Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #101
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Colts re-sign Gary Brackett

And for some reason I love this quote from Brackett's agent

"It's a winning team and, coming from Rutgers, he understands how hard it is to play for a team that's not winning. He's looking forward to winning a Super Bowl."
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #102
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Colts re-sign Gary Brackett

And for some reason I love this quote from Brackett's agent

"It's a winning team and, coming from Rutgers, he understands how hard it is to play for a team that's not winning. He's looking forward to winning a Super Bowl."

He should have signed somewhere else then.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Colts could very well be fuct.

Colts | Ruling impacts team's salary cap status
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:10:53 -0800
Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports a ruling Wednesday, March 1, by an NFL arbitrator specifically regarding the contracts of QB Peyton Manning and WR Marvin Harrison could result in several significant player cuts by the Indianapolis Colts as they attempt to comply with the league's projected 2006 salary cap of $95 million. At issue, for now, are roster bonuses of $9 million due Manning and $10 million due Harrison. The Colts intended to implement a normal bookkeeping maneuver that converts a roster bonus into a signing bonus and prorating it over the next four years. That would have lowered Manning's 2006 cap number from $17.766 million to $10 million and Harrison's cap hit from $14.4 million to $6.9 million. The lack of an extension carries restrictive guidelines regarding player contracts, including the conversion of roster bonuses. According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, arbitrator Stephen Burbank ruled such conversions are prohibited under the labor agreement if they violate the so-called "30 percent rule,'' which keeps base salaries from increasing more than 30 percent each year over the first year of the contract. It's believed a special master's ruling is final, but Colts' owner Jim Irsay said the issue is far from resolved.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #104
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The NFL is delaying free agency three days, which means the 10 PM deadline tonight is now 10 PM Sunday. No more Bloody Thursday.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #105
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The NFL is delaying free agency three days, which means the 10 PM deadline tonight is now 10 PM Sunday. No more Bloody Thursday.

They just want to use U2 for the soundtrack.

I'm not sure what I think about moving the deadline back. I imagine some teams have made cuts with the previous deadline in mind.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #106
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

What about those teams that cut players in anticipation of the standard Thursday deadline? I know the Dolphins didn't want to restructure Sammy's contract, but $3.42 for him seems a reasonable price that if they had the extra $10m room I'm sure he would have stayed at least for now...

Code:
A team spokesman said all the cuts were motivated primarily by economics and meeting the salary cap rather than the organization being unhappy with any player's individual performance.

Last edited by AlexB : 03-02-2006 at 04:38 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #107
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
What about those teams that cut players in anticipation of the standard Thursday deadline? I know the Dolphins didn't want to restructure Sammy's contract, but $3.42 for him seems a reasonable price that if they had the extra $10m room I'm sure he would have stayed at least for now...

Code:
A team spokesman said all the cuts were motivated primarily by economics and meeting the salary cap rather than the organization being unhappy with any player's individual performance.

I don't know. I saw Chris Mortensen earlier on SportsCenter and he said that because of the delay of free agency, teams that cut players on Thursday could have those revoked.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #108
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know. I saw Chris Mortensen earlier on SportsCenter and he said that because of the delay of free agency, teams that cut players on Thursday could have those revoked.

"No hard feelings guys."
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #109
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

So the NFL is going to use the "Save/Reload" cheat?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #110
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Dude, it's all in the .ini file.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #111
Cuckoo
College Starter

Cowboys cut La'Roi Glover.

As a Dallas fan, that's really too bad. It makes sense because of the money he was owed and his diminished role in the 3-4, but he's the kind of player you just don't want to lose.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #112
JeeberD
General Manager

La'Roi will be missed. Hell of a player and hell of a good guy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #113
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Cowboys cut La'Roi Glover.

As a Dallas fan, that's really too bad. It makes sense because of the money he was owed and his diminished role in the 3-4, but he's the kind of player you just don't want to lose.

Dear God, please send an angel to overtake Mike Brown's body and offer a large check to La'Roi Glover.

Amen

Oh, and I want a pony
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #114
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Scooper: I'm hoping for Sam Adms. He's the big run stuffer we need and he has said publicly that he wants to play for Marvin.

When was the last time a free agent lobbied to get to Cinci?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #115
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Scooper: I'm hoping for Sam Adams. He's the big run stuffer we need and he has said publicly that he wants to play for Marvin.

When was the last time a free agent lobbied to get to Cinci?

How about cutting Thornton and signing both? (pipe dream, I know)

I like Shaun Smith, that would make for a nice DT rotation.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #116
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I also hope we can get one of the many safties on the market. I doubt we can afford Archuleta or Hope, but Chavous or Dexter Jackson would be a big upgrade and a nice compliment to M. Williams.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #117
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
How about cutting Thornton and signing both? (pipe dream, I know)

I like Shaun Smith, that would make for a nice DT rotation.
I love this idea. Thornton is a good guy but he's a fucking pussy on the field. he gets his ass handed to him by second rate O-linemen.

I'm loving the fact that so many bigtime D-line guys are out there. What about Brentson Buckner? He always got good press in Carolina, is he worth bringing into the jungle?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #118
scooper
College Benchwarmer

If not, this is a very strong safety draft. Finding another Madieu to go with signing one of those DT's would go a long way toward fixing this defense.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #119
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I love this idea. Thornton is a good guy but he's a fucking pussy on the field. he gets his ass handed to him by second rate O-linemen.

I'm loving the fact that so many bigtime D-line guys are out there. What about Brentson Buckner? He always got good press in Carolina, is he worth bringing into the jungle?

Buckner's the oldest of the bunch, you have to consider that. And the fact that was was often surrounded by the best DL in the league.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to sign a starting SS and draft a guy that can replace Kaes. He's a great energy guy, but he always seems to be chasing guys from behind.

If I was in charge I'd go for Adams and Dexter Jackson and get a backup CB, S and WR in the draft.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #121
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Buckner's the oldest of the bunch, you have to consider that. And the fact that was was often surrounded by the best DL in the league.
Ahh, I've no idea how old any of them are. I know Sam's getting up there but he's still a monster in the middle of the defense, and with our ends being strong I think adding him would be a huge move towards locking down the run game.

A second quality safetey to compliment Medieu would definitely be a good thing. Just not sure how many guys we have the room to sign, and remember the deals at thise point can't be real long term either because of all the political BS going on in the league.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #122
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to what I've reead we have between 4-5 mil for free agents. That should be plenty for a safety and a DT as long as we don't go after the top guys at those positions.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #123
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'd love to sign a starting SS and draft a guy that can replace Kaes. He's a great energy guy, but he always seems to be chasing guys from behind.

If I was in charge I'd go for Adams and Dexter Jackson and get a backup CB, S and WR in the draft.

Kaes will stick around for his versatility. He can play any spot in a pinch and at times is very opportunistic. What's needed is a replacement for OhIhatetotackle. I'd not be surprised is Madieu and Kaes are the only holdovers at safety, other than the practice squad guys.

Nice thing about Madieu is, he'll almost be like adding a free agent this year. He lost most of last season.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #124
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
According to what I've reead we have between 4-5 mil for free agents. That should be plenty for a safety and a DT as long as we don't go after the top guys at those positions.

Never go by Hobson's "woe is us" cap number. Marvin has said in the past-the cap is fluid. There are some guys currently taking up space that won't be around next year.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #125
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Scooper: Of course, but we have to start somewhere. As it stands we have 4-5 mil available outside of any current contracts. I don't think that's a woe is us number when most of the NFL is over the cap.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #126
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Also consider that an experienced QB has to be signed with that space, be it Kitna or somebody else.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #127
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh, and I want a pony

Me too. And her name shall be Princess.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #128
Swaggs
Coordinator

Tommy Maddox and Willie Williams get the axe from Pittsburgh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2352987

They both had some good years in the black and gold, but neither had much left in the tank.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #129
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From ESPN's FAQ about the labor dispute

Quote:
What happens if a team doesn't comply with the salary cap?
No team has ever gone over the salary cap, so this is a bit of an unknown. However, teams have been fined in the past for attempts to circumvent the cap. ESPN.com contributor and former Miami Dolphins GM Rick Spielman says NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has wide latitude in fining teams -- and even individual team executives -- or stripping draft picks for failure to comply with the salary cap.
With some teams in dire cap shape, we could see sooner than later just how wide the commissioner's latitude is. The Washington Redskins are one team to watch in this regard, since some other clubs that have studied the Redskins' cap closely have suggested Washington cannot mathematically get into compliance.

If the Redskins cannot get under the cap, Tags should take away draft picks.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #130
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jets cut Mawae and are able to restructure Pennington's deal.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #131
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Kerry Collins has been cut by the Raiders and the Bucs have restructured Derrick Brooks' deal.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-05-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #132
Craptacular
College Starter

Packers re-sign Ahman Green for one-year, $3 million base, plus up to $2 million in incentives. Seems like a good deal for both sides.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #133
Craptacular
College Starter

ESPN News is reporting that Shaun Alexander agreed to an eight-year, 60-something million dollar contract with a pretty significant portion of that guaranteed.

edit: Obviously, since it's before midnight eastern, it was with Seattle.

Last edited by Craptacular : 03-05-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #134
Craptacular
College Starter

More news: The start of free agency has been pushed back another 72 hours to 12:01 AM Thursday.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #135
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Isaac Bruce has been released.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #136
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Ack, now John Clayton on ESPNEWS has said that because of the delay of FA, teams can again rescind cuts made. He mentioned Kerry Collins and Isaac Bruce specifically.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #137
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ack, now John Clayton on ESPNEWS has said that because of the delay of FA, teams can again rescind cuts made. He mentioned Kerry Collins and Isaac Bruce specifically.

This is really getting silly.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #138
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Don't know if this will stick but the Redskins have waived LaVar Arrington.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #139
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Packers re-sign Ahman Green for one-year, $3 million base, plus up to $2 million in incentives. Seems like a good deal for both sides.

I'm glad they got Ahman back, but $3 million seems like a bit much for a guy coming off a serious leg injury. Add to that the fact that Ahman looked to be slowing down before the injury, and I kinda wonder what TT is thinking.

Last edited by Fonzie : 03-05-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #140
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular

dola-

I saw those numbers reversed on JSOnline.com. $2million in base, $3 million in incentives. That's a bit better, but TT might still be overpaying a tad.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #141
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

More on this is that according to Mort, Arrington is giving the Redskins $4 million to release him.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #142
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I keep seeing a Seinfeld episode in my head when I read this.

Is there a chance that Arrington won't "turn his key"?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #143
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
More on this is that according to Mort, Arrington is giving the Redskins $4 million to release him.

Okay, that's just too damn funny.

"What will it take? Here's 4 million dollars. Please let me off this God forsaken team."
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #144
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, just wow, the NFL is going to shit in a handbasket....

Mawae and Arrington would be some damn fine additions in Cincy, I'd love to snag at least one of the roadblock type DT's too.

This is gonna get ugly before its over.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #145
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Shaun Alexander signed a long-term deal with the Seahawks.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #146
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Apparently the Eagles are going to cut Mike McMahon and Whatever Detmer they have and bring in Jeff Garcia as their back-up quarterback.

Hmm, release McMahon and replace him with Garcia... Hmm... Where have we seen this before?

His amazingly hot girlfriend aside, Jeff Garcia is a bitch. He was a bitch in Cleveland and remained a bitch in Detroit. He was an irritating personality and he sucked on the field. Good luck with him, Philly. Hope that McNabb's sports hernia thing is all healed up. I imagine Garcia is an improvement over McMahon and Detmer, but not a significant one. He's a bitch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #147
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Rams | Glover signed
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:52:30 -0800
ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams have signed free agent DT La'Roi Glover (Cowboys) to a three-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

If FA hasn't started yet, how can the above happen?

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #148
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Apparently the Eagles are going to cut Mike McMahon and Whatever Detmer they have and bring in Jeff Garcia as their back-up quarterback.

Hmm, release McMahon and replace him with Garcia... Hmm... Where have we seen this before?

His amazingly hot girlfriend aside, Jeff Garcia is a bitch. He was a bitch in Cleveland and remained a bitch in Detroit. He was an irritating personality and he sucked on the field. Good luck with him, Philly. Hope that McNabb's sports hernia thing is all healed up. I imagine Garcia is an improvement over McMahon and Detmer, but not a significant one. He's a bitch.

I've never understood why people can't stand Jeff Garcia. While he was a 49er, he was fine. Though I guess with an asshole like T.O. on the team, it's easy to overlook Garcia.

There's some joke involving the Team America speech about Dicks, Pussies and Assholes in here, and I just can't put it together.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #149
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I've never understood why people can't stand Jeff Garcia. While he was a 49er, he was fine. Though I guess with an asshole like T.O. on the team, it's easy to overlook Garcia.

There's some joke involving the Team America speech about Dicks, Pussies and Assholes in here, and I just can't put it together.

As a 49er, he seemed fine. I even thought that the Cleveland thing was just a good guy in a bad situation. I was initially excited by his hire. I wanted to like him, I really did. I was more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Then, as the year played out in Detroit, his asshole-i-tutde and bitchiness started showing through more and more. He whined and moaned and was always pointing the finger. He came across like a jack-ass during interviews. It was very unseemly.

It's pretty rare that I dislike any athlete who plays for one of the teams I like. I tend to give players quite a bit of leeway and I'm not the type to blame all of a team's woes on one guy (see, eg, Joey Harrington or any Red Wings goalie), but there are a handful of players who have rubbed me the wrong way and just come across like jack-asses. Garcia was one of them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #150
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Colts could very well be fuct.

Is that like screwed and duct taped?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote