Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will the NCAA do to UNC?
Nothing 15 29.41%
Loss of a few scholarships 16 31.37%
Loss of scholarships and a bowl ban for the football team 4 7.84%
Loss of scholarships, post season ban across multiple sports. 10 19.61%
Loss of many scholarships, multi-year postseason ban across all sports. 2 3.92%
Death Penalty 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #51
chesapeake
College Starter

The death penalty is not nearly enough punishment for Carolina.

Last edited by chesapeake : 10-23-2014 at 01:24 PM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #52
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Two, way too many people are attached to their college team and wouldn't ever give up the college sports experience.

Isn't that exactly what I said? We don't want that to happen because we love college sports, but we want the right to act outraged and howl for punishment when these athletes who are essentially forced to pretend to be students are pretending to be students. The hypocrisy is breathtaking.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #53
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Isn't that exactly what I said? We don't want that to happen because we love college sports, but we want the right to act outraged and howl for punishment when these athletes who are essentially forced to pretend to be students are pretending to be students. The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

The age limits are collectively bargained for by the leagues and the unions. They want to protect jobs of their existing union members and not lose them to future members before they absolutely have to. That's your bigger obstacle on age limits.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll only speak for myself. I don't want the kids punished. I would love if those who wanted to pursue a degree could do so while the others could spend their time training while also spending a few hours a week focused on learning about basic financial planning and "life after sports/if sports don't work out" type knowledge.

But I want the coaches and administrators punished. Painting with a very broad brush here, they don't want these kids to get degrees so they can do something after college. They want them to remain eligible, so they could play, so the coaches and schools can win, so they can keep the money train going.

edit: I was out of the country for a couple weeks and only did some skimming when I got home. Were there a lot of people here who wanted the book thrown at Gurley because he made some money signing autographs?

Last edited by Logan : 10-23-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #55
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh, I see how it is...Mississippi State is finally relevant and we want to trash the whole system.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Isn't the obvious answer that we stop the practice of stopping kids working in the NFL and NBA at the age of 18 like they could in almost any other industry in the US?

We don't like that because we feel it dilutes the pro product and we like seeing the best athletes go to our alma maters, but the problem of fake student athletes goes away almost immediately. Let the kids who want to earn a degree earn a degree and the kids who want a shot at getting paid getting paid.

I don't think that is the case at all.

It isn't as if the only dumb ones are the really talented ones. There are plenty of players who will never sniff a pro career who skate along because they play a sport. Those guys will still attend school and skate on by with or without the Fab Melos of the world.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #57
flounder
High School Varsity

They may not make a university student out of an athlete, but if they can teach him to read and write, maybe he can work at the post office rather than as a garbageman when he gets through with his athletic career.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But I want the coaches and administrators punished. Painting with a very broad brush here, they don't want these kids to get degrees so they can do something after college. They want them to remain eligible, so they could play, so the coaches and schools can win, so they can keep the money train going.

And some professors/admins want classes like those at UNC to exist/continue so they can justify their own spot on the payroll.

This did not begin as some sort of "hey, let's help Roy Williams" scheme.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #59
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's a bizarre system where we suspend a kid for a year because he signed autographs for money, but we do nothing about eligibility maintained for taking imaginary classes.

The NCAA is an easy target because it's an institution designed to grant credibility to a system that lacks credibility.

We want the image of college athletics as some sort of noble amateur production. Students could be one of us. And often, they are, though it's unlikely in the major sports.

But television expanded football and basketball into billion-dollar territory. Recruiting is sophisticated and relentless. No one is going to tell a football coach who spent weeks of work attracting a 17-year-old half-way across the country who can run a 4.3 and break countless tackles that the kid is just a little bit shy of meeting the university's academic standards.

UNC stopped playing the game and allowed an administrator to do whatever was necessary to maintain paper eligibility. When Minnesota did this on a smaller scale (limited to one sport), the Golden Gophers had to forfeit six years' worth of games.

Part of me is sympathetic to Ben's argument. I was a sportswriter in college, and I knew kids who were recruited for athletics, knew they weren't quite good enough for the pros, and took the opportunity to get a degree and set themselves up for life. Good people. Stories that make you proud of the system.

But why athletics, then? Why should athletics replace a scholarship system designed specifically to find intelligent kids struggling in difficult environments?

As much as I love sports and find that the block M from Michigan is somewhat imprinted on my DNA, I can't rationalize what the NCAA has become.

The NCAA has come down harshly on kids for signing autographs and trading memorabilia for tattoos, of all things. We look at these examples as somehow related to integrity.

What UNC did makes the 1980s SMU violations look like nothing by comparison. And, sadly, while UNC took it further, I'm sure it's not the only example of widespread academic fraud out there.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Students could be one of us. And often, they are, though it's unlikely in the major sports.

I'd argue that it isn't THAT unlikely, even in the major sports. I know, lemme see here, 1 current D1 player, 1 soon to be D1 player (fairly faintly, 2nd hand) several current prospects with strong looks or offers, multiple DII or below players ... that's just football. Every one of them is pretty much in the range of "normal", none are at a school where it's a stretch for them to be enrolled under normal criteria. We forget, I think, that most of the players even on a football team are not stars. And those admissions exceptions are harder to come by if you aren't an impact player.

Quote:
But why athletics, then? Why should athletics replace a scholarship system designed specifically to find intelligent kids struggling in difficult environments?

Because those athletic scholarships are not, and have not ever entirely been, about helping "intelligent kids struggling in difficult environments". The size/scale/scope is different for sure, but the intent isn't all that dissimilar.

As for the "why", for many schools the athletic programs are the biggest connection to the university that some taxpayers will ever have. Take away athletics, see how much support there is among taxpayers for the University System of Georgia (and a number of other states). Think it's bad now? Take away the primary reason people give a damn that said university exists & see how it gets. It's marketing & connectivity, with an element of fundraising (beyond just athletic departments).
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #61
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This did not begin as some sort of "hey, let's help Roy Williams" scheme.

You're right. It seemed like it began as some sort of "hey, let's help Dean Smith" scheme .
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #62
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd argue that it isn't THAT unlikely, even in the major sports. I know, lemme see here, 1 current D1 player, 1 soon to be D1 player (fairly faintly, 2nd hand) several current prospects with strong looks or offers, multiple DII or below players ... that's just football. Every one of them is pretty much in the range of "normal", none are at a school where it's a stretch for them to be enrolled under normal criteria. We forget, I think, that most of the players even on a football team are not stars. And those admissions exceptions are harder to come by if you aren't an impact player.

I think it's also easy to focus on the physical aspect of being an elite football player (and I'll use that word in comparison to the general population) and overlook that you need a pretty strong level of intelligence to succeed on the football field. Is memorizing a playbook much easier than memorizing historical facts that a kid gets tested on? I'd argue that a kid who has the ability to see a defense lined up across from him and in seconds diagnose it and cross-check that with everything they studied in film and worked on in practice to understand how that meshes with what they are about to run, and possibly change into something better (taking it a step further)...there's no reason that intelligence couldn't be harnessed into being able to get Bs in Communication or History.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right. It seemed like it began as some sort of "hey, let's help Dean Smith" scheme .

Apparently it began as some sort of "let's promote a guy who has no clue what he's doing, nor any interest in doing it, to be department head" sort of scheme.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's also easy to focus on the physical aspect of being an elite football player (and I'll use that word in comparison to the general population) and overlook that you need a pretty strong level of intelligence to succeed on the football field. Is memorizing a playbook much easier than memorizing historical facts that a kid gets tested on? I'd argue that a kid who has the ability to see a defense lined up across from him and in seconds diagnose it and cross-check that with everything they studied in film and worked on in practice to understand how that meshes with what they are about to run, and possibly change into something better (taking it a step further)...there's no reason that intelligence couldn't be harnessed into being able to get Bs in Communication or History.

Eh, yes & no I think. Some stuff doesn't click the same, at least in my experience with scholar athletes.

Plus, honestly, there's a significant "give a fuck" factor at work there.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #65
Dutch
"Dutch"

Damn, maybe I should read up on the shenanigans going on at UNC more...I don't suppose losing their regional accreditation is on the table?

UNC's Fake 'Paper Classes' Were Also Popular With Frat Boys - Business Insider

It's so crazy...everybody pokes fun at on-line classes, but...

My very last class at UMUC was an elective (having wrapped up my major and minor work)...so I figured I would take a history class (WWII). Man, I had to read (most of) 3 books and wrote somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-300 pages during the course of that class. They worked me like a friggin' mule and all I wanted was a passing grade so I could get the hell out of dodge...granted I wasn't all-in at that point and I paid the price.

End result: C

That being said...

UNC Athlete Essay On Rosa Parks Gets A-Minus - Business Insider

This is so terrible...overall, I'm pretty upset that people are allowed to get away with that when others have to bust their ass for similar (or less) result.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #66
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Any class, regardless of delivery method, can be great with the right teacher and a joke with the wrong teacher. That's why peer review and oversight by the Dean's office is important.

I don't think much useful comes from student evaluations, but that's a discussion for another day.

edit: I don't know the parameters for the assignment, and given the nature of the class it probably doesn't matter, but that paper sure looks like a zero or rewrite to me.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-25-2014 at 12:35 PM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #67
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Even an alleged up-standing, honor-based institution like West Point wants to keep up with the big boys and their ways

Report: West Point football team recruited high school athletes with booze, women

My son read this thread and I told him one of the great points was how college athletics have become a multi-billion industry and how everyone would do anything (unethical, immoral or illegal) to get and keep a piece of the pie. Even Army (and local Air Force too, once the full report comes out).

As addendum to my experiences at Carolina, I witnessed how Jeff Lebo was recruited on-campus (Dean Smith recruited white PGs) and who was involved (second-hand) in "convincing" him to come to UNC. Don't know who else wanted him but it worked for UNC.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #68
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not to mention the 11.2 million in subsidies to the Army athletic department and the 25.5 million in subsidies to the Air Force athletic department. (For some reason Navy isn't in the USAToday database.)
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #69
Grover
Pro Starter

Ex-University of North Carolina Football Player Sues Over Academic Scandal - NBC News

Shouldn't he have had the sense to take classes that would matter?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Ex-University of North Carolina Football Player Sues Over Academic Scandal - NBC News

Shouldn't he have had the sense to take classes that would matter?

I'll say this as gently as I can.
At many, many institutions student athletes do not get to register for their own classes. An "academic advisor" does the registering, and before general pop students have access to ensure student athletes are in the right section ostensibly to coordinate and facilitate practice times etc.

I've known many kids at many schools who were told they could not enroll in the major of their choosing because it didnt fit the profile.

Its probably one of the more common and unstated reason for tranfers among more concerned students that I have seen.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #71
Grover
Pro Starter

Ah. Thanks for that, had no idea.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #72
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

To answer the original question, the NCAA will take 3 women's soccer scholarships from NC,and put North Carolina Central on 5 year probation to show they really mean it.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #73
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Having read a lengthy account of the findings from a NC newspaper, I can't help but be struck by the thought that this sort of thing is likely far from unique, and that it may not always be related to athletics.

Anybody care to lay odds on whether there would be similar outrage though?

If you can't pass college you really are an idiot. It's not hard whether you're an athlete or not. Passing in a challenging major with a high GPA is hard. Passing communications with a 2.1 is not hard at all. You basically show up. I knew plenty of unathletic people who were tracking to graduate with degrees in art history or geography with minimal effort. Just no one cared.

And Casablanca level shocked that grade rigging is going on in major college sports!

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-11-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #74
Easy Mac

Weber State got hit pretty hard for all the stuff that went down at North Carolina.

NCAA places Weber State Wildcats on probation for 3 years - ESPN
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
NCAA charges North Carolina Tar Heels with five serious violations

No punishments announced yet
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #76
Easy Mac

I'm sure it will be severe, like not being allowed to give out scholarships to horses for their water polo team.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stop! Hammertime...
Old 06-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #78
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that it is punishment enough to make the players have to start going to real classes. Very distracting, that.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #79
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that it is punishment enough to make the players have to start going to real classes. Very distracting, that.

An obvious competitive disadvantage!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #80
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Lack of Institutional Control.
Even for the kangaroo court that the current NCAA is, that is the hardest hit with the pillow paddle.

That said this was all orchestrated under John Swofford's reign, he should feel some pain as well.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #81
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Poor UAB. They just announced they are bringing back their football program, then this news is released.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #82
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

That said this was all orchestrated under John Swofford's reign, he should feel some pain as well.

I think it is illegal to hit little girls in most states.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #83
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think the ACC should tack on 2 years for good measure...

How does that sound Swoffie?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #84
Kodos
Resident Alien

Roy Williams and the UNC Tar Heels Can Go To Hell - Off Tackle Empire

This guy in not a fan of UNC, apparently. Kindof a shame that half the final four is comprised of teams that have run afoul of the NCAA.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #85
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So Syracuse received a 1 year post season ban (self imposed in a down year, but with the same record they had this year which got them a tournament invite, but admittedly not as many quality wins as this year). A loss of 3 schollies a year later reduced to 2 a year for 3 or 4 ? years. Boeheim had to give up 100+ wins and was banned for 9 games. Edited to add: They also paid a multi-million dollar fine.

Syracuse offenses:
1) Somebody wrote a paper for Fab Melo. He was suspended by Syracuse for a game mid season, then for the entire tournament, where us and Kentucky were the 2 clear favorites. Cuse lost in the Elite 8 in Boston (home turf). We paid for Fab before the sanctions.

2) a few guys (I think 2 or 3) were paid to work a scoreboard at a YMCA about 30 minutes away from campus by a guy not connected to the team or school.

3) Not being required to have a drug policy, Syracuse instituted one anyway, but didn't follow it when they neglected to notify player's parents on a first failed drug test for mary jane.

Also, Syracuse self reported all of this, let the NCAA go through their entire athletic depart for EIGHT YEARS, and they found nothing else.

So, OK, Cuse messed some things up and paid a pretty fair price.

I will be shocked if the NCAA gives UNC anything close to this for 20 years of academic fraud. But Fab Melo was a dumb shit so whatever....

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 03-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote