Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #101
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I'm glad all this console talk is compressed in one thread, though. It wouldn't do to clutter the board with discussions about either console, specially when only a minority of board members actually care about them.

i agree with this. when i see this thread hit 3 pages or so, i just head over here to catch up on all my console news/hilarious arguing. very enjoyable
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
You have people in the same thread that only post 360 crap, and the only thing they post about the PS3 are fuckups - so nobody can rag on just one guy.

I get drawn in by Mizzou BB Fan, and some wierd compulsion I feel to try to balance out his info. I said once before I was going to stop posting in these threads, and I intend to do so now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
i admit im a ninty fanboy at least

Exactly.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is comedy gold here. After professing that the reviews were way off for a couple of weeks, Lair lead developer now suddenly thinks it was a bad idea to 'force' motion control.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/gam...88000000020735
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #105
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
When someone only posts updates about 1 console or 1 game, you get labled a fanboy and in the world of message boards, that means everything posted by that person is taken with a grain of salt (at best).

If this message board became:

Sack/EF27 - 360
Mizzou - PS3
MJ4H - Wii

Then people would more than likely continue to rely out their own info or wait for someone else to post about it because when you cram info down people's throats that is obviously one-sided, its as good as posting nothing.

I don't disagree with that.

The only reason I post 360 news here at all is because they actually email it to me. Nintendo's got a press site where they post their press releases, and Sony has shifted from email to PlayStation.Blog. In both cases, pretty much anybody can go there and read those.

I leave my mailbox open in case stuff I'm expecting comes in, and every once in a while, I'll get a press release from Microsoft that is either actually interesting, or has a bearing on a topic under discussion.

If the other two companies actually emailed me their news, I'd post the interesting tidbits from them, too.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
When someone only posts updates about 1 console or 1 game, you get labled a fanboy and in the world of message boards, that means everything posted by that person is taken with a grain of salt (at best).

If this message board became:

Sack/EF27 - 360
Mizzou - PS3
MJ4H - Wii

Then people would more than likely continue to rely out their own info or wait for someone else to post about it because when you cram info down people's throats that is obviously one-sided, its as good as posting nothing.

Totally agree. I certainly post information about the 360 and the Wii as do the other posters listed above, hence the reason I mentioned them as being good sources of info. They do a good job of putting up info and, if they have an opinion, do a good job of backing it up with actual information.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not sure what's going on with the Wii in Japan this week. One month ago, it was selling 65K a week. This week, it's expected to continue to drop in sales, only selling 27K units. Not sure if they're diverting units to other countries in the region or if the demand is just off for some reason. Will be interesting to watch to see if the downward trend continues.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #108
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Not sure what's going on with the Wii in Japan this week. One month ago, it was selling 65K a week. This week, it's expected to continue to drop in sales, only selling 27K units. Not sure if they're diverting units to other countries in the region or if the demand is just off for some reason. Will be interesting to watch to see if the downward trend continues.

It's the lull before the big holiday season.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #109
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

We had 90 Wii's in stock at work over this past weekend, and then got another 15 in today (half of those were gone at the end of my four-hour shift).

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if diversion is happening en masse.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #110
MJ4H
Coordinator

They've already basically said it was.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #111
SackAttack
Head Coach

No, I mean in massive quantities. Like, MASSIVE quantities.

They haven't mentioned extent, only that it is happening.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #112
MJ4H
Coordinator

like TOTALLY massive?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #113
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yay Star Wars game coming to Wii where you can use your wiimote like a lightsaber!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/n...fm?artid=14424
Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #114
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Yay Star Wars game coming to Wii where you can use your wiimote like a lightsaber!

"wielding the Wii Remote™ as a lightsaber while using the Nunchuk™ controller to torment foes with their Force™ powers."

That is FUCKING AWESOME!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #115
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post
i agree with this. when i see this thread hit 3 pages or so, i just head over here to catch up on all my console news/hilarious arguing. very enjoyable

Agreed, I look forward to this thread every month.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #116
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I get drawn in by Mizzou BB Fan, and some wierd compulsion I feel to try to balance out his info. I said once before I was going to stop posting in these threads, and I intend to do so now.

Please don't.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #117
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
like TOTALLY massive?

Yeah. Like your mom.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #118
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Damn, that's cool

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
You have people in the same thread that only post 360 crap, and the only thing they post about the PS3 are fuckups - so nobody can rag on just one guy.

Yeah, but if we've learned anything from this thread, it's that it's a lot easier to just beat up on one person

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yeah. Like your mom.

Ooh, BURN!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-18-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #121
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't care at all for the Sixaxis Aftertouch controls in Heavenly Sword.

On the other hand, I'm quickly becoming a believer in Sixaxis being the only way to play Warhawk.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't care at all for the Sixaxis Aftertouch controls in Heavenly Sword.

On the other hand, I'm quickly becoming a believer in Sixaxis being the only way to play Warhawk.

I'm just the opposite on Warhawk. Like using the analog sticks. I am glad that they gave the option to use the sticks or motion control to fly the Warhawks. It's just a bad design decision to only allow one or the other.

How does the motion control work in Heavenly Sword? Didn't even know they were trying to do something like that. Doesn't sound like a good fit.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New MGS4 news coming out of the Konami TGS press conference. MGS4 and Metal Gear: Online will be packaged as a bundle. It appears that MG:O is a 'starter pack' and that expansions for that online pack can be purchased. I'm not sure I'd be interested in buying add-on content, but it is nice that the game will be on there to try out for everyone who buys MGS4.

No word on if MG:O will be packaged separately for purchase.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-19-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two new videos of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune from TGS:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25057.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25060.html
Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #125
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was reading about Drake's Fortune in PSM yesterday. It looks good.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

IGN at TGS reporting that Burnout 3 booths have wireless rumble controllers. Full DualShock 3 announcement expected later tonight.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/821/821010p1.html
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #127
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Info on total length of Mass Effect......

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/ma...ainterview.htm

Quote:
How Long

It's safe to say Mass Effect will stand proudly among the longest, most expansive games yet available on Xbox 360™. But exactly how long and how expansive is the experience? Here's what Ray had to say:

"It took me about thirty to forty hours to do just the core story, and another twenty, thirty hours of uncharted worlds beyond that. I think most players will probably spend forty to sixty hours, somewhere in there … this is a big game. It's all at the same production value too. It's all consistent high-quality. I'm amazed, the team has done an amazing job."
Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Research firm predicts video game industry will grow to $47B by 2009.......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820687p1.html

Quote:
September 18, 2007 - According to a series of recent reports by the research group DFC Intelligence, the game industry is poised to see enormous overall growth in 2009, just in time for the Xbox 360 to slip to a distant third place in the console race.

DFC estimates that the videogame market will swell to $47 billion by 2009, a 42 percent increase over the $33 billion generated by the industry in 2006. That forecast includes revenue from videogame hardware and software, dedicated portable system hardware and software (i.e. the DS and PSP - not mobile phones), PC games, and online PC and console games.

But the Xbox 360's selling power could be on the wane, according to DFC's research. The company has raised its forecast for the Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3 and lowered its forecast for Microsoft's console, predicting that the Wii will stay on top at least through 2008 and that the PS3 will move into overdrive in 2009.

"The Xbox 360 will need to build a strong base outside North America to avoid being in a fairly distant third," said DFC analyst David Cole. "We could have a situation where the Wii sells more hardware units, but by 2012 the PlayStation 3 is generating more software revenue."

Using three separate market forecasting models, DFC estimates that combined cumulative worldwide sales for the three console systems will reach between 180 million to 210 million units by 2012.

But home consoles won't be the only winners, according to DFC. The PC market, spurred by the success of online games and digital distribution, stands to grow to $13 billion by 2012, the research indicates. Previous DFC estimates put the online PC game market at about $4.5 billion in 2006.

Handheld systems and software are also strong performers and Cole predicts that "the Nintendo DS could eventually become the best-selling game system ever in five years."
Old 09-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #129
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm just the opposite on Warhawk. Like using the analog sticks. I am glad that they gave the option to use the sticks or motion control to fly the Warhawks. It's just a bad design decision to only allow one or the other.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree that there needs to be an option.

But using the Sixaxis controls means that the navigation analog suddenly becomes a free-targeting reticle. If you're good with the Sixaxis, you have much more freedom in targeting enemy craft.

Quote:
How does the motion control work in Heavenly Sword? Didn't even know they were trying to do something like that. Doesn't sound like a good fit.

Well, there's some basic stuff like 'jerk the controller if you get knocked into the air,' and you recover by attacking an enemy on the ground.

That's fine. It's basic, it works, and it's not that disruptive.

"Aftertouch," though, where you can guide a projectile...doing that with the Sixaxis sucks balls. You can turn that off and just guide it with the analog sticks, which isn't nearly as big a pain in the ass, but Sixaxis Aftertouch is the default.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #130
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But using the Sixaxis controls means that the navigation analog suddenly becomes a free-targeting reticle. If you're good with the Sixaxis, you have much more freedom in targeting enemy craft.

Good point. Forgot that was an option.

I'm a huge fan of land mines and missile turrets. I've put a lot of people out of commission with those two defensive weapons.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New gameplay footage of Little Big Planet at TGS:

http://au.media.ps3.ign.com/media/85...80/vids_1.html
Old 09-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI to those in the UK. Street date for Halo 3 has been broken by a store called Argos. Here's a list of some of the voices used in the game per the credits.

Nathan Fillion (Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly)
Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb in Firefly)
Alan Tudyk (Wash in Firefly)
Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica)
John DiMaggio (Bender in Futurama and Marcus Fenix in Gears of War)
Terence Stamp (General Zod in Superman II)
Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New MGS4 trailer just released on the internet. It's getting hammered right now, so might want to wait until later.......

http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/t...gs4_pr_hdv.wmv
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Info on early release of Halo 3.........

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09...layers-banned/

Quote:
Halo 3 street date broken, early players banned? [update]

Posted Sep 19th 2007 11:50AM by Richard Mitchell
Filed under: News, Halo 3

Reports are flying, literally flying into the X3F Report Catcher® that UK retailer Argos has broken the September 25th street date for Halo 3. The news originates from Eurogamer, where users of its forum noticed a message on the retailer's website claiming that they could pick up their reserved copies of the game today. First of all, if you live in the UK, you're probably out of luck now as the retailer has caught on to the mistake. Second, if you did manage to snag a copy, you still might not want to play it, as Pro-G is reporting that players are having their Live accounts banned by Microsoft. Why Microsoft would punish consumers for a retailer's mistake is beyond us, but we'll wait for an official response before casting judgment. In the meantime, keep that DVD out of your Xbox! Alternately, make sure you tell us if your console has been banned.

[Update: We forgot to mention that playing Halo 3 while disconnected from Xbox Live will not protect players from a ban. The Xbox records the date that a game is played, so early players will be banned as soon as they connect to Xbox Live.]

Quote:
MS confirms to Pro-G that consumers will not be banned for playing Halo 3 before official release.
Playing this will no longer get you banned from Xbox LIVE

Microsoft has backtracked on its original threat to ban the LIVE accounts of gamers who have purchased Halo 3 early following high street retailer Argos' admin error.

Earlier today, a Microsoft rep told Pro-G that gamers who played Halo 3 early would have their LIVE accounts banned. The rep also confirmed that Microsoft was able to ban accounts based on information collected by the console which showed when the game was played.

However, Pro-G has since been contacted by another MS rep, who said the ban only applies to Microsoft employees.

What this means for those of you lucky enough to have taken advantage of the Argos error is that you can start playing the game, if you already weren't, free from retribution.

A full statement from Microsoft on the Halo 3 banning scandal is expected soon

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-19-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More info about Dead Rising 2 from TGS. It appears that it may be multiplatform.

http://www.xbox360wire.co.uk/2007/09...360-exclusive/
Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #136
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I've done the same thing with this thread (not concerning any one single person) but I think it ends up being the nature of console discussions - cause it happens everywhere online. Video games usually not so much. Like the NBA2k8 thread is a good read to keep up to date on it (my fav game) but I try reading through this thread for game/console info since it's centralized and I can't help but sometimes end up chiming in despite knowing better.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #137
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
IGN at TGS reporting that Burnout 3 booths have wireless rumble controllers. Full DualShock 3 announcement expected later tonight.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/821/821010p1.html

but but but rumble is last-gen technology!
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #138
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
but but but rumble is last-gen technology!

If the customer base demands something, does it matter whether it's last-gen tech or not?

I happen to think the initial rationale for why there was no rumble is a load of bunk and hooey...but even if it weren't, if the potential customer base is demanding it, and your sales are struggling, doesn't it make sense to include it, even if you consider it "last-gen"?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #139
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
If the customer base demands something, does it matter whether it's last-gen tech or not?

I happen to think the initial rationale for why there was no rumble is a load of bunk and hooey...but even if it weren't, if the potential customer base is demanding it, and your sales are struggling, doesn't it make sense to include it, even if you consider it "last-gen"?

There was no rumble because they didn't want to pay for it. They finally reached an agreement.

Of course, Sony is the same company that tooted their backwards compatibility hardware as a huge advantage over Microsoft, then dropped it less than a year after release and went the Microsoft route. Which I think was the point of the original post, they are backtracking on many things they touted at the start.

Last edited by gstelmack : 09-19-2007 at 07:42 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #140
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
There was no rumble because they didn't want to pay for it. They finally reached an agreement.

I know that. What I'm saying is that even if you take at face value their statement of it being "last-gen tech" - which I don't - that status doesn't mean that, if the customer base demands it, you shouldn't find a way to appease that.

Quote:
Of course, Sony is the same company that tooted their backwards compatibility hardware as a huge advantage over Microsoft, then dropped it less than a year after release and went the Microsoft route. Which I think was the point of the original post, they are backtracking on many things they touted at the start.

Yes.

Big difference between PS3 and Xbox 360 here? I've plugged nearly every PS2 game I own into the compatibility checker Sony has up, and while there are a handful of games that have issues on the 80 gig (that don't on the 60 gig), they'll at least play. The software emulation for Sony isn't by any means perfect, but it does encompass a far greater scope of the PlayStation library than does the Xbox 360 software emulation.

It's a backtracking, but Microsoft would do well to learn from Sony's implementation there.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #141
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Research firm predicts video game industry will grow to $47B by 2009.......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820687p1.html
I gotta say, I wonder what these guys know (or think they know) that most of the rest of us don't that suggests to them that the PS3 is going to end up blowing past the 360 in sales.

I'm just not seeing any reason on the horizon for that speculation to have any merit.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #142
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I gotta say, I wonder what these guys know (or think they know) that most of the rest of us don't that suggests to them that the PS3 is going to end up blowing past the 360 in sales.

I'm just not seeing any reason on the horizon for that speculation to have any merit.

Japan.

If the PS3 ever gets up off the mat, it's got three territories to draw from, just as the Wii does.

The Xbox 360 is strong in the US, and in solid (but not spectacular) shape in Europe.

Japan? Another story entirely. That's a big part of why the Wii caught up so fast. Nintendo and Sony have credibility in Japan. Microsoft is trying hard to achieve that, but results have been mixed at best.

Problem has been, every time Sony starts to get it together, seems like, they shoot themselves in the foot again. Hard to maintain any kind of momentum when you do that.

If Sony gets it together in reasonably short order, yeah, I could see Xbox 360 finishing a "distant 3rd." The longer that takes, though, the harder that becomes - both because of Xbox 360 sales in the US and Europe, and because it gives Microsoft time to catch lightning in a bottle in a "Sonic the Hedgehog" way.

What I mean by that is, Sega captured early market share from Nintendo in the late '80s when Genesis hit the market, but the reason they finished with ~45% was because Sonic the Hedgehog was a hugely successful franchise for them. Nintendo's leisurely jaunt to the market with the Super Nintendo gave Sega time to find that foothold.

Similar situation here. Right now, Wii is blowing everybody out of the water right there, and as soon as Sony rights the ship, I'd expect them to do the same...but the longer that takes, the more opportunities Microsoft has to hit on something that resonates in Japan in a way they haven't been able to accomplish yet.

That doesn't seem hugely likely in the short term; Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata haven't been the sales drivers Microsoft hoped for over there, but that might also end up being a war of attrition. Maybe Japanese gamers won't buy a 360 *just* for Blue Dragon, or *just* for Trusty Bell, or *just* for Lost Odyseey...but eventually prices come down and the combination of that and an amalgamated library might spark some interest.

It doesn't have to spark Wii-level interest, either. I know VGCharts isn't the most reputable tracker out there, but let's use the chart they have up at:

http://vgcharts.com/page5.html

Pretend those numbers are accurate. The numbers PlayStation 3 has there? Probably not acceptable from Sony's standpoint. I have to think, on the other hand, that Microsoft would cheerfully take the year Sony's had in Japan, and if they ever manage to do that, it will make them much harder to pass for second place, especially if Sony hasn't managed to get the motor running before that happens.

With a 4.5-1 sales advantage in Japan, though, if Sony gets off the mat before Microsoft begins to see sustainable movement, that's going to be the roundhouse blow that puts Microsoft in the global caboose again.

The problem is, if, if, if. There's a lot of "ifs," and every day that passes is a day off the calendar for this generation.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #143
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not buying it. Look at the breakdown of Japan as part of the overall market, both last gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) and current gen (PS3, 360, Wii):

Last Gen:
Japan = 29.97M (18.2%)
US = 76.91M (46.8%)
Other = 57.36M (34.9%)

Current Gen:
Japan = 5.21M (19.1%)
US = 13.73M (50.4%)
Other = 8.31M (30.5%)

So basically the Japanese market constitutes 18-19% of the worldwide home console market. That's a decent-sized chunk, but consider that to this point, the 360 has been kicking the PS3's ass in the U.S. (with the notable exception of the month after the PS3 price dropped and before the 360 price dropped), a market which comprises 47-50% of the overall worldwide market. There's still a 6+M unit gap between the 360 and PS3 currently.

Even granting that the 360 will get creamed in Japan, the PS3 is going to have to close the notable edge the 360 has displayed in the U.S. in weekly sales in order for their edge in Japan to make a significant difference - and that's just to draw even. They will also have to start pulling ahead in the non-U.S., non-Japan market as well - currently the 360 and PS3 are roughly equal since the PS3 launched on weekly sales (and the 360 has made a big jump recently since their price cut).

So, yeah - the 360 will lose badly in Japan, much like the Xbox did. But that still leaves 81-82% of the worldwide market, and so far the 360 is winning those areas (outselling the PS3 in the U.S. on a weekly basis and about equal elsewhere, with a recent surge favoring the 360) and it already has a 6+M unit lead.

What makes anyone think that the PS3 is going to reverse their disadvantage in the U.S. market and pull decisively ahead in the European/Australian market? Is there some list of PS3 exclusives in the next 1-2 years that trumps the 360 exclusives? Is there some reason to think Blu-Ray demand is going to jump through the roof and be a reason for driving PS3 sales? Does anyone think MS is going to let Sony price drop their way into the race without matching them?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #144
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm not buying it. Look at the breakdown of Japan as part of the overall market, both last gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) and current gen (PS3, 360, Wii):

Last Gen:
Japan = 29.97M (18.2%)
US = 76.91M (46.8%)
Other = 57.36M (34.9%)

Current Gen:
Japan = 5.21M (19.1%)
US = 13.73M (50.4%)
Other = 8.31M (30.5%)

So basically the Japanese market constitutes 18-19% of the worldwide home console market. That's a decent-sized chunk, but consider that to this point, the 360 has been kicking the PS3's ass in the U.S. (with the notable exception of the month after the PS3 price dropped and before the 360 price dropped), a market which comprises 47-50% of the overall worldwide market. There's still a 6+M unit gap between the 360 and PS3 currently.

Even granting that the 360 will get creamed in Japan, the PS3 is going to have to close the notable edge the 360 has displayed in the U.S. in weekly sales in order for their edge in Japan to make a significant difference - and that's just to draw even. They will also have to start pulling ahead in the non-U.S., non-Japan market as well - currently the 360 and PS3 are roughly equal since the PS3 launched on weekly sales (and the 360 has made a big jump recently since their price cut).

So, yeah - the 360 will lose badly in Japan, much like the Xbox did. But that still leaves 81-82% of the worldwide market, and so far the 360 is winning those areas (outselling the PS3 in the U.S. on a weekly basis and about equal elsewhere, with a recent surge favoring the 360) and it already has a 6+M unit lead.

What makes anyone think that the PS3 is going to reverse their disadvantage in the U.S. market and pull decisively ahead in the European/Australian market? Is there some list of PS3 exclusives in the next 1-2 years that trumps the 360 exclusives? Is there some reason to think Blu-Ray demand is going to jump through the roof and be a reason for driving PS3 sales? Does anyone think MS is going to let Sony price drop their way into the race without matching them?

I don't see it either
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not buying it.

The trump cards are still in the deck for Sony. MGS4 is going to be a key indicator for whether Sony can make headway. There are multiple titles for Sony that have similar pull, but MGS4 is the first big one to be released. If MGS4 doesn't provide a significant boost on release in Feb/March, then the analysts will likely switch their discussion to 'if MGS4 couldn't draw in the consumers, will FFXIII, FFXIII Versus, GT5, etc. do any better?'.

Blu-ray is already a big advantage in Japan and Europe with a 96% share in Japan and roughly a 3:1 ratio of sales in Europe. The U.S. remains the sole battleground in that regard. The PS3 is regarded by most video review websites as the best BR player. Quality is great and the ease of pushing firmware is a big benefit. With that said, I still don't think that this will be what decides whether the PS3 does well or not.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New trailer released for The Last Remnant.......

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25174.html
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #147
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

List released of current and upcoming titles for the PS3 that will have rumble enabled. Rumble controllers have a release date of Winter 2007 for Japan and Spring 2008 for EU and North America......

Quote:
LIST OF PLAYSTATION 3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK 3 IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE *2
As of September 20th, 2007

* The Darkness
* Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
* Soldier of Fortune
* BIOHAZARD® 5
* Devil May Cry® 4
* N-Cube
* Warbit
* Dark Sector
* Turok
* Highlander
* Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
* Burnout Paradise
* FIFA franchise (title name TBD)
* Legendary: The Box
* To End All Wars
* RAGE
* WarDevil - Unleash the Beast Within
* Dynasty Warriors 6
* Fatal Inertia
* METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
* Blacksite: Area 51
* TNA Wrestling
* Unreal Tournament 3
* Wheelman
* Cops (codename, title name TBD)
* Planet One (codename, title name TBD)
* Heroes over Europe
* Condemned 2
* Iron Man
* The Club
* The Crucible
* The Incredible Hulk
* Blast Factor (*1)
* echochrome
* Elefunk
* Folklore (*1)
* FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION (*1)
* Go! Sports Ski (*1)
* Heavenly Sword (*1)
* High Velocity Bowling
* MLB 08: The Show
* MotorStorm (*1)
* NBA 08 (*1)
* PAIN
* Rat Race
* Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
* Resistance: Fall of Man (*1)
* Snakeball
* SOCOM: Confrontation
* Super Stardust HD (*1)
* TOY HOME
* Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
* Warhawk (*1)
* WipEout HD
* GripShift®
* NBA 2K8
* Destroy All Humans 3
* Stuntman Ignition
* Assassin's Creed
* BEOWULF
* HAZE
* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (*1)
* Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (*1)
* Prototype
* The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

(*1) Users will be able to enjoy the rumble feature through software update.
(*2) Actual titles to be released may vary among countries and regions.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #148
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
The trump cards are still in the deck for Sony. MGS4 is going to be a key indicator for whether Sony can make headway. There are multiple titles for Sony that have similar pull, but MGS4 is the first big one to be released. If MGS4 doesn't provide a significant boost on release in Feb/March, then the analysts will likely switch their discussion to 'if MGS4 couldn't draw in the consumers, will FFXIII, FFXIII Versus, GT5, etc. do any better?'.

Blu-ray is already a big advantage in Japan and Europe with a 96% share in Japan and roughly a 3:1 ratio of sales in Europe. The U.S. remains the sole battleground in that regard. The PS3 is regarded by most video review websites as the best BR player. Quality is great and the ease of pushing firmware is a big benefit. With that said, I still don't think that this will be what decides whether the PS3 does well or not.

What is MGS4
Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
What is MGS4

Sorry. Metal Gear Solid 4.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #150
MikeVic
Head Coach

Who was the one that said something about what it takes to be a hardcore gamer?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote