Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #51
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

You guys have got to admit that reading a quote like this one gave you a nice chuckle the first time you read it..

"Subby is Greek for Ham-Fisted Cunt"

I mean Ham-Fisted Cunt? Who thinks up stuff like this?

Now personally I think some of the stuff up there in the QOTM section is a bit harsh, but hey, we're all grown men (and women if there are any out there.) If someone is that offended by one of the quotes, well maybe they just shouldn't visit FOFCentral any longer and rescend their membership.. This is a damn Internet Message Board, one of millions and millions of them out there folks.. Hardly the kind of life and death stuff to get all torn up about..

Lets just relax a bit and enjoy the site..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-14-2003 at 10:08 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:07 PM   #52
sabotai
General Manager

"Um, save the colossal squid!"

HERE HERE!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #53
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

You ever wonder why one of these Squid doesn't attack a Submarine or something like in one of those old, low budget Films? Attack of the Killer Squid!!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
You guys have got to admit that reading a quote like this one gave you a nice chuckle the first time you read it..

"Subby is Greek for Ham-Fisted Cunt"

Now personally I think some of the stuff up there in the QOTM section is a bit harsh, but hey, we're all grown men (and women if there are any out there.) If someone is that offended by one of the quotes, well maybe they just shouldn't visit FOFCentral any longer and rescend their membership.. This is a damn Internet Message Board, one of millions and millions of them out there folks.. Hardly the kind of life and death stuff to get all torn up about..

Lets just relax a bit and enjoy the site..

So your saying that if I am offended by a QOTM that I should just stop posting. Hmmmm. That is a real enlightened view. So, this board should only be made up of those who agree with a certain point of view, and if you don't you should get lost?

I have a totally different view of what makes this board great, and if a QOTM makes this board look like it will not except a different point of view, then I think this board will lose what value it has.

Let me put it this way...if you don't agree that this QOTM should be removed then you should leave. Do you like that?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-14-2003 at 10:11 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #55
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Grant, maybe I think maybe you read what I was trying to say wrong, or maybe I should've worded it differently (probably Option #2 in this case).

Yeah, we've got a few, slightly vulgar, tad bit obscene, individuals in here from time to time... Or shall I say we get a few Posts from time to time that may or may not cross the line a bit here at FOFCentral. So what.. We've got a lot of different folks from numerous different backgrounds. I just don't see the point in getting all ruffled up about someone just doing their best to come up with a solid "One-Liner". That's really all they are my friend, people just trying to get a laugh here and a chuckle there.

One other point if I may.. No one has to read the QOTM... In fact, the QOTM is actually in a much smaller font and is nearly hidden in the whole layout of a individual FOFC page.

Again, lets just enjoy the site, which I know both of us do on pretty much a daily basis..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-14-2003 at 10:29 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:36 PM   #56
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
So your saying that if I am offended by a QOTM that I should just stop posting.

actually, he just said you should stop visiting. you would still be encouraged to post away, provided you figure out a way to do it without actually coming here.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #57
GrantDawg

Quote:
Grant, maybe I think maybe you read what I was trying to say wrong, or maybe I should've worded it differently (probably Option #2 in this case).

Yeah, we've got a few, slightly vulgar, tad bit obscene, individuals in here from time to time... Or shall I say we get a few Posts from time to time that may or may not cross the line a bit here at FOFCentral. So what.. We've got a lot of different folks from numerous different backgrounds. I just don't see the point in getting all ruffled up about someone just doing their best to come up with a solid "One-Liner". That's really all they are my friend, people just trying to get a laugh here and a chuckle there.

One other point if I may.. No one has to read the QOTM... In fact, the QOTM is actually in a much smaller font and is nearly hidden in the whole layout of a individual FOFC page.

Again, lets just enjoy the site, which I know both of us do on pretty much a daily basis..

I think you are missing the point. No one is saying for people not to post whatever they want. Feel free. But the QOTM post shouldn't celebrate what on the surface looks like this board supports genocide. No one any where is saying "don't post this" but the QOTM should be things that are funny or representative of the board, but I don't find religious bigotry funny.

I know quote was not originally made to promote bigotry. The QOTM format does not allow itself to put comments into context. So, all that is being said here is a comment that is very offensive out of context should not be put on pedestal like it is one of the prominent views of this board.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:55 PM   #58
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Let me say that I agree with you that the QOTM would be a better representation of FOFC in general if some of the more, shall I say offensive quotes were not a part of the rotation.

Let's leave it at that my friend.

Personally I'm more interested in your thoughts on that bogus Offensive Pass Interference Call against the Golden Knights in their game against UGA in Athens a few seasons ago that basically cost UCF the game. That still haunts myself and a number of other UCF'ers to this day.

Home-MotherF'in'-Cookin' to its absolute finest (or worst from my point of view).
Old 04-14-2003, 11:01 PM   #59
GrantDawg

Quote:
Personally I'm more interested in your thoughts on that bogus Offensive Pass Interference Call against the Golden Knights in their game against UGA in Athens a few seasons ago that basically cost UCF the game. That still haunts myself and a number of other UCF'ers to this day.

Home-MotherF'in'-Cookin' to its absolute finest (or worst from my point of view).

Enough calls have gone against my Dawgs to say if that was wrong, then we are still owed many more.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:51 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since there's some conversation in this thread that indicates numbers and/or volume of opinion about the quote in question might influence its fate, I'll add mine to the mix.

I find that quote far better than at least 80% of the ones I've seen featured in QotM. Removing it on the grounds that it might/does offend someone or another opens a very real argument that you should then remove every quote that might/does offend anyone.
Which I'd say pretty much eliminates the majority of the quotable moments at FOFC.

I'd much rather just see QotM eliminated altogether than start trying to make it p.c., which IMO is exactly what this whole notion smacks of.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:58 AM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

Hmm...saying we should bomb a religious holy city is still better than what 80% of the other quotes say? I can say I strongly disagree with that. And I don't think that saying we should remove a quote that suggests we bomb a religious holy city is nitpicky PCism.

I hate PC as much as the next person, but I also think things should be consistent. Would that quote be there if instead of Mecca it was the Vatican or Jerusalem?

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know in context the author was not seriously suggesting we bomb Mecca. However, in QOTM, it's not in context.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am suggesting we bomb the fuck out of the Vatican. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:49 AM   #62
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I missed the genocide part. How did we get there again?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would that quote be there if instead of Mecca it was the Vatican or Jerusalem?

Would your aunt be your uncle is she had different plumbing?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:19 PM   #64
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
You ever wonder why one of these Squid doesn't attack a Submarine or something like in one of those old, low budget Films? Attack of the Killer Squid!!

This needs to happen. Soon.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #65
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I never saw the quote in it's original context, but it's meaning was pretty clear to me.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:16 PM   #66
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog

(I'm defining "vulgarities" as the more "hardcore" words--"shit", '"fuck", "blowjob", "pussy", "cock", "dick", etc. and any of their derivatives.) How does that grab y'all?

Reading this from SkyDog reminds me of those rare occassions when I've heard my mother drop such words as the F Bomb. The woman could have been a nun she's so straight laced. The time she told my brother's girlfriend to go "bag her ass," I almost ruptured a spleen I laughed so hard.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:20 PM   #67
sabotai
General Manager

"Would your aunt be your uncle is she had different plumbing?"

Please explain how this idiotic comment is in any way relevant to what I said...
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #68
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
"Would your aunt be your uncle is she had different plumbing?"

Please explain how this idiotic comment is in any way relevant to what I said...

This should sum it up

Quote:
My uncle used to love but she died
A chicken ain't chicken 'til he's licken good and fried
Keep on the sunny side
My uncle used to love me but she died

who'll bid me quarter, thirty cents for a ring of keys
three sixty-five for a dollar bill of groceries
I'll have me a car of my own someday but 'til then I need a ride (thanks Steve)
my uncle used to love me but she died

Keep on the sunny side
My uncle used to live me but she died

Hamburger cup of coffee lettuce and tomato
two times a dime to see a man kiss the alligater
one more time around free on the ferris wheel ride
my uncle used to love me but she died

Keep on the sunny side

Apples are for eatin and snakes are for hissin
I've heard about a'huggin and I've heard about kissin
I read about it free in a fifty cent illustrated guide

Keep on the sunny side

Well my uncle used to love but she died
Keep on the sunny side
Old 04-15-2003, 02:42 PM   #69
sabotai
General Manager

THanks Fritz, that mades so much more clear!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai Please explain how this idiotic comment is in any way relevant to what I said...

I guess familiarity with a saying I've heard for years would have been helpful.
The saying usually goes something like " ... and your Aunt Ethel would be your Uncle Fred if she were plumbed different"

It's used like the saying "If 'ifs & buts' were candy & nuts, then we'd all have a merry little Christmas" and there's probably other variations other people know better. It basically points out that "if" isn't always what "is".

So, with that in mind ... you said.

Quote:
Would that quote be there if instead of Mecca it was the Vatican or Jerusalem?

and then I said

Quote:
Would your aunt be your uncle is she had different plumbing?

In other words, I don't think it's likely the Vatican reference would have lasted but then again, it wouldn't have made much f'n sense either, since we weren't/aren't involved in combat where there's very many Catholics among the enemy. So your "if" doesn't really seem to have a helluva lot to do with the question at hand.

Get it now?
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:15 PM   #71
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Southerners.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:42 PM   #72
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd just like to point out that, as a duly appointed representative of the Colossal Squid, I have no issue with any Colossal Squid-related QOTMs. In fact, I encourage them.

Thank you.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #73
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Southerners.
"GOD talks like we do."--Lewis Grizzard

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-15-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #74
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dola--I'd always heard it said, "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle."
Old 04-15-2003, 10:08 PM   #75
Subby
lolzcat

I don't want to get us off the discussion here, but I wanted to point out two things:

1) Cunt is a great word. Try dropping it in conversations at work.

2) Ironically, Ham-fisted cunt is Mandarin for WSU Cougar!!!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote