Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #101
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
We have paid reparations to Indians in the past, and still do today. So, we are in affect punishing people today for the acts of others many years ago. Actually, in the mind of those who argue for it, it is paying back the benefits you now enjoy because of evil actions of the past.

Most feudal serfs were little better than slaves throughout England (and I believe most of Europe) - life was harsh and hard in those days, simple as that, wars involved massacres and rapes with little thought of mercy, people starved to death regularly because of lack of food or froze to death because they were homeless, plagues and disease were common etc. ...

In earlier history 'evil actions' were common place and virtually all successful members of society would be defined as 'evil' by todays standards simply because without that ruthlessness they wouldn't have reached the level in society that they did.

To judge the actions of people from those days in the light of society today is unfair in my opinion, life today is much easier for people and its much easier to be a 'moral' person when placed in a comfortable position in life.

I for one see no reason for people to keep harking back to the past and use it as an excuse for discrimination for or against any section of society.

IMHO the biggest problem society face today is the continual growing of Political Correctness enforcing things upon society which while frequently sound good in theory are poorly thought through and horribly flawed in practice.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #102
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Stkelly52 and Cody8200, I am familiar with the incidents you brought up. I do not mean to minimize the severity or importance of mistreatment suffered by native americans at the hands of the U.S. government. I just feel that it was not nearly as bad as the treatment of U.S. slaves.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:10 PM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher
The rate he is going, pretty soon the entire country is going to be 1/16th Shawn Kemp.

Dan

Dammit. It took almost a page but someone beat me to this joke.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #104
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

On a political side note, from the Tribune

Chicago Tribune/WGN-TV. 8/13-16. MoE 4%. (5/21-24 results)

Obama (D) 65
Keyes (R) 24

80 black voters (MoE 7%)

Obama (D) 96
Keyes (R) 3

Faborability

Obama
Name ID: 96 (81)
Favorable: 62 (46)
Unfavorable: 14 (9)

Keyes
Name ID: 91
Favorable: 20
Unfavorable: 42

President

Kerry 52 (53)
Bush 38 (37)
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #105
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow... if he was going to get TOOLED like this, why'd he agree to move there and run? Were all the candidates REALLY that bad?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #106
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Well, basically over the past few yeasrs, due to scandals and such, the Illinois GOP has imploded and there is basically nobody for them to run that could do any better. I mean, they were going after Ditka before this. I mean, all Obama would have to say is he traded for Ricky Williams and that'd be the election. :-)
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote