Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #1251
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Ralph Branca, former MLB pitcher, who gave up famous HR dies
Old 11-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #1252
Logan
Head Coach

Cespedes back to the Mets: 4 years, $110 million.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #1253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Cespedes back to the Mets: 4 years, $110 million.

Not bad. The price per year is high, but only 4 years works for me.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #1254
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not bad. The price per year is high, but only 4 years works for me.

Yeah, keeping it to 4 years was important and probably cost an extra million or so annually.

He's getting $22.5MM next year and $29MM after that. Guess he was willing to go light in year one after pulling in $27.5MM last season.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #1255
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MLB lockout avoided: details of new CBA deal | SI.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #1256
Logan
Head Coach

Thankfully, the ASG will no longer determine WS home field. It will go to the team with the better record (ingenius!).
Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #1257
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well with ubiquitous interleague, I guess there was no reason to not go to that (in the past it was because they didn't play each other enough to know if a team with a better record was actually better or did they play in a weaker league).
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #1258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A thought... is there is a contingency for when both teams have the same record in the WS?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #1259
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
A thought... is there is a contingency for when both teams have the same record in the WS?

Will surely be some kind of tiebreaker to determine it, as they usually do with other ties. But there isn't an official reporting of what will happen yet.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #1260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

probably will be handled with the other collection of coinflips they do in Early September I'd assume?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #1261
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Well with ubiquitous interleague, I guess there was no reason to not go to that (in the past it was because they didn't play each other enough to know if a team with a better record was actually better or did they play in a weaker league).

I fail to see why what you wrote about the past matters unless your only aim is a perfect solution. If interleague play goes away tomorrow, they should still base it on record. I'll take my chances that over a 162 game season, the team that ends up with the best record will be the optimal solution to awarding home field compared to the ASG crap or simply alternating years.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #1262
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm glad they got rid of the AS game determining home field. I'm actually surprised they did as IT MAKES SENSE

Having said that as a Cubs fan that idiotic rule helped the Cubs by giving Cleveland home field advantage. It allowed Schwarber to play in 4 games
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #1263
molson
General Manager

Some other stuff from the agreement:

-the luxury tax threshold goes up, but teams will pay a much higher tax if they go over it.

-Teams that sign a premium free agent will no longer have to give up a first-round draft pick to the team that lost that player. However, teams with payrolls higher than the luxury-tax threshold have to surrender a second-and fifth-round pick. All other teams would be required to forfeit their third-round pick. (Teams that lose a player still get the between-rounds compensatory pick - how high that pick is depends on whether you're in the top or bottom half of markets by size, and whether you're over the luxury tax threshold).

-Smokeless tobacco ban

- Hard salary cap on the total annual dollars that each club can spend to sign foreign-born amateur players.

-4 more off-days during the season for each team

-Increased drug testing including for HGH

-And a bunch of other stuff that isn't known yet involving revenue sharing, pace of game.

Last edited by molson : 12-01-2016 at 11:01 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #1264
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

wow smokeless tobacco ban seems like a big change.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #1265
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
wow smokeless tobacco ban seems like a big change.

Will this force Markus to implement "Tobacco Withdrawal Syndrome" like we saw in FOF?

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 12-01-2016 at 11:09 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #1266
molson
General Manager

Oh, and the smokeless tobacco thing will be grandfathered in, it only applies to new players. So in 15 years or so we'll have the random old-guy clinging to the old ways, just like when I was a kid and there was a handful of hockey players who still didn't wear helmets.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #1267
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
-Teams that sign a premium free agent will no longer have to give up a first-round draft pick to the team that lost that player. However, teams with payrolls higher than the luxury-tax threshold have to surrender a second-and fifth-round pick. All other teams would be required to forfeit their third-round pick. (Teams that lose a player still get the between-rounds compensatory pick - how high that pick is depends on whether you're in the top or bottom half of markets by size, and whether you're over the luxury tax threshold).

That seems like a step in the right direction, but also seems needlessly complicated.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #1268
molson
General Manager

Ya, it sounds like a compromise, where they're basically moving numerous sliders back and forth to get to an agreeable spot. But I think that's cool that the union and owners are communicating well these days. Fewer lines that one side or the other just refuse to cross, like the players once did with drug testing and payroll restrictions.

Last edited by molson : 12-01-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #1269
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cutch possibly getting traded to the Nationals. Seems like it would be a good move for the Pirates cause Marte in Center really needs to happen.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #1270
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cutch possibly getting traded to the Nationals. Seems like it would be a good move for the Pirates cause Marte in Center really needs to happen.

As a Mets fan, I hope the Nats give up a ton for him and give him a nice expensive long term deal. Maybe last year was just a blip for him but when I see steals going down like that and strikeouts going up, seems like a good indicator of a guy whose best days are on the path of being way behind him.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #1271
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
As a Mets fan, I hope the Nats give up a ton for him and give him a nice expensive long term deal. Maybe last year was just a blip for him but when I see steals going down like that and strikeouts going up, seems like a good indicator of a guy whose best days are on the path of being way behind him.

If he can play defense and be better than Ben Revere at the plate, that's all that matters. Lets the Nats put Turner back in the infield where he belongs as well.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #1272
Logan
Head Coach

Didn't catch that he has a team option for 2018 and won't be a FA like I originally thought so that changes it a bit.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #1273
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
If he can play defense and be better than Ben Revere at the plate, that's all that matters. Lets the Nats put Turner back in the infield where he belongs as well.

Depending on the price. Defense and below replacement level production doesn't usually cost $14MM plus prospects.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #1274
mckerney
Coordinator

Whew, they finally got rid of the stupid All Star Game gimmick.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #1275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty sure his defense is bad to awful by the advanced metrics. Doesn't seem to be that great at the plate right now either.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #1276
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Depending on the price. Defense and below replacement level production doesn't usually cost $14MM plus prospects.

Players don't usually completely lose it at age 29 after 5 years of being a great player. I'd be willing to bank on him not being the bad player he was last season for a package built around Ross, Fedde, and a position prospect other than Robles.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #1277
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pretty sure his defense is bad to awful by the advanced metrics. Doesn't seem to be that great at the plate right now either.

He has been pretty bad in the field recently, but still not Ben Revere bad, and his bat was great for 5 years before falling off a cliff last year. I'm okay with buying low with only one year guaranteed remaining on his contract.

The much bigger deal is what they give up to get Chris Sale.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #1278
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I fail to see why what you wrote about the past matters unless your only aim is a perfect solution. If interleague play goes away tomorrow, they should still base it on record. I'll take my chances that over a 162 game season, the team that ends up with the best record will be the optimal solution to awarding home field compared to the ASG crap or simply alternating years.

That just doesn't make any sense to me if the teams from the leagues don't play each other. It's like having a series between the MLB champ and Japan's league champ and having it based on which team had the better record.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #1279
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That just doesn't make any sense to me if the teams from the leagues don't play each other. It's like having a series between the MLB champ and Japan's league champ and having it based on which team had the better record.

I'll still take something earned on the field, by the teams actually competing in the World Series, and not based on a coin flip or something as dumb as other players not actually participating in the WS driving the outcome.

Again, not looking for perfect. Just optimal.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #1280
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Players don't usually completely lose it at age 29 after 5 years of being a great player. I'd be willing to bank on him not being the bad player he was last season for a package built around Ross, Fedde, and a position prospect other than Robles.

FTR, "defense and below replacement level production" was a reference to Revere, not McCutcheon.

I doubt he's as bad as last year either, but like I said, when a guy's SBs steadily fall off a cliff as his strikeout numbers steadily rise, those are ominous signs.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #1281
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Usually? No, but it does happen and he hits every red flag with age related decline there is. Walks are down, defense fell off a cliff, and hard contact down. Looks more like the makings of Matt Kemp 2.0 than a 1 year blip.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #1282
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

They play 144 games in Japan. We also call it a world series when it isn't quite that inclusive either.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #1283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll still take something earned on the field, by the teams actually competing in the World Series, and not based on a coin flip or something as dumb as other players not actually participating in the WS driving the outcome.

Again, not looking for perfect. Just optimal.

And, like I said, if the leagues didn't play each other at all, to me, optimal wouldn't be giving it to the team with the best record because there is no real point of comparison. I'd argue in that case an odd/even or coin flip may be more optimal when lacking knowledge of the relative strength of each league.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #1284
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Best record for WS home field is no different than a coin flip; when the teams don't play anywhere close to the same schedules. Maybe if they eliminate two teams, go back to 28 teams and play each team 6 games (3 home/3 away). There is your 162 games and a level field.

The people wanting it will complain the first time a team playing in a weak division hosts it because they had 1 more win, thanks to bulking up on division wins, than a team that was clearly the better team but was playing in the toughest division.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #1285
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

the asking price for mccutcheon is insane, hes not 25 and cheap anymore....I understand the window is small...but this just seems like a bad deal.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #1286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Oh, and the smokeless tobacco thing will be grandfathered in, it only applies to new players. So in 15 years or so we'll have the random old-guy clinging to the old ways, just like when I was a kid and there was a handful of hockey players who still didn't wear helmets.

I doubt it. It's been banned now in the minor leagues for several years. The Tony Gwynn situation scared a lot of players. Also, there's a good chunk of ML cities that already have banned smokeless tobacco sales. If anything, I think baseball is doing it because most of the work has already been done and it's not too tough to implement at this point.

Smokeless tobacco might be far less common among big league newcomers | Fox News

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-02-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #1287
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Best record for WS home field is no different than a coin flip; when the teams don't play anywhere close to the same schedules. Maybe if they eliminate two teams, go back to 28 teams and play each team 6 games (3 home/3 away). There is your 162 games and a level field.

The people wanting it will complain the first time a team playing in a weak division hosts it because they had 1 more win, thanks to bulking up on division wins, than a team that was clearly the better team but was playing in the toughest division.

Yep exactly. It may not have mattered all that much this year (the Cubs played a weaker division, but had far more wins than Cleveland), but can anyone really tell me, when looking at their divisions, that Washington was a better team than Boston even though they won 2 more games?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #1288
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bye bye Jamie!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #1289
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Bye bye Jamie!

That guy was frustrating. So much potential. Always hurt.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #1290
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
That guy was frustrating. So much potential. Always hurt.

Agreed... to me at times, almost looked like he didn't really care too much out there on the mound, but that's just me probably. I do wish him well in Atlanta but glad he's gone.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #1291
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Now the World Series team with the better record will host Games 1, 2, 6 and 7, a common-sense solution that ends the charade of tying the outcome of an exhibition to the sport’s signature event. If the teams have identical records, the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head record; the second, divisional record.

Baseball Labor Deal Turns All-Star Game Back Into an Exhibition

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-05-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #1292
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shohei Otani eyeing move to MLB after 2017 season

Quote:
Otani went 10-4 as a pitcher and batted .322 with a career-high 22 home runs this season for the Fighters, earning Pacific League MVP honors.

Otani became the first player in Nippon Professional Baseball history to secure a spot on the Pacific League's Best Nine team as a pitcher and designated hitter and is credited with throwing the fastest pitch in NPB history at 165 kph (102 mph).

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #1293
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Supposedly the Cubs have been monitoring him for a while now.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #1294
Logan
Head Coach

Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, and two other prospects.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #1295
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, and two other prospects.
Looks like Basabe & Victor Diaz, so not the Armageddon of including Swihart/Devers/Groome I wouldn't put past Dombrowski.

I think Moncada is overrated due to having a sexy game (like Devers better at 3B & it's not like we should need any OF'ers or a 2B for a few years) and Kopech could still easily flame out or end up in the bullpen, so I like this trade in a vacuum. It's just terrible when you combine it with trading Espinoza for Pomeranz and Margot/Asuaja/Allen for Kimbrel (and not reversing the Pomeranz deal when we had a chance due to Preller's shadiness.)

Team should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years because it'll be carried by the young core, but I really enjoyed using our financial muscle to have the best player development system in baseball and a homegrown core instead of trying to chase super teams. Because those always work out so well
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #1296
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Looks like Basabe & Victor Diaz, so not the Armageddon of including Swihart/Devers/Groome I wouldn't put past Dombrowski.

I think Moncada is overrated due to having a sexy game (like Devers better at 3B & it's not like we should need any OF'ers or a 2B for a few years) and Kopech could still easily flame out or end up in the bullpen, so I like this trade in a vacuum. It's just terrible when you combine it with trading Espinoza for Pomeranz and Margot/Asuaja/Allen for Kimbrel (and not reversing the Pomeranz deal when we had a chance due to Preller's shadiness.)

Team should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years because it'll be carried by the young core, but I really enjoyed using our financial muscle to have the best player development system in baseball and a homegrown core instead of trying to chase super teams. Because those always work out so well

Getting Sale is big. It's going to come down to whether or not his arm slot leads to significant shoulder/elbow problems sometime soon. I watch him pitch and it just looks like a ticking time bomb ready to blow. Healthy he's a true ace and gives the Red Sox a really nice rotation.

I think Moncada is #1 prospect in baseball good. He has an advanced approach for his age, has developing power, and the upside is off the charts. Kopech was the best pitcher in the AFL this year, but he has to show he has at least some command and the ability to throw more than 100 innings per year.

All in all I think it's a good risk for the Red Sox and a hell of a return by the White Sox for a player they desperately needed to move for prospects like this.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #1297
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Getting Sale is big. It's going to come down to whether or not his arm slot leads to significant shoulder/elbow problems sometime soon. I watch him pitch and it just looks like a ticking time bomb ready to blow. Healthy he's a true ace and gives the Red Sox a really nice rotation.
Seems like it's less about his arm slot and more his timing and mechanics. He loads up his shoulder and elbow more than average which has the benefit of giving him greater whiplash action of his arm coming through the delivery, but putting greater stress on the joints. The mechanics aren't the same, but he does lift his elbow way up and swing his shoulder far back similar to guys like Mark Prior, Joel Zumaya, Anthony Reyes and others.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #1298
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's a good trade for both teams. White Sox got the best possible haul they could ask for from a team. Red Sox got a true ace under control for a few years.

Assuming now that the Sox move Frazier, Robertson and maybe Quintana. A Quintana/Robertson deal to the Nationals would make a lot of sense.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #1299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like the Wade Davis trade rumors are heating up. Looks like the Cubs and Nationals are the main suitors. Would think that the Nationals would be able to provide a better deal for the Royals.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #1300
Drake
assmaster

I've wanted Sale for like 3 years, so I'm just going to rubber stamp this one.

This is one of those rare fan moments (personally) when there's a guy you love to watch play the game and he suddenly lands on your team. Probably the only thing that would have made me happier would have been a bizarro-universe deal that brought Kershaw to the Red Sox.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote