Take Deion Sanders with the Top Pick 81 91.01%
Roll the dice with the top rated rookie 8 8.99%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #51
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
If Hart Lee Dykes hadn't been injured no way Deion could cover him.

Hart Lee Dykes was no Yatil Green.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #52
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
Who is this GM you hired? Rodney Dangerfield?

Last year was he a 7th grade girls soccer coach that had no time for college football?

You announced that the team was going to take a week off for the NFL combine, so your new GM went to Cabo to catch some rays. At a press confrence your new GM announced that he believes the key to winning in the NFL is good starting pitching. When asked if your defeense was going to be a 4-3 or 3-4, your GM said "No, No, we are going to play 5 on 5 this year".

Do you have any combine numbers on this draft class?

How random does our 1st pick have to be if we do not take Deon? Can we at least tell you what position we want to draft?

Let's put it this way...

Pretend, for argument's sake, that we could take Deion Sanders pre-Draft, and time travel him forward to right now. We are GUARANTEED that he is going to have the same EXACT career, statistics wise. Now, put him as draft eligible for 2008. You can't predict how great or how poorly the 2008 draftees are going to be, but you KNOW how good Deion will be. Would you take him over the top rated rookie that is available? And sure, you get combine results, scouting information, everything you normally would about these other rookies.

Now, for shits and giggles, pretend you could remove the "2008" from the above statement, and make it arbitrary (I know that's a big word...www.dictionary.com is awesome), but Deion is in whatever draft class you choose. Would you take Deion? Or a random top rookie that you don't know how they will perform?

Now, if you arbitrarily pick the 1982 draft class, you can't think "Oh, I'd take Marcus Allen over him in a heartbeat!" because in this exercise, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW GREAT OR CRAPPY A CAREER THAT MARCUS ALLEN WILL HAVE. The point is we only have hindsight on ONE person.

I'm going to stop now, because this is ridiculous.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 01-08-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #53
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

If deion sanders can time travel now, defiantly taking him over barry sanders
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #54
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel View Post
If deion sanders can time travel now, defiantly taking him over barry sanders

Excellent
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #55
Vince
Pro Starter

I grinned
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #56
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
Here's how I like to think of it. Would you take Deion or one of the following selected completely at random?

Code:
2007 1 1(1) JAMARCUS RUSSELL QB LSU 2006 1 1(1) MARIO WILLIAMS DE NORTH CAROLINA ST 2005 1 1(1) ALEX SMITH QB UTAH 2004 1 1(1) ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI 2003 1 1(1) CARSON PALMER QB USC 2002 1 1(1) DAVID CARR QB FRESNO STATE 2001 1 1(1) MICHAEL VICK QB VIRGINIA TECH 2000 1 1(1) COURTNEY BROWN DE PENN STATE 1999 1 1(1) TIM COUCH QB KENTUCKY 1998 1 1(1) PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE 1997 1 1(1) ORLANDO PACE OT OHIO STATE 1996 1 1(1) KEYSHAWN JOHNSON WR USC 1995 1 1(1) KI-JANA CARTER RB PENN STATE 1994 1 1(1) DAN WILKINSON DT OHIO STATE 1993 1 1(1) DREW BLEDSOE QB WASHINGTON STATE 1992 1 1(1) STEVE EMTMAN DT WASHINGTON 1991 1 1(1) RUSSELL MARYLAND DT MIAMI (FLA.) 1990 1 1(1) JEFF GEORGE QB ILLINOIS

I'd take Deion. But only because Jeff George is retired and I saw him recently and he looked totally washed up. So I wouldn't want him. Dude had like questionable hygeine even. I think Deion is still showering??? I know we haven't done any scouting but do we know that at least??

Ahh, but that's assuming you intellect is only the equivalent (for better or worse) of that year's #1 drafting GM. What about when LT went #5 overall in 2001?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

*head explodes*

This isn't that hard, people!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #58
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'd take him, switch his position to punter, then release him.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #59
KWhit
Coordinator

I'd rather have Herschel Walker.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #60
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
I know.

But still, in a lot of drafts you see one or two players that just grab you as can't miss.

This year I would take Deon over #1 over everyone.
Last year I would have taken Calvin Johnson over Deon.
2006 would have been Reggie Bush all the way.
2005 Deon Sanders
2004 Deon Sanders
2003 CB Terence Newman KSU
2002 Julius Peppers
2001 Leonard Davis
2000 Deon Sanders

Sorry, but sometimes there are players, barring injury, that are Can't miss players. Now, if you are going to play GOD and guarantee that Deon NEVER, EVER gets injured then most GMs are going to select Deon everytime.

I voted to take Deion Sanders with the first pick although I agree that some years I would have taken someone else such as Julius Peppers with the first pick. It really depends if someone else in the draft looks like a sure thing.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #61
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've lost track if people are just playing around, or if they really don't get it?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #62
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
*head explodes*

This isn't that hard, people!

SI

Yeah, you get over it after a little bit.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #63
KWhit
Coordinator

I don't understand why people would make any kind of a draft pick without knowing who they're picking. Has that ever happened before?

Was the GM running late the day that the draft class was announced and got into work right before the deadline, threw up his hands and said, "Fuck it, I gotta draft somebody. Let's draft George. I had a dog named George once."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #64
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I don't understand why people would make any kind of a draft pick without knowing who they're picking. Has that ever happened before?

Was the GM running late the day that the draft class was announced and got into work right before the deadline, threw up his hands and said, "Fuck it, I gotta draft somebody. Let's draft George. I had a dog named George once."
Did the Falcons know what they got when they decided to go with Michael Vick? (For example) Did the Browns know in advance that their back-to-back #1 picks would be out of football before their first double-digit wins season? How sure were the Colts in knowing they'd pick a guy who would lead them to a Super Bowl victory?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #65
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Anxiety, thank you for the intriguing exercise. You know, this is something that can be simmed in FOF. I would make the following assumptions:

1) Start with a team that you know is going to be bad
2) (optional) Sabotage any star/superstar players so that the team is even worse
3) Sim seasons until they end up with the 1(1) pick
4) SAVE GAME
5) Start a new game under the following conditions:

a) Trade the 1(1) pick to another team (random? 2nd worst team? .500 team? Suggestions?) for either an immediately released scrub or a 7th round pick
b) In the editor, either create a new player or change one of the scrubs to the star player (Dorsey, Deion, etc.)
c) The star player will have the same contract as the 1(1) player. After that contract expires, he must be kept by the team, but his contract would be at fair market rates
d) The star player would start at the same age he did in real life
e) The star player would play the same number of seasons he played in real life. If he is still active in the game at this point, he must be force retired or deleted
f) Injuries are on. If the star player suffers a career-ending injury, oh well

6) Run this game for as long as the star player's original career lasted
7) Record the results
8) Start another game based on the save game in #4, only this time keep the 1(1) pick
9) Run this game for as long as the star player's original career lasted
10) Record those results
11) Compare the results

It would take some work, and I don't have a lot of time for it, but maybe I'll pick it up when I have a few spare moments. This would actually be more interesting for baseball, but a lot of things would obviously have to change.

Meanwhile, others are more than welcome to do the same thing.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #66
FFL Buffalo Bills
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
Here's how I like to think of it. Would you take Deion or one of the following selected completely at random?

Code:
2007 1 1(1) JAMARCUS RUSSELL QB LSU 2006 1 1(1) MARIO WILLIAMS DE NORTH CAROLINA ST 2005 1 1(1) ALEX SMITH QB UTAH 2004 1 1(1) ELI MANNING QB MISSISSIPPI 2003 1 1(1) CARSON PALMER QB USC 2002 1 1(1) DAVID CARR QB FRESNO STATE 2001 1 1(1) MICHAEL VICK QB VIRGINIA TECH 2000 1 1(1) COURTNEY BROWN DE PENN STATE 1999 1 1(1) TIM COUCH QB KENTUCKY 1998 1 1(1) PEYTON MANNING QB TENNESSEE 1997 1 1(1) ORLANDO PACE OT OHIO STATE 1996 1 1(1) KEYSHAWN JOHNSON WR USC 1995 1 1(1) KI-JANA CARTER RB PENN STATE 1994 1 1(1) DAN WILKINSON DT OHIO STATE 1993 1 1(1) DREW BLEDSOE QB WASHINGTON STATE 1992 1 1(1) STEVE EMTMAN DT WASHINGTON 1991 1 1(1) RUSSELL MARYLAND DT MIAMI (FLA.) 1990 1 1(1) JEFF GEORGE QB ILLINOIS

I'd take Deion. But only because Jeff George is retired and I saw him recently and he looked totally washed up. So I wouldn't want him. Dude had like questionable hygeine even. I think Deion is still showering??? I know we haven't done any scouting but do we know that at least??

I always hated Deion Sanders...But ya have to respect a player of his caliber! And knowing he would be what he was Prime Time as much as I hate to say it....
FFL Buffalo Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #67
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
Anxiety, thank you for the intriguing exercise. You know, this is something that can be simmed in FOF. I would make the following assumptions:

1) Start with a team that you know is going to be bad
2) (optional) Sabotage any star/superstar players so that the team is even worse
3) Sim seasons until they end up with the 1(1) pick
4) SAVE GAME
5) Start a new game under the following conditions:

a) Trade the 1(1) pick to another team (random? 2nd worst team? .500 team? Suggestions?) for either an immediately released scrub or a 7th round pick
b) In the editor, either create a new player or change one of the scrubs to the star player (Dorsey, Deion, etc.)
c) The star player will have the same contract as the 1(1) player. After that contract expires, he must be kept by the team, but his contract would be at fair market rates
d) The star player would start at the same age he did in real life
e) The star player would play the same number of seasons he played in real life. If he is still active in the game at this point, he must be force retired or deleted
f) Injuries are on. If the star player suffers a career-ending injury, oh well

6) Run this game for as long as the star player's original career lasted
7) Record the results
8) Start another game based on the save game in #4, only this time keep the 1(1) pick
9) Run this game for as long as the star player's original career lasted
10) Record those results
11) Compare the results

It would take some work, and I don't have a lot of time for it, but maybe I'll pick it up when I have a few spare moments. This would actually be more interesting for baseball, but a lot of things would obviously have to change.

Meanwhile, others are more than welcome to do the same thing.

YW.

Too much work for me

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #68
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Anyone who doesn't take Deion didn't watch football in the 90's, nuff said.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #69
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I've lost track if people are just playing around, or if they really don't get it?

I'm not sure if I was one of the people you were referring to, but this is how I see it. Suppose this year you could be guaranteed to have a player who would have an identical career to Deion Sanders. Would you take that deal or would you draft someone else such Darren McFadden, Chris Long, or Glenn Dorsey without knowing how their career will turn out. Most years I would take a player who was guaranteed to have an identical career to Deion (minus the leaving in free agency) although occasionally I might take someone with a lot of pre-draft hype like Julius Peppers or Reggie Bush had.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #70
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Now, if you arbitrarily pick the 1982 draft class, you can't think "Oh, I'd take Marcus Allen over him in a heartbeat!" because in this exercise, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW GREAT OR CRAPPY A CAREER THAT MARCUS ALLEN WILL HAVE. The point is we only have hindsight on ONE person.

I'm going to stop now, because this is ridiculous.

But if I went back to 1982 with Deion I'd know what Marcus Allen's career would like like at least to '89.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #71
dime
High School JV

one of the best playmakers ever, and easily the best cornerback of all-time. it's a no-brainer. I'd take him over anyone not named john elway or peyton manning.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote