Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bill Simmons summed up well what most have already said in this thread.......

Bill Simmons on the Tiger Woods speech - ESPN

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #52
Drake
assmaster

I sort of rank Tiger's cheating up there with the guy in my office who's fucking around on his wife. It makes him a lousy husband. I feel for his wife. It probably makes me question his judgment and morality in general (i.e., I wouldn't want him giving relationship advice to my sons).

But at the end of the day, the only infidelity I really give a fuck about is cheating in my own marriage. The guy in my office? Don't care. He and I will have issues if he doesn't get his job done and it inconveniences me. I might not think he's a stellar human being and might not hang out with him because hes plowing some other woman than his wife, but it doesn't impact my working relationship with him.

Same with Tiger. I don't care if he's an adulterer except to the extent that it messes with my enjoyment of golf. (I don't really enjoy golf except to watch Tiger a few times a year in a major.) I might not consider him a role model, but whether he's cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes, peddling drugs to minors, blah, blah, blah, it isn't going to stop me looking for his name on the leaderboards.

I'm sort of baffled by the whole public apology thing. He doesn't owe me an apology. If he's doing it because his wife demanded it, than I applaud him for submitting himself to the public humiliation. It shows he's trying. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Doesn't change the situation one whit to me whether or not he apologizes.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #53
boberot
High School Varsity

Most people seem to disagree with me, but:

I feel Tiger Woods [the man] doesn't owe the public shit. I think Tiger Woods [the corporation] owes plenty. He's made countless millions of dollars off of his image, presumably something along the line of the All-American young black adonis, revolutionizing a game dominated by older white guys with his winning smile and uncanny ability. That got him mainstream visibility. The video game series named after him. The other countless endorsements. The man's got his own damn logo, for God's sake.

When you build an empire off of your image, becoming a multi-millionaire along the way -- and are then revealed to be a complete & lecherous fraud, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that there should be a little public accountability.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's a bit interesting for me just from the standpoint of hearing other people's reactions vs my own.

See, Tiger's dominance has pretty much ended me watching golf entirely over the past few years whereas before I was at least a watch The Masters & some of the other majors guy. I just had no interest at all in watching the annoyingly phony & smug SOB lap the field as often as he did. I'll give him his due as one of the all-time greats, only a fool wouldn't I think, but I had no interest in watching him (and by association golf since that's the bulk of the coverage if he's playing). I guess I have about the same reaction to him that some of FOFC has about Brett Favre.

So for me there's no disappointment, it changes nothing about how I have no desire to see the guy. Didn't before, don't now. But there's not much joy in it either I'm afraid, the air of superiority is burst but I'm largely BFD about that. Maybe because that's pretty much where I'd gotten with golf during the Tiger era? I dunno.

But over the weekend I got a chance to listen to a fairly long conversation involving about a half dozen hardcore golfers. Not great golfers or anything, just your average country club early middle aged upper middle income (or a bit beyond perhaps). While they were laughing at the amount of coverage, between them they could also quote it nearly word for word, even talked about the various post-speech analysis. Their take was split between "WTF was he thinking with this press conference" and "he had to do it & it went okay". What I thought was more interesting was that even as they made fun of all the networks that covered it, not only did every single one of them stop what they were doing & watch it but they've also watched replays of it, professional analysis of it, and then dissected it in detail amongst themselves.
The little media guy inside me had a hard time not laughing out loud at the hypocrisy, since they're exactly why it was covered to death and yet they seemed to be blissfully unaware of their contribution to it.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FXNC, ESPN, CNN and Golf Channel ratings combined for 5.2 million households watching the Tiger press conference. Even at the minimum of 1 viewer per household (usually comes in between 1.2 and 1.4 per HH) that total would be fifth among all cable "shows" in the latest ratings, trailing only the NBA All-Star game on TNT, a movie on Disney, and the WWE. It's also larger than the average number of primetime viewers of all five cable news networks combined.

Multichannel News
Tiger_s_Apology_Holes_Golf_Channel_s_Second_Best_Telecast_Of_2010.php?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way - Sports News

I guess they didn't buy the apology either.
NEW YORK (AP) - Add Gatorade to the list of endorsement deals that Tiger Woods has lost.

A spokesperson for the drink, sold by PepsiCo Inc., confirmed late Friday that it had ended its relationship with the golfer.

"We no longer see a role for Tiger in our marketing efforts and have ended our relationship," a Gatorade spokeswoman said. "We wish him all the best."

The spokewoman said Gatorade would continue its relationship with the Tiger Woods Foundation.

Gatorade discontinued its Tiger Woods-brand drinks in November, a decision made before Woods' marital problems and infidelities became known.