Old 04-22-2003, 05:01 PM   #51
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Once again, I suck.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #52
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

August 27-29
We get a welcome respite from the constant fighting. We call up five agents to replace the dead from the Berlin battle, then call up two more to replace the badly wounded from the subsequent mission. As this happens, we shuffle around agents to get a better balance of experience at our three bases.

But for the most part things are quiet, and the men relax for a few days.

However, it was not to last…

August 30

EU COM Base (01:25 hours local time)

Two men sit in the dark, quiet radar communications room. Their eyes dance in steady patterns over the array of black screens in front of them. Three days of quiet have settled their nerves, but after a month of near constant activity, the peace of the last three days is not to be trusted.

Suddenly, a beep, and one of the men spots a small red dot on one of the black screens. “Boris, we got a Bogie! Bogie at 290 degrees, bearing one-one-eight, at 458 knots. Distance 1119 miles and closing. Confirm!”

Boris the Third responds instantly, calmly, “Roger, Dirk. Confirmed. Holy crap! This mother’s a big one! Notifying command.” He reaches for the phone.

Before he can pick up the receiver, another beep chirps its warning and another red dot appears on the right side of a screen. Dirk puts in into words, “Got another one! Bogie 2 coming on fast from the east at 93 degrees, bearing 274 degrees, at 390 knots. Distance 893 miles—and another one! Holy shit! Bogie 3! Repeat, we’ve got three bogies. Bogie 3 at 007 degrees, bearing 176 degrees, speed unknown, distance 900 miles. Size unknown—wait, speed 480 knots, size 5 or larger.”

Radarman Boris gets the received to his ears, presses the alert send button. An edgy voice answers the phone on the first ring, “Yes.”

“Captain Ravenhawk, Boris from radar here, sir. Sir, we’ve got three bogies, one cruiser-class, two battleship class, all up on our radar screens, sir. I’ve never seen this many appear at one time, sir.”

Ravenhawk responds calmly, “Boris, where are they?”

“Over Europe sir. Oh my God, sir! Three more just popped onto the screen! One’s a scout-class, the other two, I don’t know—wait, Dirk says they’re two cruiser-class ships, sir!”

“Are they all in Europe?”

“Yes, sir. Three north of us, two east, one south, six bogies, five class 4 or larger, all bearing in on mainland Europe!”

“Thanks. I’ve got to report to USA COM. What are the target projections, the alien base again?”

“Just a second, sir, they’re not up on the screen yet, sir. Ten seconds and Dirk should have it.”

All three men wait in silence for ten long seconds, when it’s over Dirk and Boris sound in unison, “Holy shit!”

Ravenhawk asks, “What is it, Boris?”

“Sir, the scout looks to be zig-zagging, and one if the cruisers is projected for the alien base, sir. The other two cruiser-classes look to be going to France and Germany, sir.”

“Well, why the ‘Holy Shit’?”

“Sir, if the two battleships stay on course, they’ll cross each other right over our base. Sir, it looks like they’re coming right for us.”
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #53
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Oh my!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #54
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Ooops. Missed some questions...

Blade6119: I'll try to get around to those medals at some point. It's on the list of things to do. Sorry for the wait.

Wolfpack: CapnMorgan is AWOL right now. He has until Thursday to get back to base. If he doesn't you can be a pilot if you want, but Toddiec IV and Superman would have the option of flying the EU Intercepter if they want it, since they have flight seniority. As of right now, we don't have a SAM COM Interceptor. The base just got a toilet, so it might be a month or so before we get the cash to buy a fighter plane.

Toddiec: Yeah, we need better planes. I'm tired of waiting to take out the little ships. Be nice to shoot down a battleship. Unfortunately, I think we have to research a couple of things before we can buy better planes, and right now PSI-warfare is a priority, so, um, good luck?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #55
Blade6119
Coordinator

Asia com wants to help out our Euro brothers!!! Send us in to help!!!!!(Preferably with Blade6119 on board)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #56
RealDeal
High School Varsity

It looks like I got called up. Hello!
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 PM   #57
revrew
Team Chaplain

Glad you transferred me to USA Com, GB.

Can we, um, still function without the Europe base??

Hey, I call dibs on the second edition of X-Com! Sign me up. Anybody else want to play when Blitz begins the second attempt?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:29 PM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

HOLY SH--!

The last time this happened, the entire base got wiped out and our game was done. We have more bases now, of course, so the game won't be wiped out, but, damn, as a Sergeant at EU.COM, that doesn't amtter a whole hell of a lot to me right now!

I'm going to go add some extra markings to my plasma rifle.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:58 PM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

If I was an alien who was prone to panicking, I would be filling out the ol' organ-donor cards right now...

Damn it! Where did I put the little ****ers!

=============

Say, have I healed up completely yet? It'd be nice to be in working physical condition when my outer-space brethren arrive.

=============

Kodos gathers up the men hastily, and delivers the following speech:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Earth, whatever the cost may be; We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets and in the barns, we shall fight in the hills; We shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Earth or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our bases beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the X-Com Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the Entire World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of all.

NOW LET'S SHOW THESE ****ERS THAT THEY'RE ****ING WITH THE WRONG ****ING PLANET!!!!"

Last edited by Kodos : 04-22-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #60
Havok
College Starter

lol.... reading this thread makes me wanna play X-com again

which X-COM are you playing?? i played the first one but haven't played any sense and that was like 8 years ago!!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #61
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The only decent one. The first X-Com is the game we're dying at right now.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #62
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Well the men at EU COM base will need all the best wishes. There might not be an interceptor left at EU COM after this upcoming battle.

"Well ladies its time to tuck yor heads between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye"
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #63
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Godzilla..

It should be known I need to be commander of the Asian branch. I'm a hard rocker living the 80's glam lifestyle. Last I checked, bands like Autograph, White Lion, Winger, Kixx and Firehouse were all rather huge there.

The people will respect me!

DVH FOR POPE!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Looks like my boy answered his phone a little late, but he's there, and ready to rock!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #65
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Any alien (beside Kodos) that steps inside EU-COM either better be surrendering or making some funeral arrangements.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #66
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hmm. Am wondering if Coffee Warlord Jr stayed at EU-COM or was transferred.

Will my son win his father's award as well?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is X-Com HQ in the USA? I forget? If it's in Europe, even we engineers need to arm ourselves- I have some fun new "modifications" to my gear. But if it's in the USA, I'll just make sure they send the base cleanup team with extra deprobulators so ya European victims can have a fitting burial or at least a probe-free one.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-22-2003 at 09:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #68
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, I think GB is gonna take care of us in this one. I'm sure he learned how to build the base in a nice defensive pattern...all we have to do is hold the corridors, and fall back, and hold, and fall back, and...

Hey GB...I want Bertha for this one. It's going to be fun auto firing HE grenades down the EU base hallways...I get to blow stuff up and not get in trouble. Hehe.

Bring it you alien crumblefaces! Monkey brain eaters! You smell like a sack of sweaty socks!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:16 PM   #69
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Ohh...never played the game, but this doesn't sound good...I should be playing anytime now... he he he
Old 04-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #70
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Well it looks like their are some big ships heading towards EU COM base. Big alien ships equals lots of room for a lot of aliens. I am not doubting that the X-COM agents can push back the alien aggresion, but I am predicting some PSI attacks which might lead to a bloodbath.

To quote a recently made song:

"Let the bodies hit the floor"

Last edited by Superman=#54 : 04-22-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 PM   #71
JeeberD
General Manager

Wow, looks like it might not take to long before I get called up. Good luck EU COM agents!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 AM   #72
Blade6119
Coordinator

well...lets see...its late, godzilla is in the dynasty section, and i havent seen a post in another thread....is this the update ive been praying for??? If it is good luck my brothers in arms, and may god(allah or whatever you believe) protect you!!!!!

If not, than ignore, which you all seem to have no problem doing anyway...i could say whatever i wanted and no one would know...this is how you guys scan:
Bee...hes smart..ill read
ahhhh...kodos...always funny...ill read
great godzilla...must read
Blade6119......that godzilla post was great...wonder when someone will respond...
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #73
Blade6119
Coordinator

so of course...right after posting he gets off....damnit all to hell
Demotivation
Old 04-23-2003, 12:52 AM   #74
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade6119
well...lets see...its late, godzilla is in the dynasty section, and i havent seen a post in another thread....is this the update ive been praying for???

Ooops. Sorry. I was looking something up here, then went and watched the end of the Minnesota/Colorado game without logging off.

Not much coming soon though. I've got to hand the final copy of my thesis in on Thursday, and other work to get done by Friday too, so there'll just be some short updates over the next three days. Next mission should be this weekend, posted on Saturday or Sunday depending on how long it is.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:53 AM   #75
Blade6119
Coordinator

I am a broken and crying man...
Demotivation
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM   #76
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Why did I click on this. It's only Blade6119...
Old 04-23-2003, 01:15 PM   #77
Blade6119
Coordinator

kodos!!!
adds to list of people to kill....
Demotivation
Old 04-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #78
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think we should give the aliens what they want. We all know they are here to take kodos back...

On a more serious note, I wish I was still in EU, but I guess its not my time to die....

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:41 PM   #79
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

August 30

EU COM Base (01:28 hours local time)

The beep of the emergency phone pulled Kodos from a deep sleep. He reached over and picked up the receiver. Within two minutes, Ravenhawk had filled him in.

Kodos thought the situation over for a second, and then made his decision. “Ravenhawk, we’ve never seen so much activity at one time, especially with these big ships. We have every right to believe that they don’t know where our base is, but that alien scout ship two weeks ago may have gotten off a message before we killed the pilot. But no matter what happens, we can’t lose this base. You read me? If we lose EU COM, we’re meat; we’ll never recover. So this is what we’re going to do. We’ll scramble USA COM and ASIA COM now. By the time they get here, though, any base battle will be all over. No one can help us. But if we’re still alive, they’ll arrive in Europe in mid-morning to attack some of the ships that didn’t come after our base. We’ll keep our EU men here until we’re sure that all the attack UFOs have set down and the base is safe. If they attack our base, we’ll give ‘em hell, and hope for the best. If the Colossal Squid is on our side and they don’t attack the base, then we’ll immediately launch for the first large UFO that sets down in Europe. If we get to the first one in time and take it out, we can hightail it back to base, resupply, and we might be able to hit another UFO before it takes off. USA COM and ASIA COM should be able to get one UFO a piece with decent luck. That’ll give us a chance to take out four of the five big ones. Scramble Captain Morgan to take out the alien scout, too. If we knock that one down, we can send someone to clean it up the next day. This could be the biggest day of fighting we’ve ever had. If they hit this base with two battleships, I don’t imagine we’ll live the day. If they don’t hit us, we’ll still end up with possibly four battles against large UFOs within 12 hours. Holy Taco. We’ll have almost all of our men engaged in combat today, and quite a few of them will be dead before nightfall. But if we take out four of their big ships, we could hurt ‘em bad. Make ‘em pay for Berlin.

You get all that?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good, and Ravenhawk?”

“Yes, sir?”

“If we’ve got even one of those battleship’s coming for EU COM, you know what we’re facing, right?”

“Yes, sir. It’s been an honor knowing you. We’ll take as many of ‘em with us as we can, sir.”

“Godspeed.”

“Over.”

Ravenhawk hangs up, then pushes the code red alarm button for EU COM. The blaring alarm jolts slumbering agents and service personnel wide awake. Within minutes preparations for the defense of EU COM are fully underway.

Almost simultaneously, alarms wake the X-COM agents of USA COM and ASIA COM. Ten minutes later their Skyrangers are full of agents and rocketing towards Europe, targets to be assigned on the fly.

The Skyranger agents:

USA COM:
Thomkal II, Revrew, Rich, Fat Football II, Jeff Nights II, Cam Edwards III, Tasan, Naiwf, Fonzie II, and Coffee Warlord II.

ASIA COM:
Jfbbis, Travis II, Split Personality III, Blade6119 III, Wade Moore, BYU, Airhog, Al Hill III, Patman II, and Qwikshot II

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 04-23-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:49 PM   #80
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm gonna miss me.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:51 PM   #81
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I would like to be on the waiting list please.

Breeze
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #82
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

DVH: With the amount of activity going on now, you may be one of the only ones left at ASIA COM within a few days. You will be the ruler of your own private Idaho.

Coffee: You went to USA COM. Your stats rock. Don't have them handy, but you could be a star.

Sterling: HQ is in the US, so you and Crappy are safe for now.

Afoci: Base attacks suck. Well, the only other base attack we've been subjected to sucked, that is. It was during X-COM I, and it ended our game. The link to it is back in the first post in this thread, if you want to read all about it.

Airhog: I wouldn't go so far as to say today is not your day to die.

Breeze: Welcome!

Kodos: Remember the Alamo! If they were able to defeat such a large army, you can too! Oh, wait.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #83
NAIWF
College Prospect

Looks like my 7th mission will give me a chance to get some kills finally. . . either that or get killed, but we'll try not to think about that option.
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #84
Blade6119
Coordinator

im off to war!!!!...good luck coffee...looks like your getting action nice and fast...just dont pass me in the rankings
Demotivation
Old 04-23-2003, 02:59 PM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
Sterling: HQ is in the US, so you and Crappy are safe for now.

Woohoo! My cowardice has served me well

Quote:
Holy Taco.
Holy Taco?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-23-2003 at 03:00 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #86
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Holy Taco?

SI

What do you expect? A Holy Burrito? A Holy Quesadilla perhaps?

Sheesh...some people.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #87
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Coffee: You went to USA COM. Your stats rock. Don't have them handy, but you could be a star.

Therefore I'm doomed to a horrible, painful death in the first 5 minutes of action.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #88
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, GB..

If "Idaho", that means you're my "BOIIII SSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!"

ZING!
ZING!
ZING!

Time to celebrate the above witicism with a little PAWTUCKET PATRIOT!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM   #89
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I can't wait for this writeup.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #90
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Well, GB..

If "Idaho", that means you're my "BOIIII SSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!"

ZING!
ZING!
ZING!

Time to celebrate the above witicism with a little PAWTUCKET PATRIOT!

Is it just me? Or is all Earth doomed if DVH is left in charge?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #91
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Agent Call Up

Tucker's AWOL.

Calling up New Star.

Ring ring ring.

Cleaned out the AWOL's left over from four months ago. Here's an updated Waiting List:

Waiting List
PHP Code:
ID  Name              Base         Status     Rank     LBrvOK?  OptUp?
90.  Coffee Warlord II  -           USA COM    Rookie   Yes      No
91.  Tucker             
-           AWOL       Rookie   Yes      No
New Star           -           Called     Rookie   Yes      No
93.  Jeeber D           
-           On Call    Rookie   Yes      No
94.  Afoci              
95.  Havok              
96.  Ronnie Dobbs       
98.  Erik Flamebeard    
99.  Bishop MVP         
100. Katon              
101. Neuqua             
102. Illinifan V        
103. Blade III          
104. Shorty II          
105. Mr
Bug IV         -           On Call    Rookie   Yes      No
106. Lokugh II          
107. Aesyrqwe           
108. Sir Fozzie         
109. Wolfpack           
-           On Call    Rookie   No       No
110. Breeze             

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 04-23-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #92
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I can't wait till Erik Flamebeard of the Neither Here Nor There gets thrown into the fray.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:09 PM   #93
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Lets givem hell boys!!!!!!!

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:01 PM   #94
revrew
Team Chaplain

Erik the Flamebeard shall either overpower all Sectoid slimeballs, or pave the way for Antonio De La Tonio to do the honors. Either way, we need to set up a base in Portland. On the other hand, if the base is for defense, I suggest we set it up in Chicago. There aren't any Redneck aliens, are there?
Old 04-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #95
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Agent Call Up

Tucker's AWOL.

Calling up New Star.

Ring ring ring.

Cleaned out the AWOL's left over from four months ago.

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...
Demotivation
Old 04-24-2003, 12:09 AM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Ooh, ooh, I hope New Star doesn't show up so I can get into this action...

Wait a sec, maybe I should wait until after this monumental battle before I start my rookie campaign.

Ah, screw it, give me some heavy plasma and let me tear into some sectoid ass!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #97
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Ah, screw it, let me tear into some sectoid ass!!!

down boy...we practice abstinance from the aliens here on earth...sorry kodos...
Demotivation
Old 04-24-2003, 12:42 AM   #98
JeeberD
General Manager

Don't make me use my heavy plasma on you. I know your family's history, it wouldn't be hard to kill you...

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-24-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:44 AM   #99
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Don't make me turn my heaby plasma on you. I know your family's history, it wouldn't be hard to kill you...

So, the truth finally comes out...and i some joke to you?...ill be in my bunk crying!!!!
Demotivation
Old 04-24-2003, 01:48 AM   #100
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

August 30
EU COM (0343 hours local time)

Fourteen men dressed in full battle gear are scattered in defensive positions throughout the EU COM base. The eerie red glow of the emergency lighting gives the base a macabre, horrific look. Each man is tapped in through a headset to the radar control, where Ravenhawk has been appraising them of the situation for the past two hours. One hour ago, one of the battleships veered off course, heading for northern France. With that, the men breathed an audible sigh of relief. If taking on one battleship was near impossible, what chance would they have had against two? But the remaining battleship has kept a steady beeline for the base for the past two and a half hours. Ravenhawk’s calm voice fills them in…

“T-minus 14 minutes and counting. Distance 100 miles. Men, if this thing hits us, it’ll come so damn fast. You might see Sectoids before you hear the alarm klaxons, so be ready. They caught our predecessors off guard in X-COM I, and no one lived. You’ve all seen the vidcaps. So stay alert.”

Silence. Time passes.

“T-minus 11 minutes. Distance 65 miles. Men, this is the time. You’re fighting for mankind. Lose here and we’re done. We’ll never recover. Win here, and we live to fight another day. Be scared, and remember, there’s nowhere to run. Fight for your children, for your cow, for free porn, I don’t care, but fight damn well. We’ll probably be outnumbered at least three-to-one, so if we all kill four we might live. Make me proud.”

Silence.

Then a slow pinging.

Ping.

Ping.

Ping.

One of the men cuts through the silence.

“What the fuck is that?”

Ravenhawk answers, “Oh, I’m watching a World War II sub flick on screen three.” He pauses for effect, then continues. “Just kidding, you moron. The aliens are pinging the earth for bases. All UFOs do that, rookie. Nothing new. Might be a good sign, though. They wouldn’t ping if they knew where we were.”

The tension in the base unwinds a notch with that last remark.

Ravenhawk adds, “Unless, of course, they know that we know that they wouldn’t ping us if they knew where our base is, and they’re just trying to get us to drop our guard.”

And the tension ratchets back up.

Time passes.

The pinging picks up speed and intensity.

Ping.

PING. Ping.

PING.

“T-minus 5 minutes. Distance 30 miles. Men, get ready. They’re coming for us.”

After a moment, the pinging comes faster and louder.

PING. PING.

PING. PING.

PING. PI—

Then stops.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“T-minus 3 minutes. It’s still on course. Lock and load, gentlemen.”

The soft click of Heavy Plasma safties releasing is the only sound in the dark, sprawling EU COM base…

(To be continued on Friday)