Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #51
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Richard Zednick thinks that's a cut throat move.

...and Patrick Thoresen calls it a shot in the pills.

johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #52
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Don't think this was posted... a fake response from the NHL to Tiger Woods:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=gallo/080604
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #53
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
...and Patrick Thoresen calls it a shot in the pills.

That still makes me cringe.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
That still makes me cringe.

The Richard Zednik thing aint no walk in the park either...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #55
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Don't think this was posted... a fake response from the NHL to Tiger Woods:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=gallo/080604

I was hoping during the Finals, somebody asked Georges Laraque what he thought about Tiger Woods' comments, and Big Georges said "Who the hell is Tiger Woods?"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Kings fire Marc Crawford.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #57
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Kings fire Marc Crawford.

hallelujah! as someone who goes to kings games semi-regularly, i dont think i could stand watching another season of that team the way they were. i mean, is that hard for a coach to install ANY kind of system? cant you at least cycle the puck??
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #58
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Why did they wait so long to do this?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #59
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the big rumor was he was going to be fired during the season...but they went on a tiny, tiny run on the night a loss wouldve sealed his fate

why they waited til after the finals to finally can him, i have absolutely no idea. they are just a dysfunctional team in all aspects...i mean, should it take a decade to find a goalie?

especially when bryz was flat out cut and ended up with a division rival anyway...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #60
Logan
Head Coach

Any Predators fans around here?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #61
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any Predators fans around here?

Probably more here then in Nashville.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
hallelujah! as someone who goes to kings games semi-regularly, i dont think i could stand watching another season of that team the way they were. i mean, is that hard for a coach to install ANY kind of system? cant you at least cycle the puck??

Yup, my brother the Kings fan is almost certainly dizzy with happiness over this development (he's out of town, otherwise, I would already have heard all about it, I am sure).

He actually said a week ago he sorta hoped the Kings would can Crawford and go after Ron Wilson.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the big rumor was he was going to be fired during the season...but they went on a tiny, tiny run on the night a loss wouldve sealed his fate

why they waited til after the finals to finally can him, i have absolutely no idea. they are just a dysfunctional team in all aspects...i mean, should it take a decade to find a goalie?

especially when bryz was flat out cut and ended up with a division rival anyway...

My brother and I were constantly debating on whether the Kings would make a move for Bryz. Still just silly to see him end up in PHX for free.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #64
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Ryan Malone's agent meets with Ray Shero-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08163/888941-61.stm

Starting to believe more and more he's on his way out, and the Pens do their best to pay Hossa. Hossa at $8M is still a better deal, value wise, than Malone at $5M.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings signed Babcock to a new 3 year extension.

The Wild trade a 3 round pick to Anaheim for defensemen Marc Andre-Bergeron. I guess this makes sense. Anaheim has plenty of defense and with Kurtis Foster's status a bit up in the air after the broken leg, Minnesota is in need of a puck-moving defensemen.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Ryan Malone's agent meets with Ray Shero-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08163/888941-61.stm

Starting to believe more and more he's on his way out, and the Pens do their best to pay Hossa. Hossa at $8M is still a better deal, value wise, than Malone at $5M.

I read somewhere that Columbus was talking with Pittsburgh about a possible Philly/Nashville type deal, with Columbus sending Pittsburgh some picks for the rights to Malone and/or Oprik.

Not sure if I like the idea of seeing either of those guys 8 times a year.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #67
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
I read somewhere that Columbus was talking with Pittsburgh about a possible Philly/Nashville type deal, with Columbus sending Pittsburgh some picks for the rights to Malone and/or Oprik.

Not sure if I like the idea of seeing either of those guys 8 times a year.

Yeah, it was confirmed by the beat writer of the Columbus Dispatch on his blog, that the Pens and Jackets were in trade talks, for the rights of either one or two of their potential UFAs.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

I agree that it is Malone, for sure, and then Orpik would be the 2nd. I doubt that Hossa is one of those guys, just because I don't see him wanting to play for the Jackets, but a guy can dream, right?

Trying to view this without my rose-colored glasses on, I think you'll see Columbus make a BIG move this offseason, ala Philly from last year. They'll pick up rights to a couple of UFAs, as it appears they're doing with Pittsburgh. I still see them trading for someone on draft day, either Marleau, or a offensive D-Man (from Toronto, based off a swap of picks 6 and 7?). Then, in UFA, they'll go after the opposite of what they didn't get on draft day. If they can do all of this, and still maintain their top 3 prospects in Brassard, Voracek and Mason, I'll be excited.

I think management realizes how important this coming season is to the team, to show the fans how committed they are to winning.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #68
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure if this is much news or not but I just spoke with my Co-Worker who is friends with Conklin, and he told him that Shero basically said that they will not be bring Ty back next year. Saborne is on a one way contract and they can't afford to keep them both.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #69
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

probably not a bad time financially for Conklin to be on the market
Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #70
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Yeah, it was confirmed by the beat writer of the Columbus Dispatch on his blog, that the Pens and Jackets were in trade talks, for the rights of either one or two of their potential UFAs.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

I agree that it is Malone, for sure, and then Orpik would be the 2nd. I doubt that Hossa is one of those guys, just because I don't see him wanting to play for the Jackets, but a guy can dream, right?

Trying to view this without my rose-colored glasses on, I think you'll see Columbus make a BIG move this offseason, ala Philly from last year. They'll pick up rights to a couple of UFAs, as it appears they're doing with Pittsburgh. I still see them trading for someone on draft day, either Marleau, or a offensive D-Man (from Toronto, based off a swap of picks 6 and 7?). Then, in UFA, they'll go after the opposite of what they didn't get on draft day. If they can do all of this, and still maintain their top 3 prospects in Brassard, Voracek and Mason, I'll be excited.

I think management realizes how important this coming season is to the team, to show the fans how committed they are to winning.

I am all over that if I am Pittsburgh...currently, we have no picks until the 4th round.

Especially if they are certain Malone isn't coming back.

I think Columbus fans would like him, but he'll be overpaid. And won't produce like he did with Malkin. He'll break 20 goals still, and kill some penalties, stick up for teammates, and get in front of the net on the PP. Dare I say it-- poor man's Rick Nash. Problem is, do you want to give that guy $5M? Worth more like $3M.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #71
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola...can we interest you in Darryl Sydor too? Aren't he and Hitchcock pals?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #72
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I like Ryan Malone, besides when Colby played for the Pens, Malone was a guy I could root for. That being said, I think he is going to be grossly overpaid.

This was the first year he was over 50 points for the season (27G 24A). In his other year he had 43, 31, and 44 points. His rookie season, pre-Cosby, might have been his best season before this year. Suburban can correct me if I am wrong, but last year (06-07) there were a lot of rumors of the Pens trading him because they were not happy with his production.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #73
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I like Ryan Malone, besides when Colby played for the Pens, Malone was a guy I could root for. That being said, I think he is going to be grossly overpaid.

This was the first year he was over 50 points for the season (27G 24A). In his other year he had 43, 31, and 44 points. His rookie season, pre-Cosby, might have been his best season before this year. Suburban can correct me if I am wrong, but last year (06-07) there were a lot of rumors of the Pens trading him because they were not happy with his production.

Yep, he was a guy seen as expendable. He had 22 goals his rookie year (03-04) on a horrible team. Then he pretty much coasted the next two seasons. So he was seen as moveable piece to get a defensemen. Then he turned it on this year, and now, to some of the yinzer nation, we can't go on without him.

I'd give him $3M (he was at like $1.25M this year). Anything above that is overpayment for what he'll bring.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wings' assistant coach, Todd McLellan, has just been hired as the San Jose Sharks head coach.

Good for him.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #75
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and GREAT for the Sharks
Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I really don't see Hossa back in Pittsburgh. He won't take a discount, and I doubt he'd settle for anything but a raise. Having 24 mil tied up in three forwards (once Malkin gets reupped) just doesn't seem like sound business at all.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #77
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola .. I know it's all speculation but it seems like I keep hearing Hossa pop up with the Rangers. It makes sense in a way but I have a hard time seeing that.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #78
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think if Orpik and Malone are gone...the Pens will resign Hossa.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #79
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hossa to the Rangers would be awesome!

Lets go Rangers!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #80
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

That $24+ for 3 players wouldn't be until 2009 season, when the cap, guessing, is near $60M. So 40% of the cap to three players is rough, but much better then what Tampa was doing a few seasons back. Plus, Tampa never got anywhere near the cap.

I think they can handle paying those three. The problem will be that next tier of players-- Staal, Fleury, Whitney.

Whitney, IMO, would be the one to move, since Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski play a similar game, for about half his price combined. And Whitney is signed to a nice deal-- $4M a year the next 5 seasons.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #81
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

One thing is that we can't expect the cap to keep jumping $5 mil per year. It is going to have to level off sometime soon. I am all for the cap to keep rising because I know the Flyers can spend to the max each year, but it is unrealistic to think it will do so.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #82
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
One thing is that we can't expect the cap to keep jumping $5 mil per year. It is going to have to level off sometime soon. I am all for the cap to keep rising because I know the Flyers can spend to the max each year, but it is unrealistic to think it will do so.

True. I don't think the last couple years of cap hikes have been just increased revenue. I think the strength of the Canadian dollar and a player option to increase their percent from 55 to 57 (I think) have accounted for more of the last 10 million then the NHL suddenly finding a 20% increase in fandom.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #83
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I know, I know...every player says it...but this was nice to read-

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Quote:
TORONTO -- Evgeni Malkin did not leave the NHL Awards Show at Elgin Theatre on Thursday night with either the Hart Trophy or the Lester B. Pearson Award.

But he said the prize he really covets -- a long-term contract extension with the Penguins -- is on its way.
"I'm thinking maybe five or six years," said Malkin, set to enter the final season of his three-year entry-level deal. "I'm an easy guy to deal with. I'd love to stay in Pittsburgh." The NHL's collective bargaining agreement forbids the Penguins from signing Malkin to an extension until July 1. Malkin said he expects the extension will be signed "soon" after that date.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #84
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was reading a few sites looking for some rumors and here is what I found.

Malkin to sign a deal worth anywhere from 8 or 9 million per year. That is after July 1st.

Pens are going to offer Hossa a deal in the range of 6 years 38 million. They would be willing to add a 7th year but wouldn't up the price per year.

Malone would get an offer of around 5 years for 15 million dollars.

MAF is close to signing a 6 year deal worth about 27 million dollars.

If that all happens the Pens will have 22.5 million tied up in 4 players. With Staal still to be negotiated. If you added Gonchar's 5.5 mil and Whitney's 4 mil you are looking at 33 million for 6 players. 19 left to sign with only 22 mil to do it.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #85
Galaxy
Coordinator

Can the Rangers afford a superstar player like Hossa if they keep Jagr and Avery?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #86
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Rangers cap hit right now is $31 million.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #87
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Can the Rangers afford a superstar player like Hossa if they keep Jagr and Avery?

sadly, probably. i think shanahan comes off the books at 4m a year. and they had 2 defenseman come off at around another 4m combined.

jagr was on a bizarre, seemingly illegal deal where they paid him 8m a year, but since washington was picking up some of the salary, he only counted like 4m against their cap. but considering his age, youd think itd be an incentive-laden deal.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #88
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, looked it up on tsn:

RETURNING FORWARDS
Player Rating Salary
Scott Gomez 78.47 $8.0M
Brandon Dubinsky 72.82 $635K
Chris Drury 72.74 $7.1M
Ryan Callahan 66.41 $600K
Petr Prucha 60.76 $1.6M
Blair Betts 55.88 $615K
Ryan Hollweg 54.53 $525K
Colton Orr 52.95 $550K

FREE AGENT FORWARDS
Player Rating Class '07-'08 Salary
Jaromir Jagr 81.98 UFA $8.36M
Sean Avery 73.79 UFA $1.9M
Brendan Shanahan 72.54 UFA $2.5M
Martin Straka 72.23 UFA $3.3M
Nigel Dawes 69.67 RFA $475K
Fredrik Sjostrom 61.32 RFA $800K

RETURNING DEFENCEMEN
Player Rating Salary
Daniel Girardi 72.43 $1.5M
Fedor Tyutin 70.62 $2.25M
Marc Staal 65.63 $765K
Christian Backman 64.42 $3.4M

FREE AGENT DEFENCEMEN
Player Rating Class '07-'08 Salary
Michal Rozsival 74.40 UFA $2.3M
Marek Malik 67.27 UFA $2.5M
Paul Mara 66.92 UFA $3.0M
Jason Strudwick 59.81 UFA $500K
Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #89
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was reading a few sites looking for some rumors and here is what I found.

Malkin to sign a deal worth anywhere from 8 or 9 million per year. That is after July 1st.

Pens are going to offer Hossa a deal in the range of 6 years 38 million. They would be willing to add a 7th year but wouldn't up the price per year.

Malone would get an offer of around 5 years for 15 million dollars.

MAF is close to signing a 6 year deal worth about 27 million dollars.

If that all happens the Pens will have 22.5 million tied up in 4 players. With Staal still to be negotiated. If you added Gonchar's 5.5 mil and Whitney's 4 mil you are looking at 33 million for 6 players. 19 left to sign with only 22 mil to do it.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

Not that I believe all of that, but Malkin's new deal wouldn't cost against the cap until 2009. Next season he'll be in the last year of his entry level deal, about $3M.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #90
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You're right...I should've said the 09/10 season. But unless they sign a guy to a one year deal, they cant really tie much money up this offseason.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #91
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're right...I should've said the 09/10 season. But unless they sign a guy to a one year deal, they cant really tie much money up this offseason.

But Sydor and Sykora come off the payroll in 2009 = $5M
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

As Pyser's list shows, outside of a few guys, the Rangers are a pretty cheap and young team. We're probably gonna add at least two, and as many as 4 rookies to the squad for next year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #93
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Wings signed Babcock to a new 3 year extension.

The Wild trade a 3 round pick to Anaheim for defensemen Marc Andre-Bergeron. I guess this makes sense. Anaheim has plenty of defense and with Kurtis Foster's status a bit up in the air after the broken leg, Minnesota is in need of a puck-moving defensemen.

It was also a cap move. That's another couple mil off the top.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
Draft is coming soon, can't wait as this is one of the best hockey moment in the year. Here's my top 40 for anyone who could be interested:

10. John Carlson - RD - USA
Thoughts on him? He was supposed to come to UMass (and be our 1st 1st-round pick) until he blew up at the combine and signed with the OHL.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #95
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Nothing majorly significant, but the Hurricanes have extended their lease at the RBC Center another five years to 2024. Basically, the Hurricanes are getting some extra money to cope with rising costs related to the arena due to 9/11 (the original lease was signed in 1999 and didn't anticipate the spike in energy costs and the need for terrorism insurance, for example). The RBC Center is also continuing to get upgraded as time goes along. For the first time, however, NC State will get some say in future improvements to the arena.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #96
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Thoughts on him? He was supposed to come to UMass (and be our 1st 1st-round pick) until he blew up at the combine and signed with the OHL.

It mush be a blow for UMass fans, but I think it is good decision by Carlson. London have a very strong system and Hunter has developped a lot of talent. He'll get to play more games in a season, which should be benefic.

As for the player himself, he's obviously a guy I am very high on as he is up there at #10 on my draft list, the first player after what I consider a drop in talent after Cody Hodgson. I like how Carlson has every tools: He's big, solid on his skates, surprisingly agile, smart, strong, already knows how to use his body, poised and a good passer. Most of all though, he has a canon of a shot.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #97
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens file for arbitration with Fleury. This guarantees Fleury will be a Penguin at least the coming season. And stops anyone from drawing up an offer sheet after July 1st, extending the time the Pens-Fleury can work on a long term deal.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #98
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Arbitraton is a slippery slope. Just ask Buffalo.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #99
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm no hockey expert, but was wondering what the Wings will do for a backup/future starter in goal. Do they have any young guys in the system with the potential to get the job done if Osgood turns out to just have got on a roll behind that phenomenal defense? I was thinking that if they don't, I wonder if they might roll the dice on Ray Emery in a sort of "Randy Moss" situation. Bring a guy that's a bit of a head-case into a great veteran team where he could be one of the best in the league, but if he flakes out they could say "don't let the door hit you" without it affecting the team that much.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #100
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Arbitraton is a slippery slope. Just ask Buffalo.

I think it's no lose for Pittsburgh-- this time. They are paying Fleury anyway. If the arbitrator awards a $5M deal, the Pens take that for a year (2 at Fleury's choice). And continue working out the long term agreement.

If he is awarded $2.5M, they accept that, save a little bit of $$$, and continue working out a long term deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I'm no hockey expert, but was wondering what the Wings will do for a backup/future starter in goal. Do they have any young guys in the system with the potential to get the job done if Osgood turns out to just have got on a roll behind that phenomenal defense? I was thinking that if they don't, I wonder if they might roll the dice on Ray Emery in a sort of "Randy Moss" situation. Bring a guy that's a bit of a head-case into a great veteran team where he could be one of the best in the league, but if he flakes out they could say "don't let the door hit you" without it affecting the team that much.

Jimmy Howard has been being groomed for a few years now, and should slide easily into the backup spot.

HB and Detox can definitely speak better for him than be, but I think they have zero worries about him being the backup.