Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #101
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ouch!

Early reports indicate that Pavel Kubina is out for the year. Torn ACL. I saw the play when it happened. It didn't look good at all. An accidental knee-on-knee play and Kubina's knee buckled sideways.

Early reports appear to be wrong. Now it's being reported as an MCL sprain. Only 4-6 weeks...

More to come.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-10-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Back to back shut outs for Lehtonen, Thrashers avenge their season opening home loss by beating Tampa 1-0 on the road.

Still not much sign of offense against TB (vs Florida was obviously a different story completely), not sure what to make of the Thrashers yet, probably aren't going to know what they'll accomplish until the lines get settled.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-10-2006 at 04:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues home opener tonight vs the Bruins and I will be on the blue line 2 rows up!!! These tickets cost $108 and my buddy called to see if I wanted to go. Are you kidding me? FOR FREE? Hell YES!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #104
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The new Lehtinen-Modano-Lindros line for the Stars is looking pretty unstoppable early on this seaosn. Now if they can keep Lindros from getting more concussions....
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #105
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The new Lehtinen-Modano-Lindros line for the Stars is looking pretty unstoppable early on this seaosn. Now if they can keep Lindros from getting more concussions....

If Lindros can stay healthy (a BIG IF) I believe he could have a big season, especially alongside Lehtinen and Modano....also hopefully Miettinen and Jokinen can have good years, and maybe Turco can keep it up in the playoffs but we are looking pretty good, albeit thru 2 games and 1 period tonight up 2-0 against the kings
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #106
RGunner
High School JV

actually, tonight its Morrow-Modano-Lindros and Lindros has 2 assists and Morrow/Modano both have a goal and an assist each...pretty good start
Old 10-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #107
Karim
College Starter

Iginla scores a goal and Kipper gets the shutout. The Flames' "system" is working to perfection.

As one local scribe wrote, "Calgary is where goal scorers come to die." Exhibit A is Alex Tanguay who looks completely lost in this defence-first system.

Last edited by Karim : 10-13-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #108
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
As one local scribe wrote, "Calgary is where goal scorers come to die." Exhibit A is Alex Tanguay who looks completely lost in this defence-first system.

I don't understand how anyone can be surprised by this.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #109
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wild game in the Garden last night. Pens win 6-5, Corsby scores with 3.3 seconds left, on the PP, firing a shot of Aaron Ward's skate past Lundqvist.

Special teams take over the game after a scoreless 1st period. 7 PP goals between them, a 4-4 goal by Jagr.

And, Jordan Staal scores his first NHL goal on a shortie.
Also, one the the PP goals was a 5-3 goal by fellow rookie, 19 year old Kris "The drink of the French Canadian Astronauts" Letang.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Also, one the the PP goals was a 5-3 goal by fellow rookie, 19 year old Kris "The drink of the French Canadian Astronauts" Letang.

Ok, I admit it. That line made me laugh

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #111
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was bowling last night, so I didn't get to see the Devils beat Toronto, but the Penguins game was on at the bowling center. I wish I had paid attention at the end of the game because it would've been great to see the Rangers go down with a few seconds left.

I hope to attend at least three or four Penguins games this year. It's a little hard when tickets are kind of expensive and the arena is 35 miles away. I've already got my tickets for next Wednesday, though. The shame is that this will probably be the only time I'm cheering for the visiting team. Go Devils!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #112
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I was bowling last night, so I didn't get to see the Devils beat Toronto, but the Penguins game was on at the bowling center. I wish I had paid attention at the end of the game because it would've been great to see the Rangers go down with a few seconds left.

I hope to attend at least three or four Penguins games this year. It's a little hard when tickets are kind of expensive and the arena is 35 miles away. I've already got my tickets for next Wednesday, though. The shame is that this will probably be the only time I'm cheering for the visiting team. Go Devils!

I've got an offer you CAN'T refuse...check your PMs
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #113
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Stars color guy does a call in on the local sports network every week. It was nice to hear him talk about how well Lindros and Modano are getting along...something that didn't happen with Guerin. Team atmosphere is a huge deal, and this is the sort of thing that let's guys play up to their potential. Hopefully it will last, but having the black cloud removed will make the season much more enjoyable.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #114
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Oilers rally from 4-1 down to beat the Sharks 6-4. Ryan Smyth scores a natural hat-trick (3 straight goals) to lead the way. The strange thing is that was the THIRD natural hat-trick last night and the second in the same game! Gionta for NJ and Cheechoo for SJ got the others. Smyth also broke Gretzky's record for fastest 3 goals by an Oiler. What a night in the NHL.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #115
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
The Stars color guy does a call in on the local sports network every week. It was nice to hear him talk about how well Lindros and Modano are getting along...something that didn't happen with Guerin. Team atmosphere is a huge deal, and this is the sort of thing that let's guys play up to their potential. Hopefully it will last, but having the black cloud removed will make the season much more enjoyable.

I agree, I never though that Guerin and Modano meshed very well together, but Lindros is off to a GREAT start after 3 games, granted its early but 5 points in 3 games is something I didnt expect out of him...
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #116
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Oilers rally from 4-1 down to beat the Sharks 6-4. Ryan Smyth scores a natural hat-trick (3 straight goals) to lead the way. The strange thing is that was the THIRD natural hat-trick last night and the second in the same game! Gionta for NJ and Cheechoo for SJ got the others. Smyth also broke Gretzky's record for fastest 3 goals by an Oiler. What a night in the NHL.

I think I might have had all three of them on my yahoo fantasy team last year. I know I had Gionta and Cheechoo. I think I had mulletman too
Old 10-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #117
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I was surprised when I woke up and saw the final score. I watched the first period or so, right up to the point it was 3-1, or perhaps 4-2. San Jose looked be clicking on all cylinders there. Edmonton are reslient and have probably the deepest forward corps in the league. Roloson is good enough in goal to keep them in games and to make up for the inexperienced defense.

Phoenix is a bad team. Very, very bad. Granted the Wings scored a lot of very odd goals in their 9-2 romp, but Phoenix were just listless and lifeless. I don't know how a team with Roenick, Owen Nolan, Doan, Laraque, etc. could be so flat and emotionless. They didn't even try to generate something by hitting the Wings. There's no softer team in the league than the Red Wings and the Coyotes just tucked their tails between their legs and took their whoopings. Gretzky has to do better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a game last night, Blues wait until 4 mins is left in the 3rd period and come back to tie... then they win it in the shootout!!

I will say, Kessel looks great for Boston. He's going to be a good one. I didn't know Chara was that friggin big either.. wow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #119
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what a devils game last night. gionta had a natural hat trick in the 3rd, last one coming with 30 seconds left to tie it up at 6, then the win in the shootout.

which, really amazingly, makes it twice in their last 4 regular season games the devils have overcome a 3 goal defecit in the 3rd....though admittedly, it was WAY more impressive in the final game of the year last year, coming down from 3-0 to win not only the game, but also the atlantic division.

anyway. last 6-6 game we'll see from the devs in a long time.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #120
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
what a devils game last night. gionta had a natural hat trick in the 3rd, last one coming with 30 seconds left to tie it up at 6, then the win in the shootout.

which, really amazingly, makes it twice in their last 4 regular season games the devils have overcome a 3 goal defecit in the 3rd....though admittedly, it was WAY more impressive in the final game of the year last year, coming down from 3-0 to win not only the game, but also the atlantic division.

anyway. last 6-6 game we'll see from the devs in a long time.

Sloppiest game I have seen this year. Both goalies were awful, both teams were awful. They should have given both teams losses and noone gets any points!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #121
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Sloppiest game I have seen this year. Both goalies were awful, both teams were awful. They should have given both teams losses and noone gets any points!!!

instead, thanks to goofy NHL rules, 3 points are given out to the teams instead of 2...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #122
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
instead, thanks to goofy NHL rules, 3 points are given out to the teams instead of 2...
You mean you didn't feel like that game was magically 50% more important than all the others?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #123
bbor
Pro Starter

Any NHL game that gets 12 goals in one game is special.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #124
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....going to see the Flames and Leafs tommorrow night.Hopefully the Flames won't trap all night.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #125
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeay! Hurricanes are off the schnide! Though they tried their best to stay on it after coughing up a 3-0 first period lead. Whitney bails them out with a last-second goal to avoid OT. Moving onto Pittsburgh tomorrow night, but Orpik won't be around for his debt repayment as I understand it. I'll lay money he'll be a scratch for any games in Raleigh this year, as well.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #126
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Dola....going to see the Flames and Leafs tommorrow night.Hopefully the Flames won't trap all night.

This is a misconception. People still think they got to the Cup by trapping. They dump and chase, cycle-down low, forecheck and backcheck hard but they don't trap or do a 1-2-2 from the start of the game waiting for turnovers like you used to see with the Devils and Wild. Of course, they'll trap IF they get a lead, which is a pretty commonplace strategy.

Against the Sens, they generated many scoring chances but they just couldn't finish. I don't know what the expectations are but it's definitely defence first. They don't have free reign once they cross the blue line and if they miss defensive responsibilities, it results in decreased ice-time. This seems to make creative players fearful of making mistakes rather than taking that chance to do something special.

I'm a die hard Flames fan and will be until I die but even I will admit it really sucks to watch, even when it results in a victory. The most exciting thing to look forward to is a Phaneuf bodycheck.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #127
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I never thought he was a great acquisition, but I concede that Sutter should know a lot more than me about NHL players.

I thought Tanguay was made better by his teammates with Colorado, which is something he isn't going to get as much of with Calgary.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-14-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #128
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm a die hard Flames fan and will be until I die but even I will admit it really sucks to watch, even when it results in a victory. The most exciting thing to look forward to is a Phaneuf bodycheck.

I have been a bit of a Flames fan, despite the Oilers being my favorite team. Too often the Flames seem to suck the life out of a game. It's refreshing to see someone actually admit that when it comes to "their team."

The "Battle of Alberta" would be incredible if they brought an "up-tempo" game to the ice. It would be more like the late 80s.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #129
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
You mean you didn't feel like that game was magically 50% more important than all the others?

The extra point (though I disagree with awarding it) doesn't make a game 50% more important than any other. There are still 2 points available to the winning team and 1 point available to the losing team if they happen to not lose in regulation. Doesn't make it a good rule but the points available to all teams are the same.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #130
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
TThere are still 2 points available to the winning team and 1 point available to the losing team if they happen to not lose in regulation. Doesn't make it a good rule but the points available to all teams are the same.

I know this has probably been discussed numerous times, but what system would you rather have? My ideal one would give no points for losing and points to the winner based on the way they win:

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime win
1 point for a shootout win
0 points for losing
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #131
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I prefer keeping it simple. You win you get 2 points, you lose you get 0 points. Or if they have to award single points then 2 points for a win, 1 point for an OT or shootout win and 0 for a loss.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #132
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The extra point (though I disagree with awarding it) doesn't make a game 50% more important than any other. There are still 2 points available to the winning team and 1 point available to the losing team if they happen to not lose in regulation. Doesn't make it a good rule but the points available to all teams are the same.
But they're not. Toronto and New Jersey got to split up three points, other teams only got two.

Here's an example of how the rule isn't fair. Last year, on the last weekend of the season, the Leafs played the Senators and the Lightning played the Hurricanes. The game was important for all four teams -- the Leafs and Lightning were fighting for the last playoff spot, and the Canes and Sens were battling for first in the conference and home ice.

The Leafs beat the Sens in a blowout, and the Lightning beat the Hurricanes in OT. Now all four teams needed points desperately, but the TB/CAR game ended up being worth more than the TOR/OTT game. Why? Why should Ottawa lose ground to Carolina when they both lost, but Toronto and Tampa Bay's wins be treated the same? It doesn't make sense.

Imagine the NFL giving out a win-and-a-half for certain games. It would never happen, because it would be bush league stuff.

And for the record, I think the league should go with this sytem:
- 3 points for a regulation win
- 2 points for an OT/SO win
- 1 point for an OT/SO loss
- 0 points for a regulation loss

This would accomplish two important things that are missing from today's system:
- All games are worth the same -- three points up for grabs, every night
- Give some incentive to actually try to score at the end of regulation (instead of doing what most teams do, barring a powerplay -- sit back, do nothing and wait for OT)
Old 10-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #133
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

...I've been saying this since the Shootout was announced (and even seriously proposed).

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 10-14-2006 at 03:18 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #134
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Rednecked heretic that I am, I'd just as soon squash the points altogether and just make it wins and losses. If need be you could factor wins and losses by shootout into tiebreakers.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #135
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
...I've been saying this since the Shootout was announced (and even seriously proposed).
Yeah, I certainly didn't invent it and I think there's a lot of fans who'd prefer it to the current system. (I'd also prefer a system where every game was worth two points to what we have now.)

One argument against it is that now the old records don't mean anything. But I hear we have computers these days that could take all those old point totals and multiply them by 1.5. Instead of 100 points being considered a good season, it would be 150. It would take some getting used to, but not that much.

And besides, you wouldn't have the problem you have today where everyone's winning percentages don't even average out to .500. How is there any integrity in a system like that? Look at the Leafs right now... are they over or under .500? They've won two games and lost three, but have six points out of ten. I guess they're both.

(The one nice side effect is that so far this year, the Leafs have played five games that the NHL feels have been worth 13 points. This is mathematical proof of what I've been saying all along -- the Leafs are the most important team in the NHL!)
Old 10-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I certainly didn't invent it and I think there's a lot of fans who'd prefer it to the current system. (I'd also prefer a system where every game was worth two points to what we have now.)

One argument against it is that now the old records don't mean anything. But I hear we have computers these days that could take all those old point totals and multiply them by 1.5. Instead of 100 points being considered a good season, it would be 150. It would take some getting used to, but not that much.

And besides, you wouldn't have the problem you have today where everyone's winning percentages don't even average out to .500. How is there any integrity in a system like that? Look at the Leafs right now... are they over or under .500? They've won two games and lost three, but have six points out of ten. I guess they're both.

(The one nice side effect is that so far this year, the Leafs have played five games that the NHL feels have been worth 13 points. This is mathematical proof of what I've been saying all along -- the Leafs are the most important team in the NHL!)

In October, yes
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #137
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
In October, yes
Baby steps.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #138
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

I dislike awarding failure but otherwise I agree.

- 2 points for an OT win
- 1 point for a SO win
- 0 points for any loss
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #139
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

This sounds like a great idea, in theory. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to go back to last years standings, and apply this point system, to see how things would've looked had a different point system been employed.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #140
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I hate teams getting points for losses. Maybe its the old school in me but 3 points for a regulation win would annoy me to no end. Keep it simple.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #141
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
I hate teams getting points for losses. Maybe its the old school in me but 3 points for a regulation win would annoy me to no end. Keep it simple.

I don't think a team should get the same number of points for a win in OT or the shootout as a team that can win in regulation time. How about we just throw out regular season OT and shootouts. Ties are ties, wins are wins, losses are losses. I actually don't mind that system but apparently people in North America "don't like ties" and so we've been stuck with this 4-on-4 and shootout nonsense.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-14-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #142
klayman
College Benchwarmer

We should drop the points and just play for "funsies"
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #143
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I could handle 2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an OT win.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #144
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Phanuef continues to show hes the best defensemen in the NHL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELSZTel1oq0

What a shot.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #145
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Leafs continue to be The Most Important Team in Hockey™ with yet another three point game. Tonight, Sundin dials up the drama with a goal that is a.) the game winner, b.) short-handed in overtime, c.) his third of the game, d.) oh, also the 500th of his career.

Now this part is going to sound bad. JohnnyG, bbor, I need your backup here.

On tonight's broadcast, the CBC used Cassie Campbell on color, paired with Bob Cole. Campbell is a former member of the Canadian nation women's team. Her performance tonight was every bit as good as you would expect from someone making their debut on this sort of stage.

Which is to say, she sucked. She was absolutely terrible. Embarassingly bad.

Look, I like Cassie Campbell. She won gold medals for my country, she has really shiny hair, she's pretty cute as compared to Haley "Jeremy Roenick in a bad wig" Wickenheiser, and... um... I think that's pretty much the extent of her resume. I'm sure she's very nice. But she was freaking awful tonight.

She got confused about which player was which at least three times (I saw the third period and OT at a bar so I didn't have volume). She was completely confused by the Flames double penalty in the first. She offered no critcal comments at all (nobody made a mistake all night, apparently). And she provided all the insight that you would expect from somebody with zero NHL experience in any capacity, which is to say, none.

Please, please, don't put her on any more national telecasts. She may be very good at this someday and she deserves to have her chance at it, just like anyone else. Meaning she needs to work her way up, not get airlifted into the top job in the business so she can embarass herself.

And a note to the CBC: if you insist on using a color person who doesn't know the players, the rules, or the league: for the love of god, don't pair them with Bob Cole! I love Cole, I really do, but he tends to be ... um ... "imprecise" in his calls these days. He needs someone like Harry Neale who can subtlely correct him, not some babbling brook who's going to somehow manage to be even more wrong.

And yes, it takes this little to ruin my Saturday night.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 10-14-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thrashers win 4-3 in OT at Washington, as Kovalchuk finally gets his 1st goal of the season on a game-winning breakaway.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #147
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Now this part is going to sound bad. JohnnyG, bbor, I need your backup here.

Hey...just 'cause I fled the country doesn't mean I don't get Center Ice.

Quote:
On tonight's broadcast, the CBC used Cassie Campbell on color, paired with Bob Cole. Campbell is a former member of the Canadian nation women's team. Her performance tonight was every bit as good as you would expect from someone making their debut on this sort of stage.

Which is to say, she sucked. She was absolutely terrible. Embarassingly bad.

Look, I like Cassie Campbell. She won gold medals for my country, she has really shiny hair, she's pretty cute as compared to Haley "Jeremy Roenick in a bad wig" Wickenheiser, and... um... I think that's pretty much the extent of her resume. I'm sure she's very nice. But she was freaking awful tonight.

She got confused about which player was which at least three times (I saw the third period and OT at a bar so I didn't have volume). She was completely confused by the Flames double penalty in the first. She offered no critcal comments at all (nobody made a mistake all night, apparently). And she provided all the insight that you would expect from somebody with zero NHL experience in any capacity, which is to say, none.

Please, please, don't put her on any more national telecasts. She may be very good at this someday and she deserves to have her chance at it, just like anyone else. Meaning she needs to work her way up, not get airlifted into the top job in the business so she can embarass herself.

And a note to the CBC: if you insist on using a color person who doesn't know the players, the rules, or the league: for the love of god, don't pair them with Bob Cole! I love Cole, I really do, but he tends to be ... um ... "imprecise" in his calls these days. He needs someone like Harry Neale who can subtlely correct him, not some babbling brook who's going to somehow manage to be even more wrong.

And yes, it takes this little to ruin my Saturday night.

I was occasionally pre-occupied with kids running around and supper, so if there was some kind of lead-in to her appearance, I missed it. At first I thought it was a one-time deal (it seems there was some kind of breast cancer awareness thing going on with Stajan's girlfriend and the pink jersey thing), and I half expected she'd be gone after 5 minutes. When she didn't leave, I started wondering if this was (or would be) a permanent gig.

She seemed....out of place. I agree that a Saturday night Leaf game is an odd baptism for someone just coming into the industry. For a color commentator, she was pretty much devoid of color as far as the game itself was concerned. I noticed long stretches where she just didn't say anything to follow up Bob, and the silence was kind of awkward.

All that said, it wasn't the worst broadcasting debut I've ever seen (Mark Jones, anyone?), and it certainly didn't ruin my night. I'm sure eventually she'll be fine, but I hope they get her some experience in a spotlight that's not quite as bright.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #148
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Do you know why Candians do it doggie style?
So they can both watch CBC's Hockey Night in Canada.

Thanks you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip the wait staff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #149
bbor
Pro Starter

Why was Campbell doing the color?I was at the game so i did'nt hear her.

Simms...WTF you doing in Virginia??I was wondering why you never came by my store anymore....figured you just thought i was an annoying fuck

Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #150
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Simms...WTF you doing in Virginia??

Long story...but the short version is: my former employer in Alexandria tracked me down and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I miss T.O. a lot, but overall this is just a better situation for us.

I'll come buy some shoes when we're up for Christmas.