Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #101
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good first period by Detroit. Took the physical play to the Flames and had them reeling with a lot of pressure in the offensive zone. Calgary is getting called for a lot of the clutching and grabbing and they're looking tentative.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #102
RendeR
Coordinator

Hasek is a traitourous pig with no team loyalty whatsoever.

I hope the wings crash and burn for that and a number of other reasons

Go FLAMES!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #103
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA:

LETS GO SA-BRES
lets go buffalo!
LETS GO SA-BRES
lets go buffalo!!!
LETS GO SA-BRES
lets go buffalo!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #104
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hasek would be much cooler if i never had to hear him talk again.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #105
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kipper with a HELLUVA save on a Wings 2 on 1. Should be 3-0 after that. Simply amazing.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #106
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jesus. Kipper highlight reel in the last two minutes.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #107
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Datsyuk gets the 27 playoff game without a goal off his back. 3-0 Wings.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #108
DeToxRox
Head Coach

4-0 Wings. Scheinder with a blast right as the Flames penalty ends.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #109
RendeR
Coordinator

SCOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEE!

1-0 Sabres!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #110
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA:

Buffalo looks freakish out there. I know the Islanders suck but we're looking downright dominant. I can only hope they carry this fresh attacking attitude all teh way to Lord Stanley's Cup!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

3-1 Rangers lead just became 3-2 as Shane Hnidy blasts one past Lundqvist.
Lots of ebb & flow in the momentum in this one so far.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #112
DeToxRox
Head Coach

shots through two:

Wings 31
Flames 12
Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

4-2 Rangers after two. Thrashers don't look terrible but some of the youngsters do seem to have some nerves in the first post-season experience.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #114
RendeR
Coordinator

C'mon Thrashers!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dupuis ... wrister ... SCORE.
Back to within 4-3 with 10 minutes left.

edit to add -- still 4-3 NY with 6 minutes left.
First playoff goal for Dupuis in 4 years, first playoff goal for Hnidy in 6 years, first playoff goal for Belanger in 6 years.

Meanwhile similar story for the Rangers - first career playoff goal for Rozsival & Marcel Hossa, first in four years for Jagr & first in three years for Nylander.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-12-2007 at 08:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rangers hang on to win Game One 4-3 despite a furious 6-on-4 rally by Atlanta in the final minute. Lundqvist was better than Lehtonen tonight, but the longer the game went the better Atlanta seemed to be, so I'm still optimistic for Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #117
RendeR
Coordinator

SCOOOORRRRRRREEEEEE!!!

3-1 Sabres!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #118
Telle
College Starter

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4-1 Sabres!!!!!!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think this one is pretty much over...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #120
Telle
College Starter

One game down, fifteen to go. GO SABRES!!!!!!!!!
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #121
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Go Rangers!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #122
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i hate my cable company.

cable went out right before the game. fuckers.

how loud should i yell when i call to complain?

time warner being the same company that turned off my center ice package for a whole week for no reason whatsoever
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #123
RendeR
Coordinator

Stop the pain, get DirecTV, I've never been happier with a service provider than I have thus far with DTV.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #124
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Obviously last night was a good start for the Wings. They really gave the Flames nothing at all. They out-worked them and matched them hit-for-hit in the physical department. After the 3rd and 4th goals, the Flames sort of became unglued and went into "send a message" mode. Things got a little nasty out there, but all in all it was fine.

Hopefully the Wings can build on this and keep the momentum. Not to look past Game 2, but the real test for the Wings will be in Calgary. If they can play like that there, then they have a very good chance in this series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #125
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Due to working late and then bowling, I didn't see any of the Devils/Lightning game. I'm encouraged to see that the Devils scored so many goals, though. For tonight, I'm really excited about Sharks/Predators, as they played a fantastic game on Wednesday. I expect that whole series to be terrific.

Also, a sick part of me hopes that the Stars and Canucks play 4 overtimes again. Can you imagine what it'd be like if these teams ended up playing nearly 14 periods of hockey in a little over 48 hours? Jeez, those guys would be so slow and tired. Their shots would probably be missing the nets. The goalies may have trouble standing up. You'd think you were watching the Blackhawks play against themselves.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #126
Green Caesar
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Rangers hang on to win Game One 4-3 despite a furious 6-on-4 rally by Atlanta in the final minute. Lundqvist was better than Lehtonen tonight, but the longer the game went the better Atlanta seemed to be, so I'm still optimistic for Saturday afternoon.

Was at the game last night. Great crowd. The Thrashers definitely outhit the Rangers all game. That could be a factor later in the series. Lundqvist was shakey at the start of the game. He was giving up a lot of rebounds ... but there were no Thrashers there to capitalize.

Looking forward to the game Saturday.
Green Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whoa. Can't say I expected this.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...thrashers.html

The decision took Kari Lehtonen by surprise.

Coach Bob Hartley has decided to start John Hedberg in goal for the Thrashers in Saturday's Game 2 of their best-of-seven first-round series. Hartley informed Lehtonen of the decision this morning, only hours after the Thrashers fell to the Rangers 4-3 in Game 1.

Lehtonen finished with 34 saves in his playoff debut, but did allow a soft fourth goal to Michael Nylander.

"I'm disappointed, of course I would like to play," Lehtonen said after Friday's practice in Duluth. "On the other hand, I just need to stay ready, I'm sure I'll be in net if we go far."

Hedberg has a lot of playoff experience, leading Pittsburgh to the Eastern Conference finals in 2001. He's ready to go.

"It's a playoff series, this is when the fun begins," Hedberg said. "We need to win this game, it's a big game for us. Everybody has to be prepared for it."
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #128
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Coach Bob Hartley has decided to start John Hedberg in goal for the Thrashers in Saturday's Game 2 of their best-of-seven first-round series. Hartley informed Lehtonen of the decision this morning, only hours after the Thrashers fell to the Rangers 4-3 in Game 1.

Lehtonen finished with 34 saves in his playoff debut, but did allow a soft fourth goal to Michael Nylander.

"I'm disappointed, of course I would like to play," Lehtonen said after Friday's practice in Duluth. "On the other hand, I just need to stay ready, I'm sure I'll be in net if we go far."

Hedberg has a lot of playoff experience, leading Pittsburgh to the Eastern Conference finals in 2001. He's ready to go.

"It's a playoff series, this is when the fun begins," Hedberg said. "We need to win this game, it's a big game for us. Everybody has to be prepared for it."

Wow. Makes two of us. Interesting decision by Hartley. Only one soft goal? Is that an accurate description of his play?

Has Hedberg seen a lot of action this year? If I recall, he played some earlier in the year (when Lehtonen was hurt), but I don't remember much after that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #129
Green Caesar
n00b

Whoa ... is right.

Quote:

Green Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #130
Pyser
Pro Rookie

along the same lines....a loss tonight, and id imagine its the last time we'll ever see Turco in a stars uniform. no pressure, buddy.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
along the same lines....a loss tonight, and id imagine its the last time we'll ever see Turco in a stars uniform. no pressure, buddy.

With that contract Turco signed I don't know where he can be traded too where he won't feel the pressure of the Playoffs. There are so little options out there that he'd have to go to a place like Florida and I don't see them making that move when they let Roberto walk.

Definetly an interesting scenario to see play out.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #132
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as Hedberg in net for the Thrashers, it seems to be Hartley is trying to catch lightning in a bottle ala Cam Ward. Except now he's reversing it by benching the Rookie for the Vet. Not sure how good an idea this is for the future but you take your chances now while ya' got 'em.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow. Makes two of us. Interesting decision by Hartley. Only one soft goal? Is that an accurate description of his play?

That might be a little bit of a gentle description, but I thought his play overall mostly improved as the game went on (after Tkachuk & I think Larsen both went & had little "settle down" talks with him). My own feeling was that he suffered from first playoff jitters as much as anything & expected him to be better on Saturday.

Quote:
Has Hedberg seen a lot of action this year?
21 games, 18 starts.

I'm not a huge Kari guy, nor do I have any discomfort about having Hedberg between the pipes. But this just seems like a strange decision, which is actually sort of par for the course with Hartley & his handling of goalies. I'm overall a pro-Hartley guy but that's one of the things I find myself questioning most about his coaching.

If you don't believe that he's already got an unannounced contract extension in his pocket, then tomorrow might very well turn out to be the deciding moment in whether Hartley returns as the Thrashers coach next season. If Moose loses and then a confidence-shaken Kari gets hammered in game three, I think that might be the end for Hartley.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #134
bob
College Starter

I think this is a really bad move by Hartley - no matter what happens (barring a 7 - 0 loss), he has to start Hedberg in Game 3. If he wins game 2, fine, but you can't keep going back and forth in the event of a loss. And if Keri was shakey b/c it was his first playoff game, imagine his first playoff game on the road in the Garden.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #135
MikeVic
Head Coach

Since when was his name John Hedberg? I always thought it was Johan Hedberg...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #136
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think this is a really bad move by Hartley - no matter what happens (barring a 7 - 0 loss), he has to start Hedberg in Game 3. If he wins game 2, fine, but you can't keep going back and forth in the event of a loss. And if Keri was shakey b/c it was his first playoff game, imagine his first playoff game on the road in the Garden.

Why not? Didn't Minnesota do this successfully with Fernandez and Roloston for years?

I know it's converntional wisdom to stay with your horse, but sometimes you have to go against the grain.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #137
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Bertuzzi's been cleared to play Sunday.

I think that means that Hudler is likely to sit.

The lines will most likely be:
Zetterberg / Datsyuk / Holmstrom
Bertuzzi / Lang / Calder
Maltby / Draper / Cleary
Franzen / Filppula / Samuelsson

While in the past two years Lang has been one of the better playoff performers, he was horrible last night and that line was nearly invisible. Babcock wont sit him, but the idea of Lang and Bertuzzi on the same line just sort of makes me nervous...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #138
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Why not? Didn't Minnesota do this successfully with Fernandez and Roloston for years?

I know it's converntional wisdom to stay with your horse, but sometimes you have to go against the grain.

Well, if the reason you are sitting him is because he looked nervous / deer in the headlights, sitting him and then starting him in hostile territory probably won't help that.

Also, this is coming as a surprise - I think it would be more successful if they knew this strategy going in.

Last edited by bob : 04-13-2007 at 02:48 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #139
Karim
College Starter

Game 1 was an absolute joke. The Flames came out as if it was just another regular season game. How can you not come out pumped for a playoff game? The Jeckyll and Hyde nature of this team is frustrating to no end. They coasted the last four games of the regular season. A perfect example was the heart NJ showed in a meaningless game against the Isles. Meanwhile, the Flames give up against the Oilers after being up 2-0 when it's announced Nashville has beaten Colorado which guaranteed a playoff birth.

This team has no heart and desire. Part of the blame has to reside with Playfair who admitted to local media during the last game against the Oilers that he can't motivate the team. It was embarrasing being a Flames fan after that debacle. I wonder how many of the 10,000 people on the season ticket waiting list were having second thoughts.

I said Detroit in 7 but I wouldn't be surprised to see a sweep. Maybe Calgary wins one at home knowing they'll be booed off the ice if they don't put in a better effort.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #140
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, if the reason you are sitting him is because he looked nervous / deer in the headlights, sitting him and then starting him in hostile territory probably won't help that.

Also, this is coming as a surprise - I think it would be more successful if they knew this strategy going in.

Hartley didn't say why he did it. could be because he thinks the Rangers have his number.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #141
kingfc22
Head Coach

Screw Nashville and their dirty play in this series. We should just knock Kariya or Forsberg out on Monday if that's the way they want this series to go.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 04-13-2007 at 10:47 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #142
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

Good performance for Turco tonight.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Far from a perfect night of hockey by the Ducks tonight, but we got the win, and that's what matters.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 AM   #144
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems to be the story in pretty much every game I have seen this year - we very rarely make things easy on ourselves. All three Wild goals in the series so far have been loose pucks in the slot that could easily have been cleared. A lot of shots that have hit the post as well, and this evening a worrying number of passes straight through the crease. Must play better to have a chance of getting out of the west this year.

If the Sharks still have Scott Parker in the organization now would be a good time to dress him and take a few runs at Forsberg & Kariya. They are in real danger of being physically played out of the series and Scott Hannan and Ryan Clowe aren't going to send much of a message.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:18 AM   #145
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Screw Nashville and their dirty play in this series. We should just knock Kariya or Forsberg out on Monday if that's the way they want this series to go.

Unfortunately, the Sharks lack the testicular fortitude to do anything like that. This series is dangerously close to turning into the Edmonton series. They won't hit back, and they don't make the Preds pay on the power play, so there's no reason for Nashville not to play dirty. Very disappointing to watch them make the same mistakes they made last year.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #146
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Meant to post this earlier...

Thursday press conference, Michel Therrien was asked if Georges Laraque needed to make more of an impact in a game that was 6-1 and out of reach, and Therrien's response-

No doubt.

Asked to expand on that, and why Laraque didn't start something, he responds again-

Maybe you need to ask him.

Interesting to see if Laraque will be in the lineup or replaced by Ronald Petrovicky, who can at least skate with some of the Sens.

But it's not all Laraque-- guys like Malone and Armstrong up front, and Orpik need to stay laying some hits too. Or this is over fast.

Still interested to see though, if the Pens take game 2 today, which will be more volatile--the Pen's psyche after getting drilled game 1, or Ottawa splitting the first 2 at home, after dominating game 1.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

About to leave for Thrashers-Rangers and thought "Let's play two" ... so since it's my son's birthday weekend (turns 9 on Monday), I just picked up a pair of tickets for tonight's ECHL Gwinnett-Texas playoff game too. Thrashers start at 3p, Gladiators at 735p, so as long as we don't go four overtimes or something, we should hit it just about right.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #148
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
About to leave for Thrashers-Rangers and thought "Let's play two" ... so since it's my son's birthday weekend (turns 9 on Monday), I just picked up a pair of tickets for tonight's ECHL Gwinnett-Texas playoff game too. Thrashers start at 3p, Gladiators at 735p, so as long as we don't go four overtimes or something, we should hit it just about right.

Awesome. Great birthday present, a hockey double-feature. A "Grindhouse" on ice if you will.

Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #149
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Asked to expand on that, and why Laraque didn't start something, he responds again-

Maybe you need to ask him.
They did ask him yesterday, and his response was "It's hard to hit anybody from the bench".

He might have added "also, it's hard to hit anybody when you can't catch them".
Old 04-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #150
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Weird stat... despite making the playoffs ten straight years and playing something like 15 series, the Senators have never held a 2-0 lead in a playoff series.