Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #101
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was gonna go with McGwire next, to put it in perspective just how huge it was, I was in China and it was on the front page of the newspaper there.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Look at the Soccer Thread or MLS thread. There are FAR more people interested in soccer on these boards than you realize .

And it's quite famous for folks who aren't rabid soccer fans as well, but casually know about it.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #103
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I think "choke" is probably the best one, but in the past few years the whole "Bucker got a raw deal" argument has gained a lot of steam. It would have been a hit anyways, he shouldn't have been out there with his bad back, why don't the pitchers get more of the blame, etc.

All of that is fine and I can see those points towards the whole picture of the 1986 World Series. To me, the most important part of that moment isn't necessarily getting the 3rd out. If Buckner fields the ball and Mookie does beat him to 1st base, it's atill all good since the winning run would not have scored, giving the Sox another chance to get the 3rd out.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

I'm actually hoping some of my favorite moments don't get picked so I can get the satisfaction of describing them at the end.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #105
Schmidty
Coordinator

3.2 - NC State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball to win the 1983 NCAA Title game. (Upset)

I'm happy with this one in the 3rd round.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-15-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added the type of pick (Upset)
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
3.2 - NC State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball to win the 1983 NCAA Title game.

catergory?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #107
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
catergory?

I added it before you even said anything.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

3.3 Muhammed Ali lights tourch at 1996 Olympics in Atlanta- Emotion

not a dry eye watching. Possibly the most popular athelete in the last 50 years of the century shaking uncontrolably but still looking as powerful as ever and still exuding strength and confidence.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #109
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This seems like as good a time as any to admit that I missed this live because I was rubbing one out to a very softcore Skinemax flick. True story. Good pick though.

I'm not sure there's ever a good time to admit this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #110
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

not a dry eye watching. Possibly the most popular athelete in the last 50 years of the century shaking uncontrolably but still looking as powerful as ever and still exuding strength and confidence.

Damn. That was my next pick.

I read a Jemele Hill article on ESPN the other day that reminded me of it.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
3.2 - NC State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball to win the 1983 NCAA Title game. (Upset)

Gah. i wanted this. Great pick.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #112
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Honestly, my reaction to this event was WTF? Couldn't they get someone better?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #113
Radii
Head Coach

Is something that happened during the Opening Ceremonies our first instance of "Does that really qualify as something that could/should be picked at all?" Great, great moment, but I wouldn't have touched it here, it didn't happen during a game/specific olympic event. This would be the same as emotional moments that happen during halftime or between innings, etc, which i don't think count.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #114
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Is something that happened during the Opening Ceremonies our first instance of "Does that really qualify as something that could/should be picked at all?" Great, great moment, but I wouldn't have touched it here, it didn't happen during a game/specific olympic event. This would be the same as emotional moments that happen during halftime or between innings, etc, which i don't think count.

My impression was that as long as the moments pertained to sports, they were fair game. Otherwise, these picks could get pretty boring by the last few rounds.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, Cal Ripkin's famous "run" when he broke Gehrig's record happened in the middle of the 5th inning, IIRC, when the game became official.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Honestly, my reaction to this event was WTF? Couldn't they get someone better?

you are soulless
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #117
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If maple leafs says the pick doesn't count I have another one on deck but I think part of these drafts is being creative and if the overall olympics isn't considered a sporting event I'm not sure what is.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #118
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
you are soulless

And clearly anti-American.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #119
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, lighting the torch signifies the official start of the Olympics...so him doing so would then be the first true moment of the Olympics. Right?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #120
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
And clearly anti-American.

how so??
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #121
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
If maple leafs says the pick doesn't count I have another one on deck but I think part of these drafts is being creative and if the overall olympics isn't considered a sporting event I'm not sure what is.

I think the rule ML made is pretty clear.

" For the purpose of this draft, a "sports moment" is something that happens in the context of a sporting competition. It happens on the field of play, either during the game or immediately before/after"

I don't think the opening ceremonies for the Olympics qualifies as a "sporting competition".

Last edited by sabotai : 05-15-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #122
sabotai
General Manager

3.4 Peter Rose hits his 4,192nd career hit to break Ty Cobb's all-time hit record on September 11th, 1985 (Record-Breaking)

Ty Cobb's all-time hits record stood for nearly 60 years until Pete Rose hit a single into left-center field on September 11th, 1985 for his 4,192nd hit of his career. Think of all the great players that played the game between Ty Cobb's career and Pete Rose's. None of them could break 4,000 hits (Hank Aaron was closest with 3,771 hits), let alone get within range of Cobb's all-time record, until Peter Rose came along. No active player is anywhere near challenging the record.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-15-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #123
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I always like Pete Rose, maybe it's because my Aunt had a baseball signed by him or that he appeared in the WWF, I dunno.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

maybe we need to hold off on picking until we get a ruling?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #125
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
This seems like as good a time as any to admit that I missed this live because I was rubbing one out to a very softcore Skinemax flick. True story. Good pick though.

I was in a bar at a bowling alley. When he hit tha ball I was scream "Get out! Get out!". Everyone in the bar was looking at me all weird. One dude asked me what happened. When I told him everyone shrugged and went back to what they were doing.

This bowling alley was in Montgomery, Alabama.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-16-2007 at 07:28 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #126
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Since Sean took my pick, and I might add told me one time a few years ago that the Miracle on Ice was no big deal to Canadians, I'll let it slide this time. My pick..

March 28, 1992. Philadelphia Spectrum, NCAA East Regional Finals. Duke vs. Kentucky. Christian Laettner played the perfect game. He was 10 for 10 from the field and 10 for 10 from the free throw line. With 2.1 seconds left Laettner receives a full court pass from Grant Hill fakes one way, does a turn a round jumper the other way. Swish. Good. Duke goes on to win that game and eventually the national championship that year. I was so excited after that shot I jumped on my bed and fell right through it. I also put a hole in the roof.

1.9 The Clutch Shot by Christian Laettner to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992.

I became a Duke fan the year before this when they beat the undefeated UNLV team. I was watching this game at my aunt's house. She lived in a trailer at the time and when Laettner made this shot I jumped up off of the couch and put my head through her ceiling.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #127
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey guys...

Quick ruling, I'll go into more detail when I get into work. I don't think Ali lighting the torch counts. I think I can stretch it for Ripken based on the definition I gave, but I don't see how a ceremony can be "during a game".
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #128
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
2.9 Cal Ripken breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak (Record-breaking)

Everyone considers Hank Aaron's HR record to be the biggest record in sports, but Gehrig's record was the most "unbreakable", and in my opinion, the most admirable.

To me, a record like this is much more difficult and deserving of respect than a the HR record. But that's just me (and the fact that Barry will break the record, rendering it useless).

This is my single greatest sports moment. If I were picking in this draft, this would have been my #1 for sure. Growing up, Cal Ripken, Jr. was my hero. I'm sure this will be topped in a few weeks when he gets inducted into the HoF.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Hey guys...

Quick ruling, I'll go into more detail when I get into work. I don't think Ali lighting the torch counts. I think I can stretch it for Ripken based on the definition I gave, but I don't see how a ceremony can be "during a game".

well I disagree but if it is case closed I have another pick ready. I'll wait a few minutes before I make it to see if it is a definate.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-16-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #130
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I dont think my opinion matters in the decision, but I think it should count.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #131
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hi all...

I can't come up with a good reason to exclude Gerhig's speech (which was mentioned specifically in the rules and would have been a surefire first round pick) but allow Ali's torch. If anything Gehrig has a stronger case since his moment came between games, while Ali's was at a ceremony that was about sports, but wasn't an actual sport itself.

I didn't want to go so far as to disallow anything that didn't happen directly during a game since I didn't want us to get into technicalities about post-game celebrations, players taking the field, etc. But if it's not during a game, it better be pretty close. Ripken's jog around the field is about as far as I want to stretch it.

Also, a pre-emptive ruling: on the same principles, Smith and Carlos giving the black power salute on the medal podium in 1968 is also off the table, as is anything involving the hostage situation at the 1972 games.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #132
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's the draft through two round:

1.1 - "The Catch" - Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown to win the NFC Championship for San Francisco- Clutch
1.2 - Kirk Gibson walk-off homer Game 1 WS win in 1988- Drama
1.3 - The final out of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS - Comeback
1.4 - James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 - Upset
1.5 - Scott Norwood's missed FG at the end of the 1991 Super Bowl - Choke
1.6 - Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, Argentina vs England 1986 World Cup Quarter-Final - Controversy
1.7 - "Do you believe in Miracles?", the final moments of the US/USSR 1980 Olympic hockey game - Upset
1.8 - Secretariat down the stretch at the 1973 Belmont Stakes - Speed
1.9 - Christian Laettner's shot to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992 - Clutch
1.10 - Hank Aaron hits Home Run # 715 to break Babe Ruth's all time home run record - Record-breaking

2.1 - USSR defeats USA for the Olympic Gold Medal in Basketball after officials give them three chances to inbound the ball at the end of the game - Controversy
2.2 - Immaculate Reception December 23, 1972 Pittsburgh Steelers vs Oakland Raiders - Controversy
2.3 - Roger Bannister breaks the tape at the Iffley Road track to break the four minute mile - Record-breaking
2.4 - "The Play" - Cal returns a last second kickoff through the Stanford defense and their band - Comeback
2.5 - Jean Van de Velde's second shot on the last hole of the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie - Choke
2.6 - Clay Beats Liston - Upset
2.7 - Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series - Choke
2.8 - Don Larsen perfect world series game 5 1956 final out - Drama
2.9 - Cal Ripken celebrates with fans after breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak - Record-breaking
2.10 - "The Music City Miracle" - Incredible Kickoff Return by Tennessee to win the Wild Card playoff game vs Buffalo - Drama
Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #133
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well since I am getting shafted :P I guess I'll go with

3.3 - Clutch- Joe Carters walk off homerun game 6 1993 world series
Trailing by 2 runs with 1 out Carter goes yard on a 2 strike pitch to win the world series and avoid a game 7. IT was the first time a team ever won the world series with a walk off homerun while trailing.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-16-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #134
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Crapshoot is on the clock
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #135
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Crapshoot hasn't sent any picks since his original list of three. One of his initial picks is still available, but... um... it doesn't make any sense. So I'd rather give him a chance to pick for himself.

If he's not here by noon (EST) then we'll keep moving.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #136
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OK, I think we've given Crapshoot enough time to drop by. I'm just going to move on and pick for him.

His original three picks included this one: "2001 World Series - the Luis Gonzales HR".

Two problems there. For one, he doesn't say which category he wants the pick in (he's not the only one, please everyone remember to include this in future picks). Bigger issue is that I'm fairly sure he means the Series-winning hit, which wasn't a HR but a bloop single. So I have to make some assumptions on this one, but I'm going to go ahead and make this selection for him:

3.5 - Luis Gonzalez singles off of Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth of game seven to win the 2001 World Series - Clutch

Tanglewood is up.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-16-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #137
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Oops, Tanglewood had sent a pick. Here it is, with his description.

3.6 - Michael Johnson's 19.32s in the 200m 1996 Olympic final - Speed.

He beat his own previous world record by 3 full tenths of a second, a lifetime in a track race, a mark which was only reached by another athlete in June 2006. Quite simply, in the highest arena on the biggest stage, Michael Johnson ran faster than any man ever has and ever will for many, many decades. Then he faked an injury because Donovan Bailey kicked his ass.

(OK, I added one of those sentences... but the rest was Tanglewood's.)
Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #138
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My pick:

3.7 - Jesse Owens humiliates Adolt Hitler by winning gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Drama

Hitler had expected the 1936 Games to be his showcase for the superiority of the Aryan race. He had gone so far as to chastise the Americans for their use of black atheletes, who he referred to as "non-humans".

In front of a stadium filled with swastikas and with Hitler himself watching the events, Owens won the 100-meter final. He went on to also win gold in the long jump, 200-meter and the relay. There were reports that Hitler unsuccessfully pressured the Americans not to use Owens in the relay, feeling he had already been embarassed enough. Despite the political climate, many German altheletes and fans embraced Owens as a hero.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #139
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK, I think we've given Crapshoot enough time to drop by. I'm just going to move on and pick for him.

His original three picks included this one: "2001 World Series - the Luis Gonzales HR".

Two problems there. For one, he doesn't say which category he wants the pick in (he's not the only one, please everyone remember to include this in future picks). Bigger issue is that I'm fairly sure he means the Series-winning hit, which wasn't a HR but a bloop single. So I have to make some assumptions on this one, but I'm going to go ahead and make this selection for him:

3.5 - Luis Gonzalez singles off of Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth of game seven to win the 2001 World Series - Clutch

Tanglewood is up.

Sorry - West Coaster. Didn't get to work till late today. Pick works for me.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #140
digamma
Torchbearer

3.8 The Shot Heard 'Round the World. Bobby Thompson's homerun off Ralph Branca on the last day of the season to give the Giants the pennant. Drama.

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!

Last edited by digamma : 05-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #141
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

3.9 - April 15, 1947 Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to play in the MLB as he steps on the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers - Emotion

Robinson made his Major League debut on April 15, 1947, playing first base when he went 0 for 3 against the Boston Braves. In the years since his number 42 has been retired by MLB and April 15th is known as Jackie Robinson day throughout the league.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #142
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thanks to Larry, who sent along a bunch of picks to keep things moving:

3.10 - Larry Bird's steal and pass to Dennis Johnson for the last second victory in the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals - Clutch

4.1 - Mike Tyson flattens Michael Spinks in the first round - Power
Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #143
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

4.2 - Willis Reed running onto the court on May 8, 1970, during Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers in Madison Square Garden - Drama

Despite a severe thigh injury - a torn muscle - he started the game in front of a thrilled audience and scored the Knicks' first two field goals on his first two shot attempts. It was all the inspiration the Knicks needed, as teammate Walt "Clyde" Frazier went on to score 36 points. The Knicks won the game 113-99, giving New York City its first NBA title. The moment he walked onto the court was voted the greatest moment in the history of Madison Square Garden.

EDIT: For some reason I remember my dad telling me he watched this game on his first date with my mom.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-16-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #144
digamma
Torchbearer

4.3 Upset. Super Bowl III, Jets 16, Colts 7, final seconds.

The final seconds tick off the clock in Super Bowl III as the AFL Jets complete the upset of the heavily favored NFL Colts, fulfilling Joe Namath's famous guarantee.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #145
Logan
Head Coach

No disrespect to the others, but 3.7 to 4.3 have all been awesome picks, IMO, and a couple were steals.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #146
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

3.8 is the one I feel like an idiot about, especially since I'm a Giants fan.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #147
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

For my "power" play, I'll take probably the most famous play from one of the most intimidating athletes in recent memory.

4.4 - Lawrence Taylor breaks Joe Theismann's leg on MNF - Power
Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #148
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tanglewood's pick:

4.5 - Aryton Senna's crash at Imola 1994 - Emotion

Possibly the greatest race driver ever in one of the most horriffic accidents in motorsport history. The vulture circling of the TV cameras amplified throughout the world the dreadfuly slow medical response as Senna sat motionless in his utterly destroyed Williams. Not that it mattered. As he impacted the concrete barrier at 135 mph a wing from his cars suspension snapped and struck him on the helmet, which completely caved. Whilst his heart was still beating and he was breathing as he left the track in a Medivac he had suffered severe brain haemorrages and was all but dead immediately from the impact. His death and Ratzenburger's earlier at the same meeting were the catalyst for a severe rethink in F1 and a tremendous overhaul of saftey standards that has undoubtedly saved many, many lives in the preceeding 13 years of the sport. It's a shame that such a great sportsman, and an even greater human being, had to pay with his life for such basic reform to take place.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #149
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Leave it to Maple Leafs to put the spotlight on a coke addict.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #150
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Leave it to Maple Leafs to put the spotlight on a coke addict.
There is no proof that Theismann ever used cocaine.