Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #101
Qrusher14242
High School JV

anyone notice that players on the match engine move slower than before? i use the same settings as in 06 and its just much slower. Also, they seem to hold the ball a lot longer before passing. Going back to 06 and its a big difference. Problem is the speed above that is way too fast.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #102
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm looking forward to downloading the demo tonight. Anyone have impressions of the scouting? I'm really curious to see how much of an improvement there is for that aspect of the game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #103
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
anyone notice that players on the match engine move slower than before? i use the same settings as in 06 and its just much slower. Also, they seem to hold the ball a lot longer before passing. Going back to 06 and its a big difference. Problem is the speed above that is way too fast.

Yeah. I normally worked on the top speed level in FM06...unfortunately in FM07 the top speed seems a bit too fast and the #2 speed is a bit too slow for my tastes. Oh well, maybe it'll slow a bit when I'm running a bunch of leagues instead of just the quickstart. Or stay the same, doesn't bother me too much...just have to get used to it is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I'm looking forward to downloading the demo tonight. Anyone have impressions of the scouting? I'm really curious to see how much of an improvement there is for that aspect of the game.

Scouting is excellent, The scouting report cards on players are very good, I like them a lot. Good comparison with current players and telling you what makes the player good, what the player is weak at...telling you how likely they are to mix in with the team and such. Very good. I like it a lot.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #104
Bee
Pro Starter

That sounds great. I really hope they've also addressed the team reports. I really got tired of my assistant telling me that it's going to be impossible to avoid relegation unless we improve the team when we're 35 matches through the season and sitting in 1st place in the League.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #105
rexallllsc
Banned

Amazing.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

here's a ? i can't figure out. how do you link a young player with an older player for training purposes? i see the area under "player interaction" but no amount of clicking will make it do anything.

*frustrated*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #107
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I have never played an FM game. I do love FOF and TCY, and played OOTP 6.x a ton. I hear nothing but raves for this series, but I know next to squadoosh about soccer. Is is worth my while?
Toddzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #108
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I have never played an FM game. I do love FOF and TCY, and played OOTP 6.x a ton. I hear nothing but raves for this series, but I know next to squadoosh about soccer. Is is worth my while?

So long as you have an open mind and some patience, yes. It has been really easy for some to get into and really hard for others. It took me three tries. The first time I gave up out of frustrationl The I found Marc's guide and got into a it a little more. As I didn't really care for soccer, I lost interest and moved onto something else.

After hearing people rave about the game on the board, I gave it another chance. Something just "clicked" and i've been playing the game from that point on and it hasn't held a position lower than 5th in my library of games from that day on.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #109
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

It will definitely require some patience to learn the nuances of the FM world. I would say that you would need to give the game 6 months of game time and commit yourself to working through the whole six months. If you can do that, you should begin to get a handle on how things work. If you're prone give up easily out of frustration, then maybe it isn't the best series to get into. But with some patience, the game world is extremely rich.

Also, don't expect the time of the game world to fly along a la FOF, TCY and OOTP. At my fastest, it takes at least an hour of real time per month of game time.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #110
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
here's a ? i can't figure out. how do you link a young player with an older player for training purposes? i see the area under "player interaction" but no amount of clicking will make it do anything.

*frustrated*

nevermind, just looked and found out it's basically a "trial and error" thing
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #111
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

blah. looks like one of my favorite things from 06 is gone, the ability to "place adverts" for open staff positions.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #112
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Quote:
blah. looks like one of my favorite things from 06 is gone, the ability to "place adverts" for open staff positions.

No, you can place adverts like before, the text is so small, it is hard to see, but the place advert is there on the left.

Click Jobs under the dropdown menu and you can click the place advert on the left side in the green.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #113
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

One of the things I liked about the 06 version is I could click thru the ads at the loading of the game, since I REALLY don't need the ads to show EVERYTIME I load the game.

Setting scouting duties doesn't seem to work. Scout I had was doing both the scouting of England, and next opponent, and I got no feedback from both.

So I hired another scout, and the team said I don't need one but didn't stop me from hiring another to handle the next opponent gig, but now no one is doing anything even if the settings look right...

So no heads up about next opponent OR England's finest and worst players being scouted either...

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdude View Post
No, you can place adverts like before, the text is so small, it is hard to see, but the place advert is there on the left.

Click Jobs under the dropdown menu and you can click the place advert on the left side in the green.

HOT. that makes finding new staff so easy.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdude View Post
One of the things I liked about the 06 version is I could click thru the ads at the loading of the game, since I REALLY don't need the ads to show EVERYTIME I load the game.

Setting scouting duties doesn't seem to work. Scout I had was doing both the scouting of England, and next opponent, and I got no feedback from both.

So I hired another scout, and the team said I don't need one but didn't stop me from hiring another to handle the next opponent gig, but now no one is doing anything even if the settings look right...

So no heads up about next opponent OR England's finest and worst players being scouted either...

hmmm. my scouts are definately doing stuff. just make sure you're not over-working your scouts (by moving their job assignments up and down)
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

NOOOOOOOOOO my first real demo-game that i spent any time with is done.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #117
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Kuyt should not be that good.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #118
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Some of these are 'contractual' - in that we have to display them as part of the licence agreement with the various leagues/whatever.

The rest is there to 'hide' the fact that the game is actually busy loading up the user interface stuff behind the scenes ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 AM   #119
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

*frustrated*

You can only make such links with certain players and the 'elder' player has to be mature and of a certain reputation comparatively to his padawan ... otherwise he might turn to the dark side and we don't want to risk that again do we ?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #120
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It will definitely require some patience to learn the nuances of the FM world. I would say that you would need to give the game 6 months of game time and commit yourself to working through the whole six months. If you can do that, you should begin to get a handle on how things work. If you're prone give up easily out of frustration, then maybe it isn't the best series to get into. But with some patience, the game world is extremely rich.

Also, don't expect the time of the game world to fly along a la FOF, TCY and OOTP. At my fastest, it takes at least an hour of real time per month of game time.

The speed thing is really important and can't be emphasized enough IMO. It's a completely different pace than FOF or OOTP or those type of games. In my latest 2006 career, I have played about 160 hours and am just at the end of my 7th season. I'm probably a little slower than most though because I like to check out the links to various international players/teams that make my news page.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #121
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
You can only make such links with certain players and the 'elder' player has to be mature and of a certain reputation comparatively to his padawan ... otherwise he might turn to the dark side and we don't want to risk that again do we ?

it might be nice to be able to see that the links were possible though, without having to go into "player interaction" . like a column or a little grey box next to their name. otherwise we'll end up spending hours clicking to see that, or losing valuable time if we don't media-interact with the right person.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #122
SFL Cat
College Starter

I've never really played this game, tried a demo once many moons ago...but I'm curious...Is there a historical player database similar to the ones you can use in FOF and OOTP?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #123
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just downloaded and installed the demo, and took a look at the intro screen. Looks cool so far! I'll have to actually play the game later when I have time -- I think that's December or so.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #124
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
I've never really played this game, tried a demo once many moons ago...but I'm curious...Is there a historical player database similar to the ones you can use in FOF and OOTP?

No, you can play or with current teams and rosters or with fictional player names, there are no historical rosters.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #125
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'd say for people just getting into the cm/fm series.. i'd try and find an older cm.. like say cm4, and try and work up to the newer version if possible

I remember getting into soccer via cm way back with cm99ish (whichever one had ubergod peter prospar)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #126
Bee
Pro Starter

Coolest moment for me in the demo...

I'm up 1-0 going into the last minute of the match. The opposition scores to tie it up, but the goal is disallowed (there was a huge crowd around the player so I couldn't tell if he was offsides). I go on to win, but then after the game there's a news blurb that the opposing manager thought it was a bad call, but he's not going to say anything else about it. So the next news blurb is a local reporter asking me what I thought of the controversial goal that was disallowed. I responded that I thought it was a good call. It was nice also that in the news item I could review the play. Very cool.

Last edited by Bee : 10-04-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #127
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I'd say for people just getting into the cm/fm series.. i'd try and find an older cm.. like say cm4, and try and work up to the newer version if possible

aww dude, CM4?!? Come on, you want people to throw it all away and never touch it again?

I'd say people should start with FM2005 and then work their way up. FM2005 is the first non-Eidos version from SI Games and I'd say the feel of it is pretty close to what FM2006 and 2007 are now, sans media interaction, or barely any...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 10-04-2006 at 07:01 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #128
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn, the wait is kiling me. I don't know what to do now, if to start a new game with FM06 or to play the FM07 demo as i haven't touched it since i downloaded it a few days ago.

I would play the demo to get used to the changes, but to know that i'll play only 6 months of game time is kiling my desire of doing it. I know i can continue the demo savegame once the game is released, but a patch will be issued on the release day and i prefer to start my real game after the patch and also using my own configured universe instead of a limited quickstart.

On the other hand, it's the same about 06, if i start to play it now, i'll leave it once FM07 is out in 3 weeks as i have it preordered already in gameplay so i also know that the FM06 game won't last a lot.

Umm now that i think on it maybe i should work so hard during this 3 weeks to advance it a lot so i'll have more free time once the game is released.

Life is made of hard decissions

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #129
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm glad I picked up the demo to mess around with until the game is released. There's enough new things tucked away in there that the demo is almost like a practice run for me. I think my time with the demo will make my first career with the full version much smoother.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #130
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What are my options for purchasing this game? Obviously, there's the preorder from overseas, but what about a downloadable version? It's not going to be the same mess we had last year, is it? That made me sad.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #131
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I am not getting into the download crap again this year. I have preordered it from cd-wow.com. Found a couple vouchers on the net to save some bucks, finally comes to £17.99 shipping included. I know they shipped with some delay (or at least cd-wow.us did) last year, but at that price, I'll take it when it gets to me... Yeah, I'm cheap.

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #132
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I am not getting into the download crap again this year. I have preordered it from cd-wow.com. Found a couple vouchers on the net to save some bucks, finally comes to £17.99 shipping included. I know they shipped with some delay (or at least cd-wow.us did) last year, but at that price, I'll take it when it gets to me... Yeah, I'm cheap.

FM

That's like $300 Canadian isn't it?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #133
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
That's like $300 Canadian isn't it?

Canadian dollar jokes are so 1995....

Comes to $38 canadian or $33 american for those who are curious...

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #134
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm old so I stick with the classics.

I actually think I might have ordered from cd-wow last year (it was one of the cheaper places). If I remember correctly, I got my copy much faster than others because I paid for the upgraded shipping.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #135
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

funny you mention that, your post about when you got the game in the old cd-wow.us thread is what convinced me it was okay to go with them.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ight=cd-wow.us

I actually ordered from cd-wow.com and not .us, since cd-wow.us has it for $43.95 and it was cheaper with cd-wow.com, go figure. Also, not so sure you used the premium shipping as all their prices are "shipping included". There might be some fast ship premium I missed though...

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #136
Bee
Pro Starter

Might have been something else I was thinking about the premium shipping then. When you get to my age, everything kind of runs together. heh

I do remember getting the game faster than I expected.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #137
Bee
Pro Starter

Well, I just ordered from CD-wow as well. If I don't get it as quick as last year, I'm going to blame FrogMan.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #138
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Well, I just ordered from CD-wow as well. If I don't get it as quick as last year, I'm going to blame FrogMan.

at least you're consistent...

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...8&postcount=76
Quote:
ditto for me. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get here.

BTW, I plan on blaming FrogMan if it takes longer than a few days...

and then
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...1&postcount=81
Quote:
The email I got from them said 5-7 days, but that could be just their "standard" email for everyone, no matter where you are.

In any case, I'm not in a rush to get the game but it's still fun to blame FrogMan.

did you order from cd-wow.com or cd-wow.us? My understanding is that both are shipped from the UK anyway, but .us has the game at $43.95 american while the .com site has it for £20.49 from which I was able to shave £2.50 with a couple of vouchers...

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #139
Bee
Pro Starter

I ordered from cd-wow.com with the vouchers.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #140
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

WHAT VOUCHERS WHERE SAY WHAT HUH VOUCHERS DID SOMEONE SAY VOUCHERS
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #141
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I tought they were going to try to market the game over here in the US.

But I hardly ever see FM 2006 last year on the shelves in major stors like Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc.

I hope that changes for FM 2007 release.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you won't see FM at all, since you know, it's called Worldwide Soccer Manager over here.

and considering the short shrift Game stores hold PC games in, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #143
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
you won't see FM at all, since you know, it's called Worldwide Soccer Manager over here.

and considering the short shrift Game stores hold PC games in, I wouldn't hold my breath.

what he said.

FM
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #144
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

But I tough Marc Duffy said we will see them in the US stores when making the deal with sega.

But your right still lack of Worldwide Soccer Manager in the US stores.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #145
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I did see a copy of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2006 in a GameStop earlier this year. The game does show up in US stores, but it's hard to find.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #146
Bee
Pro Starter

I remember seeing a copy a few months ago. Don't remember the store...maybe Target?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #147
PraetorianX
High School JV

Man, the media is SO improved over earlier versions. Much more alive and realistic feeling, much more engrossing. God...what little social life I had will now be gone, I can feel it.

As for purchasing...Amazon has it (as Worldwide Soccer Manager) for only $29.99, which looks pretty good to me. Though they say it won't be released untill the 24th...hopefully they're just confused, if not...oh well, I'm still good.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #148
Bee
Pro Starter

Looks like I'm canceling the cd-wow order and placing a new one with amazon.com.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #149
dervack
College Prospect

They are doing the NA release as an elicense download.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #150
chris3627
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
No, you can play or with current teams and rosters or with fictional player names, there are no historical rosters.

I read on the SI Forums last week that some users collaberated and created a 1990ish replica (not exactly sure of the year but it was pre CM2) of the EPL. Tried to find a link but was unable to. Somebody on the forum there should be able to help you further if you want one.

To answer SFL, the task of creating a historical roster for one team is quite a daunting task, let alone for a league, or an indivdual country. That's why they've never really been done.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote