Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #101
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
And isn't "Ignorant Fucktard" redundant?

Oh, no. Not only no, but hell no!

You can be ignorant, or a fucktard, without being an "Ignorant Fucktard"

Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I am afraid I am going to need to see Webster's definition of Fucktard before I am willing to agree with this.

Ask and ye shall receive

Ok so it's an urban dictionary instead of Websters.. but it's still a divtionary right?

(I think they have entries for dola and HornsManiac as well)
Old 06-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #103
vtbub
College Starter

SD's error was more of equttitte(bad spelling) then anything.

If you know where it came from, saying thanks in a read me is the correct way of handling that. Usually, a modded piece of work will state that you may re-mod, but please give me credit for (x).

I don't mod often, but usually, a cut and paste below my own readme of all the assembled read me's used in the package covers all grounds.

Now he knows for next time.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #104
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Don't worry, you never had a chance of winning here. There are some of us that believe you should have been credited (along with anyone else).

Of course he should have, that's not the point. It's the hypocrisy of someone who does not give credit for the source of his work being upset that someone did not give credit to him when they used his work as the source that I find amusing (since no one is losing financially, this is more amusing than anything else) and where I think the lack of sympathy is coming from. As I said much earlier, I think they both made a mistake here.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #105
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

All I know is if anyone else uses the name Mouse Tail Perry in a football sim, we are going to court.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 06-30-2004 at 02:42 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #106
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
I'll ask again then, can I take Skydog's FOF research threads, post them as my own and not give him any credit?

Making a differentation for copyrighted material makes sense.

Technically, I'm not sure if you could take Skydog's FOF research threads, post them as my own and not give him any credit. I believe that Gamespy probably owns the rights to everything posted here because it is their forum.

When you create something (music, print, graphic) it is instantly copyrighted (1977 copyright act, IIRC). That is a very broad statement, but that is the gist.

But the ownership here is what I'm not sure. Maybe gamespy isn't like yahoo and relinquishes ownership to the forum mods or the actual author. I don't know.

If you mean "can I take Skydog's FOF research threads, post them as my own and not give him any credit?" and not have SkyDog pissed or in a tizzy. That, only Ben could answer. In all honesty, I would be willing to bet that he would make a stink about it, but after this thread I can guarantee you he wouldn't dream of it now. At least, he better not.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #107
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm just disappointed this thread stayed civil enough that it didn't get locked. I was really looking forward to being involved in my first debate that got locked ;-)
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #108
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Of course he should have, that's not the point. It's the hypocrisy of someone who does not give credit for the source of his work being upset that someone did not give credit to him when they used his work as the source that I find amusing (since no one is losing financially, this is more amusing than anything else) and where I think the lack of sympathy is coming from. As I said much earlier, I think they both made a mistake here.

I still don't quite understand the reasoning you have for expecting LL to list hundreds of photographers name in the readme to give credit for taking the photos.

The credit is given for compiling the photos, not for taking them.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #109
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Ben stepped on your toes, no doubt about it, but you really are over reacting. Next time if I were you, I would put LivinLegend across the bottom of the pics or your real name or your web site or whatever to distiguish them as yours. This way, you will have eternal credit.

I thought we were done with this. I did state earlier I was dropping the issue and that I had sent a PM to SkyDog that would hopefully put this issue to rest. I see some people want to continue carrying the banner for SkyDog's actions.

Quote:
whomever talked about LL redoing Skydog's music and reselling it is way off base and is a totally different issue. Skydog's music is copyrighted and LL's facepack isn't copyrighted. Sure he did a lot of work on it, but it isn't his to sell.
CRIPES I'm not talking legality and copyright issues here, I was just asking for him to do the right thing and give credit where it was due and ask permission first. I asked him to apologize. He said he had nothing to apologize for. I asked him to remove my work from his file. He refused.

Quote:
Would it have been nice for Ben to spend the time crediting the work? Sure, but he didn't. In the future, if you don't want somebody redistributing mod-material, don't put it out there. .

That's exactly the course of action I plan to take.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Did it start out with: "Hey Vern!"

And isn't "Ignorant Fucktard" redundant?
You got me there, I can't compete with that reasoning.
LivnLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:46 PM   #110
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Technically, I'm not sure if you could take Skydog's FOF research threads, post them as my own and not give him any credit. I believe that Gamespy probably owns the rights to everything posted here because it is their forum.

When you create something (music, print, graphic) it is instantly copyrighted (1977 copyright act, IIRC). That is a very broad statement, but that is the gist.

But the ownership here is what I'm not sure. Maybe gamespy isn't like yahoo and relinquishes ownership to the forum mods or the actual author. I don't know.

If you mean "can I take Skydog's FOF research threads, post them as my own and not give him any credit?" and not have SkyDog pissed or in a tizzy. That, only Ben could answer. In all honesty, I would be willing to bet that he would make a stink about it, but after this thread I can guarantee you he wouldn't dream of it now. At least, he better not.

FYI, gamespy doesn't own content. That path has been forged by one of us during "The Move". Not me tho.

Things are also not instantly copyrighted, you must apply for it.

Yes of course that's what I meant. As in this case, it's not a legal issue but a courtesy and respect issue. You don't take other people's stuff and represent it as your own.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #111
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm just disappointed this thread stayed civil enough that it didn't get locked. I was really looking forward to being involved in my first debate that got locked ;-)
i'm sure even skydog was smart enough to realize that locking this thread would only exponentially make things worse.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #112
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
It's the hypocrisy of someone who does not give credit for the source of his work being upset that someone did not give credit to him when they used his work as the source that I find amusing...

I am keeping within the context of the OOTP community. I edited and sized the photos for OOTP consumption. SkyDog took the work I did and re-released them on his own web space under his own name without any mention of my efforts. Why do you keep introducing red herrings to the issue?

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm new here so I haven't figured out that it is okay to act like an asshole to other people in the gaming community you share.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #113
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

LivinLegend.. umm.. I'm sorry.. Even I, who have been known to fly off the handle.. well.. anytime.. could see the invisible "Humor" tags around it. I'm saddened that you couldn't.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #114
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I just want to add a post to this "geek thread", so when we talk about it in years to come, I can say I was here.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #115
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLegend
Sorry to disappoint you. I'm new here so I haven't figured out that it is okay to act like an asshole to other people in the gaming community you share.

Seems to me you're figuring THAT out real quick
Old 06-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #116
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Things are also not instantly copyrighted, you must apply for it.

FWIW, copyrights are instantly created. When you "apply for it," you are simply registering the copyright you already own with the federal government.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #117
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Come on guys, it's over. Let it die.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #118
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Seems to me you're figuring THAT out real quick
You can say that again. I had no idea how rampant it is.

I've been involved in this community for several years and have championed its cause all that time. I am seeing a side of people I didn't know existed. It's pretty sobering.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #119
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can say that again. I had no idea how rampant it is.

I've been involved in this community for several years and have championed its cause all that time. I am seeing a side of people I didn't know existed. It's pretty sobering.

free hint: That whooshing sound you're hearing is my point (namely, you're starting to act like the asshole you're claiming we are acting like) going RIGHT over your head.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #120
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
FWIW, copyrights are instantly created. When you "apply for it," you are simply registering the copyright you already own with the federal government.

Thanks. I was searching for a site to post to explain. Seems that you must register the material if you want to be able to Sue for damages. But if I write a poem on a napkin, that is an instantly copyrighted work.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #121
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think I copyrighted that "whooooshhh" today. Put me in the readme

Last edited by rkmsuf : 06-30-2004 at 02:59 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #122
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

Then the intial copyright is pretty worthless unless you register it. Two people could post the same thing but the one who posted later could get it into the government 1st no?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #123
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
free hint: That whooshing sound you're hearing is my point (namely, you're starting to act like the asshole you're claiming we are acting like) going RIGHT over your head.

I guess I did miss your point. What post of mine were you referring to?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #124
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ack. After reading this thread, I feel that all involved in this thread will go to Hell.

"Thou shalt not steal."
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:01 PM   #125
vtbub
College Starter

As long as I'm in hell, can I have fries with that?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #126
Bonegavel

Quote:
Then the intial copyright is pretty worthless unless you register it. Two people could post the same thing but the one who posted later could get it into the government 1st no?

Absolutely. It is in your best interest to register a work, but the ambiguity gives many lawyers a job. (no offense Ksyrup et al).

Put it this way, the Copyright Act states that you do not have to register it and that copyright is instantly granted upon creation.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #127
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Ack. After reading this thread, I feel that all involved in this thread will go to Hell.

"Thou shalt not steal."

You stole your name!
Old 06-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #128
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

*slows down*

*rubbernecks*

*drives on by*
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #129
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

After the line:And isn't "Ignorant Fucktard" redundant? (referring to my joke to Schmidty that If my title is to be renamed Lapdog Extraordinare, his should be Ignorant Fucktard
Quote:
You got me there, I can't compete with that reasoning.

Completely missing the point that it A) wasn't even addressed to you, B) Meant humorously and the other half of the post that asked if you entitled your note to SD "Hey Vern" WAS addressed to you, but was humorous as well.

Then.. after someone jokingly complains that the thread wasn't locked down because we were civil to each other (a rarety when these brushfires breaks out)

Quote:

And then COMPLETELY missing the point when I pointed out that you were acting the same way that you were accusing us of acting

My God, LL, did you have a humor-ectomy or something, or were you born without the sense of humor?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #130
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

There are obviously advantages to registering your copyright. One is the ability to sue for infringement. With regard to your specific question, as I understand it, the first person to register the copyright would have a prima facia case that the copyright was theirs in any infringement suit (brought by the person with the registration), however that wouldn't prevent me from actually presenting evidence to show that I owned the copyright prior to the registration or ultimately prevailing in the case.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #131
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
You stole your name!
True dat!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #132
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
After the line:And isn't "Ignorant Fucktard" redundant? (referring to my joke to Schmidty that If my title is to be renamed Lapdog Extraordinare, his should be Ignorant Fucktard

Completely missing the point that it A) wasn't even addressed to you, B) Meant humorously and the other half of the post that asked if you entitled your note to SD "Hey Vern" WAS addressed to you, but was humorous as well.

Then.. after someone jokingly complains that the thread wasn't locked down because we were civil to each other (a rarety when these brushfires breaks out)

I am not as familiar with the "personalities" on this board. When the guy said he was disappointed the thread did not turn into a flame war, it seemed sincere. I used some sarcasm in saying I was sorry he was disappointed but I hardly think that makes me an "asshole" as you claim.

Quote:
And then COMPLETELY missing the point when I pointed out that you were acting the same way that you were accusing us of acting

My God, LL, did you have a humor-ectomy or something, or were you born without the sense of humor?

I'd find it hard to believe someone would accuse me of having no sense of humor. I've posted 4000+ times on the OOTP board and hardly any of them have a tinge of seriousness.

If SkyDog had apologized up front rather than spin this on two message boards as him being some sort of victim, this would all be a moot point.
I am asking him to remove my work from his file. So far he's been pretty quiet after adding some fuel early (see his "Is this guy for real?" post earlier in the thread).

I've been civil and (in my mind) rational about this whole situation. You've flung a lot at me and on SkyDog's home turf no less. I said "you win! I drop the issue!" way back when but other people have picked up SkyDog's banner and ran with it since then, in some sort of effort to prove he was right and I was wrong. If that makes me an asshole on your board, at least I now know the definition.

Last edited by LivnLegend : 06-30-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #133
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hey, LivinLegend, SkyDog, and the rest of you, will you please give me credit for the 15 minutes of my life that you just stole from me?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:15 PM   #134
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
This is to funny...FOBL constitution.... me thinks some follows take the game to serious...

Wow, this sentence is bad on so many levels.

edit: looks as though Schmidty already called you on this...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-30-2004 at 03:18 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:17 PM   #135
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Hey, LivinLegend, SkyDog, and the rest of you, will you please give me credit for the 15 minutes of my life that you just stole from me?

It took you 15 minutes to read this?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #136
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Who wins the car? The question is moot. I win the car.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #137
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just want to say thank you to LL, Skydog, and anyone else who helped make that compilation of photos for fictional players in OOTP6. No matter how large or how small their part in the set's creation was I appreciate it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #138
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Oh, I think it's hit the mark entirely. There's a quote that applies here, don't you think.. the one about glass houses and stones. If LivinLegend had put together a list of sites/places he had grabbed the photos from, in a Thank You file, (I can't say that he has, I haven't downloaded the file), then I would expect any other to respect that same rule. But apparently (and I have to stress that), LivinLegend expects to do one thing with other people's work.., and expects others to do another when they deal with HIS work..

Oh come on Fozz, that's ridiculous. LL did hours of work (I can sympathize, before creating faces for the JBL I used to do what LL did for JBL's private use. HOURS OF WORK.), this should not be an arguement. I agree SkyDog had no ill intentions but should probably find out everyone who made the files and appropriately credit them. LL is a stand up guy and has presented himself nicely in this thread so I am surprised so many people are getting on him like this.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #139
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Who wins the car? The question is moot. I win the car.
Well you will at least win the car 2/3 of the time if you switch doors. Otherwise you will end up with a goat.

Last edited by primelord : 06-30-2004 at 03:22 PM. Reason: I forgot the space in at least. Had to put that in there before Quik hunted me down.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #140
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Ooh! Ooh! I was quoted in the OOTP thread! I was part of a flame war and didn't even know it. How fun!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #141
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Been away. Unbelievable that this is three-pager. I HAVE to respond to these two thing, and maybe some others as I read all of this...

Quote:
SkyDog then took my work, combined it with others, and released it as his own back to the OOTP community.
Released it as my own???? This has been my bone of contention from the start. In the thread with the link, it clearly states:
Quote:
There are over 4,000 face shots for fictional players included in the zip file. All of your fictional players will be assigned a photo. Thanks to those who helped me figure out how to do this (Draft Dodger & Shorty3281), and to the guys who actually made these facepacks. (This is a compilation of the facepack work of 4 or 5 different people.)
As I said over at OOTP, I had no CLUE who "the guys who actually made these facepacks" were at the time I did the upload early this morning. That was the very best I could do, and you respond to me like I'm some sort of 'net criminal. Sheesh.

Quote:
Again, I sent him an earnest PM. If the guy is admirable as you seem to state by your backing of him, I hope he does the right thing.
The PM you sent me used the exact same words as the original message board post: in other words, a VERY accusatory tone.

You also seem to be forgetting that in my response to your PM (and in the public response as well...I copied and pasted after responding to the PM when I realized you'd chosen to attack me not just in private but in public as well), I included:
Quote:
Would it be better if I put your name in the information?
I've got nothing to gain from "taking credit" for this. (Again, who cares about credit anyway?)
Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #142
Senator

Who wrote this for you Shorty? These are not the words of a drunken youth!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #143
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
It took you 15 minutes to read this?

And the other two threads over at OOTP that were referenced earlier in this thread.

Besides, I'm trying to slow down my thinking so that I can better prepare a game plan for the Rhinos. Trying to walk in the shoes of my opponent.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #144
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*laughs* LL, if we were TRYING to run with your hissy fit, there would be about 300 posts on it. As things are going, you just keep throwing logs on the fire.

And your continued complaints after I brought up that SD did the EXACT same thing you did (Taking other people's work, thanking them with a vague statement in the file), doesn't just make you an asshole.

It makes you a hypocrite.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #145
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
LL Said "Thank you to the folks whose photos I used to create this photopack"

SD said "Thank you to the folks who created the photopacks that I combined for this combined download"

You're right, DD. It doesn't have to be this hard.
You obviously have no idea about how much time LL invested into this project.

Last edited by korme : 06-30-2004 at 03:22 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #146
Senator

Skydog, what have you learned from this fiasco?

Old 06-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #147
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Been away. Unbelievable that this is three-pager.

You apparently don't know this board very well.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #148
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
And the other two threads over at OOTP that were referenced earlier in this thread.

Besides, I'm trying to slow down my thinking so that I can better prepare a game plan for the Rhinos. Trying to walk in the shoes of my opponent.

Ouch. Touche.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #149
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Skydog, what have you learned from this fiasco?

unfortunately, it looks like the answer is "nothing".
Old 06-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #150
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I did. I already stated I sent him a PM first. I won't divulge the info in his PM but needless to say, his response caused me to take the issue up publicly.
You, sir, are full of it. You're trying to make people think that I said something to you in a PM that I didn't say in public. Here's my PM:

Private Message: Re: photo pack
Today, 12:21 PM
SkyDog

Re: photo pack

Quote:
I took a look at your file and I was very disturbed to see you took my work and incorporated it into your own. It really hurts to see you gave no mention or no credit to my fictional face packs which you unashamedly added into your file.

I respectfully ask that you immediately remove the images you took from my file. I put many hours of effort into that project and it disturbs me to see someone else take it and re-release it under false pretenses.

Did you not read this? Quote:
Thanks to those who helped me figure out how to do this (Draft Dodger & Shorty3281), and to the guys who actually made these facepacks. (This is a compilation of the facepack work of 4 or 5 different people.)

I never claimed it was my own. We were having a discussion at FOFC about facepacks, and I combined them, and some guys asked for them. Would it be better if I put your name in the information? I'd hate for the OOTP Community to miss out on being able to use these just because somebody wants credit. I don't care about getting any credit.

FOF Central
My OOTP 6.03 Dynasty Thread

Here's my public response:

Today, 12:24 PM #3
SkyDog

Quote:
I took a look at your file and I was very disturbed to see you took my work and incorporated it into your own. You gave no mention or no credit to my fictional face packs which you unashamedly added into your file.

My fictional photo packs are only available at one site and I have given this information freely in the past to anyone who inquired. I also posted an announcement in this forum.

I respectfully ask that you immediately remove the images you took from my file. I put many hours of effort into that project and it disturbs me to see someone else take it and re-release it under false pretenses.

Did you not read this?
Quote:
Thanks to those who helped me figure out how to do this (Draft Dodger & Shorty3281), and to the guys who actually made these facepacks. (This is a compilation of the facepack work of 4 or 5 different people.)

I never claimed it was my own. We were having a discussion at FOFC about facepacks, and I combined them, and some guys asked for them. Would it be better if I put your name in the information? I'd hate for the OOTP Community to miss out on being able to use these just because somebody wants credit. I don't care about getting any credit. Some people would like to just be able to download them all at once, unzip them once, and be done with it. That's what this compilation allows. Didn't mean to offend anyone, just help out the community.

FOF Central
My OOTP 6.03 Dynasty Thread

SkyDog
View Public Profile
Send a private message to SkyDog
Send email to SkyDog
Visit SkyDog's homepage!
Find More Posts by SkyDog
Add SkyDog to Your Buddy List

I sent the PM first, then copied, pasted, and made a few small changes to the public message. I do NOT appreciate being mischaracterized one single solitary bit, which is why I responded the way I responded to you in the first place. A non-accusatory PM or public message, commiserate with the "offense", my obvious intentions, and that which I had made clear publicly, and you would have gotten a simple response.