Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Tiger couldn't hit a putt yesterday. Meanwhile, Yang kept giving him openings down the stretch. Great final day, even if it was kind of a lousy final hole.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #52
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Tiger couldn't hit a putt yesterday. Meanwhile, Yang kept giving him openings down the stretch. Great final day, even if it was kind of a lousy final hole.

Lousy final hole?

Yang's second shot on the final hole might have been one of the greatest pressure shots I have ever seen.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #53
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I had to stop watching (had a tee time of my own) after Tiger reached that monster par 5, number 11 I think, in two and figured he had just put the pedal to the metal and the tourney was his.

Whoops.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #54
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Giving this thread new life rather starting a Tiger Woods is great thread ...

Tiger played 17 times on the PGA Tour this year and won six times. That's winning 35 percent of the time compared to his career average of 28 percent.

Since the first weekend of August he has played seven times with three wins, three seconds and an 11th. Had he only played the last two months, he would have finished second on the money list by about $100k.

We know the rest of the story. Barring an injury he should pass Jack Nicklaus for wins next year and Sam Snead in 2011. It took Jack 25 years and Snead 30 to win as many tournaments as Tiger will win in 16.

I know some think Tiger is "slipping" because he isn't winning 50% of the time and 3 of 4 majors a year like he did when he was on a whole other planet. I'm in the camp that believes the reason Tiger doesn't dominate the way he did for a few years ago is that equipment, the courses and especially the players have stepped up to challenge him.

But how amazing is this guy? I almost feel sorry for everybody else. I'm sure $10 million would set Steve Stricker for life and it's nothing more than scoreboard material for Tiger. But it's amazing what these guy continues to do.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, Tiger is pretty astounding and the way he goes about his business is pretty impressive. I was trying to figure out if there was a better way to do the FedEx Cup, but I'm not sure there is. I mean, the way they changed it this season to reset the points for the playoffs at the Tour Championship to ensure that in theory, any guy in that final event could win the whole prize is probably as good an idea as any and having Phil and Tiger winning trophies on Sunday has to get Tim Finchem pretty excited.

But beyond it being something of a storybook ending, I think it just rewards the guys who produce throughout the year and that's what playoffs ought to is recognize the talent in the league and this probably does that.

I was thinking there would be a more logical way of listing the results, so people would know going in what shot people had to win the thing, but I guess you don't want to upset the integrity of an event too much by making the FedEx Cup sideshow more important than the tourney itself.

So I think the way they do it now is an inelegant solution to something grafted onto a sport that it's not a natural fit for to begin with.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Alexis Thompson, a 14-year old amateur from Florida, is 2nd (and was the leader in the clubhouse after his round) at the Navistar LPGA classic.

14-year-old Alexis Thompson shot off lead at Navistar LPGA Classic - ESPN

The link has an interview with her. Sounds like a good kid, just having fun out there. It'd be a hoot if she could win the thing, just for the ink it'd give the LPGA, but the whole "Wie comparison" stuff would probably be annoying.

Speaking of, Michelle Wie is a stroke behind her in third after the 1st round.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #57
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Alexis Thompson, a 14-year old amateur from Florida, is 2nd (and was the leader in the clubhouse after his round) at the Navistar LPGA classic.

14-year-old Alexis Thompson shot off lead at Navistar LPGA Classic - ESPN

The link has an interview with her. Sounds like a good kid, just having fun out there. It'd be a hoot if she could win the thing, just for the ink it'd give the LPGA, but the whole "Wie comparison" stuff would probably be annoying.

Speaking of, Michelle Wie is a stroke behind her in third after the 1st round.

Double Ping: WrongWay
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

14-year-old Alexis Thompson tied for LPGA Tour lead - ESPN

Tied for the lead with two others after the 2nd round.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #59
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
14-year-old Alexis Thompson tied for LPGA Tour lead - ESPN

Tied for the lead with two others after the 2nd round.

And her brother is in a tie for second on the PGA Tour this weekend.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
And her brother is in a tie for second on the PGA Tour this weekend.

Good weekend for that family, huh? He ends the day in 3rd, 2 shots off the lead (4 guys in front of him)

Alexis Thompson shot a +2 on the day and is now tied for 13th, eight shots off the lead heading into the final round tomorrow.

Still, nice weekend there and I bet big brother decided now was as good a time as any to capture those headlines with lil' sis' having a go for "best golfer in the family" honours. Though he didn't seem to care when they asked him about it yesterday:

Quote:
Q. 68, 67 is really good. Are you worried at all that you're going to get upstaged by your little sister?

NICHOLAS THOMPSON: I hope I am. It's that simple. Whatever I do, I hope my brother and sister always trump me and they do better. I have no problem taking the back seat to both of them.

If he can stay in the Top 5 or even the Top 10, I imagine it'd keep him his TOUR card for next year.

Good story.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Michael Jordan is one of Fred Couples assistant captains for the Presidents Cup this week. They did an exclusive Q&A with him and it's a really fun glimpse of things related to him, golf, his relationship with Tiger Woods and his role this week.

hxxp://www.pgatour.com/2009/tournaments/presidentscup/10/06/jordan_qanda/index.html

Last edited by Ryan S : 10-09-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Page was not loading properly in IE8 because of the link
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #62
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice interview with Jordan.

They should schedule this competition the week before the baseball playoffs start, I would be a lot more likely to tune in otherwise. It's already hard enough competing with the NFL and college football.

I always thought it might be interesting if the International team played against Europe at some point, just so each side got two such competitions. It might not be as popular with no USA to play against but with England and Australia being big rivals in rugby and cricket I think there would be some interest in those parts of the world, plus the fact that there would be a lot of talent out there even without the US team. Maybe play it in January or February in some tropical area so it's not too close to the Ryder and Presidents Cups.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Ashes (England v. Australia) as a golf tournament would be pretty fucking awesome.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #64
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Golf and rugby sevens will be in the 2016 Olympics.

Quote:
Rugby was overwhelmingly accepted by the IOC members who voted 81-8 in its favour. Golf also achieved the necessary majority, by a margin of 63-27.

Good news for golf fans, it's a no-brainer for me, the sport is popular and played on every continent.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #65
Ryan S
Quarterback

The 2016 Olympics is going to seriously mess with the schedule. The PGA Championship will need to move to allow the Olympic tournament to take place, and if the PGA is moved to later in the season, it will push back the Fed Ex Cup (if it is still around) and the Ryder Cup.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Golf is indeed a no-brainer. I thought it was good, even if I'm annoyed they dumped baseball. I'm not sure I believe Rugby is more popular around the world than baseball, but Rugby might be the closest football ever gets to the Olympics, so...it's all good I guess.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
The 2016 Olympics is going to seriously mess with the schedule. The PGA Championship will need to move to allow the Olympic tournament to take place, and if the PGA is moved to later in the season, it will push back the Fed Ex Cup (if it is still around) and the Ryder Cup.

I'm sure they'll find a way to adjust it. I mean, it's a pretty historic thing.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #68
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anthony Kim defeats Robert Allenby at World Match Play Championship - ESPN

Anthony Kim takes Robert Allenby out to the woodshed at the World Match Play.

Allenby lost to Kim during the Presidents Cup and had this to say about it at the time:

Quote:
"Maybe we should all go out 'til 4 a.m. and show up and shoot 6 under," Allenby said.

Kim actually shot 2 under, against Allenby's five bogeys and only two birdies.

"He's the current John Daly," Allenby said, "He is the loosest cannon on that team."

Kim said he went to his room soon after the team's dinner Saturday night.

"I hope that was a joke," he said of Allenby's comments.

"I was in tip-top shape."

Kim's attitude had been something of an issue for the American team.

Earlier in the week, U.S. captain Fred Couples had words with Kim about his behavior. Couples said Sunday that he'd been "tough" with Kim.

"Not just me, everyone in the team was," Couples said, without identifying Kim's indiscretions.

Couples did say, however, that Kim was the least frequent visitor to the American team room, preferring to spend time with friends.

"You've got to understand, he's 24 years old," Couples said. "He's younger than a lot of the guys. He's not going to want to hang out with the wives or with Kenny Perry and I."

Couples said he thought Kim's attitude improved throughout the week, so much so that he awarded Kim one of only four Michael Jordan limited-edition Chicago Bulls jerseys given to the Americans' best. The other three went to Tiger Woods, Steve Stricker and Phil Mickelson.

Allenby apparently was pissed off during the match play loss yesterday, because he felt Kim didn't concede any putts.

Quote:
"I was definitely surprised at not being given a few putts out there," Allenby told reporters after the opening 18 holes finished all square between them.

"I gave him a couple of four-footers. Maybe I'll do the same to him this afternoon."

In matchplay, opponents normally give putts inside three feet but Kim made Allenby putt out all morning.

Kim said: "I don't think I made him putt any short putts, maybe a two and a half footer. But it had a lot of break. It's matchplay."

Good for Kim to get it done on the course and to leave the mouthing out to the other folks.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Michelle Wie, age 20, wins the Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Mexico City today shooting a -13, two shots over Paula Creamer and 3 shots over a threesome that includes Morgan Pressel.

It's her first career LPGA tour victory, in this her first season as a card-carrying tour member.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

She's only the 5th American woman to win on the LPGA tour this year.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh and Tiger Woods made good on his $3 million appearance fee he got for playing the Australian Masters, winning the tournament after teasing the field on Saturday before pulling away Sunday to win his first (And likely only?) gold jacket at the Aussie Masters. The state paid half of the appearance fee and there was some controversy about that, but their argument all along was that him showing up would result in $20 million in revenue.

Everyone thinks those numbers are dubious, but still say him being there gave the tournament a real "major" feel to it.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #72
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Don't look now, but David Duval is in 2nd with a chance on 18 to tie for the lead.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #73
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, at Pebble no less
Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #74
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ahh damn, He just missed an AMAZING shot on approach, 1 more foot it woulda been golden.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #75
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dustin Johnson made a bogey and Duval is @ -15 but tied for the lead. Johnson or Holmes still have a chance to win out right and not go to a playoff but man it sure would be nice to see Duval get a win here!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Dustin Johnson made a bogey and Duval is @ -15 but tied for the lead. Johnson or Holmes still have a chance to win out right and not go to a playoff but man it sure would be nice to see Duval get a win here!

Glad to see Duval doing well. Also good to see he still has a Nike deal (nominal or not) over all of these years.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #77
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was really pulling for Duval today. I know he's in The Masters and the US Open but it would've been nice for him to get the win and his card for the year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #78
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

And Dustin Johnson birdies 18 to win out right, and back to back @ Pebble. See, golf can still be awesome without Tiger!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #79
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey k0ruptr, I'm headed to Oahu in May and want to play golf one day. What are some good courses? I would love to play one with a view of the ocean.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #80
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

One of the nicer ones off the beaten path is the Makaha Resort and Golf club.

But , I think the nicest one imo is Ko Olina . Google it and check it out, you may have even heard of it. but both would have a nice ocean view. Makaha from up the hill and Ko Olina even has a couple holes on the ocean.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #81
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, if some how you can hop over to the Big Island one day ( i know probably not) but if you somehow did DEFINITELY Golf at Mauna Lani, either course. its one of the most beautiful , underrated, unknown golf courses in the US.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #82
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #83
Thomkal
Head Coach

Big fan of local boy Dustin Johnson, so thrilled to see him pull the win out of what was a pretty miserable round, but at least he didn't have one of the three '9" on that one hole-and this wasn't even the US Open setup. It's going to be pretty scary come June.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That hole was brutal.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger Woods has a solid finish at the Barclays Championship in New Jersey today to finish in the Top 100 and advance to the next round of the (somewhat illogical) PGA Tour FedEx Cup Playoffs. Matt Kuchar notched his 3rd career victory today in a playoff, a good win for a guy who had a great amateur career.

20-year old Michelle Wie won the Canadian Open today for her 2nd career victory today, too. She turns 21 in October and is concurrently attending Stanford while playing on the LPGA Tour.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-29-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #86
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Proud of Michelle , she went wire to wire and did excellent.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #87
thealmighty
Pro Starter

How did Austin12 miss this thread?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #88
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
How did Austin12 miss this thread?

Because he was too busy starting 57 of his own.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Because he was too busy starting 57 of his own.

He's just trying to help the amateur golfers with tips and wholesale prices.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2011 Masters

Rory McIlroy still leads through 14 holes on Day 3 at -10, getting a bit closer to the field rather than running away with it. A quarter of four including K.J. Choi and Jason Day sit at -8 and meanwhile Tiger Woods is still in the hunt but as usual shoots himself in the foot with streaking putting after playing quite well yesterday.

He's down four at six under and just blew a chance at eagle and birdie on 15. I don't like his chances.

McIlroy could win this thing and lead wire to wire, but I feel like one of the guys in back will end up taking it out. I think Day could do it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-09-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #91
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Tiger Woods is still in the hunt but as usual shoots himself in the foot with streaking putting after playing quite well yesterday.

It has been a long time since Tiger strung together 4 good rounds. Even if he goes low on Sunday he still has to be considered an outsider.

I think McIlroy will win (the first of many majors?) but I would keep my eye on Charl Schwartzel.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It has been a long time since Tiger strung together 4 good rounds. Even if he goes low on Sunday he still has to be considered an outsider.

I think McIlroy will win (the first of many majors?) but I would keep my eye on Charl Schwartzel.

Rory's been picking up steam and I think he's locked in and no one seems to be really going after him. And he's looking good, so it'd be good to see him get his first one (and yes, I agree the first of many...no doubt.)

The thing with Woods is his lack of consistency, but how cerebral he seems to be. That birdie miss on 15, you could see from his body language that he was going to blow the shot and it's one he usually makes. I haven't really watched him a lot during this slump, but catching his round today it's clear how much he's fallen off even from a few days ago. He probably needs a year off and a good shrink.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-09-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #93
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Don't count out Angel Cabrera...all that guy does is win Majors.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #94
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Shaky start for Rory. Schwartzel made an insane Eagle shot on a par 4 and is now tied for the lead. Tiger with 3 birdies and a bogey is now 4 shots back.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #95
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
I haven't really watched him a lot during this slump, but catching his round today it's clear how much he's fallen off even from a few days ago. He probably needs a year off and a good shrink.

There is a fair chance that he will never be the same player again.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #96
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Tiger is back in the mix after that big Eagle. Will Rory feel the pressure?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #97
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

An interesting finish I hope. Just want to see some good golf.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #98
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bogey for McIlroy and now we have a three-way tie for first. Wow.

I had a strong feeling last night McIlroy would come back to the field. I just didn't think Tiger would be the one to chase him on Sunday.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #99
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wow, what a great putt by Tiger to save par on the 9th and preserve his share of the lead.

Rory is not playing well at all right now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #100
cmp
Pro Rookie

All of a sudden Tiger can putt.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote