Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #51
timmynausea
College Starter

I can't believe I missed all this Wannstache talk. I think Pitt will give him another year. They are in the process of replacing their Athletic Director, so everything will be up in the air.

The talk I've heard is that they will clean house as far as assistants and bring in people to basically take over the program, making Wannstedt more of a figurehead like Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno. They like him as the face of the program and recruiter, but realize now that he is an incredibly incompetent coach in all other ways. In fact, as bad as his game day coaching and playcalling have been, I think his gravest failure is developing talent. Pitt has had so many top rated recruits waste away while down the road West Virginia is turning 2 and 3 star guys into All-Americans.

Last edited by timmynausea : 10-13-2007 at 01:19 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 AM   #52
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

WOW what a hell of a game tonite! Colt was so damn calm in those last few minutes, I was sitting there on the verge of tears, and their was Colt smiling and just knowing they were gonna pull it off. He sure can control his emotions out their on the field. thats a QB. damn. 4 picks or not, I wouldn't want any other QB in the country.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #53
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats on the win. Looks like y'all still struggle on the mainland though, eh?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #54
JeeberD
General Manager

Go UCF! Beat USF!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A real gem underway in Miami. GT & Miami scoreless midway through the 1st quarter. Bennett & Wright have so far combined to go 3/11 for 27 yds and a pick (Bennett).
Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #56
JeeberD
General Manager

UCF scores a TD to pull within 3 of USF. 10-7 Bulls.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cute play here, cute play there= zero or negative yards

Run plays right up the gut? first downs and TDs

I suspect we are going to see much more cute plays today from Miami.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #58
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh, safety on UCF when the Knights RB slips and falls in the endzone after a handoff from the one...

Old 10-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

That was a bullshit holding call.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #60
DanGarion
Coordinator

They need to stop talking about Mike Cox on ESPN right now...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #61
st.cronin
General Manager

I think Iowa QB Jake Christensen is about to start crying.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #62
miami_fan
Coordinator

Miami scores after a blown call by the refs 14-14.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #63
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Illinois finally within the 10 yard line.

edit: actually the 11

Last edited by mauchow : 10-13-2007 at 01:48 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #64
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Then they throw a pick.. ouch. The Big 10 just took another hit.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #65
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Congrats on the win. Looks like y'all still struggle on the mainland though, eh?

yea still strugglin, but gettin better, haven't lost in 7 straight road games now.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #66
JeeberD
General Manager

Probably just because you haven't had to come to the Sun Bowl in the past three years...

Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #67
JeeberD
General Manager

Another TD for USF, 50-10. With most of the fourth quarter left to go, how long do they keep laying the wood?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #68
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm really proud of how Hawaii played last nite, and thought it showed toughness and resiliency. but after reading a bunch of articles, and peoples thoughts , it seems no better then a loss!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #69
Celeval
Pro Starter

Ball Control Offense ftw.

GT beats Miami 17-14, third straight season - Tech takes control with a FG lead and 5:32 remaining and holds the ball the rest of the quarter, eventually running out the clock on fourth and ten at the Miami 12 yard line.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #70
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

So if Michigan wins the Big Ten and goes to the BCS , will people be all pissy because they lost to App St?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm really proud of how Hawaii played last nite, and thought it showed toughness and resiliency. but after reading a bunch of articles, and peoples thoughts , it seems no better then a loss!

At this point I think Hawaii is playing for personal pride and maybe a chance in one of the other BCS games (not the title game). The national picture at this point I think is done for them and even a non NC BCS bowl may be tough to get into.

That being said - what a great feeling for the players, staff, fans, students, etc if they can go undefeated. Even if you don't get the chance at a title (which you know how I feel about) - it's still a huge accomplishment for any college football team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Good game on the alternate Big Ten Network (considering the teams, I should say close game), Northwestern driving in the last two minutes to try to tie the game up with Minnesota
Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #73
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Northwestern 4th and Goal at the 4, :12 to play
Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #74
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
At this point I think Hawaii is playing for personal pride and maybe a chance in one of the other BCS games (not the title game). The national picture at this point I think is done for them and even a non NC BCS bowl may be tough to get into.

That being said - what a great feeling for the players, staff, fans, students, etc if they can go undefeated. Even if you don't get the chance at a title (which you know how I feel about) - it's still a huge accomplishment for any college football team.

I agree about the NC, but its funny cause I never heard any of that talk at any time. I knew at the beginning of the season we had no shot at the NC, but a pretty ok shot at a BCS bowl.

This team has shown twice now on the road that they BELIEVE in each and every player, and will never give up, even against horrible opponents ( thats the media talking) I have mad respect for what San Jose ST and La Tech did, and I don't think they're bad teams. It seems that this Hawaii team really sees the big picture, and just refuses to lose. I hope they just take it one game at a time, the next 5 games are the toughest we will probably play all season, and the chance at a WAC title and possibly an undefeated season for Hawaii could quite possibly be a once in a life time thing for us as a State and the University.

I wonder how far we are going to drop in the polls. I think probably around 20th. but I guess that still depends on what happens today somewhat.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #75
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It wasn't much better than a loss. They can't afford to barely beat 3-4 teams like San Jose State.

Edit to clarify: That is if they want to get into a BCS Bowl.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-13-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #76
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Purdue's time with the big boys is over, as they are getting completely demolished by Michigan
Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #77
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

I wonder how far we are going to drop in the polls. I think probably around 20th. but I guess that still depends on what happens today somewhat.

Which is a bunch of crap when BCS teams move up every week even when they struggle against bad teams. Just another instance of The Man giving the shaft to the little guy...

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-13-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Northwestern scores, XP away from sending it to OT.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #79
JeeberD
General Manager

Good game about to start on CSTV...Rice at Houston. A pretty big rivalry between the two schools from the same city, and Rice is better than their record indicates and Houston has a very solid offense.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #80
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It wasn't much better than a loss. They can't afford to barely beat 3-4 teams like San Jose State.

Yea I agree, 7-0 doesn't mean anything unless we blow out the teams we should blow out. Maybe thats what June meant when he said those comments post game.

Everyone knows we are gonna drop in the polls. it sucks lol.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #81
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Last year's Colt McCoy finally has shown up this season. He has made some phenomenal plays today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #82
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Boise St. struggled a couple times last year, but the quality of those opponents was better I guess.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC recovers a fumble at midfield and the Mark Sanchez era begins.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #84
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So, does Bill Callahan survive past this season?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #85
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Am I missing some sort of feud between South Florida and Central Florida? Is there a reason the Bulls passed for their last 2 TD's in the 4th Q of an eventual 64-12 rout?
Old 10-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #86
JeeberD
General Manager

Houston and Rice all tied up at 14 halfway through the first...

Old 10-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #87
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Am I missing some sort of feud between South Florida and Central Florida? Is there a reason the Bulls passed for their last 2 TD's in the 4th Q of an eventual 64-12 rout?

I'm not sure how deep it goes or what the root of the dislike is exactly, but I know that USF is one of the No votes as far as UCF ever joining the Big East.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #88
JeeberD
General Manager

Kentucky up early 7-0 on LSU

Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #89
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Boise State needed a last-second field goal to win at SJSU last year.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #90
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

I was gonna point this out, but whats the point anyway? all that would be said back was SJSU was 9-3 last year, its kinda moot.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #91
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

that and the fact that that was SJSU's only loss at home in their like previous 10 games before last nite.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #92
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
San Jose State was pretty good last year. And Hawaii has now had 2 very close calls (Louisiana Tech, San Jose State) against teams that, so far this year, aren't very good at all.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #93
JeeberD
General Manager

lol...Houston WR Donnie Avery has three receptions for 208 yards and 2 TDs early in the second quarter.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #94
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
San Jose State was pretty good last year. And Hawaii has now had 2 very close calls (Louisiana Tech, San Jose State) against teams that, so far this year, aren't very good at all.

BAM, there it is. lol
Old 10-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #95
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

WTF happened to Nebraska????
Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
lol...Houston WR Donnie Avery has three receptions for 208 yards and 2 TDs early in the second quarter.

And UH QB Blake Joseph is 6/6 for 244 yards and three TDs...

Old 10-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #97
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I did not get to watch much of the game, but checked the box score, and 2 different QBs threw those TDs. It looks like Grothe did not play at all in the 4th quarter? So maybe this is just giving the backups some experience. It looks like they had 2nd and 3rd stringers in there for most of the 4th quarter. So rather than do the sit on it thing, Leavitt pulled his starters and gave everyone else a shot to play. It doesn't look like he was pushing to run up the score, UCF just couldn't stop anyone at all.

Looking forward to the game at Rutgers next week. Fortunately we have Cincinatti and Louisville at home, but that will be a huge road test.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #98
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
BAM, there it is. lol
Am I wrong? Hawaii doesn't have a lot of opportunities to impress the country given their schedule - right or wrong, like it or not, the WAC is not highly respected as a conference, and Hawaii has a hard time getting BCS schools to play games in the islands. When you are a team that is looked at somewhat skeptically, playing in what is perceived as a weak conference, you can't afford to have 2 extremely close calls to bad teams if you want to get into a BCS bowl game.

Fortunately for Hawaii, Boise State seems to have recovered from their loss to Washington and could well be 10-1 heading into their game with the Warriors. Fresno State also has a chance to be 6-3 or 7-2 (if they upset Boise) heading into their game with Hawaii, and if things go right for Washington they could be 6-6 and playing for a bowl when they play at Hawaii.

So there will be opportunities to get more poll respect, but you have to admit that the close calls they've had so far are understandable reasons for outsiders to view Hawaii with skepticism.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #99
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I did not get to watch much of the game, but checked the box score, and 2 different QBs threw those TDs. It looks like Grothe did not play at all in the 4th quarter? So maybe this is just giving the backups some experience. It looks like they had 2nd and 3rd stringers in there for most of the 4th quarter. So rather than do the sit on it thing, Leavitt pulled his starters and gave everyone else a shot to play. It doesn't look like he was pushing to run up the score, UCF just couldn't stop anyone at all.
Well, I'll admit that maybe things are different in the South and perhaps times have changed. I just remember that in the '80's (back when the Huskies were good) Don James would put in his backup QB's in blowouts but they would almost never pass the ball. Run the ball, run out the clock, don't pile on.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #100
st.cronin
General Manager

Geez, Wisconsin getting their teeth kicked in against PSU.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote