Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Maybe since the Frosted Flakes car didn't give it away Nascar stopped being about the good old boys about 10 years ago

And it hasn't been nearly as interesting or entertaining since.

Of course, in JJ's case, driving for the Evil Empire doesn't help either.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

NASCAR was headed corporate and slick in the mid 90s.
It was kind of a bad omen, when the first race of the network TV deal was the end of the line for #3.

Dale took NASCAR to the grand stage, but he didnt get to play.

Regardless of what some thought of him, he was beloved by his peers, and respected by Mike Helton and many of the NASCAR officials. He could tell them to go to hell, and would, and get awy with it. NASCAR has been largely unchecked for 7 years.

I remember being in North Wilkesboro for a race in the mid 90s in early October and it rained like a bitch. Nascar was drying the track and such, when Dale walked up to Helton and Bill, Sr (my step dad used to work for a number of Nascar teams and we would go to the locals and be in the pits, so this literally happened 10 feet away from me) and says "You guys do what you want, the weather man saidd its raining all day and into tonight, Im leaving and going to [he called a guy's name I dont recall, obviously a mutual friend] deer hunting I will see you tomorrow.
Helton fired back, "Go ahead. The minute you leave the grounds before the race is called, you will be disqualified even if we run tomorrow.
"Fine by me, but move that car off the front row your damn self, and oh by the way, it's your ass that's going to b paying fans their refund when you tell them you DQ'd me for leaving a wet ass track that no one could race on. And by the way, every fan who has to work will be an Earnnhardt fan tomorrow, gonna cost ya a bunch."

He slipped the Gargoyles sunglasses on and walked away. They raced the next day, he was there and I got to skip school and stay. He didnt win, but he beat Nascar that day.

They need it today. I pulled for who ever the steep dad drove for and he never worked for Dale, but I've never forgot that, and the leveerage it represented.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The influence that Dale, Sr. had & the role he played as essentially the check & balance system between the drivers & the officials has been a topic I've seen in numerous articles over the past couple of years, most often specifically about the vacuum that's existed since his death (and subtly how it's contributed to the changes that have taken place).

For several years it seemed that Tony Stewart was the closest thing to an heir apparent but it didn't seem he really wanted that role/wasn't always completely comfortable speaking for every driver instead of just himself. Oddly enough, it seems that Jeff Gordon has started to age into that role on occasion being someone that the suits will listen to and who really doesn't have much fear of them at this point in his career.

I say "oddly" although I believe Dale knew that eventually Gordon would be more typical of what NASCAR would become, he just wasn't interested in seeing it happen before it's time/before his time was finished. He also knew that Gordon wasn't ready to take on that role, which I believe had a lot to do with why he rode him early on ("Wonder Boy"). The fact that his time was cut short impacted the course of events almost certainly more than we will ever know.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And it hasn't been nearly as interesting or entertaining since.

Of course, in JJ's case, driving for the Evil Empire doesn't help either.
Ah jealously for the California boy. Oh well, not everyone can be as great as us...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Ah jealously

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(or is spelled the way you think it's spelled either)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #56
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(or is spelled the way you think it's spelled either)

It's alright to hate the best. I'm used to people hating the best, since everyone else wants to be it. But IMO if you hate the best you tend to be jealous of the fact that they have something you don't.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Video of a scary looking crash during rookie Michael McDowell's qualifying run today at Texas. Hits the wall head on at speed then barrel rolls down the track ... and walked away waving to the crowd.

The SAFER (Steel And Foam Energy Reduction) barrier saved this guy's life as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #58
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Video of a scary looking crash during rookie Michael McDowell's qualifying run today at Texas. Hits the wall head on at speed then barrel rolls down the track ... and walked away waving to the crowd.

The SAFER (Steel And Foam Energy Reduction) barrier saved this guy's life as far as I'm concerned.

IF only there was a video...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, maybe this one will work

Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #60
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy

Hell

Thank god for safer barriers....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #61
BigDPW
College Prospect

Yeah I switched to SPEED right after this crash and the replay floored me... I was delighted to hear that he was fine... That car was trashed when they had it on the hauler...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

jesus
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #63
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Its a horriffic looking crash, but Im not sure SAFE saved him there....the car never stopped and was able to flip, role and dissipate the energy....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote