Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will be the next Solecismic Release?
Front Office Baseball 30 12.45%
Front Office Basketball 10 4.15%
Front Office Football 6 63 26.14%
Front Office Hockey 12 4.98%
Political Sim 42 17.43%
TCY 2 68 28.22%
Other (Please Comment) 16 6.64%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #101
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
What would this game offer, though, that TCY or FOF don't? There would be no draft, no recruiting (unless you get into illicit school-zone hopping), you'd have the same 4-year limit, academic issues, girlfriends, etc., as in TCY. It would basically be TCY without the recruiting, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't mind seeing him take TCY, strip it down and make it applicable to high school, and release it in combo with a master TCY/FOF game, just so we could work our way from high school to college to pros as a coach, but otherwise, a high school-only game doesn't seem to be worth it.

There have been a number of threads about a game like this. I know SkyDog and others, including myself, have thrown a bunch of ideas out there. I think this would be a fantastic idea, and I'd definitely buy it.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #102
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

There was a thread once (I think S.D. might have started) that had lots of things a high school sim could offer. You might not have recruiting, but you would be involved in setting up feeder schools, interacting with the booster club, keeping your students passing, etc.

Perhaps your reputation might influence where new families with talented kids move to. I think there could be some good possibilities here.

But then I read the article that was posted earlier in this thread, and think that my bold prediction has already collapsed. It seems like baseball or hockey would be the safe bet based on things Jim said there.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #103
JeeberD
General Manager

I would enjoy just about any game he puts out, as long as it's not a political sim. Basketball is #1 on my wishlist, though baseball and hockey would be a blast as well...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #104
molson
General Manager

I think it's time Jim to reconsider his philosophy of secrecy around development plans, now that he is more established and has a proven track record. I understand there were issues in the past with plans changing, or unrealistic expectations, but so what? Wouldn’t it be good for sales to start a buzz around here - one that those who are just occasional visitors would pick up on? Does a casual and infrequent visitor here even know that anything is on the way, or that this company is still planning on making new games?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #105
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I think it's time Jim to reconsider his philosophy of secrecy around development plans, now that he is more established and has a proven track record. I understand there were issues in the past with plans changing, or unrealistic expectations, but so what? Wouldn’t it be good for sales to start a buzz around here - one that those who are just occasional visitors would pick up on? Does a casual and infrequent visitor here even know that anything is on the way, or that this company is still planning on making new games?

This is exactly what I have been mentioning. It's one think to drum up excitement for the people who always frequent this site. But what about the one's that only visit periodically? That doesn't apply to me, but I know that anticipation of a future known game is irreplaceable.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #106
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital
This is exactly what I have been mentioning. It's one think to drum up excitement for the people who always frequent this site. But what about the one's that only visit periodically? That doesn't apply to me, but I know that anticipation of a future known game is irreplaceable.

So we can have 900,000 "When is X coming out" or "Why isn't X out yet" threads? No thanks, been there done that.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #107
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Don't know, don't really care. It's up to him to decide what's best. There are some games on that list I will not buy at all and some that I will or might. I had originally thought that I would be interested in a political sim but as with every product of this type on the market, it becomes a micromanagement hell (similar to having to set the price for cotton candy in a football sim). My personal preference would still be Front Office Thoroughbred but Jim did not like that idea (along with a race car sim).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 PM   #108
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson

I disagree. He is still a one-man shop and it's hard enough to manage a development and release cycle without everyone screaming in his ear. Haven't his previous releases proved that his plans are best for his company?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:57 PM   #109
Dutch
"Dutch"

I prefer the secrecy. I've been waiting for Matrix Games to release Combat Leader for about 5 years now. That blows, especially if they scrap the plan altogether. I'd rather not know and be surprised.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #110
Pyser
Pro Rookie

people who are convinced that it will be tcy2 baffle me.

i get your idea, that he already has the code, but then why patch the game at all?

wouldnt it make more sense for jim to leave tcy outdated, so that if you want an up to date college sim, the ONLY option is tcy2? the only part of your guys argument that makes sense was that he was "secretely" making tcy compatible with tcy2, but after giving it some thought, that doesnt make sense, either. why wouldnt he just announce that when he announces tcy2? i dont believe he would try to get people excited about a new game by making them excited about an old version.

last year, NO ONE saw fof2004 coming. in fact, most were clamoring for other sports or tcy2, just like now. but when fof2004 was announced, the board EXPLODED.

as for what the new game will be, i dont know. but as soon as i saw that tcy was patched, my immediate reaction (as you can see in the thread) was, "wow, no tcy2." and the more i think about it, the more sure i am.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #111
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser

last year, NO ONE saw fof2004 coming. in fact, most were clamoring for other sports or tcy2, just like now. but when fof2004 was announced, the board EXPLODED.

Yeah, and the QOTM was part of the collateral damage in that explosion...

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #112
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Pyser, your argument falls down in thinking that the patch is anything significant and that it invalidates anything new or different that can be done for TCY2. As you probably have seen in the TCY2 ideas thread, there are a lot of things that can be added/changed/enhanced/etc. to TCY. The patch did not really address any of those things so a major update could still be a very real possibility, just as it had before this latest patch.

A thought: do you guys realize Jim has a near monopoly on text-based football sims? So I think either FOF or TCY would be a good bet for the company.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 PM   #113
Pyser
Pro Rookie

buc, i see what you are saying, but i really cannot understand why jim would spend ANY time bothering to update a game that would become totally obsolete in the near future. that's my main point.

and franklin, you are the only one still carrying the qotm flame, but i applaud your efforts i can never say you aren't persistant.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:07 PM   #114
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
So we can have 900,000 "When is X coming out" or "Why isn't X out yet" threads? No thanks, been there done that.

This is so true...I've read too many of these posts as well (or at least saw the useless titles)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #115
Blade6119
Coordinator

This is his income and life...why risk a new sport when you can still milk football monopoly he has
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #116
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Anybody think that Jim might be trying out "The High School Years?" Maybe TCY 1.3 is a bridge to import recruiting classes from his newest endeavor.

Edit: Ignore me, I should read the entire post before I open my mouth.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 09-14-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm swinging to a FOF 2005 now. I would think he wouldn't update TCY if a new version was coming out. (didn't someone already point that out?)

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #118
Dutch
"Dutch"

I would definately be most happy with a FOF2005 as that is my true passion here. But, I'll buy anything as long as it indirectly supports the creation of another FOF down the line.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #119
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Golf's never been done, right? Maybe it's golf?

Or perhaps a combination of TCY and FOF?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 PM   #120
Bad-example
College Starter

Did it cost Jim money to update TCY?

Jim makes a patch for TCY and sends it to Viatech. They set up a new download file for the game.

Does Viatech charge extra for the additional work on an older game?
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 PM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I would definately be most happy with a FOF2005 as that is my true passion here. But, I'll buy anything as long as it indirectly supports the creation of another FOF down the line.

Me too Dutch, I'm basically a Solecismic-ite.

My mind was foggy...

New Dateline:

Jim announces TCY update, waits a few days to see/read the reactions/speculations.

End of this week, Jim announces FOF 2005 to FOFC.

Skydog/QS sets up Q&A session about the new release.

New thread started that quickly becomes 20 pages long with questions for Jim, along with cheers and disappointments that X sim wasn't the one Jim was working on.

I spend hours on graphic files for new version, although nothing's changed in that department.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 PM   #122
TLK
Pro Starter

Anything that Jim puts out, i'm game for. I'd prefer FOF 2005 or even a baseball game. Not too much into the political world, but I'd support it, without thinking twice....

Last edited by TLK : 09-14-2004 at 11:49 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:44 PM   #123
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I seriously hope it's not another FOF.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #124
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Interesting, TCY2 was trailing by a pretty wide margin early on. Did some of the commentary in this thread change people's minds, or sway late voters?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #125
Ben E Lou

Dola:

Or is it the "I-doubt-it-but-I-really-hope-it-so-I'll-vote-for-it-in-hopes-that-somehow-I-can-change-Jim's-mind-even-though-he's-already-spent-months-on-something-else" crowd.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:43 AM   #126
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Interesting, TCY2 was trailing by a pretty wide margin early on. Did some of the commentary in this thread change people's minds, or sway late voters?

I noticed it this as well. I definitely think it did.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:52 AM   #127
wade moore
lolzcat

Personally... I think this secrecy is building more positive buzz than him actually saying what game he gets.... we have a lifetime of threads involving what we think it will be, talking about what we want, all giddy for a game..

vs. him saying now that tcy2 will be out in 6 months in which nothing happens until a month before, and then it is just annoying, constant badgering..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #128
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Personally... I think this secrecy is building more positive buzz than him actually saying what game he gets.... we have a lifetime of threads involving what we think it will be, talking about what we want, all giddy for a game..

vs. him saying now that tcy2 will be out in 6 months in which nothing happens until a month before, and then it is just annoying, constant badgering..
Well, as one who used to question Solecismic's practice of not giving out information until the 11th hour, I have to say that I keep going back to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic Web Site
As I've reached six years "unemployed", I hope to continue to make Solecismic Software my career. Angela and I had a baby boy, Gregory, in March of 2003, and we're fortunate that the company has been successful enough to allow her to spend all of her time raising him.
That's some serious evidence that things are working for him and for his family. Six years of selling a niche product that is working well enough to be the family's sole support is pretty impressive, imho.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-15-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #129
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes, but that's only creating buzz with us here. We'll buy the game regardless. If Jim wants to expand his audience, he needs buzz from other gaming sites and computer magazines to do that. He would have a better chance of doing that if he announced what game he was releasing before a week or two ahead of the release.

For example, if he were releasing a political game he might have gotten mentioned in reviews of the Political Machine. I could easily see a reviewer commenting that the Political Machine didn't live up to his hopes and he'd have to wait to see what the Solecismic release would be like.

I think he misses out on a lot of potential free advertising by going this route. There's a reason most companies announce what games they are developing and even release screen shots, etc during the development. You have to get the public talking about it and spread the word. That can't happen when you don't even know what the game is.

Last edited by Bee : 09-15-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #130
Ben E Lou

Looks like we cross-posted, Bee. My response to wade (and others in this and the original patch thread) applies to your post as well.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #131
Ben E Lou

Dola:

Upon further thought, Bee, perhaps no announcement is an indicator that it is not a political sim. If Jim announces football (college or pro), baseball, basketball, or hockey, word will spread among the sports text sim community (through FOFC as well as the OOTP, .400 and Grey Dog boards) within hours. If Jim were to do a game in any of those sports, assuming that it matches the quality of TCY and FOF2K4, it seems very safe to assume that his sales would be in the ballpark or exceed those of his past releases--and that ballpark is proven to work for him. There doesn't seem to be a huge risk involved in Solecismic marketing a sports text sim the same way it has been done in the past. On the other hand, one would think that he would want a little "extra" hype for a non-sports sim.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-15-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #132
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like we cross-posted, Bee. My response to wade (and others in this and the original patch thread) applies to your post as well.

yep. I'm a slow typer.

Quote:
That's some serious evidence that things are working for him and for his family. Six years of selling a niche product that is working well enough to be the family's sole support is pretty impressive, imho.

I don't think there's any doubt that Jim has been very successful selling a "niche" product. If that is what he wants to do, then his method works fine and saves him a ton of headaches dealing with pre-release hype. But IMO if he wants to expand his base, he needs as much pre-release hype as possible to do it.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:59 AM   #133
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola:

Upon further thought, Bee, perhaps no announcement is an indicator that it is not a political sim. If Jim announces football (college or pro), baseball, basketball, or hockey, word will spread among the sports text sim community (through FOFC as well as the OOTP, .400 and Grey Dog boards) within hours. If Jim were to do a game in any of those sports, assuming that it matches the quality of TCY and FOF2K4, it seems very safe to assume that his sales would be in the ballpark or exceed those of his past releases--and that ballpark is proven to work for him. There doesn't seem to be a huge risk involved in Solecismic marketing a sports text sim the same way it has been done in the past.

Oh, I don't think there's any real risk involved in marketing the game like he has the last couple versions. He has an established customer base and he has those sales locked up. I think the question is if he wants to try to expand that customer base. I think he could even draw new fans if it were another football game. When the console games were out, if we had known that Jim's next game were either TCY2 or FOF6, we might have seen it mentioned when talking about NCAA Football or Madden. But I respect Jim's decision to market it his way and that's fine with me (no skin off my nose). I'll be glad to buy whatever the game is when it's released (unless it's baseball).
Old 09-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #134
wade moore
lolzcat

Good points Bee...

I think I am going under the assumption that Jim is happy with the sales he has maintained so far and does not have an interest in a drastic increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #135
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I'll be glad to buy whatever the game is when it's released (unless it's baseball).

I'm kind of in this category as well. Actually, I might buy baseball, but would certainly forgo a political sim. Hockey, wrestling, and pro basketball (which I think it has almost no chance of being) would also be on my "no thanks" list.

In case Jim is still reading though, I feel its important to mention that I would buy 10 copies of front office curling.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #136
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Im in a wierd boat- I'd almost certainly give baseball a shot given Jim's demonstrated back research, but there's no way I would buy a college football game. Pro Football might be more interesting to me, and a political sim would be worth a whirl IMO- but I venture my preferences stand out from others here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #137
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
Im in a wierd boat- I'd almost certainly give baseball a shot given Jim's demonstrated back research, but there's no way I would buy a college football game. Pro Football might be more interesting to me, and a political sim would be worth a whirl IMO- but I venture my preferences stand out from others here.

Not that weird, I wouldn't think. Although I would likely still buy the college game, if that's what it is, I haven't been in too much of a college game mood lately. I tried firing up TCY again the other day and just couldn't get into it. If it is TCY2, I'd hope there are some significant changes to hook me in.

But, Pro Football would definitely be more interesting to me as well, and despite my frustration with election-year hooey, the junkie in me would grab a political sim in a heartbeat.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #138
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Good points Bee...

I think I am going under the assumption that Jim is happy with the sales he has maintained so far and does not have an interest in a drastic increase.

A couple of years back when I was arguing that his marketing methods suck, I did not understand this. Since then I finally got it and fully support it. In the early 1990s, I was a one-man business as well and know that the most important thing is to scope your business plan to the level that you can fully support the development and sales of your products....and not more than you can handle.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #139
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

where did all this speculation about a "political sim" come from? Has he ever said anything indicating he was going in this direction? I haven't seen it.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:31 PM   #140
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
where did all this speculation about a "political sim" come from? Has he ever said anything indicating he was going in this direction? I haven't seen it.
He's mentioned wanting to do one more than once in the past. However, he did say last fall that it probably wouldn't happen any time soon: http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...&postcount=108
Old 09-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #141
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He's mentioned wanting to do one more than once in the past. However, he did say last fall that it probably wouldn't happen any time soon: http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...&postcount=108

Thanks. I guess it is a possiblity then, though I hope he sticks to what has made him great in my opinion, i.e., football. It seems to me that another version of the pro or college game would be guaranteed money in his pocket and the safe thing to do, but maybe he's feeling risky these days. I for one would never buy a political sim.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #142
33sherman
Mascot

Has it been established that there will even be a new game this year? Or is that speculation, too?

Last edited by 33sherman : 09-15-2004 at 07:06 PM.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #143
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, he has released a product every year in the fall for 6 straight years now...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #144
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Hey Jim Mirc is sure fun huh?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

after the hype surrounding it at the olympics, i am assuimg it's Front Office Yachting
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #146
thealmighty
Pro Starter

All you foolish people can go on and on about football this, and curling that. However, if Jim really wants to get an expanded market, he will publish Front Office Teacher Sex.

Think of the possibilities for expansion years from now, when kindegarten teachers will be susceptible to yearnings like high school and, to a lesser extent, middle school teachers are now. Plus, this would get way more female appeal going than any sport sim.

Late night sneaking around in cars, middle of the day playing hooky or, even better, trying to find an empty custodial closet...wow, what fun that would be.

(btw, I want TCY2, but since I haven't gotten what I wanted since 1976, that isn't going to happen.)
Old 09-16-2004, 03:06 AM   #147
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

This is crazy, I come back from vacation to startling news...many of us thought the next game would be TCY2...now that it is highly improbable that it will come out, I seem to be more excited about Jims new venture.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:11 AM   #148
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
This is crazy, I come back from vacation to startling news...many of us thought the next game would be TCY2...now that it is highly improbable that it will come out, I seem to be more excited about Jims new venture.

Well, I agree with you that TCY2 is unlikely after the patch, but if you take a close look at the poll, many here still think TCY2 is the most likely...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 AM   #149
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Yea, but it seems highly unlikely. It wouldn't make much sense to release a patch and then come out with a new TCY.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #150
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Yea, but it seems highly unlikely. It wouldn't make much sense to release a patch and then come out with a new TCY.

Unless, of course, Jim were TRYING to throw everyone here off the track. I mean, you never know how he'll mess with us next