Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Anyway, my sister is there, or works there at least. She's okay -- I guess she was off-post at the time.

Glad your sister is well Pass, such a tragedy in a place our troops should be safest.

RIP and prayers to the families.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #52
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Technically it would be military and in this case probably federal having happened on a base. That being said I am sure the miltary authoriites will be working with the local state prosecutors to see who can get a more severe sentencing with death almost certainly being the aim IMHO.

Conviction in a court marshal can result in the death penalty. I'm guessing this is where the trial ends up, since the majority of those killed and wounded were servicemen, and more importantly the shooter was too.

Court-martial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for what its worth.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-06-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

The thing that bothers me about this shit is that they take other people. If you hate your life then kill yourself. These assholes have to take other people with them though. Just can't stand stories like this.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #54
whomario
Pro Starter

right now the "he was muslim and went on a suicide mission" is not more likely than "he was bat crazy and crushed by the military structure" ...

Quote:

His carnage followed several other cases of U.S. soldiers turning homicidal against their comrades.
In May, Sgt. John Russell, 44, went on a rampage at Camp Liberty in Iraq, killing five soldiers in an anti-stress clinic. Sgt. Joseph Bozicevich, 39, murdered two superiors at a base south of Baghdad in September 2008.
Suicides are also on the rise. Army suicides are up 37% since 2006, and the military rate is higher than the civilian rate.
Since the 2003 Iraq invasion, 75 Fort Hood soldiers have killed themselves, nine this year. That prompted the base to take steps to reduce stress on soldiers, including cutting work hours and ordering them to be home in time for dinner.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/06/2009-11-06_why_did_fort_hood_killer_snap.html#ixzz0W4TtYbSx

I mean, those are some substantial numbers right there, didnīt hear that much about it (then again german media doesnīt have the american military and itīs problems high on their list of priorities obviously) .
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not until it was quoted in the next post.

But oddly enough what jumped out at me much more shockingly was the rank of the reported shooter, way moreso than his more-exotic-than-John-Smith name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
+1
+2. That really jumped out at me, too.

Just read this on him, in this story...

Picture begins to emerge of Fort Hood suspect - CNN.com

Quote:
According to military records, Hasan was born in Virginia, and a federal official said he was a U.S. citizen of Jordanian descent.

Military records show Hasan receiving his appointment to the Army as a first lieutenant in June 1997 after graduating from Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, with a degree in biochemistry.

Six years later, he graduated from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences' F. Edward Hebert School Of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland, and was first an intern, then a resident and finally a fellow at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Promoted to captain in 2003, he was promoted to major in May.
In 2009, Hasan he completed a fellowship in disaster and preventive psychiatry and was assigned to Darnall in July.

He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the Army Service Ribbon, but was never deployed outside the United States.

My sniff test says this sounds like a case of a previously-valuable asset with a significant track record of good/excellent service who just went nutso, whether for non-religious or religious reasons. 12 years is an awfully long time to have been in the military with intending to pull something like this.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

weren't there multiple shooters though? or have they backed off that?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #57
Ben E Lou

See the lead story at CNN.com. They've backed off it publicly, at least.

Quote:
Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- The suspect in Thursday's deadly shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, is in stable condition, the hospital commander at the base said Friday.

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a psychiatrist practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, was shot multiple times and was taken into custody, ending the shooting rampage Thursday afternoon.

The gunman opened fire at a military processing center at Fort Hood, killing one civilian and 12 soldiers, said Col. John Rossi, deputy commanding general at Fort Hood.

Twenty-eight people are still hospitalized and in stable condition, Rossi said at a news conference Friday morning. Hasan is the sole suspect in the shootings, Rossi said.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #58
Calis
College Starter

I think people are giving too much credit to the time in. When I was in some of the most jacked up people around were the ones who had been in for years and I met a fair share of Majors who weren't clicking on all cylinders.

Obviously going to this sort of extreme is another matter all together though, but I actually didn't see the rank or time in service as shocking.

I think it's probably a mixture of factors from getting deployed to treatment or perceived treatment based off his name/religion, and what he's seen from people coming back.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #59
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I think people are giving too much credit to the time in. When I was in some of the most jacked up people around were the ones who had been in for years and I met a fair share of Majors who weren't clicking on all cylinders.

Obviously going to this sort of extreme is another matter all together though, but I actually didn't see the rank or time in service as shocking.

I think it's probably a mixture of factors from getting deployed to treatment or perceived treatment based off his name/religion, and what he's seen from people coming back.

I agree totally, when I served there was still quite a few Vietnam vets in and I swear some of them could not have functioned outside the military and like Calis I met more than 1 that was plain nuts. Lengthy service time and combat/pending combat experience, especially in places as fucked as Iraq/Vietnam seem to make some very susceptible to this type of thing unfortunately.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #60
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
My sniff test says this sounds like a case of a previously-valuable asset with a significant track record of good/excellent service who just went nutso, whether for non-religious or religious reasons. 12 years is an awfully long time to have been in the military with intending to pull something like this.

FYI, everyone in the military gets the National Defense Service Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. They're just medals to make Soldiers feel better because they don't have anything on their chest. The Army Service Ribbon is given out when Soldiers complete AIT or and Officer Basic Course.

If he had the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, it would've meant that he deployed.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #61
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
FYI, everyone in the military gets the National Defense Service Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. They're just medals to make Soldiers feel better because they don't have anything on their chest.
Heh. Freakin' Bobby Brady awards, eh?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #62
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Yep.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #63
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Conviction in a court marshal can result in the death penalty. I'm guessing this is where the trial ends up, since the majority of those killed and wounded were servicemen, and more importantly the shooter was too.

Yes, it can result in a death penalty but he did this int he state of TEXAS so they surely could get the death penalty quickly there. Shit they probably could get him a death penalty for each person killed. Flip the switch 12 times on the bastard.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #64
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yes, it can result in a death penalty but he did this int he state of TEXAS so they surely could get the death penalty quickly there. Shit they probably could get him a death penalty for each person killed. Flip the switch 12 times on the bastard.

OK, this made me laugh.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #65
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

Agree same experience for me as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not all, but we aren't fighting multiple wars to protect ourselves from some atheists who want to fly planes into buildings. Take a look at most of the major global conflicts today and let me know what they have in common.

Power, land, hatred. I don;t see love, respect, and tolerance, which are principles espoused by every major religion. Just because someone claims they are a part of a religion doesn't mean they are.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #67
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

I think that his religious beliefs factored in as the pressure/catalyst for him to snap, but were not to blame for the act no more than if the catalyst had been an unfaithful spouse.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Flip the switch 12 times on the bastard.

What's that burning smell?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #69
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I think that his religious beliefs factored in as the pressure/catalyst for him to snap, but were not to blame for the act no more than if the catalyst had been an unfaithful spouse.

You've talked to him personally?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #70
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Considering he yelled, "Allahu Akbar" during the shootings it's not a bad guess.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #71
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Considering he yelled, "Allahu Akbar" during the shootings it's not a bad guess.

That may have happened, but after all the false and mistaken reports yesterday I'm not going to take that at face value yet.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #72
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Yeah, any one who is trying to just paint this as a crazy guy I think will have a tough time selling that one to the jury don't you think? Why would they even entertain that idea and help this guy get a insanity plea? I think there were obvious religious undertones at the least with these shootings. The evidence is already coming out he was a vocal opponent to the war's and had compared the suicide bombers top soldiers who jumped on grenades to save other soldiers. Not sure what it all means but it doesn't sound good for Major Hasan I would say for sure.

I also have a question on where this Shrink got the two guns in the first place? I am assuming they were his personal privately owned guns? If it comes out he just bought these guns recently it will be a shame there was not some kind of check that could of alert the authorities that already had him marked as a possible threat.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-06-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

It is sad that someone who received so much sponsored training through our military repaid his debt with such violence.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Power, land, hatred. I don;t see love, respect, and tolerance, which are principles espoused by every major religion. Just because someone claims they are a part of a religion doesn't mean they are.
Kind of an easy out to just say that everyone who flies into a building or shoots up a military base while espousing their religuous beliefs were not really part of the religion. Maybe next you can tell me that gangs are completely safe because those who kill other people are not really part of the gang.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #75
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Kind of an easy out to just say that everyone who flies into a building or shoots up a military base while espousing their religuous beliefs were not really part of the religion. Maybe next you can tell me that gangs are completely safe because those who kill other people are not really part of the gang.

An easy out of what?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #76
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
An easy out of what?
I said that many of our major conflicts in the world are religious in nature. He said that those people don't count for some reason as being part of religion for some reason.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #77
RainMaker
General Manager

This might have been the stresser. A fellow soldier ripped a bumper sticker off his car and keyed it.

Manager: Muslim sticker removed from suspect's car - Yahoo! News
Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #78
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I said that many of our major conflicts in the world are religious in nature. He said that those people don't count for some reason as being part of religion for some reason.

I think it's greatly oversimplifying things to say that our major conflicts are religious in nature -- I think that's an assumption that's being made because the sides involved are of different religions, and because religion is used to rile people up for it. But I think in each case, there's a true nature to the conflict that religion is shielding. That might have been what Abe was trying to say too, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #79
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
This might have been the stresser. A fellow soldier ripped a bumper sticker off his car and keyed it.

Manager: Muslim sticker removed from suspect's car - Yahoo! News

tarcone!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
tarcone!!!!
When I saw what the sticker said, I thought the same exact thing.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #81
Dutch
"Dutch"

A very tragic day indeed. My heart goes out to the soldiers that lost their lives, their families, and every one directly or indirectly related to this massacre.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #82
lungs
Pro Rookie

One of the wounded grew up not too far from me.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #83
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

As for one of the rumors that there were multiple shooters. One of the two cops who shot him heard people telling him "two more...two more". He thought they were telling him there were two more suspects.

Actually they were saying...'put two more into him.'

Officer Describes Hasan Firefight - CBS News

It looks like there is still a lot that is unclear about what actually took place.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #84
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post

here is an article mentioning how rae it is for the death penalty in miltitary justice cases outside of war time/combat scenarios.
Death penalty rare, executions rarer in military - Yahoo! News
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize soldiers weren't armed at all times. I expected an ankle holster weapon would be standard issue.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bump

Alleged Fort Hood shooter confirmed dead, 14 injured - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

KCEN-TV reported an active shooter at Fort Hood around 4:30 p.m. CT, and said several injuries have been sustained and one person has been taken to the hospital with injuries.

The Associated Press reports the alleged shooter died of a self-inflicted wound, according to an internal Justice Department report.

At least 14 have been reported injured in a shooting that reportedly started at the medical support building on Fort Hood in central Texas on Wednesday.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #87
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate sequels
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #88
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Hate is a strong word.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #89
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Seriously? Why do these tragedies always bring out the troll?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #90
Dutch
"Dutch"

Damn.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NBC Dallas reporting that it appears to have begun with an argument in the motor pool. Shooter tentatively ID'ed as a 34 y/o enlisted man

3 Victims, Gunman Dead After Second Fort Hood Mass Shooting | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #92
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Various media outlets now reporting the soldier was an Iraq vet who was being reviewed for PTSD.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote