Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #51
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Got a weather station as a Christmas present and have been putting it to use watching the temps fall today. We're down to 24 on the back porch and had a stretch from about 5-6:30 PM today where the temps were falling at about four degrees an hour. For North Carolina, it's cold, but obviously not that cold compared to much of the country right now. Still forecasting single digits possibly tomorrow night which will be easily the coldest night since we've moved back to North Carolina over a year ago (but isn't close to the coldest I've ever experienced, as there were a few sub-zero nights when we lived in Ann Arbor).

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #52
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
cold is fun!!

as long as you're properly equipped there's nothing like a nice brrrrr-cold day. I'd much rather walk home from the train when it's single-digits and feel the cold stillness of a winter's night then be huffing and sweating my way home in 95-degree summer heat

that being said - i wouldn't want to be caught outside without winter-gear at this time of year...but when you live in a cold place you just know to always be prepared

Yep. I love the cold because you can do whatever it takes to get warm (I learned that from skiing) but it's hard to do something similar to get cool (only so much you can take off). Living in a house with central heat in the cold of winter is so much better than living without AC in the heat of summer. Even at work, the building is more comfortable in winter than in the summer with the AC going.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

(Maybe I oughtta turn down the A/C)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #54
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

A balmy -38 wind chill out there again today. And 3 - 6 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow!

Oh how I love Wisconsin.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

-11 in Chicago at 8:30 AM when I started the car (go 1999 Toyota go!). Prior to wind chill.

Also, the outlet pipe from my sump pump froze last night (noticed that the pump wasn't shutting off), so crawled down there (into the crawlspace lol) and shut it off. Hopefully it'll thaw sometime next week.

Edit: Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could go, in general, to get hay bales? I think I'd like to, next year, cover the little bit of the outlet pipe exposed to the air, so that it's somewhat less likely to freeze.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 01-16-2009 at 11:35 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #56
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
-11 in Chicago at 8:30 AM when I started the car (go 1999 Toyota go!). Prior to wind chill.

Also, the outlet pipe from my sump pump froze last night (noticed that the pump wasn't shutting off), so crawled down there (into the crawlspace lol) and shut it off. Hopefully it'll thaw sometime next week.

Edit: Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could go, in general, to get hay bales? I think I'd like to, next year, cover the little bit of the outlet pipe exposed to the air, so that it's somewhat less likely to freeze.

A farm?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

I was thinking "an unguarded field", but yeah.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #58
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A farm?

Yeah, but I'd prefer not to have to drive randomly out into the countryside looking for a farmer who wants to sell hay bales. Though that might be what I have to do....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but I'd prefer not to have to drive randomly out into the countryside looking for a farmer who wants to sell hay bales. Though that might be what I have to do....

many hardware stores sell some smaller ones around Halloween time around here...

FM
Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #60
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

That's where we were at this morning in Cleveland... -11 with a -30 wc..now it's up to 2

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #61
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
35 beleow here. (without any windchill)

It is 21 above today, a 56 degree difference in 2 days.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. 40 degrees today feels wonderful.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #63
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Managed to fall to 10 in my neck of the woods last night and then rebounded to just above freezing today. What was interesting about last night was when I went to the Costco about 6 PM to tank up, I was perfectly fine, temps were about 30 and I didn't feel cold or anything. Went inside Costco to pick up some groceries and then came back out to temps that hadn't fallen much, but I think there was a slight breeze at that point. That wind was just enough to make everything that was exposed sting. I didn't detect a breeze, but when I got home, the temp history only recorded a couple of degrees difference at the most between the time I went in and the time I left, so there must have been something blowing about because it was much worse coming out than going in.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote