Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NY Times Op-Ed from a Wash U business professor talking about baseball's revenue sharing system and how it sucks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/op...ml?ref=opinion

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #52
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
LOL whos the moron that will pay mr overrated that much?

i dont think anyone will, but to be fair i dont think AROD really wants that much, I think thats Boras BS. And Arod will sign for much less, I really believe he hates NY by now and will go for much less somewhere else.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

First thing I thought of when I saw koruptr posted here:

"What? Colt Brennan for Cy Young too?"
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
i dont think anyone will, but to be fair i dont think AROD really wants that much, I think thats Boras BS. And Arod will sign for much less, I really believe he hates NY by now and will go for much less somewhere else.

I can't think of a single example of a Boras client leaving money on the table to go somewhere "happier".

He thought the money was there in NY.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #55
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
No way. Yunel Esocar will play shortstop, the Braves will use that money somewhere else, presumably on a center fielder.

I thought the Braves would move Willie Harris to CF and promote Matt Diaz to starting LF. Extra money should be used on locking up Texeira and adding starters to the rotation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 AM   #56
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
First thing I thought of when I saw koruptr posted here:

"What? Colt Brennan for Cy Young too?"

lol nice.

but yea I don't post as much in the baseball threads, even though Baseball was always my first love sports wise. It really hasn't been the same this year after the Chisox tanked
Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #57
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I thought the Braves would move Willie Harris to CF and promote Matt Diaz to starting LF. Extra money should be used on locking up Texeira and adding starters to the rotation.

Yea Texeira should be first priority, and I also think Glavine will sign with the braves which will help, but definetly isnt the answer to the back end of there rotation.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #58
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

From a strange article in the AJC where the author lobbied to Braves to trade for Ken Griffey Jr. to play center:

Quote:
“The strategy from there (after the Renteria trade) would be for us to get a center fielder,” said Frank Wren on Wednesday, the sharp baseball man who will make a seamless transition into John Schuerholz’s role as Braves general manager.

“I would say that going strong in the free-agent market would be our least likely alternative,” Wren said. “I say that just because, with the young players we have coming (in the farm system), it just wouldn’t make sense to go sign somebody for four, five, six years when we have what we think are better players on the horizon. With that being said, the free-agent market probably doesn’t make as much sense as a trade. The trade market is probably the most likely way we’ll fill center field.”

So I don't think management sees Willie Harris as the answer in CF, a good thing IMO.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #59
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a Griffey hater and I think he's played hard for the Reds, but if ATL wants him I'd love to work a deal. With Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce all needing a spot, someone has to go and I think Griffey is the best choice.

Hopefully things work out better for him somewhere else.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #60
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Thanks for the explanations on the contract, guys.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #61
Atocep
Coordinator

As a Mets fan, watching the Braves go from Andrew Jones' defense in center to Griffey's would be rather humerous.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #62
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen, that was just one columnist's stupid idea. But the Braves do need to make a trade for someone, Harris isn't good enough to play everyday.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dayton Moore seems to love trading with the Braves so I'm guessing David DeJesus is an option.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

In an effort to show that he hasn't changed one bit, Sammy Sosa announced he'd only return to the Rangers next year for $7 mil.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #65
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cabrera is officially on the block

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...l?eref=mostpop

Quote:
ORLANDO -- Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera is officially on the trading block.

The Marlins have begun contacting selected teams about the possibility of a Cabrera blockbuster. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels are all expected to have interest.

Florida will likely seek a package of three young players, including at least one or two top-tier talents for Cabrera, 24, who is eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.

The cost-conscious Marlins, whose payroll was below $30 million in 2007, don't want to dedicate too much of their budget to one player. Cabrera's salary is expected to rise from $7 million to about $12 million through salary arbitration.

The Marlins may also entertain offers on star pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

*sigh*
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #66
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
PJohan SantanaGreg Maddux
CIvan RodriguezRussell Martin
1BKevin YoukilisDerrek Lee
2BPlacido PolancoOrlando Hudson
SSOrlando CabreraJimmy Rollins
3BDavid WrightAdrian Beltre
OFTorii Hunter
Grady Sizemore
Ichiro Suzuki
Carlos Beltran
*Jeff Francoeur
Andruw Jones
*Aaron Rowand

Gold Gloves announced today. No Derek Jeter this year!

I haven't really checked, but Sizemore and Hunter are average defenders, at best. Everything else actually looks pretty good for once.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #67
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Gold Gloves announced today. No Derek Jeter this year!

I haven't really checked, but Sizemore and Hunter are average defenders, at best. Everything else actually looks pretty good for once.

You probaly should check, cause they are definitely at least above average.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #68
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
You probaly should check, cause they are definitely at least above average.

I actually did after posting that. Hunter was almost right at average and Sizemore rated below average.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #69
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So Francoeur and Rowand tied in the voting and both get a Gold Glove. I'd never seen that happen before. It was good for Francoeur to get in there, not just because he's a Brave, but also to have a non-centerfielder win the award.

I was curious enough to look it up on Wikipedia, apparently the only other tie in Gold Glove voting occurred in 1985:

* Dwight Evans - Boston Red Sox (Tied)
* Dave Winfield - New York Yankees
* Dwayne Murphy - Oakland Athletics (Tied)
* Gary Pettis - California Angels
Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #70
Brillig
College Prospect

Jimmy Rollins?!?

I call shenanigans.

The correct order for NL shortstops is:

Tulowitzki
Vizquel
Rollins

Tulowitzki had the best season, along with the cachet of the unassisted triple. Vizquel had a good season as well, and has the umpteen previous Gold Gloves (which has to bear some weight, otherwise, how do we explain Maddux?).

Rollins is 3rd in fielding percentage, 5th in range factor amongst shortstops with at least 100 GS.

Blech.

Last edited by Brillig : 11-06-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Tulowitzki is not easy to spell, let alone twice.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #71
cougarfreak
College Starter

Brandon Phillips deserved the NL Gold Glove at 2b.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #72
Atocep
Coordinator

He and Tulowitzki both have good arguments, however, they didn't do a horrible job this year. Sizemore is probably the least deserving and at least he's close to average.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #73
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I actually did after posting that. Hunter was almost right at average and Sizemore rated below average.
What stats are you checking?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #74
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So Francoeur and Rowand tied in the voting and both get a Gold Glove. I'd never seen that happen before. It was good for Francoeur to get in there, not just because he's a Brave, but also to have a non-centerfielder win the award.

I totally disagree. If these guys were really that great, they'd be playing center. Unless you have a situation where there are really two CFs in the same outfield like when Cameron was playing with Ichiro, I can't really see giving the GG to corner outfielders as a good idea.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tulo is also a rookie. He'll get his time, though, provided he keeps playing like he did this year.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #76
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
What stats are you checking?

I generally go by Fielding Runs Above Average, which has Sizemore at -6 runs, which falls right in line with the average of his last 2 years. Hunter was a +3 runs, which also falls right in line with his career norms except for his '01 season which was definitely gold glove worthy (+30 runs).

There's nothing close to a perfect fielding metric, but Hunter's zone rating and range factors are 9th and 7th among CFers only. Sizemore is 13th in range factor and 1st in zone rating.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #77
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Yea Texeira should be first priority, and I also think Glavine will sign with the braves which will help, but definetly isnt the answer to the back end of there rotation.

Everyone knows that Texeira wants to play in front of his hometown fans (I wish).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Granderson got snubbed. Grady Sizemore? Meh.

Pudge winning was a joke though. Talk about winning on name alone.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

I saw David Wright's name scroll by on the ticker, and then saw that followed up by the AL Gold Glove winners. This caused me to think that maybe they had announced the NL Silver Slugger awards or something. I love David Wright about as much as one heterosexual guy can love another, but as great as some of the plays are that he makes, in no way is he deserving of a GG.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #80
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I saw David Wright's name scroll by on the ticker, and then saw that followed up by the AL Gold Glove winners. This caused me to think that maybe they had announced the NL Silver Slugger awards or something. I love David Wright about as much as one heterosexual guy can love another, but as great as some of the plays are that he makes, in no way is he deserving of a GG.

I agree 100%. If there is an award for most spectacular plays in a season, he's the man, but no GG, yet. Another yr or so and he'll be right up there with Rolen.

What's this i hear about the GMs voted yes for instant replay?? My computer has a mind of its own right now, so i can't check this out.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #81
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

What's this i hear about the GMs voted yes for instant replay?? My computer has a mind of its own right now, so i can't check this out.

GMs approved instant replay on Homeruns.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #82
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Russell Martin?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #83
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Wright was actually 3rd in the NL in fielding Win Shares behind Ryan Zimmerman and Aramis Ramirez (and just a smidge behind Ramirez).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #84
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

2 interesting Red Sox related tidbits.

A) Schilling turned down an unnamed team who was ready to offer $14 million guaranteed, to take the $8 million guaranteed + up to $5 million in incentives Sox offer. Interesting to see a player leave so much guaranteed money on the table.

B) The Sox are talking about possibly going to a six man rotation next year of Beckett, Dick-K, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester, Buchholz.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #85
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
And you can best believe they did that on purpose. Jeffrey Loria sucks.

The Marlins contacted Boras and are rumored to be very interested and serious about signing A-Rod. Loria seems to think that if they could somehow get A-Rod signed it would show the team is serious about winning and also help get a new stadium deal done.

I have no idea why this guy is still owner of a MLB team....
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #86
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, this is one of the most passive-aggresive bitter columns I've ever seen.

Dan Shaughnessy, the "Curly-Haired Boyfriend" himself, who had led the charge to send Schilling anywhere but Boston for 2008, wrote this column.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...od_all_around/
Old 11-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #87
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh, this is one of the most passive-aggresive bitter columns I've ever seen.

Dan Shaughnessy, the "Curly-Haired Boyfriend" himself, who had led the charge to send Schilling anywhere but Boston for 2008, wrote this column.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...od_all_around/

I don't know how many times I've swore I'd never read another CHB column again, but I keep going back. His columns are so bad they're pure entertainment.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know how many times I've swore I'd never read another CHB column again, but I keep going back. His columns are so bad they're pure entertainment.

It is such a laugh. Before this all happened, there was a link to him on "Globe 10.0" which is a show kinda like Pardon The Interruption about Boston sports on NESN, generally hosted by Bob Ryan, and Shaughnessy was the guest on the show, where he talked about Schilling "begging for a contract" from the Red Sox and said it was "Pathetic"

http://www.boston.com/partners/world...ontinuous=true

Admittedly, when folks think of "Sour Boston fans".. this is Exhibit #1 involved.

Considering this is the guy who nearly ran Theo Epstein out of town by leaking contract details and sniping at him by acting as a paid stooge for Larry Luccino, Shaughnessy is the only Boston writer I think who actively roots against the Sox.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-07-2007 at 11:04 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #89
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I agree, but every time I see Cabrera he appears to have gained ten pounds...what is his deal?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #90
molson
General Manager

The Boston media is brutal to it's local teams and players - I tried to make that point in another thread and was shot down.

I haven't kept up, but Ron Borges was still anti-everything Patriots until at least 2 Super Bowls in, saying they were a fluke team who got lucky. Somebody else (Kevin Mannix?) was absolutely in love with the Buffalo Bills GM, and constantly went on about what a superior organization the Bills were.

And I think CHB has a notch on his belt for every Red Sox player he tries to run out of town. (Clemens, Vaughn, Everett, ect).

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #91
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
The Oakland A's will collect a bunch of utility outfielders and infielders who have a high OBP but can't hit the ball worth shit. And we'll fall short again.

You forgot to mention that everybody will be diagnosed with broken body syndrome.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
I agree, but every time I see Cabrera he appears to have gained ten pounds...what is his deal?

He is definitely getting a gut. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with him being in shape. It is all about his arbitration eligibility. I don't think there is anyway he makes it to spring training.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #93
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Boston media is brutal to it's local teams and players - I tried to make that point in another thread and was shot down.

I haven't kept up, but Ron Borges was still anti-everything Patriots until at least 2 Super Bowls in, saying they were a fluke team who got lucky. Somebody else (Kevin Mannix?) was absolutely in love with the Buffalo Bills GM, and constantly went on about what a superior organization the Bills were.

And I think CHB has a notch on his belt for every Red Sox player he tries to run out of town. (Clemens, Vaughn, Everett, ect).

all hail carl everett
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #94
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I generally go by Fielding Runs Above Average, which has Sizemore at -6 runs, which falls right in line with the average of his last 2 years. Hunter was a +3 runs, which also falls right in line with his career norms except for his '01 season which was definitely gold glove worthy (+30 runs).

There's nothing close to a perfect fielding metric, but Hunter's zone rating and range factors are 9th and 7th among CFers only. Sizemore is 13th in range factor and 1st in zone rating.
Yes but you realize that stats don't always make a player look amazing. Sometimes it's what people see. If you see a bunch of highlights of a guy diving and making catches and what look like amazing plays because the guy doesn't have great range and doesn't get a good jump on the ball, that's going to look a lot better in the voters mind then the guy that just makes play after play without much risk. IMO.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
B) The Sox are talking about possibly going to a six man rotation next year of Beckett, Dick-K, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester, Buchholz.

If that doesn't tell you something about them being too deep and too good then nothing will. "Well, we really don't need more than 5 pitchers in a rotation but we don't need to deal one for a bat because our lineup is already loaded"

SI

Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #96
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If that doesn't tell you something about them being too deep and too good then nothing will. "Well, we really don't need more than 5 pitchers in a rotation but we don't need to deal one for a bat because our lineup is already loaded"

SI

True, but if there was ever a rotation where using 6 guys makes perfect sense, this is it: Schilling's old, Wakefield's breaking down, Dice-K tired at the end of last year and pitched in a 6-man rotation in Japan, and Lester & Buchholz have never pitched a full MLB season. I'd hope they manage to start Beckett more often though.

Last edited by molson : 11-07-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #97
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post

Horizontal Growth Hormone.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
Horizontal Growth Hormone.

Is that what twinkies and ding dongs are made of?

SI

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, but if there was ever a rotation where using 6 guys makes perfect sense, this is it: Schilling's old, Wakefield's breaking down, Dice-K tired at the end of last year and pitched in a 6-man rotation in Japan, and Lester & Buchholz have never pitched a full MLB season. I'd hope they manage to start Beckett more often though.

I agree and TBH I hope they do buck whatever "unwritten rule" it is and go with it. Although I think Dice will be fine without it now that he's had a year to adjust.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From the starting rotations of the rest of the MLB, let me play you the world's smallest violin for those horrible problems

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.