Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn you Nashville.. that defense is going to be brutal to play against.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #102
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Damn you Nashville.. that defense is going to be brutal to play against.
Blame Florida.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #103
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Blame Florida.

yeah, I think the Avs made the right move there but I'm not super excited to see Jones stay in the division. Nashville's a perfect destination for him - he won't have the pressure of being the #1 guy like he would have had in Colorado.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #104
Danny
Head Coach

It's so nice to finally have a team who can compete for the cup every year
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #105
Danny
Head Coach

Fantastic pick by the Kings in Zykov. First round talent and a big need for the organization.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #106
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Tyler Kennedy moved to SJ for a 2nd round pick. Honestly surprised Pittsburgh got that much for him. He was terrible for much of the year, on a $2m contract, then had a couple key goals in the playoffs.

He specializes at putting the puck right on the goaltenders logo. So maybe in the West, he'll take advantage of Luongo's missing heart and score a few that way.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #107
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And now we see who overpays for Brian Bickell.

None other than Chicago themselves!

4 years, $16m

They moved some space eaters in Bolland and Frolik, so it doesn't kill them...but that's a lot of money for the Fernando Pisani/Max Talbot playoff out of nowhere guy of the year.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #108
hoopsguy
General Manager

Heard that Bolland would likely be cast aside to bring back Bickell.

So they gave away the guy who had the go-ahead goal in Game 7 to keep the guy who scored the tying goal in Game 7. Thought of that during the post-game, wondering if it would actually go down that way.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #109
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm excited to see Boland in a leaf uni....bye bye Bozak.....

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #110
Danny
Head Coach

At one point Marty Brodeur started 70+ games for 10 years in a row and67+ for 12 years.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #111
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
None other than Chicago themselves!

4 years, $16m

They moved some space eaters in Bolland and Frolik, so it doesn't kill them...but that's a lot of money for the Fernando Pisani/Max Talbot playoff out of nowhere guy of the year.

The good news is the first year is at only 2 million. The bigger money comes in later, at 4ish per year. Basically, he's got a year to earn his money, or I'm sure they'll try and find a taker for him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #112
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I was sad to see Frolik go but at his salary he needed to do more than be a very good penalty killer. Not real sad to see Bolland go as he was just okay and at $3 mill per year not worth it. As for the Bickell contract I think the cost was too much but if it is just $2 mill for the first year then I guess I am okay with next year. Between Frolik and Bolland they were able to free up about $5.5 mill per year which will definitely help.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #113
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
The good news is the first year is at only 2 million. The bigger money comes in later, at 4ish per year. Basically, he's got a year to earn his money, or I'm sure they'll try and find a taker for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I was sad to see Frolik go but at his salary he needed to do more than be a very good penalty killer. Not real sad to see Bolland go as he was just okay and at $3 mill per year not worth it. As for the Bickell contract I think the cost was too much but if it is just $2 mill for the first year then I guess I am okay with next year. Between Frolik and Bolland they were able to free up about $5.5 mill per year which will definitely help.

Cap hit, however, is the average value. So $4m per.

Still if they feel he's an important piece to the top 6, they are doing the right thing. They've won 2 cups in 4 years. You keep that group intact as long as possible, and fill in depth with rookie contracts, 1 year vet contracts.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #114
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Letang deal done.

$58m over 8 years, $7.25m per. A little above what I was hoping for.

Limited NTC - 15 teams. Still leaves enough wiggle room, if, in a handful of years, all the D drafted in the past 3 seasons are pushing him, with much cheaper contracts.

Overall solid though. Still only at $3.5m next year when the cap dips, this won't kick in until 14-15, when Orpik and a few other contracts expire.

Officially unofficial now...can't sign until Friday, but all terms agreed upon
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #115
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

TROLA

Flyers sign Vinny Lecavalier to 5 year deal, $4.5m per...with a full No Move.

I don't think the value is terrible for Philly...but I don't understand the move. He's still a good 2nd line center. But Giroux, Schenn and Couturier will all be restricted after this year, and getting raises.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #116
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Tyler Bozak wants 8 years, at 5 per.... thats insane!

GIT R DUN!!!

Last edited by claphamsa : 07-02-2013 at 06:19 PM.
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #117
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Tyler Bozak wants 8 years, at 5 per.... thats insane!

I'd consider Bozak at 8 years, $5m...total
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #118
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
TROLA

Flyers sign Vinny Lecavalier to 5 year deal, $4.5m per...with a full No Move.

I don't think the value is terrible for Philly...but I don't understand the move. He's still a good 2nd line center. But Giroux, Schenn and Couturier will all be restricted after this year, and getting raises.

Not a terrible deal...but not a great one...he will be 38 at the end of this contract.Where is this cap room coming from?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #119
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Vinny is already on the downward trajectory. He might be good for another 2 years or so but years 3-5 are going to be ugly.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #120
bhlloy
Coordinator

lol, Flyers. There are teams that would have made sense for, but then those teams wouldn't already be 500k over the cap with Steve Mason as the only goalie on the roster and with 3 affordable guys hitting RFA next year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #121
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - seriously, the only contracts the Flyers might move that are worth anything are Simmonds and maybe Luke Schenn, and it's not like teams will be queuing up for those bargains either. Where the hell are they going to get the money to get under the cap and get a goaltender from?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #122
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - seriously, the only contracts the Flyers might move that are worth anything are Simmonds and maybe Luke Schenn, and it's not like teams will be queuing up for those bargains either. Where the hell are they going to get the money to get under the cap and get a goaltender from?

I know its fun to rail on the Flyers but at least look at the cap situation before you go off on them. That 500k over the cap includes Chris Prongers 4.9 million dollar hit which will come off the cap once he is placed on LTIR. Brayden Schenn's bonuses are so unrealistic that once he misses a game, 2.3 million comes off the cap because there is no way he can get all his bonus money. Also, I am fairly certain that Coburn goes away via a trade (mostly likely to EDM) and that right there would free up another 4.5 million.

As for next year...Kimmo's 6 million comes off the books, as does Meszaros's 4.0 million...add the allotment for Pronger's 4.9 mil and there is almost 15 million dollars.

I thought they would focus more on their holes on D rather than get another Center like Vinny. He'll center the 2nd line between Simmonds and Schenn.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #123
bbor
Pro Starter

If Coburn gets traded that leaves a huge hole on D...they better plan on scoring 7 goals a game with that D and goaltending.I could see them signing Tim Thomas,but at what cost?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #124
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Looks like the Jets have re-signed Clitsome for 3 years, $6.2M total. That seems like a pretty reasonable contract and I'm pretty cool with bringing him back at that kind of value.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #125
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
If Coburn gets traded that leaves a huge hole on D...they better plan on scoring 7 goals a game with that D and goaltending.I could see them signing Tim Thomas,but at what cost?

I agree...I can do the numbers bit but as far as trying to understand what Homer is trying to do...I am as Bryz once said "Lost in the woods".
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #126
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pascal Dupuis back to Pittsburgh, 4 years, $3.75m per

Not sure I like this one. I like the player, but about a year too long and $500-750k too much for my liking. But if they wanted to keep him, they had to go that high/long.

My biggest issue is: Bylsma back. Dupuis back. Kunitz back. Letang back.

I like all of them well enough. But Dupuis will be glued to Crosby's line now. When Crosby was bad in the Boston series, he needed someone who could carry the play on his own sometimes...Duper is not that guy.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #127
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pascal Dupuis back to Pittsburgh, 4 years, $3.75m per

Not sure I like this one. I like the player, but about a year too long and $500-750k too much for my liking. But if they wanted to keep him, they had to go that high/long.

My biggest issue is: Bylsma back. Dupuis back. Kunitz back. Letang back.

I like all of them well enough. But Dupuis will be glued to Crosby's line now. When Crosby was bad in the Boston series, he needed someone who could carry the play on his own sometimes...Duper is not that guy.

So as of next year (14-15) they have 48.75 million tied up with 9 guys?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-03-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #128
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
So as of next year (14-15) they have 48.75 million tied up with 9 guys?

Yep.

The cap will go up. HRR has risen for 20 straight seasons. So estimate 68m. A little under 20 mil for 13 spots. Two of those spots will be modest (?) raises to Beau Bennett and Simon Despres. Don't see either breaking the bank.

Orpik, Glass, Jokinen, Niskanen (if he's around, I expect him to be moved this summer) and Vokoun all expiring deals. Most/None of them should be back, Orpik if he'd take a pretty steep cut.

Defensively, they have bodies. Time to tell if Shero drafted well. Letang, Martin and Despres anchoring the D, with young guys filling out the spots, all at $1m or less.

Forward will be a bigger concern. But, assuming Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal and Bennett make up the top 6, the expensive spots are filled. Sutter will be restricted, but mainly looking for 3rd and 4th liners. A few of those guy will be under $1m, so they can still be active on middle tier free agents.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-03-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: fixing math
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #129
Logan
Head Coach

Alex Ovechkin leads first-team All-Stars ... and second-team - CBSSports.com
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Big pre-free agency trade. Boston sends Seguin, Peverly and some guy named Button to Dallas for Louis Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly smith and Matt Fraser.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #131
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Big pre-free agency trade. Boston sends Seguin, Peverly and some guy named Button to Dallas for Louis Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly smith and Matt Fraser.

Had been reading where Chiarelli had fired some warning shots at Seguin through the media re: this being his job, etc.

Dallas has some nice depth with Benn, Seguin, Peverly down the middle now.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #132
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

And Giroux signs his long term extension, which will kick in for 14-15 season.

8 years, $66.2, / $8.275m per.

Full NMC
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #133
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Never heard of this Eriksson dude.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #134
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Never heard of this Eriksson dude.

Him and Bergeron together would be a ridiculous 2-way line. If he wasn't in Dallas (and was a center, because voters are biased) his name would be connected to the Selke every year.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #135
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Him and Bergeron together would be a ridiculous 2-way line. If he wasn't in Dallas (and was a center, because voters are biased) his name would be connected to the Selke every year.

Cool. And now I'm hearing D. Alfredsson with some of the cap space, which would be frigging awesome. Love his offensive game as a playmaker.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #136
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

even as good as Errickson is... that seems like a dump to me... am I missing something?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #137
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Boston did well in that trade.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #138
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
even as good as Errickson is... that seems like a dump to me... am I missing something?

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on Tyler Seguin: 'Got to become more of a professional' - bruins blog - Boston Globe hockey news

Quote:
He’s got to commit his mind and focus to the one task at hand,” Chiarelli said. “He’s got to become more of a professional. You know what? I can say that about a lot of 21-year-olds. I know he got criticized for playing on the periphery and all that stuff. He did. He’s got to commit to being a professional and focusing on the game. Simple as that. He does that, we don’t expect him to be crashing and banging. Just play your game

Quote:
"We gave Tyler a big contract because he projects and he had good performance. I would expect that going forward.”
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #139
bbor
Pro Starter

FA day....it's like Christmas in July!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #140
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Am I reading correctly that Elias just re-signed with the Devils for 16.5mil/3 years? I know he is still a good player, but he's 37... that seems like a lot of dough.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #141
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
FA day....it's like Christmas in July!

except when your team sucks... its like christmas if you are jewish.

(dont expect the Avs to sign anyone)

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #142
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Is Seguin really a player that hasn't lived up to his potential? Is he still young enough to grow even more?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #143
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Emery to Philly... woulda thought he could get more money than he did.
Alfredson to the wings. meh

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #144
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Am I reading correctly that Elias just re-signed with the Devils for 16.5mil/3 years? I know he is still a good player, but he's 37... that seems like a lot of dough.

I don't think he took much of a discount, but he's still really solid. 78 points back in 11-12, was good for top 10 in scoring.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #145
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is Seguin really a player that hasn't lived up to his potential? Is he still young enough to grow even more?

I think the idea is Seguin did scratch his potential in 11-12, figured he'd coast from there after getting a big deal, and struggled this year because of it.

Definitely capable of growing, he's 21 and capable of being a consistent 85+ point guy every year. Whether he does is another story.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #146
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

horton got 37M from Columbus
Avs signed a depth Dman
ribero got 22M 4 years, cant believe the caps didnt match that.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #147
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

TROLA

Penguins bring back Rob Scuderi. PERFECT partner for Letang.

4 years $3.375m per...not crazy about the length, he's 34 now. But solid move.

Some deal forthcoming...Penguins about $750k under the cap now.

Expecting Matt Niskanen going out.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #148
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I guess Horton was serious about wanting to go to a quieter market
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Stalberg 4 years, $3m per to Nashville

Clarkson 7 years, $5.25m per to Toronto

Bozak 5 years, $4.2m per to Toronto