Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year for the OG, followed closely by Valentine's Day. However, I certainly understand casual and fine dining places being busy, but fast food? Who takes their mother out for a burger or fried chicken?!?

As discussed up the thread briefly, there's no shortage of people in the world for whom KFC is a treat and a fairly significant expense.

For that matter, there are people who don't care for dining in at restaurants but might enjoy not cooking. My mother isn't the best example but she'd just as soon have a bucket from KFC as dine in at 95% of places either.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My favorite of the comments under this blog is, "Thanks for nothing Oprah." lol
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #53
Logan
Head Coach

KFC's Refusal to Give Away Grilled Chicken Sparks Sit-In? - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #54
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Following this is going to make today a great day.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #55
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

KFC = KlusterFuCk

And yes I know it's actually spelled with a C!!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Also note that even if people don't go for full meals at KFC on Mother's day, many people might be there to pick up a side to take back with them to eat at their house. Somebody getting KFC's coleslaw for one of our family get togethers is fairly common.

Token Patton Oswalt clip on KFC's bowls. NSFW due to language.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #57
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The weird thing to me about this coupon thing is when the workers said that they won't accept coupons with the numbers "1234" on them, when apparently they all have that number at the end. Why are they making it seem like it's something wrong with the particular coupons people have?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
The weird thing to me about this coupon thing is when the workers said that they won't accept coupons with the numbers "1234" on them, when apparently they all have that number at the end. Why are they making it seem like it's something wrong with the particular coupons people have?

After reading a number of the blogs that were all over this yesterday, best I can figure is that the 1234's came from a particular .pdf version (apparently posted somewhere by an Oprah employee) while unique numbers were generated if you were able to get one printed by going through the promotional website.

Some places took 'em anyway, others didn't, plus there were franchisees not participating in the promotion in the first place, plus some locations were given a woefully inadequate supply of the grilled chicken. Basically a gigantic clusterfuck that was pretty predictable in the absence of a great deal of advance preparation.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #59
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Basically a gigantic clusterfuck that was pretty predictable in the absence of a great deal of advance preparation.

True. But doesn't this seem like a new phenomenon, to have these kind of giveaways cause the shit to hit the fan? I remember in the late 90's when Burger King changed their fries, they gave out free fries all day January 2nd (I remember this because I wanted to stop at every Burger King to pick some up on my way from home back to campus, but the people I was giving rides to weren't really for it), and I don't remember any kind of clusterfuck there -- I guess it's either the internet making it easier to get the word out about the giveaway, or about the clusterfuck.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember they opened a new Krystals in Bristol....there were no specials whatsoever, and the line was like an hour long constantly for the first week. At least in busy times anyways. Never seen anything that crazy since. Maybe the 50 Cent release day and when the restaurant I worked at reopened after Hurricane Isabel. I suppose black friday 2007 was equally as retarded.

Last edited by stevew : 05-07-2009 at 03:31 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
when Burger King ruined their fries

Fixed that for you (assuming that was the origin of the usually gnarly things they serve today).
Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #62
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Jon's got it right.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #63
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Pretty busy at lunchtime here in Columbus, I saw people getting out of cars 4 deep all with coupons in tow. Waited about 10-15 minutes in the drive through because I said I would pick up the girlfriend some lunch on the way home...They took the photocopied coupon a coworker gave me, so what the hell its free.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Coupon fraud on this is going to be off the hook. I can't imagine them having a way to exclude a coupon. What is gonna stop you from color copying and eating there every day for the next few weeks. I probably pass by 4-5 KFC locations per night or more.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #65
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

KFC will no longer accept the coupons but will give you a raincheck for a later date...

Rain Check Information - KFC.com
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Like death & taxes, this too was inevitable ...
Lawsuit targets KFC chicken giveaway | ajc.com

A California man has a bone to pick with KFC over its wildly popular grilled chicken giveaway.

James Asanuma has filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court, saying the chain’s April giveaway was a clever scam to trick customers into spending more money, the Web site tmz.com reports.

The lawsuit alleges that KFC promised customers two pieces of grilled chicken, two individual sides and a biscuit. But the promotion, which was promoted on the “Oprah Winfrey Show,” generated more demand than KFC could supply.

And although customers who were denied their right to free food were given vouchers, Asanuma’s suit says that’s not good enough.

The suit calls the tactic “bait and switch” and said customers incurred “travel costs, paper and printing costs, postage, the money they spent on other food items at KFC on visits when they had intended to redeem the coupon … and the loss of the value of the promised meal,” TMZ reported.

The suit seeks unspecified damages.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

What's this dude's address so I can go kick him in the nuts?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #68
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
What's this dude's address so I can go kick him in the nuts?

It might take a couple kicks.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stuff like that pisses me off.

And the dude that sued the A's for only giving away a hat to females on mothers day(and won). I think it was on the Reilly column on ESPN.

Repeated bludgeoning would be appropriate.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #70
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Stuff like that pisses me off.

And the dude that sued the A's for only giving away a hat to females on mothers day(and won). I think it was on the Reilly column on ESPN.

Repeated bludgeoning would be appropriate.

I hope the judge awarded him... 1 female hat.

And then he had to pay the lawyer fees.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #71
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Pay to the order of Iron Balls McGinty... one dollar and NINE CENTS!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #72
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
It might take a couple kicks.

Or 5, just to be sure...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #73
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

When I found out that KFC was giving out vouchers instead of chicken, I threw out my coupons. I figure in all it cost me maybe 10 cents in ink and paper.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote