Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2003, 10:05 PM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Drew turned out to be just what was expected of him as the top-rated player in the draft. He just doesn't stay healthy.

And thus not worth what he was asking for. I mean, really, the guy hasn't played a single game and he's asking for $10 million? Please.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:09 PM   #52
tucker342
Pro Starter

If I were the Twins, I would have picked Prior, a player like him only comes around every so often, I mean it's his second year, and already he's one of the best pitchers in the league...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:33 PM   #53
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
I remeber Travis Lee and J.D. Drew. Drew turned out to be just what was expected of him as the top-rated player in the draft. He just doesn't stay healthy. Travis Lee wasn't rated as highly as Drew or Prior.

The Phillies should have payed Drew his ten million dollars. He was ready for the bigs in a year and a half. They have even less of an excuse than the Twins. They've been leeching money from the Philly market and the rest of MLB through revenue sharing for years.

You are using foresight and hindsight for your arguments, that doesn't make any sense here. When players are drafted nobody knows exactly what they will do. Travis Lee was highly touted, and the Twins took alot of heat when they didn't sign him, especially when he had a good start at Arizona, now it appears to be a good move. The Twins are doing exactly what you say they should be doing, making choices against their own budget. Whether that budget should be 1 million or 10 million, isn't that their choice? You spend other peoples money very easily, it isn't your money and it's not mine, if things are not going the right way people get fired and that's how it goes.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:49 AM   #54
oykib
College Starter

Well this comes to the point where we have to ask ourselves what responsibilities teams have to their fans. I don't think that owners should take a loss to field a winner. But the Twins had been making money (a lot of it) for a while. I think that pro teams, especially in baseball with its anti-trust exemption, have a responsibility to try their best to put a winner on the field.

At the time, the Twins were a team that had basically invested nothing in their franchise for years while collecting tens of millions in luxury tax money. I can accept that a team might decide not to pay for a player that will help them because they want to use the resources elsewhere, even if that 'elsewhere' isn't for a few years. I can't accept organizations being cheap.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:52 AM   #55
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I'll supply the batteries if you'll supply the tickets. I was going to add escape vehicle but I don't think anyone will try and stop us. I don't know how that fucking asshole won his court case. Asshole, you're a guy who has never hit a ball without hearing the word "ping", take your money and play already. Fuck Scott Boras and fuck J.D. Drew.

SI (and to think, I'm not even a Philly fan)

Amen to that last line. Can't stand agents.

I'm in Maryland now, so it's not all that easy for me to get to the Vet. The Orioles play the Cards this year, but in St. Louis. The Orioles are pretty uptight when it comes to assault with batteries anyhow.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:18 AM   #56
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Remember Josh Hamilton? The D-Rays selected him a couple of years ago and he has had nothing but personal problems since he signed and got that 3.5 mil signing bonus.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #57
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I can't wait to see Carlyle Holiday at Pretty Good American Ballpark.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote