Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Is that really true anymore? I think we're disproportionately skilled/gainfully employed at FOFC, but there's a LOT of people with bachelors degrees from respectful universities who aren't getting anywhere close to that right out of school, or even many years out of school. And they're not all working stepping-stone type-jobs towards greater success either. There's a lot of decently educated waiters and retail employees and nannies right now.

I worked for a giant IT company for 5 years (you've heard of them), moving across country to advance twice and I didn't ever make $50K.

SI

(NOTE: I also didn't live near NYC so there's COLA to think of)

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #52
molson
General Manager

And if you like kids, I think this whole "raising kids for rich people" thing might be a pretty good career. If you're really good at it and are recommended around the upper crusts of society, you'll never have trouble finding work. And if someone basically off the street with no experience at this can get $50k/year, how well does an experienced, well recommended "assistant" do? I'd think the key is getting with a family that's a good fit for you. It's not for everyone, but I think you can do a lot worse.

Last edited by molson : 09-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #53
lungs
Pro Rookie

As assistant manager at Strickland Propane, I'm already at the top.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
As assistant manager at Strickland Propane, I'm already at the top.

"The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane and I'm tricking her out all over town!"

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 09-13-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #55
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Is that really true anymore? I think we're disproportionately skilled/gainfully employed at FOFC, but there's a LOT of people with bachelors degrees from respectful universities who aren't getting anywhere close to that right out of school, or even many years out of school. And they're not all working stepping-stone type-jobs towards greater success either. There's a lot of decently educated waiters and retail employees and nannies right now.

I guess it's true. I also think we need to define what a respectable university is. In my view, I imagine this family, and I'm just taking a wild guess, would define it as an Ivy League and Stanford, U. Chicago, and MIT as the standard of "respectable."
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
And if you like kids, I think this whole "raising kids for rich people" thing might be a pretty good career. If you're really good at it and are recommended around the upper crusts of society, you'll never have trouble finding work. And if someone basically off the street with no experience at this can get $50k/year, how well does an experienced, well recommended "assistant" do? I'd think the key is getting with a family that's a good fit for you. It's not for everyone, but I think you can do a lot worse.

I got a feeling this family wouldn't do that for you. They would probably scold and fire you for taking advantage of them.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I guess it's true. I also think we need to define what a respectable university is. In my view, I imagine this family, and I'm just taking a wild guess, would define it as an Ivy League and Stanford, U. Chicago, and MIT as the standard of "respectable."

Yeah, I suspect their ideal of slumming it would be Cornell or Brown not CUNY.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #58
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, I suspect their ideal of slumming it would be Cornell or Brown not CUNY.

SI

Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #59
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The only thing that strikes me as outrageous here is the lack of provided housing. Working at a school with many families who employ this sort of individual, the job description doesn't strike me as out of line. High quality nannies for the right family earn 6 figures. The fact that this is on books means that they're paying taxes and such, which is more than many nanny positions offer.

I would have a lot of questions about this job (the thing that raises my suspicions the most is the vacancy with school age position - where's the nanny who raised them when they were younger?) but if I knew a just out of college version of me, I'd give them that list of questions and tell them to go for it. They very well may be the stereotype you all are saying. But it's entirely possible they're not and instead want a highly qualified person to work long hours.

If this is a hoax they've done a really poor job as I know of several real jobs (in Chicago) that are more desirable than what's outlined there. I say it's real and 50/50 on whether it's as bad as everyone in the thread thinks. The rich really aren't like you or I.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
The only thing that strikes me as outrageous here is the lack of provided housing. Working at a school with many families who employ this sort of individual, the job description doesn't strike me as out of line. High quality nannies for the right family earn 6 figures. The fact that this is on books means that they're paying taxes and such, which is more than many nanny positions offer.

I would have a lot of questions about this job (the thing that raises my suspicions the most is the vacancy with school age position - where's the nanny who raised them when they were younger?) but if I knew a just out of college version of me, I'd give them that list of questions and tell them to go for it. They very well may be the stereotype you all are saying. But it's entirely possible they're not and instead want a highly qualified person to work long hours.

If this is a hoax they've done a really poor job as I know of several real jobs (in Chicago) that are more desirable than what's outlined there. I say it's real and 50/50 on whether it's as bad as everyone in the thread thinks. The rich really aren't like you or I.

You realize this comes out to like 52k/yr right, not 100k/yr?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #61
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

We pay our kid's nanny who is a stay-in help, and works ~12 hours a day $80 a month.

Welcome to the Philippines.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #62
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
You realize this comes out to like 52k/yr right, not 100k/yr?
Yes. It's an entry level position - they recognize that hence the reason they advertise that people could move up to a position in a business or to a job as Chief of Staff (that's where the big money is).

I admit I'm surprised that you scoff at the idea of working long hours, in a demanding environment.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes. It's an entry level position - they recognize that hence the reason they advertise that people could move up to a position in a business or to a job as Chief of Staff (that's where the big money is).

I admit I'm surprised that you scoff at the idea of working long hours, in a demanding environment.

I don't scoff at the idea in general. I scoff at the idea of doing it for these people, in this position.

I don't think there's any "moving up" from this type of position realistically - it strikes me as a pretty "dead end" type job.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #64
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
We pay our kid's nanny who is a stay-in help, and works ~12 hours a day $80 a month.

Sounds similar to what it might cost us in Peru. Hire someone from the highlands who wants to live in the big city.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #65
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

The problem is they don't just want a nanny, but they want someone to help with their business, do errands, ect., and you get 1 one week a year for it.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #66
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

my mind is blown
Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #67
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Rather than start a new thread for this...

Here's Your Next (Best) Employee!

This line is asking for a load of inappropriate emails

Quote:
She would prefer to be somewhere in the North Hills (West View, Ross, McCandless, Wexford, Warrendale, Cranberry) but if the job is perfect for her, then she would go downtown or south.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #68
DanGarion
Coordinator

She's willing to go downtown.... eh?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #69
Izulde
Head Coach

Flagged for removal apparently.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote