Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #101
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
-- Steak & Ale ... there doesn't seem to be many of these left anymore, but the one in downtown Atlanta has been a nice addition to our family dining options recently. A nice old-school throwback to what "eating out" used to be like.

There is one of these in Albuquerque, which we recently discovered. It really is very cool. I also like the Texas Roadhouse chain, solid service and generally good food. The Hooters in Albuquerque has absolutely awful food. Outback is ok, notable for croutons you can eat with a fork. Applebees/Houlihans/Bennigans/TGIFs are all pretty much the same, not anyplace I would ever pick to eat. Olive Garden and Red Lobster, I think I'd actually rather go to Wendy's or Burger King, the food is just not good.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
A bump of an older thread.

We are looking at going to The Cheesecake Factory for our first time (got a gift card). How is it? I know it's more upscale and pricer then a typical chain. I've heard it's rather nice.

As far as chains, they are all over (at the high-end level as well). Vegas has a lot of outposts of the expensive, upscale variety as well as chefs like Gordon Ramsay, Emeril, ect. opening a number of restaurants all over. It's an interesting trend.

Cheesecake is alright. The cheesecake is definitely the highlight, along with the HUGE portion sizes. It's definitely one of those places where you can go with 4-5 people when everyone wants something different, because they offer so many different kinds of cuisine - none of it OUTSTANDING, but all of it "good."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #103
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The Cheesecake Factory is great!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #104
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Cheesecake is alright. The cheesecake is definitely the highlight, along with the HUGE portion sizes. It's definitely one of those places where you can go with 4-5 people when everyone wants something different, because they offer so many different kinds of cuisine - none of it OUTSTANDING, but all of it "good."

It's an upscale brand, correct?

One thing I've always wonder is about is the high-end steakhouse chains (Morton's, Palm's, Ruth's). They all serve Prime Beef (or claim so). With so many locations, in addition to standard high-end independent steakhouses and restaurants (as well as some of the high-end stores), how does enough prime beef exist to meet all the demand? Isn't it suppose to be rare?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #105
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's an upscale brand, correct?

One thing I've always wonder is about is the high-end steakhouse chains (Morton's, Palm's, Ruth's). They all serve Prime Beef (or claim so). With so many locations, in addition to standard high-end independent steakhouses and restaurants (as well as some of the high-end stores), how does enough prime beef exist to meet all the demand? Isn't it suppose to be rare?

yes. It is an "upscale" brand I would say. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't good. I enjoy going there. My point was pretty much that "they do a lot of things very good, so therefore they do nothing great." It's like if you have one kitchen cooking asian+pizza+american+italian, they're not going to be "great" at any one thing, but they'll be very good at a bunch.

And make sure you save room for cheesecake!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #106
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

And make sure you save room for cheesecake!

And there's the genius of The Cheesecake Factory. Since they've named it after a dessert, the upsell on it is much easier -- if it had any other name, you'd be way less likely to get dessert after the huge meal.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #107
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I end up going out to eat once or twice a week with my friends for dinner, so naturally we hit a bunch of chains in the rotation. If I had to call some "favorites" though, they'd probably be Gordon Biersch and Mimi's Cafe.

I'm really not all that picky, just wouldn't call the others we go to regularly anything other than mundane. I much prefer going to the local non-chain places, but options then become limited here...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #108
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Cheesecake Factory has, in the two locations by me, declined steadily, and noticeably, in the past five years. I long felt it a good not great play for entrees but I, and my dining companions, have gotten some entrees which weren't even good in recent visits. I will not visit there for anything but desert anymore (and I don't even like cheescake).

I like Outback's Bloomin Onion a lot but the service at Outbacks, and I've been during busy and quiet times and multiple locations, is disappointing.

There's been a lot of Red Robin love. I like them well enough. Except that they, and so many other chains, refuse to cook hamburgers medium rare anymore. This is a huge deal for me. Especially at a burger place. At Chilli's or some similar place, I don't like it, but can understand it. At a burger place, it annoys me to no end as I think burgers cooked medium and above lose something in the taste department.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #109
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
A few pricier options that are excellent:

The Melting Pot
The Chart House
The Capital Grille

Darden recently bought the company that owns Captial Grille (as well as Longhorn Steakhouse)...I really need to go check the place out now that I have a 25% discount there.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We are looking at going to The Cheesecake Factory for our first time (got a gift card). How is it? I know it's more upscale and pricer then a typical chain. I've heard it's rather nice.

Food is good, but I've found that everytime I've been to one, the service has been very, very poor. I've stopped going as a result. But, YMMV.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Don't forget about the all you can eat fries at Red Robin

Last edited by Lathum : 03-29-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Since I moved a few years ago back up north I really miss Moe's, Sonic, Hardees, Krystal, Fuddruckers, Popeye's and Rally's. The faster food around here is exclusively McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC. I can only eat at Long John's so many times in a row before I mix it up and have to go back to the same burger garbage.

Boston Market was a fave, but they really fell off.

The fucking Cici's pizza within walking distance of my house closed about 6 months ago. A carryout pizza from them was always a cheap lunch at work. Yes, the buffet is usually nasty. But their carryout is significantly better.

If we go out to a chain around here, we usually go to Applebees or Golden Corral. Otherwise it's a local place.

I gotta get out of here.

Last edited by stevew : 03-29-2008 at 04:54 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #113
st.cronin
General Manager

When I was living on the East Coast, Cheesecake had a reputation for really good service. I don't believe I ever went, though.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #114
SteveMax58
College Starter

I really dig Carabbas for a no rush dinner. Between the Shrimp scampi and the Chicken Bryan...great stuff. Of course, I dont go enough to bother ordering anything different. I have been to about 8 or 9 throught the country, and service has always great.

As far as the lunch-ish type places, I'd go with Chilis.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

CiCi's is great ghetto pizza
Old 03-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #116
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Against my better judgment, I find that I really enjoy the Macaroni Grill way too much. When I first discovered one like 5 years ago, whilst short-timing in the suburbs of San Francisco, I didn't know they were a chain and built it up into something special in my mind...until a friend pointed out that it was so special that it was situated next to a PetCo, staffed by high-schoolers, and there's one in every other mall.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #117
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Cheescake is many things, but its not "upscale" by any stretch of the imagination.

I used to love a local Boston take-out chain called the "Wrap" (can you guess the food they served), now called "Boloco". Biggest thing I miss out here in CA>
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #118
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Don't forget about the all you can eat fries at Red Robin
That is a redeeming factor of Red Robin; I'm actually surprised more places don't do that. But I can't get over their hatred of properly cooked burgers.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Their food isn't really much to write home about. But it's a nice place to go if you've already eaten, done your night activity of choice, and are looking to get a late dessert. A couple of (large) slices of cheesecake and drinks are going to run you $25ish, iirc.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-29-2008 at 06:54 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #120
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I really dig Carabbas for a no rush dinner. Between the Shrimp scampi and the Chicken Bryan...great stuff. Of course, I dont go enough to bother ordering anything different. I have been to about 8 or 9 throught the country, and service has always great.

As far as the lunch-ish type places, I'd go with Chilis.

One of the co-founders of Carrabba's. Damian Mandola, recently opened up an Italian trattoria a couple of miles away from my house at his vineyard. Awesome stuff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post

I've only been to 3 different ones, but I'm definitely a fan.

SI

Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #122
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
One of the co-founders of Carrabba's. Damian Mandola, recently opened up an Italian trattoria a couple of miles away from my house at his vineyard. Awesome stuff.

What's the restaurant? Any links to it?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #123
Schmidty
Coordinator

Red Robin still sucks ass, and is possibly the worst "value for product" out there. Went there a month ago, and it's still bland and overpriced.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #124
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
What's the restaurant? Any links to it?

Trattoria Lisina. Joins The Salt Lick BBQ as the only eating establishments in Driftwood.

http://www.trattorialisina.com/
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #125
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Red Robin still sucks ass, and is possibly the worst "value for product" out there. Went there a month ago, and it's still bland and overpriced.

The only thing that I have liked at Red Robin are the Buffalo Wings. Everything else, esp. those bland, starching fried, are awful. But it is a great place to take kids, my son's favorite birthday place to go to.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #126
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Trattoria Lisina. Joins The Salt Lick BBQ as the only eating establishments in Driftwood.

http://www.trattorialisina.com/

Of course, you live in a town called Driftwood.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

54th street grill and bar is one of my favs. That gringo dip is something I crave at least once a week... and their wings are excellent.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #128
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I wish there was a Roundtable pizza here in Wisconsin. I really liked that place.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #129
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Sizzler
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #130
thesloppy
Pro Starter

{whispers} sizzzZZZzzzler

I haven't been to a Sizzler since I was like 12.

Red Lobster is some place I've never been, and I know I never will, but their commercials sure make me salivate....just tons of lobster flying all over the place and smashing into buckets of butter. I know when you get there they're serving spider or some kind of fake lobster like Krab. Lubsterfest!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I've eaten at Boston's pizza a few times whrn traveling and that was decent
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #132
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

WaffleHouse. Easily the best breakfast food ever. I just got back, not many things better to start your day than a pattymelt, hashbrowns and a waffle.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #133
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I'll put up a new one: PF Chang's China Bistro. That's good stuff.

+1

I thought this place had to be overrated/all hype until I went there. It was really that good.

I also like Friday's, which surprises me. Until PF Chang's it was really the only chain restaurant I would go to.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #134
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like Friday's alot too.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #135
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Since I moved a few years ago back up north I really miss Moe's, Sonic, Hardees, Krystal, Fuddruckers, Popeye's and Rally's. The faster food around here is exclusively McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC. I can only eat at Long John's so many times in a row before I mix it up and have to go back to the same burger garbage.

Boston Market was a fave, but they really fell off.

The fucking Cici's pizza within walking distance of my house closed about 6 months ago. A carryout pizza from them was always a cheap lunch at work. Yes, the buffet is usually nasty. But their carryout is significantly better.

If we go out to a chain around here, we usually go to Applebees or Golden Corral. Otherwise it's a local place.

I gotta get out of here.

We have a Fudd's here in Bethlehem. Gooooooood burgers

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I like Friday's alot too.

Having worked for Fridays for 12 years I have grown very sick of the menu, despite the fact that I haven't worked for them for a couple of years, but it seems like they are redoing the menu and it looks pretty good.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #137
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Granite City Food and Brewery would be my choice. Always happy with the food, the beer is decent and the staff is always great. They so need to expand out to Colorado.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Having worked for Fridays for 12 years I have grown very sick of the menu, despite the fact that I haven't worked for them for a couple of years, but it seems like they are redoing the menu and it looks pretty good.

Bruschetta Chicken Pasta is one of my favorites.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #139
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Cheescake is many things, but its not "upscale" by any stretch of the imagination.

I used to love a local Boston take-out chain called the "Wrap" (can you guess the food they served), now called "Boloco". Biggest thing I miss out here in CA>

I didn't mean upscale in terms of being fine-dining. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hooters on this forum.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-30-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hooters? None of them have hooters anymore and the food is HORRIBLE!

Edit: Oh yeah, worst wings evah!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-30-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I go to the original Quaker Steak and Lube a couple times a month. Not sure how national the chain is.

Best Wings ever.

Last edited by stevew : 03-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #142
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Hooters? None of them have hooters anymore and the food is HORRIBLE!

Edit: Oh yeah, worst wings evah!

I was making an ill-attempt joke.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #143
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was making an ill-attempt joke.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #144
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I try.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #145
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I go to the original Quaker Steak and Lube a couple times a month. Not sure how national the chain is.

Best Wings ever.

I went there once when they had an all you can eat wings night. You ordered in batches of 6 at a time. It was great!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #146
bhlloy
Coordinator

A co-worker introduced me to Farmer Boys - by far the best Chicken Sandwich I have ever had. That's my new favourite for quasi-fast food.

For something a little more upscale, PF Changs is very good as a few have mentioned. We also really like Red Lobster and California Pizza Kitchen.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #147
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Carabba's kicks ass.

There is also a place in Phoenix I went to called Claim Jumper.. Portions I couldn't fathom.. I was mad at myself because I couldn't just sit there and keep eating different things from the menu..

Along the same lines, portion wise, Bill Johnson's Big Apple West is awesome. I ordered chicken fried steak, which covered the plate.. Came with enough mashed potatoes to feed 2 or 3 people, a whole ear of corn, and like 2 or three other things I can't even recall right now, but I ate the leftovers from there for a couple days.

Lastly, Burgers n' Beer is awesome.. Good place to go with friends on Sundays in the fall.

I almost forgot my favorite burger of all time, the super big boy platter at Frisch's (Also known as Bob's Big Boy) Something about their tartar sauce has our family in a trance every time we get near one, so inevitably we eat there, then buy a few jars and move on until we come across another.. The sauce is so magnificent it has become a highly sought after gift in our family during holidays and special occasions.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-31-2008 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Had to add Frisch's Big Boy..
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #148
korme
Go Reds

Kwhit mentioned the Melting Pot, if any of you ever have a chance to eat there, do it. I try to go once a year for my birthday.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #149
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Kwhit mentioned the Melting Pot, if any of you ever have a chance to eat there, do it. I try to go once a year for my birthday.

My wife and I went this past weekend in KC. The down side is that it's pricey unless you go light on the food.

SI

Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #150
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
+1

I thought this place had to be overrated/all hype until I went there. It was really that good.

I also like Friday's, which surprises me. Until PF Chang's it was really the only chain restaurant I would go to.

Chang's is fantastic - its a little pricey but worth it.