Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #101
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think it's no lose for Pittsburgh-- this time. They are paying Fleury anyway. If the arbitrator awards a $5M deal, the Pens take that for a year (2 at Fleury's choice). And continue working out the long term agreement.

If he is awarded $2.5M, they accept that, save a little bit of $$$, and continue working out a long term deal.

Jimmy Howard has been being groomed for a few years now, and should slide easily into the backup spot.

HB and Detox can definitely speak better for him than be, but I think they have zero worries about him being the backup.

Yeah, Jimmy Howard is the likely backup, but watch out for (gasp) another Swede in Daniel Larsson. He's been exceptional over in Sweden since he was drafted and signed a deal to come over next year. He said regardless he will play in North America next year.

The likely scenario is Howard plays 30 or so games, and Larsson tackles 50 or so in Grand Rapids. An impressive showing by Larsson there though could spell trouble for Howard.

I think Howard can be a franchise goalie, but he has to gain consistency. Excellent ability though, just worried about upstairs.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #102
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wings' assistant coach, Todd McLellan, has just been hired as the San Jose Sharks head coach.

Good for him.

I don't know much about him, but everything I've heard on local sports radio has been raving about what a great guy he is, and how he's going to be a great coach. Anything else to add that we might not necessarily hear over here?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #103
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I don't know much about him, but everything I've heard on local sports radio has been raving about what a great guy he is, and how he's going to be a great coach. Anything else to add that we might not necessarily hear over here?

You'll see SJ play a lot like Detroit did I think. Puck possession, and defensive accountability by your top guys. SJ will toughen up quick. Also, he was the brainchild of Detroit's PP.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #104
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You'll see SJ play a lot like Detroit did I think. Puck possession, and defensive accountability by your top guys. SJ will toughen up quick. Also, he was the brainchild of Detroit's PP.

So which Shark is he going to have interfere with the goalie?

Seriously though, as an outsider, I think he'll have a hard time doing that in SJ. While there are guys who are puck posession types in SJ (Thornton, and some of those mobile D), there are other guys (Cheechoo, Goc, McLaren immediately come to mind) who I don't think fit that style.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-14-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #105
bronconick
College Starter

Goc is a checking center at best, if not flat out of the lineup at times (Thornton, Marleau/Pavelski, Mitchell, Roenick). McLaren should be the 8th defensemen next year if not playing for some other team of suckers and Cheechoo's main job is to be a poor-man's Brett Hull, who managed to play in Detroit for a few years. If Cheech has the puck on his stick for more then 2 seconds, something's going to go wrong anyway.

His real shock period will be when he realizes that instead of Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwall, he has Vlasic, Campbell (hopefully) and Ehrhoff.

This team's major fallpoint the last two years is that the forwards have to spend so much effort helping the defense out of their own zone that the offense suffers.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #106
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wheeler signs with the bruins.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #107
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Hedberg back to Atlanta
Ryan Suter re-signs with Nashville, $14M over 4 years.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #108
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
wheeler signs with the bruins.

Technicality, but I believe he will sign with them July 1st. I think he is Coyote property up til then.

I could be wrong though.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #109
Pyser
Pro Rookie

yes. but thats really just splitting hairs at this point. its a done deal.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #110
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and tsn says the flames have a handshake agreement with langkow.

damnit.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #111
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think it's no lose for Pittsburgh-- this time. They are paying Fleury anyway. If the arbitrator awards a $5M deal, the Pens take that for a year (2 at Fleury's choice). And continue working out the long term agreement.

If he is awarded $2.5M, they accept that, save a little bit of $$$, and continue working out a long term deal.

Jimmy Howard has been being groomed for a few years now, and should slide easily into the backup spot.

HB and Detox can definitely speak better for him than be, but I think they have zero worries about him being the backup.

My dad watches the Griffins in GR, and has said that Howard is really up and down with his play. Sometimes he looks invincible but other times he appears out of place in net. Not sure what to think of that, but I hope the Wings have a decent alternative, aka Larssen.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #112
Pyser
Pro Rookie

oh my. according to tsn:

The report indicates the Blue Jackets would likely offer Malone a four or five-year contract worth between $4.5 million and $5.5 million per season.

thats after they trade for his rights.

thats too much.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #113
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
oh my. according to tsn:

The report indicates the Blue Jackets would likely offer Malone a four or five-year contract worth between $4.5 million and $5.5 million per season.

thats too much.

I agree, but it's sort of what the market dictates, no?

Malone did score 27 goals and had a decent playoffs. Granted, he was playing with either Crosby or Malkin most of the year, so his offensive numbers are inflated, but around $4.5 million seems to be the going rate for a reasonably young, tough, physical forward who can score about 20 goals.

Penner is pulling down $4.25 and while I think he's a smarter player and has much higher offensive upside, he really has no physical element to his game. Erat is making $4.5 million. Again, more offensive upside, but Erat doesn't bring too much more to the table.

I always figured around $4.5 or so was what Malone would ask for and receive.

Yeah, it's probably too much, but, again, not surprising. I could see this as going down like when Martin LaPointe was signed by the Bruins.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #114
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
oh my. according to tsn:

thats too much.

Looking like a 2nd and 3rd round pick to Pittsburgh in the deal. Which is great. Coming into the draft, the Pens had no picks round 1 (part of Hossa deal), 2 (part of Hal Gill deal) or 3 (last year's deadline deal, to Phoenix, for Laraque). And they save $4.5+.

And I have to believe Shero believes he's got Hossa locked up to make this move.

If the Pens can keep Hossa and Orpik, lose Malone but pick up two draft picks in his place, I'll be pretty damn happy.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #115
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree, but it's sort of what the market dictates, no?

Malone did score 27 goals and had a decent playoffs. Granted, he was playing with either Crosby or Malkin most of the year, so his offensive numbers are inflated, but around $4.5 million seems to be the going rate for a reasonably young, tough, physical forward who can score about 20 goals.

Penner is pulling down $4.25 and while I think he's a smarter player and has much higher offensive upside, he really has no physical element to his game. Erat is making $4.5 million. Again, more offensive upside, but Erat doesn't bring too much more to the table.

I always figured around $4.5 or so was what Malone would ask for and receive.

Yeah, it's probably too much, but, again, not surprising. I could see this as going down like when Martin LaPointe was signed by the Bruins.

Agree 100% HB. He's not worth $4.5M, but that is what it will take to get him in free agency.

He'll score his 20 goals, crash the net, and probably work on the 2nd PP unit as the in front of the net guy, and be in the PK rotation. He'll drop the gloves.

What he did this year for $1.3M was a bargain. Doing the same things for $4.5M is robbery.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #116
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ok, even at $4.5 thats "robbery". so what would that make a 5 yr, 27.5-mil deal.

for 50 points? on THAT pens team...going to columbus?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #117
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Obviously, I hope this one is a little more on the 4.5 mill side than 5.5. I can live with 5 and under, but anything more than that is ridiculous. However, he fills a need in this Jackets lineup, a top-6 forward that is willing to pay the price. We have nobody that will go in front of the net on the PP, and we have nobody with skill that is as tough as Malone is. I'd think he's an ideal player for Hitchcock's style of play, which makes me think he is even more valuable to the Jackets than most other teams.

However, having said that, I hope that this doesn't prevent us from filling a hole up the middle and a top D-man. I'd love to see a deal for Vermette from Ottawa and/or a deal for Kubina from Toronto.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's up to GM's now to break market value during the season and lock up guys rather then let them test the market.

I am anxious to see what Zetterberg resigns for.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am anxious to see what Zetterberg resigns for.

Me too. I am thinking around $7 to $7.5 million for 5-6 years or so. That would seem to be about right. I could see him asking for more. Considering he just won the Conn Smythe and out played Crosby in the finals, it'd be hard to argue against it. Hopefully, he'll stick with the "program" and give the Wings a hometown discount just like the "perfect human" and others.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #120
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
ok, even at $4.5 thats "robbery". so what would that make a 5 yr, 27.5-mil deal.

for 50 points? on THAT pens team...going to columbus?

The thing that is a little weird, here are his stat lines since breaking into the league don't vary much from a last place in the league team through a Cup finalist-

2003-04 22G 21A 43P in 81 games
2004-05 Lockout
2005-06 22G 22A 44P in 77 games
2006-07 16G 15A 31P in 64 games
2007-08 27G 24A 51P in 77 games

His rookie year he may have been the best player on a God awful team. The 2 following the lockout he coasted terribly.

This season, I guess you can look at two ways - playing the entire year with either Sid and/or Geno didn't change his totals that much, so he didn't really mooch off them. Also, playing the entire season with Sid and/or Geno didn't change his numbers that much, so while there might be the potential for a slight bump in production, what you see now may be the finished product.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 AM   #121
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Stupid Ryan Malone

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08169/890647-61.stm

Quote:
Amid speculation that the Penguins were about to send Ryan Malone to a Western Conference team for a player and/or draft pick, Malone's agent signaled last night that his client was not interested in such a deal and that Malone would rather wait to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Fucking up everything
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #122
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola,

Glenn Anderson and Igor Larionov into HHOF, along with linesman Ray Scapinello and former WHL pres Ed Chenowyth.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #123
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this may be old hat but i never knew it before. from cnnsi:

Contrary to some published reports, Hasek forced his own way out of Buffalo in a messy "divorce" in which he orchestrated his trade to Detroit and only Detroit by telling Sabres general manager Darcy Regier that he would only accept the Red Wings and if Regier didn't make it happen, he would retire. When Regier got into serious negotiations for the two-time Hart Trophy- and six-time Vezina Trophy-winner, he was severely hampered in his bargaining position by a call from Hasek in which the goalie told the GM that if he continued to ask a high price and thereby weaken the Red Wings as a Cup contender, he would retire and the Sabres would get nothing.
Regier confirmed all of this shortly after the deal went down, explaining why the Sabres only received a player (Vyacheslav Kozlov) and a draft pick. Given all the Sabres had been through with Hasek, Regier was not a happy man.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #124
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
this may be old hat but i never knew it before. from cnnsi:

Contrary to some published reports, Hasek forced his own way out of Buffalo in a messy "divorce" in which he orchestrated his trade to Detroit and only Detroit by telling Sabres general manager Darcy Regier that he would only accept the Red Wings and if Regier didn't make it happen, he would retire. When Regier got into serious negotiations for the two-time Hart Trophy- and six-time Vezina Trophy-winner, he was severely hampered in his bargaining position by a call from Hasek in which the goalie told the GM that if he continued to ask a high price and thereby weaken the Red Wings as a Cup contender, he would retire and the Sabres would get nothing.
Regier confirmed all of this shortly after the deal went down, explaining why the Sabres only received a player (Vyacheslav Kozlov) and a draft pick. Given all the Sabres had been through with Hasek, Regier was not a happy man.

Well, if it makes Darcy feel any better, I believe the Sabres also got an additional first round pick because the Wings won the Cup in 2002!

That's win-win, baby!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #125
Pyser
Pro Rookie

The Philadelphia Flyers announced Wednesday that they have traded the rights to forward Vaclav Prospal to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for a seventh round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and a conditional pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #126
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That works...they weren't going to sign him anyway.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
That works...they weren't going to sign him anyway.

Don't worry about it, he'll be back in a couple of years...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #128
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Richards has started his offseason workout...

Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #129
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Bizarre rumor today...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,88994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Garrioch
The Penguins are trying to make a blockbuster move before tomorrow night's NHL draft at Scotiabank Place. League sources say Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero offered all-star centre Evgeni Malkin to the Kings for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and a player, possibly centre Mike Cammalleri.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

That is really weird. Malkin was a MVP candidate. Sure, he struggled in the last several games of the playoffs, but he's only 21 years old and a great talent. I know those defensemen are supposed to be pretty good, but if this was offered to me and I was the Kings' GM, I think I'd bite. It's quite a gamble to think any of those defensemen you could take at #2 would be better than Malkin.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #131
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

"Posted by Bruce Garrioch"

'nuff said.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #132
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
"Posted by Bruce Garrioch"

'nuff said.
True. But Garrioch gets half his "scoops" from Roy Mlakar, who is still heavily connected to the Kings.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #133
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
True. But Garrioch gets half his "scoops" from Roy Mlakar, who is still heavily connected to the Kings.

Which likely means that he's leaked a false rumor in order to try to get more in return from another club for that 2nd overall pick.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #134
Pyser
Pro Rookie

jesus, why would the kings have not accepted that.

part of me says no way in hell thats true.

the other part of me says the kings are so awful at what they do theyd actually turn that down.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #135
Pyser
Pro Rookie

has bettman done ANYTHING good for hockey??

now this, which even as a devils fan i find ridiculous:

NEW YORK - The NHL is threatening to kick the owners of the New York Rangers out of the league as punishment for accusing league officials of violating antitrust laws.

The NHL filed court papers Wednesday that included a draft letter from commissioner Gary Bettman proposing discipline against Madison Square Garden, L.P., that could lead to suspension or termination of its ownership of the Rangers.

In its court filing, the NHL asked a judge to agree Madison Square Garden breached its contract by challenging league rules.

Madison Square Garden sued the NHL in September, saying it violated antitrust laws by monopolizing control of team promotions. A judge ruled in November that the league seemed within its rights to take control of the team's website.

Madison Square Garden, L.P., which is owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., owns the Rangers, the NBA's New York Knicks, the WNBA's New York Liberty and several venues, including Madison Square Garden - the home of the Rangers, Knicks and Liberty.

Messages left with Madison Square Garden officials were not immediately returned.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #136
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Let's Go Rangers!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #137
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
has bettman done ANYTHING good for hockey??
I just wrote a blog post about this. Basically, while the NBA, NFL and MLB are bending over backwards to make sure the big market teams stay strong, the NHL wants to pick fights with them. Don't froget Bettman is also busy trying to run interference against the Leafs hiring Brian Burke.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #138
Logan
Head Coach

Bettman also hand-picked Boots Del Biaggio to be the next golden boy owner, vouching for him and having him pick up a large share of the Predators before eventually getting his own team to move to Kansas City.

The guy has now filed for bankruptcy after the FBI and a bunch of banks came after him for fraudulently obtaining loans.

Good job Gary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #139
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe the Rangers should just move to KC. I hear they have a nice new arena.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #140
Pyser
Pro Rookie

"You guys make up more stuff than I can ever imagine," Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Thursday. "I heard a rumour last night that Pittsburgh was moving one of their star players. I talked to their manager today to see if I could be included in the discussions and they kind of laughed at me."
Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just wrote a blog post about this. Basically, while the NBA, NFL and MLB are bending over backwards to make sure the big market teams stay strong, the NHL wants to pick fights with them. Don't froget Bettman is also busy trying to run interference against the Leafs hiring Brian Burke.

Heh...good thing, too. Wouldn't want a pesky little thing like contract law to be the only thing standing in his way!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #142
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh...good thing, too. Wouldn't want a pesky little thing like contract law to be the only thing standing in his way!
Good point. What fan could root for a guy who didn't honor his contract?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good point. What fan could root for a guy who didn't honor his contract?

Do you want me to pull up my quotes where I say I flat don't like the guy?

And obviously, you're fine with it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #144
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you want me to pull up my quotes where I say I flat don't like the guy?
So you're saying you don't root for the guy? Or his team? Meaning you don't root for the Ducks? Pretty interesting comment, coming from a Ducks' fan!

(Having won argument on internet through sheer force of brain power, runs around unsuccessfully looking for somebody to high-five.)

OK, I see what you're saying. We're still stealing your GM, though.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, I see what you're saying. We're still stealing your GM, though.

Heh...no, you're taking our sloppy seconds after we let him go.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #146
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh...no, you're taking our sloppy seconds after we let him go.

Wouldn't it be more like thirsty thirds at this point?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #147
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
(...runs around unsuccessfully looking for somebody to high-five.)

You could've just said you pulled a Cam Neely.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #148
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You can scratch Jeff Carter's name off the list of potential trade bait this weekend. Sources are telling Sportsnet that Carter has agreed to a three-year deal with the Philadelphia Flyers that is believed to pay him no less than $15 million.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #149
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dola.

The best part of this deal is that after this contract Carter will still be a RFA.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #150
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Double dola..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2412...s=secStory_nhl

Quote:
REPORT: RUSSIAN LEAGUE TO OFFER MALKIN BIG MONEY CONTRACT
If the new Russian professional hockey league has its way, the National Hockey League career of Hart Trophy candidate Evgeni Malkin will be pretty short.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, the Russian teams are prepared to offer the Russian-born Malkin a contract that would make him the highest-paid hockey player in the world. The multi-year contract would be worth at least $12.5 million tax free per season, or the equivalent of $15 million per year in the NHL.

"Hey, we can afford to pay more than the NHL right now," a high-ranking executive with the Russian league, called the Continental League, told the Star. "Our economy is commodities-based so we're not going through the same problems that you have in America."

The Continental League executive confirmed to the Star that some teams have already offered contract to some players that are already under contract to NHL clubs.

According to the executive, the league is not worried about the NHL legally contesting any contract offers

"What happened with Malkin when he came to the NHL?" the official said.

Malkin was drafted by the Penguins in 2004, but remained in Russia because his club team argued he already had an existing contract. When Malkin eventually joined the Penguins, his club team unsuccessfully filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL, again insisting he already had a contract in Russia.

However, International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel was quick to respond that any tampering with a player currently under contract could be met with consequences.

"Although there will be no imminent Player Transfer Agreement between the IIHF and the NHL, all involved parties are in principal agreement to honour each other's contracts," says Fasel. "The NHL has informed the IIHF that this will be the policy of the league during the period without a PTA, and conversely, the IIHF has obligated its member national federations and leagues to do the same in its relations with the NHL."

"We would view any signing, from either side, of a player under a valid contract, who does not have any legally valid out-clause, to be a clear violation of the mutual understanding and existing principle. It would potentially be punishable with suspended national team eligibility and suspension from all competition or activity organized by the IIHF or any IIHF member national association. This would include events like the Olympic Winter Games, the IIHF World Championship or international club competitions like the Champions Hockey League."

"Given this, we are confident that the report is not substantiated."

Malkin is eligible to sign an extension with the Penguins as of July 1st. However, should the two parties not agree to terms, Malkin would become a restricted free agent following next season.