's too bad that the rest of the team is pure trash. The Bulls would be an exciting team in the playoffs if they had anyone else.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #124
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Stacey King. Makes me miss Johnny "Red" Kerr.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #125
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Will someone please finally bump Dunleavy up to the front office permanently, and get someone in here who can coach?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Here's a great idea. Leave Turkoglu and Lewis open for three. Go for it. Live on the edge.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So frustrating. How many games have we led going into the quarter, only to completely blow it? It's not about talent. This team has talent. It's about heart and character and consistency. I can see Baron has heart, but he can't do it by himself. The rest of this team has got to step it up and match his intensity, and not leave him out there to dry. And it starts at the top. Dunleavy has proven for years now that he's not a good gameday coach. Let's get one in here, preferably one that will allow this team to run more, which is what suits its personnel. I say Avery Johnson. Still don't know why he doesn't have a job.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Clips looking good in preseason eh Rum.

They'd need to go 40 and 20 to get where you expect them to be.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Clips looking good in preseason eh Rum.

They'd need to go 40 and 20 to get where you expect them to be.

Thanks for not rubbing it in.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #130
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

KG making Big Baby cry.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #131
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Re: Charlotte/Phoenix trade

I don't know if this is really what you want your coach saying after you make a trade:

"When you try to get better, you're going to lose some assets," Charlotte coach Larry Brown said. "We're losing a pretty darn good player and the way Phoenix is trying to make their team, they just added an unbelievable piece."

I mean, don't most coaches and GMs at least talk about the trade from their perspective? And try to spin it well? Or spin it at all? Brown basically told his fans, "We looked over everthing about the team, realized that your season ticket packages are not refundable, and decided to make this trade."

Suns acquire Richardson in 5-player swap - NBA - SI.com

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 12-11-2008 at 01:26 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #132
MikeVic
Head Coach

Didn't they (Suns) just basically trade defense for offense?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #133
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thanks for not rubbing it in.

As a Timberwolves fan the team has not failed to meet my expectations for the year. Scapegoating a coach as the cause of the problems on this team who was bad, but everyone knew that he was bad when McHale just had to have him? Letting the guys who have screwed this team up so badly in McHale, Hoiberg, and Stack stay in charge? Still letting McHale have final say over personal moves after making some fans happy by removing his front office title? Telling the fans, "Hey, we could have 4 first round draft picks next year!" even though you've completely screwed up your last 6 first round picks, and even if you do draft a star you'll just trade him away draft night? Done and done.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, we're a sorry lot, aren't we, mckerney? We need to get a Charlotte, Memphis and Thunder fan all together and we can challenge each other for who actually has the worst franchise in the NBA.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #135
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, we're a sorry lot, aren't we, mckerney? We need to get a Charlotte, Memphis and Thunder fan all together and we can challenge each other for who actually has the worst franchise in the NBA.

That would not be a bad idea.

At least there's college basketball.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Cutino Mobley is retiring immediately, due to the enlarged heart discovered in his physical with the Knicks.

He's got to do what's best for him, so I hope this allows him to live a good and long life, rather than risking it further on the court. He's a millionaire many times over, so he should have no need for the money.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #137
JeeberD
General Manager

Poor Cat. I always liked him when he was with the Rockets...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Poor Cat. I always liked him when he was with the Rockets...

Agreed. While I was never a fan of his game (unwise shooter at times, very inconsistent, never the three point shooter he could have been, D was turnover-focused rather than man-focused), he himself always seemed to be a fairly likable guy.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #139
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm just going to give my rundown and grade of the C's so far this season. Probably won't focus on the stats much, but more on what I'm seeing.

Rondo
Easily the catalyst so far. Started slowly, but he's really leading this team now. All of the Big 3 are deferring to him and letting him run the show. Not All-Star worthy this year, but he's on the verge. Shooting is still his downfall, but there's no need for him to shoot a jumpshot when he knows the more efficient play is to give it up to one of the more adept scorers. A+

Ray
Is on an absolute tear right now. This is the Ray Allen Celts fans were expecting last year, everything he throws up, I fully expect to go in. He is really clicking with Rondo and getting comfortable being the go-to 3 point assassin. A

Pierce
With Ray's hot streak, the burden of scoring has really been lifted from PP's shoulders. He is still the go-to player in crunch time IMO, but throughout the rest of the game is really letting the game come to him. Even when his shot isn't falling, and he continues shooting I don't feel like he's forcing it. With that said, there's certainly room for improvement. B

KG
Scoring numbers are down a bit, but continues shooting 50%+. As usual it's all about defensive intensity...one of those "if he's on your team you love it, if your team is playing against him he's a disrespectful punk" traits (talking to you Raptor Fans). B+

Perk
I could do without the constant techs, but Perk is growing as a player. Defense and rebounding will always be his game, but he's showing some touch around the basket, that only helps the C's. B+

TA
Getting back to his aggressive attack the rim style that made him such a promising youngster. Still too incinsistent, but he's getting there. His tough D is partially filling in for Posey. B

House
Still not my ideal backup PG, but when he does heat-up lookout. C+

Powe
Undersized big-man...great backup 4. B+

Baby
Not cutting in for me. D

Overall, the record may be similar to last year's, but I think the chemistry is better (particularly Ray) and the team just feels more solid to me.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #140
MikeVic
Head Coach

I would love for KG on the Raps. They got Jermaine, but still feel so weak.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #141
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Juwon Howard is still playing in the NBA?!?!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #142
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Powe
Undersized big-man...great backup 4. B+

Baby
Not cutting in for me. D

I'm a big fan of Powe, but Glen Davis has been dissapointing to me every time I've seen the Celtics play. He had great touch around the basket at LSU which made up for his "ground bound" style of play, but every time I see him play for the Celtics he can't buy a basket.

I don't think being a little undersized for post players is a major issue as long as you have other tools to make up for it (length, strength, or athleticism), but Davis really doesn't have any of those things in enough abundance to make up for his shortfalls at this level.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #143
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sublime - i'm sure you know this (saw the article) but word is that after the offseason surgeries the year before Ray Allen wasn't 100% healthy all year and was never able to get the same lift and pushoff with his legs that he was used to getting to it affected his shot all last year
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #144
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
sublime - i'm sure you know this (saw the article) but word is that after the offseason surgeries the year before Ray Allen wasn't 100% healthy all year and was never able to get the same lift and pushoff with his legs that he was used to getting to it affected his shot all last year

I have read that a few times, and I really thought at first it was an excuse for a guy who was just over the hill. But it's obviously looking more and more like that was the case, which only spells more trouble for the rest of the league. Go C's!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #145
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm a big fan of Powe, but Glen Davis has been dissapointing to me every time I've seen the Celtics play. He had great touch around the basket at LSU which made up for his "ground bound" style of play, but every time I see him play for the Celtics he can't buy a basket.

I don't think being a little undersized for post players is a major issue as long as you have other tools to make up for it (length, strength, or athleticism), but Davis really doesn't have any of those things in enough abundance to make up for his shortfalls at this level.

Dola

My hope really is that the time Baby has been getting is really just showcase Baby time. Glen seems to be a good locker room guy, but he has been frustrating to watch. I'm trying not to complain too much about the C's, but if there's a weakness it's backup center, no doubt! Here's hoping for Mutumbo, PJ Brown, or Mourning.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hawks come up short at home vs Celtics 88-85, Garnett put Boston up by two with 9.7 seconds left, Joe Johnson drives & draws a foul but misses a FT with 1.5 left after the rebound. Allen hits both FT's with 0.7 seconds left, Bibby's rainbow three clanks off the front rim just a little short.

Celtics streak now at 16.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #147
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

solid game by the Hawks though - they definately give the C's a run for their money
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #148
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, this Celts fan doesn't really want to see the Hawks in the playoffs this year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Whomever gets homecourt out of the Celts or Cavs is gonna win the title this year. I think the Cavs do have a few good trade chips left so I think they can certainly make a few moves.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #150
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Chris Paul sets the all-time NBA record for consecutive games with steals tonight, now at 106 games in a row. He beat Alvin Robertson's record from around 1986 or so. It's not quite Dimaggio-esque, but this is not an easy stat to have for 106 straight games. An amazing run.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote