Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #101
Icy
Pro Starter

Only 24 to 45 hours to finish?? and it gets a 10 for that?????????

Last edited by Icy : 04-25-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They aren't the only ones. The first few reviews on Gamerankings.com have all been perfect 10's, A's, etc.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Previous games in the series have had hundreds of hours of side quests such as finding objects, doing spectacular jumps, collecting different types of cars, etc. This version will have all of that, plus a variety of MP modes.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-25-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #104
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Previous games in the series have had hundreds of hours of side quests such as finding objects, doing spectacular jumps, collecting different types of cars, etc. This version will have all of that, plus a variety of MP modes.

Agreed, the side stuff makes up a ton of the game. They said story line only, so that is hammering straight through and not messing around at all. I mess around a good amount, it's too much fun to do it. With new graphics, a bunch of buildings to go into, it may be worse for me in this version.

Last edited by Cringer : 04-25-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #105
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, does anyone actually do just the main storyline in GTA?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #106
Anthony
Banned

what loser has the time to spend "only" 45 hours on a game? as evidenced by the "how many games have you beat/finished" thread, people just don't finish an awful lot of games. i know i don't. with the handful of A+++ games that come out every year, not to mention the regular "must-have" games, who really has the time to devote more than 24 hours to a storyline, let along 45+ hours to one game? you really got be a friggin good for nothing loser to want to spend that much time on one game. not to mention GTAIV has multiple MP modes that seem like they're gonna be more fun than playing single. i know i'm not bothering with single player mode if i can help it. MP mode should provide hundreds of hours of gameplay alone.

anyway, some people got too much time on their hands.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-25-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #107
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't care for the story of GTA games at all, I just like to run around and do whatever I want. In fact, my biggest gripe is that I never get to see half of the cities because I can't be bothered to drudge through the story to unlock them.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #108
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what loser has the time to spend "only" 45 hours on a game?

i know i'm not bothering with single player mode if i can help it. MP mode should provide hundreds of hours of gameplay alone.

anyway, some people got too much time on their hands.

nice.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #109
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gold
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #110
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
nice.

Indeed, saying that playing for 45 hours a game is for losers but then claiming to play hundreds...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That makes it a long game compared to some recent offerings that were 10 hours or less.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #112
Anthony
Banned

point being - you're gonna complain there's only 45ish hours worth of gameplay when in MP there's an unlimited amount of gameplay, which is where most of the fun is sure to be anyway.

per a previous thread, most people don't finish games these days so what's the point of complaining if a game only has 45 hours of storyline? COD4 only has like 10 hours i think and i still haven't finished the solo campaign cuz i spend all of my time playing MP.

a 45 hour storyline is a long fucking time. that's about as long as watching the LOTR trilogy back to back 3 or 4 times, and how many times have any of you done that recently?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #113
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I just hit 8 days of game-time on COD 4 yesterday. I don't know if I'm proud/ashamed of that I'm hoping GTA will be a welcome distraction from that game. It's a different type of game, so I think I'll be able to add GTA to my current rotation of COD 4, Rock Band, and College Hoops 2k8.

Can't wait til the midnight release on Monday night
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #114
Flasch186
Coordinator

according to FM's timekeeper Ive played the game for:

56 days, 6 hours, and 33 minutes

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #115
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
according to FM's timekeeper Ive played the game for:

56 days, 6 hours, and 33 minutes

Have you finished the storyline yet?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #116
Flasch186
Coordinator

Well I moved from the SPL to coach NY in the MLS and absolutely hate it. The YI and SI, dev contracts are all a bit much for me and the idea of not having a shot at UEFA is just killing me so Im looking for an opportunity to cross the pond again.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #117
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Ok, I've decided on the Xbox360 platform of GTA IV(already pre-ordered).
I'm going to up my price range and go with the
Xbox360 Elite(120gb hard drive) for $449+ change.

PS3 and its features+ reviews, didn't impress me.
Blu-Ray is nice, but not a feature I really need.

I now have my Xbox360 Elite, now just waiting on release of GTA IV.

I picked up an inexpensive copy of Saints Row to tie me over 'til then.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of comparison talk between the 360/PS3 version. Generally, the PS3 version is getting the nod with less pop-in, less framerate issues, and shorter load times. It appears that the differences, although noticable, are relatively minor and that both versions are very good.

One concern that has been noted in several reviews is that any 360 console without a HDD will see more problems in the graphics department. There's no way to cache data in advance as you proceed through the town, so the system has to load the data directly from the disc, which results in screen tearing, frame-rate issues, and noticable pop-in.

Below is a thread from Neogaf. Initial poster does a pretty good job of posting the relevant quotes from the various reviews. Also noted in the thread is a link to where the rumor that the 'DLC for the 360 will be as big as San Andreas' came from. Evidently, that's not the case, which shouldn't be surprising as most people noted earlier in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286527

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-28-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #119
wade moore
lolzcat

So I wasn't really paying much attention to this game. I played GTA I like crazy back in the day and then put some time into GTA II, but not a whole lot. Never even played GTA III.

Then a buddy of mine sent me a long video review for GTA IV and explained the MP features.

WHY DIDN'T I PRE-ORDER THIS GAME?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #120
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You never played GTA III?!! You need to get on that!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #121
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Lots of comparison talk between the 360/PS3 version. Generally, the PS3 version is getting the nod with less pop-in, less framerate issues, and shorter load times. It appears that the differences, although noticable, are relatively minor and that both versions are very good.

One concern that has been noted in several reviews is that any 360 console without a HDD will see more problems in the graphics department. There's no way to cache data in advance as you proceed through the town, so the system has to load the data directly from the disc, which results in screen tearing, frame-rate issues, and noticable pop-in.

Below is a thread from Neogaf. Initial poster does a pretty good job of posting the relevant quotes from the various reviews. Also noted in the thread is a link to where the rumor that the 'DLC for the 360 will be as big as San Andreas' came from. Evidently, that's not the case, which shouldn't be surprising as most people noted earlier in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286527

Blah blah blah blah blah.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You never played GTA III?!! You need to get on that!

Agreed. San Andreas is still a lot of fun. I put it in the other day and played it. I also have the 'Hot Coffee' version of the game (voyeurs be jealous).
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #123
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Bioshock was less and was clearly a 10. COD4 got knocked down to a 9 by most because of the shortness of the game, but it's one of the few games that get dropped for that.

24 to 45 hours for a graphical game is a long, long game. That doesn't count the side quests or the just running around the city blowing crap up. Nor does it include multiplayer. Especially when we are looking at how sensational this game is graphicaly.

I think Bioshock took me about 15 to finish the first time. GTA will be at least 2x that for single player. I think a 10 is reasonable if the game is as good as they say it is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Bioshock was less and was clearly a 10. COD4 got knocked down to a 9 by most because of the shortness of the game, but it's one of the few games that get dropped for that.

24 to 45 hours for a graphical game is a long, long game. That doesn't count the side quests or the just running around the city blowing crap up. Nor does it include multiplayer. Especially when we are looking at how sensational this game is graphicaly.

I think Bioshock took me about 15 to finish the first time. GTA will be at least 2x that for single player. I think a 10 is reasonable if the game is as good as they say it is.

Agreed. If GTA's main story line is 25-45 hours, you can bet that most people will take 50-60 hours to go through it, with completion of all of the side quests moving even higher that that. I'll honestly be lucky to finish this game. It's going to take a lot of gameplay sessions to get it done.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #125
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Any storyline longer than 10 hours is likely not getting finished by me.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #126
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Agreed. San Andreas is still a lot of fun. I put it in the other day and played it. I also have the 'Hot Coffee' version of the game (voyeurs be jealous).
Yeah.. GTA II felt a lot like GTA I from a different angle from me so I grew kind of bored with it.

Then I just wasn't in a big video-gaming phase when GTA III was popular, etc, etc - anyway..

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #127
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Any storyline longer than 10 hours is likely not getting finished by me.

EXACTLY. i can barely finish a 10 hour storyline. anything longer than 24 hours is a waste of my time. that is, unless, its a game with a huge world and if i just wanna have a game to pop into and walk around and see/do random stuff. but my attention span/interest level in completing an epic storyline is not what it used to be. i don't have as much free time to devote to video gaming as i used.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #128
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
EXACTLY. i can barely finish a 10 hour storyline. anything longer than 24 hours is a waste of my time. that is, unless, its a game with a huge world and if i just wanna have a game to pop into and walk around and see/do random stuff. but my attention span/interest level in completing an epic storyline is not what it used to be. i don't have as much free time to devote to video gaming as i used.

Agreed. I don't know the last time I "beat" a game. But that's ok with me - especially with a game like GTA that has an open world and what seems like it's going to be very fun MP play.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #129
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I actually think I enjoy the setting of GTA III more. Dunno why, but Liberty City is just fun... I think that's why the setting of GTA IV is Liberty City too... though I am interested to see the other cities that get added on in the GTA IV series (they've done Miami and SoCal... maybe revisit London? Chicago? Boston? Atlanta?)
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #130
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I know you've said multiple times that you don't care about the storyline, that you just want to sandbox it, etc. . . I just have to warn you a little. With the GTA series, the bridges usually block parts of the town until you hit a certain spot in the story. You also can't get the 6 stars and have the SWAT team and FBI come after you until you've gotten through a portion of the story. This isn't an especially long time with past GTA games (Maybe 3 hours of gameplay or so, sometimes a bit more), but it is there. To get the full sandbox mode enjoyment, it's usually adviseable to get through about 1/4 to 1/2 of the story, which is going to put you between 6 to 13 hours by the looks of it.

I'm sure the MP overrides a lot of this, but it's still something you should be aware of if you want to just have fun in single player mode. (Typically I play the game until everything is unlocked and then alternate between missions, side missions and blowing up the town)
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #131
wade moore
lolzcat

I just realized, I'm mistaken.

I played GTA III - I just didn't play San Andreas.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #132
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I know you've said multiple times that you don't care about the storyline, that you just want to sandbox it, etc. . . I just have to warn you a little. With the GTA series, the bridges usually block parts of the town until you hit a certain spot in the story. You also can't get the 6 stars and have the SWAT team and FBI come after you until you've gotten through a portion of the story. This isn't an especially long time with past GTA games (Maybe 3 hours of gameplay or so, sometimes a bit more), but it is there. To get the full sandbox mode enjoyment, it's usually adviseable to get through about 1/4 to 1/2 of the story, which is going to put you between 6 to 13 hours by the looks of it.

I'm sure the MP overrides a lot of this, but it's still something you should be aware of if you want to just have fun in single player mode. (Typically I play the game until everything is unlocked and then alternate between missions, side missions and blowing up the town)

thanks for the info. i've never played a GTA game long enough to unlock bridges to other areas (that i know of). i start getting caught up in random/free mode too easily.

i can't remember - can you crash into people with your car or run them over?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #133
Logan
Head Coach

I hope I don't have to run all over the city tomorrow to find an unreserved copy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #134
Anthony
Banned

there's a Gamestop closeby to me who are doing one of those midnite things for people who preordered. i wonder if i were to stop by tonite without a preorder if they'd sell it to me.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm going to try to hit the Circuit City near my house. Would be nice to get the game with a $10 gift card.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #136
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's some geek links. First, the Best Buy locations that will host midnight launches.........

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

Next, an 'unboxing' video of the Special Edition version of the game.......

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/208163.html
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #137
Anthony
Banned

word to mother! best buy near me is doing a midnite launch too. only thing that sucks is they don't take trade-ins, which i need to do in order to bring the price down.

by the time i actually get it, if i were to get it, i wouldn't be able to play it much. i just wanna make sure i have it. odds are extremely high that there'll be more than enough copies available that a preorder wouldn't be necessary.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #138
Icy
Pro Starter

Most of shops in Spain are starting to sell it today. It all started when some small shops sold it, so everybody started to blame the big game shops chains even showing scanned tickets. The rumor is spreading so fast and more and more shops are starting to sell it early as their customers where cancelling the preorders to buy it in nearby small shops.

I'm thinking on calling the shop where i had it preordered to push them to sell it to me now too but... beign 32 years old i would feel ashamed of pushing a games shop employee younger than be to sell me a console game in advance like if it was something urgent.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #139
Kodos
Resident Alien

My Amazon copy mailed today, but I didn't choose one of the fast shipping options. I can wait.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #140
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
thanks for the info. i've never played a GTA game long enough to unlock bridges to other areas (that i know of). i start getting caught up in random/free mode too easily.

i can't remember - can you crash into people with your car or run them over?

I strongly advise getting to the point where all of the bridges are unlocked, the extra driving space is useful when you are trying to shed FBI agents.

Yes, you can run over people with your car, knock other cars off the road and my personal favorite, slam into motorcycles and send the driver flying.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #141
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Elite is definitely the best option if you're going to get a 360. Just be sure to save the receipts and purchase the 3 year extended warranty as EF27 mentioned.

Doesn't it already come with a 3 year? Like the 2 they added to the original 360?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Doesn't it already come with a 3 year? Like the 2 they added to the original 360?

That only covers the RROD issue. An extended warranty will cover any issue and will also get you a replacement unit immediately from the store (depending upon which store you buy it from) as opposed to waiting weeks/months for Microsoft to send you a new unit.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #143
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I don't care for the story of GTA games at all, I just like to run around and do whatever I want. In fact, my biggest gripe is that I never get to see half of the cities because I can't be bothered to drudge through the story to unlock them.

That's pretty much my story with most games. I hate that fact that you have to work to get see all the game. I wish they would stop that type of crap...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #144
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well then actually do some of the story .

It's their way of getting you to do what they spent a ton of time coming up with, ya jerk!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #145
Icy
Pro Starter

Here are the supposed problems with the 360 version and lack of HD catching that makes objects to appear all the sudden in the screen (comes from a sony fans website so... also the guy driving has really bad reflexes):

Last edited by Icy : 04-28-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #146
Kodos
Resident Alien

"This tree just came out of nowhere and hit me!"
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #147
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Here are the supposed problems with the 360 version and lack of HD catching that makes objects to appear all the sudden in the screen (comes from a sony fans website so... also the guy driving has really bad reflexes)

To be fair, those videos weren't created by that site. They just picked up on it and reposted them. Pretty sure that the original source was either the GTA Forums or Neogaf.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #148
MikeVic
Head Coach

Bad reflexes, but I agree that's not great.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Icy, I'm assuming you don't have the game yet? I'm interested in your online experience since the PS3 version has region-free online play. Wanted to see if there was any major lag when playing on the North American servers.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #150
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Teleporting trees.

LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!