Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #1051
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

On another note; I think Indians versus Cubs pretty much means we are all screwed. I think this is the 7th sign.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #1052
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Oh he's gonna throw the last pitch of the season.

After four more wins.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #1053
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Cubs are good, no mistake about it. But they have also been beyond fortunate. The Dodgers sloppy fielding and mental lapses have contributed greatly to their 3 losses.

Fortune/luck/unbelievable luck is the thing in sports talked about least when a lot of times it matters the most. I tell Broncos fans how lucky we were last year and people start screaming at me "we made our own luck" "our defense was historic" "stop insulting us"

(note: this is the same thing a lot of Chiefs fans blasted me on a few years ago when I told them they were living on a house of cards that was about to come crashing down. My hatred of the Chiefs because I brought up that point still gets brought up)

You need great players. You need role players to step up. And a lot of times you need that seeing eye single with the bases loaded, you need that fumbled ball to fall in your lap, you need the puck to take the goofy bounce. . . Look at all of the great dynasties of our lifetimes and you can see MASSIVE luck that was in play. Patriots, Yankees, Steelers, I could go on and on.

My point? Yeah, the Cubs were lucky, but most teams who succeed are.

Congrats to the Cubs and their truly loyal fans. They deserve this.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #1054
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
On another note; I think Indians versus Cubs pretty much means we are all screwed. I think this is the 7th sign.

Isn't our election the true 7th sign? This is just a confirmation.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #1055
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No matter what sport, you have to have a bounce here and there go your way, especially in the insanity of playoffs. And I sure as hell won't deny they got some bounces.

But this Cubs team is fucking incredibly talented, too. I can't understate how amazing of job Theo has done basically gutting this team and rebuilding it from nothing.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #1056
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Isn't our election the true 7th sign? This is just a confirmation.

True
Old 10-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #1057
MrBug708
Head Coach

Congrats to the Cubs
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #1058
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Time to get the Indians hat out of my closet!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #1059
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
No matter what sport, you have to have a bounce here and there go your way, especially in the insanity of playoffs. And I sure as hell won't deny they got some bounces.

But this Cubs team is fucking incredibly talented, too. I can't understate how amazing of job Theo has done basically gutting this team and rebuilding it from nothing.

As all of the teams I mentioned are. The Patriots have the best coach and one of the best QB's in the history of the game. The Yankees and Steelers were loaded from top to bottom. The Broncos defense last year WAS historically great.

And these Cubs are beyond good when it comes to talent. They are loaded. How many Dodgers positional players would you take ahead of their Cubs counterparts? Seager over Russell and. . .

It's an amazing team.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #1060
MrBug708
Head Coach

You bring up a great point about the talent level. The fact that the Dodgers even gave them a series and probably was one terrible pitch away from starting the series 3-0 just shows the chemistry and coaching job Dave Roberts did this year. That being said it's a shame that the Dodgers aren't built to win when Kersahw doesn't pitch great. This year, I really feel worse for Clayton than the team itself. I like him so much as a person, and want him to have a ring more than any player in any sport in my lifetime. It pains me deeply to say it, but his legacy took another hit yesterday. He may arguably be the greatest regular season pitcher in MLB history. What has happened to him on a handful of occasions in the postseason is the most baffling thing I have ever seen in sports. Obviously, the offense was atrocious in game 6. The team talked about giving him run support, and they gave him ZERO. They could not even get hits, let alone runs. But the media will place much of the blame on Kershaw. This is the part I hate. He is such a good dude and it is really crushing to see him struggle. I have finally and stubbornly come to the conclusion he needs two more dominant pitchers on the roster in the postseason. Not just one other, like when they had Greinke. Hill was very good at times as well, but they need to have a deeper rotation. Even when Zack was there, they never went 4-deep like the teams they keep losing to. The Mets had 4 good starters last year, the Cubs this year. Even when they lost to the Cardinals, St. Louis had 4 really good starters. During this 4-year run, the Dodgers have had 2 very good starters and not much else. Ryu was a pretty good 3 the one postseason, but they have never had a real good 1-4. Hopefully Urias and De Leon turn out to be the answer next year. Because asking Kershaw to carry this team has not and will not work. He should NEVER even have to pitch on short rest.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #1061
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

As a lifelong Cubs fan I'm still in shock. I was in tears last night. Before Theo and the host of super prospects arrived, we looked at Javier Baez as being the possible future savior of the franchise. He kind of got lost in the shuffle and justifiably so, but it was great to see him overcome and be the hero. Every single longtime Cubs fan has someone that they're thinking of tonight that didn't live long enough to share this moment with us, and that's what makes it so emotional.

Last edited by IlliniCub : 10-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #1062
Logan
Head Coach

Congrats Cubs fans!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #1063
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You bring up a great point about the talent level. The fact that the Dodgers even gave them a series and probably was one terrible pitch away from starting the series 3-0 just shows the chemistry and coaching job Dave Roberts did this year. That being said it's a shame that the Dodgers aren't built to win when Kersahw doesn't pitch great. This year, I really feel worse for Clayton than the team itself. I like him so much as a person, and want him to have a ring more than any player in any sport in my lifetime. It pains me deeply to say it, but his legacy took another hit yesterday. He may arguably be the greatest regular season pitcher in MLB history. What has happened to him on a handful of occasions in the postseason is the most baffling thing I have ever seen in sports. Obviously, the offense was atrocious in game 6. The team talked about giving him run support, and they gave him ZERO. They could not even get hits, let alone runs. But the media will place much of the blame on Kershaw. This is the part I hate. He is such a good dude and it is really crushing to see him struggle. I have finally and stubbornly come to the conclusion he needs two more dominant pitchers on the roster in the postseason. Not just one other, like when they had Greinke. Hill was very good at times as well, but they need to have a deeper rotation. Even when Zack was there, they never went 4-deep like the teams they keep losing to. The Mets had 4 good starters last year, the Cubs this year. Even when they lost to the Cardinals, St. Louis had 4 really good starters. During this 4-year run, the Dodgers have had 2 very good starters and not much else. Ryu was a pretty good 3 the one postseason, but they have never had a real good 1-4. Hopefully Urias and De Leon turn out to be the answer next year. Because asking Kershaw to carry this team has not and will not work. He should NEVER even have to pitch on short rest.

If someone tries to spin the narrative of last nights game that Kershaw deserves a hit to his legacy or deserves the blame for the game, I'd question their sanity.

I know it will happen. I listed to people talk about how Elway wasn't a hall of fame QB because he had never won a Super Bowl. Screaming about how he had little help and mediocre coaching for most of his career didn't sway many of the naysayers.

But Kershaw last night? He gives up a bloop double to Fowler. The league MVP has a tough at bat and rips a ball through the right side. He's likely stranded if the LF makes a routine catch. Instead it's 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. It also means his pitch count is going to get elevated.

He didn't pitch well, but his 5 post season appearances before this were terrific.His legacy isn't tarnished in my mind.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #1064
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Weird not seeing the Royals in the World Series, but excited for both teams that made it. They both make our 30 year drought seem not so bad.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #1065
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Weird not seeing the Royals in the World Series, but excited for both teams that made it. They both make our 30 year drought seem not so bad.

B- work. You can do better.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #1066
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Go Cubs go! Really the only non-Minnesota team I care much about. Kind of soft spot growing up watching them on WGN and all the heartache for their fans. Id rather have them break the slump against the Royals( ) but the Indians will do. Ha! Should be a good series. Cubbies are loaded and should be experiencing a lot of winning over the next 5-10 years.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #1067
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
B- work. You can do better.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #1068
Butter
Coordinator

As an Ohio native and Reds fan, have to root for the Indians here. Good luck to both and their fans, it's going to be heartbreaking one way or the other.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #1069
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If Miller gets out of this, the series may already be over.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #1070
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
If Miller gets out of this, the series may already be over.

It's one game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #1071
molson
General Manager

I don't know, has a team ever come back from 1-0 in a 7 game series?

Last edited by molson : 10-25-2016 at 10:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #1072
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I don't know. It's going to be tough
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #1073
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just like that time James Starks fumbled in the first quarter
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #1074
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Stick a fork in the Warriors this year as well. Down 16 to the Spurs.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #1075
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

3 more Tribe fans!!

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #1076
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The winner of Game 1 has won the last 6 World Series - & 24 of the last 28.
-- via ESPN
Old 10-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #1077
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

12 of the last 13 haven't.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #1078
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
12 of the last 13 haven't.

In history, 64.5% of Game 1 winners went on to win the world series, and its 64.1% overall in MLB 7-game playoff series. I don't think anything dramatically changed 13 years ago, or anything particularly special about the World Series in that regard. 538 has the Cubs odds at about 45% to win the series now, which seems about right, they should have a somewhat better shot than the historical 36% chance when they were a solid favorite going in, and when they were on the road in game 1.

But really, in baseball, a single game is close to a coin flip. Winning 4 out 6 is hard, but not impossible. Lots of teams have done it in a 7-game series. Including the Cubs just this season in the NLCS. Hell, they were down 2-1, which is statistically more difficult to come back from (29% historically, in MLB 7-game playoff series), but again, not impossible, obviously.

Edit: whowins.com has interesting breakdowns of those probabilities, though the website is a bit of a mess.

Last edited by molson : 10-25-2016 at 11:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #1079
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
In history, 63% of Game 1 winners went on to win the world series, and its 64% overall in MLB 7-game playoff series. I don't think anything dramatically changed 13 years ago, or anything particularly special about the World Series in that regard. 538 has the Cubs odds at about 45% to win the series now, which seems about right, they should have a somewhat better shot than the historical 37% chance when they were a solid favorite going in.

But really, in baseball, a single game is close to a coin flip. Winning 4 out 6 is hard, but not impossible. Lots of teams have done it in a 7-game series. Including the Cubs just this season in the NLCS. Hell, they were down 2-1, which is statistically more difficult to come back from, but again, not impossible, obviously.

538 also has the Cubs as 54% chance of winning game 2. I still think the Cubs are favored. This was more of a must win game for the Indians than the Cubs. Kluber is their best pitcher and it will really be on Francona to manage it.

I'm happy with them getting Miller to throw his highest number of pitches in 5 years.

Should be good, though they moved the game up to 7 Eastern because of rain, which means I'll miss a lot of it here.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #1080
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess what gives me hope is Bauer and Tomlin are not exactly world-beaters. If the Cubs can get to them early like they did with Maeda in the NLCS, they can avoid the pen.

Kluber was amazing tonight but he can't pitch every game. And I feel the Cubs have a chance to beat him once if he throws 3 games (especially him on 3 days rest in the next 2 starts).
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #1081
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

So for all of the stat experts a question.

Series is tied 1-1 going to Chicago. If Chicago had won game 1 and lost game 2 stats show a 64.5% chance to win series. BUT they lost game 1 and won game 2, now what? Is Cleveland still statistically favored since they won game 1?

How many of those actual 64.5% winners also won game 2 for a 2-0 lead?

I'm not a statistician but in my mind any visitor getting the 1-1 split comes out the favorite whether they won game 1 or game 2. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Sweed : 10-27-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #1082
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

I'm not a statistician but in my mind any visitor getting the 1-1 split comes out the favorite whether they won game 1 or game 2. Am I wrong?

Nope! Even if the series odds going in were 50/50, Chicago would now be the fav having 3 home games vs 2 home games for Cleveland. However losing either of the next two would put the Cubs back to playing underdog(possibly). With the Cubs being pretty big favs going in if the series is tied at 2 after 4 Cubs still might be very slight favs even with the Indians have 2 home games vs 1.

Im seeing Cubs around -220 to win right now. Indians are +200.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-27-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #1083
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Nope! Even if the series odds going in were 50/50, Chicago would now be the fav having 3 home games vs 2 home games for Cleveland. However losing either of the next two would put the Cubs back to playing underdog(possibly). With the Cubs being pretty big favs going in if the series is tied at 2 after 4 Cubs still might be very slight favs even with the Indians have 2 home games vs 1.

Im seeing Cubs around -220 to win right now. Indians are +200.

Yes, that is how I see it and always have but....

After game 1 everybody goes on and on about how Chicago is in trouble because game 1 winners win the series 65% of the time. Yet it seems to me coming out 1-1 with 3 of next 5 at home makes you the favorite. But... again it's posted here that 12 of the last 14 have not overcome losing game 1 and going down 1-0. So for the statisticians I was asking can Cleveland, winning game 1, still really be the favored to win the series? Without them going up 2-0 I don't see how. And if they have to go up 2-0 to stay the favorites what does a 1-0 start at home really mean if you don't win game 2? Nothing?

Just seems to me the odds shift with every game and the predicted outcome can't be based on series from years past with totally different teams and players. I think it just makes for interesting chatter among the talking heads and on fan forums. As a laymen, when it comes to deep statistical studies, am I wrong?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #1084
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Cubs Beat The Front-Running Indians At Their Own Game | FiveThirtyEight

Quote:
The key to front-running is a versatile, opportunistic offense (check), good starting pitching (check) and — most importantly — a lights-out bullpen (um, check). Cleveland is custom-built for winning that way, and they’ve shown just how effective it can be in the small-sample gantlet of the playoffs. You can bet other teams will think about how to copy that style going into next season and beyond.

What am I missing? Isn't this article just saying that the key to playing winning baseball is to have good offense, good starting pitching, and good relief pitching?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #1085
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Just seems to me the odds shift with every game and the predicted outcome can't be based on series from years past with totally different teams and players. I think it just makes for interesting chatter among the talking heads and on fan forums. As a laymen, when it comes to deep statistical studies, am I wrong?

Stats don't lie. If the Cubs come back and win the series, it doesn't mean it was "wrong" to say that 65% (or whatever) of Game 1 winners go on to win the WS. It's just another entry into the other side of the equation which will result in us hearing "6X% of G1 winners go on to win the WS" next year.

It's how you use stats that are important. It wouldn't be a good argument to claim the Indians will win the WS because the winner of G1 goes on to win the WS 65% of the time.

The stats are what they are because you have to win four games, and it's easier to win four once you've won the first as you now have six chances to win three instead of needing to win four in those six chances.

Last edited by Logan : 10-27-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #1086
Jas_lov
College Starter

Tito Francona is managing circles around Maddon. Why is John Lackey pitching in a must win game? Tito went with his ace. And why was Bryant playing so far back with Kluber hitting? That cost them a run.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 10-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #1087
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Tito Francona is managing circles around Maddon. Why is John Lackey pitching in a must win game? Tito went with his ace. And why was Bryant playing so far back with Kluber hitting? That cost them a run.

Maddon is actually a really bad playoff manager. Just not much of a tactician.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #1088
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Man that Kipnis jack just put a knife in the heart of the Cubs (and their fans) for this game.

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #1089
RainMaker
General Manager

It was over at 4-1. Cubs offense just didn't show up in the playoffs. Much like last year in the NLCS. Great regular season team though, just need a few bats who won't crater in the playoffs.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #1090
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I would say it's not "mysterious lack of Cubs bats" but "really good Indians pitching" for a lot of it. It's true though that the Cubs seem like a whole different team than in the regular season.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #1091
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would say it's not "mysterious lack of Cubs bats" but "really good Indians pitching" for a lot of it. It's true though that the Cubs seem like a whole different team than in the regular season.

Dodgers were clowning them for a portion of the series. Same with the Giants. Offense has been pretty poor all playoffs.

Cleveland has good pitching but guys like Josh Tomlin should not be clowning you.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #1092
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Good point.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #1093
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Dodgers were clowning them for a portion of the series. Same with the Giants. Offense has been pretty poor all playoffs.

Cleveland has good pitching but guys like Josh Tomlin should not be clowning you.

Dodgers just ran out of pitchers. And couldn't hit
Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #1094
RainMaker
General Manager

It's tough to judge that Dodgers series because Kershaw was clearly not 100%. Couldn't throw his curveball at all and was basically a 2-pitch guy.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1095
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think it's more Cleveland pitching, specifically Kluber, Miller and Allen. They did go 8-1 vs Boston and Toronto, two of the best lineups in the league. Lackey should not have been out there. Tito got the upperhand throwing his ace tonight.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #1096
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

The Cubs offense is built to work counts and get into the bullpen. It's something that's worked in baseball forever, but against teams that have started to focus on building an elite bullpen it runs into problems in the postseason. During the regular season the Indians aren't going to be willing to bring in Andrew Miller and Cody Allen every game, but in the postseason it happens.

If you work counts and knock an Indians starter out of the game you're likely going to face even better pitchers the rest of the way. That works heavily against what the Cubs do.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #1097
Logan
Head Coach

Mets' Familia was arrested on a DV charge last week. Goodbye.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #1098
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Joe West has no business being in the World Series, let along calling balls and strikes.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #1100
wustin
College Prospect

How ironic would it be if the Indians blow a 3-1 lead.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote