Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #51
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

For anybody but a Dallas fan it would have to be the Herschel Walker trade. I'm not a Vik's fan, but what were they thinking?

detroit_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:47 PM   #52
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
Ditka trading an entire draft + some to move up a few spots and take Ricky Williams....we are still recovering from that draft....
Also, I am to young to remember this trade really but the Saints traded a high first round pick for QB Steve Walsh?

Actually, believe it or not, the Saints traded a first, second, AND third round pick for Walsh, allowing Jimmy Johnson to avoid the embarassment of having lost the 1st overall pick in the 1990 draft by taking Walsh in the supplemental draft in '89...

I'm certainly biased by being a Cowboys fan, but I still can't think of a worse trade in history than essentially giving up three drafts for essentially one player. For the record, that's...

Minnesota receives...

RB Herschel Walker
Cowboys' 1990 3rd rd pick (TE Mike Jones)
San Diego's 1990 5th rd pick (through Dallas) (WR Reggie Thornton)
Cowboys' 1990 10th rd pick (WR Pat Newman)
Cowboys' 1991 3rd rd pick (WR Jake Reed)

Dallas receives...(essentially, as ESPN notes: "the picks eventually involved 15 teams and 55 players as they were combined with other choices and traded around the NFL. One such deal helped the 'Boys land the No. 1 pick in the 1991 draft, which they used on defensive tackle Russell Maryland." I don't plan to figure out all of them. )

CB Ike Holt
Vikings 1990 1st rd pick
Vikings 1990 2nd rd pick
Vikings 1990 6th rd pick
Vikings 1991 1st rd pick
Vikings 1991 2nd rd pick
Vikings 1992 1st rd pick
Vikings 1992 2nd rd pick
Vikings 1992 3rd rd pick

There will never be such a ludicrous trade of draft picks ever again, three consecutive 1st and 2nd round picks? If the Vikings hadn't been brilliant in the later rounds of the draft those few years (picking up players like RB Terry Allen, WR Jake Reed, LB Ed McDaniel etc...), the hideousness of this trade would've been even more pronounced. Mike Lynn was guilty of understatement when he said "...if we don't get to the Super Bowl while Herschel Walker is a member of the Minnesota Vikings , then we have not made a good trade."

-Jamie

EDITED: The full details of the trade are available at http://www.vikingupdate.com/history/.../thetrade.html

Last edited by JAG : 04-17-2003 at 05:02 AM.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #53
tucker342
Pro Starter

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, as I'm to lazy to look through the thread... but it has to be Babe Ruth for some money... I'm glad I'm not a Red Sox fan...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote