Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #51
digamma
Torchbearer

1.8 Speed--Secretariat down the stretch at the 1973 Belmont Stakes.

Secretariat blew away the field and won the Belmont by 31 lengths to sew up the 1973 triple crown. His time of 2:24 over the 1.5 mile course was a new Belmont record and would have beaten the horse to hold the previous Belmont record by better than 13 lengths.

Last edited by digamma : 05-15-2007 at 03:45 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #52
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
No offense to tanglewood, but I think he could have gotten that pick in round 10.

On a worldwide scale, I guarantee that this is far more renowned that anything mentioned in the thread so far...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #53
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
On a worldwide scale, I guarantee that this is far more renowned that anything mentioned in the thread so far...

But you must remember...very few of the people voting in this thread will be from the "worldwide scale."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #54
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But you must remember...very few of the people voting in this thread will be from the "worldwide scale."

Yeah, that was my point. I just think he could have gotten much more value picking it in a later round.

By the way, I'm not saying it's bad or something. I don't want to be a critic over every pick I disagree with. I just thought his pick was odd in the context of this kind of draft and the draft's audience.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #55
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm not a big fan of making picks from outside of a narrow US-based point of view if you want to win this draft, but I don't follow soccer and I still know "Hand of God" is one of the most controversial sports moments of all time. I like the pick.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #56
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm not a big fan of making picks from outside of a narrow US-based point of view if you want to win this draft, but I don't follow soccer and I still know "Hand of God" is one of the most controversial sports moments of all time. I like the pick.

Yeah, but you're Canadian. You're an expert on sports no one cares about.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #57
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Since Sean took my pick, and I might add told me one time a few years ago that the Miracle on Ice was no big deal to Canadians, I'll let it slide this time. My pick..

March 28, 1992. Philadelphia Spectrum, NCAA East Regional Finals. Duke vs. Kentucky. Christian Laettner played the perfect game. He was 10 for 10 from the field and 10 for 10 from the free throw line. With 2.1 seconds left Laettner receives a full court pass from Grant Hill fakes one way, does a turn a round jumper the other way. Swish. Good. Duke goes on to win that game and eventually the national championship that year. I was so excited after that shot I jumped on my bed and fell right through it. I also put a hole in the roof.

1.9 The Clutch Shot by Christian Laettner to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-15-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #58
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Since Sean took my pick, and I might add told me one time a few years ago that the Miracle on Ice was no big deal to Canadians, I'll let it slide this time. My pick..

March 28, 1992. Philadelphia Spectrum, NCAA East Regional Finals. Duke vs. Kentucky. Christian Laettner played the perfect game. He was 10 for 10 from the field and 10 for 10 from the free throw line. With 2.1 seconds left Laettner receives a full court pass from Thomas Hill fakes one way, does a turn a round jumper the other way. Swish. Good. Duke goes on to win that game and eventually the national championship that year. I was so excited after that shot I jumped on my bed and fell right through it. I also put a hole in the roof.

1.9 The Clutch Shot by Christian Laettner to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992.

dude

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #59
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What

Sorry had to write up quick before leaving and Sean took mine i had all set.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #60
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'll make the picks and then edit in the writeup so we can keep this moving.

1.10 - (Record-breaking) Hank Aaron hits Home Run # 715 to break Babe Ruth's all time home run record.

On April 8, 1974 Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run Hank Aaron off Dodgers pitcher Al Downing. In doing so, he broke one of the most storied records in sports history. Not only that, but he did it with class, dealing with racism and death threats along the way.

2.1 - (Controversy) USSR defeats USA for the Olympic Gold Medal in Basketball after officials give them three chances to inbound the ball at the end of the game.

From 1936 through 1968 the United States had won the men's basketball gold medal at every olympics. In 1972, they faced the Soviet Union in a closely fought contest. With three seconds left, Doug Collins hit two free throws to put the USA up 51-50. The USSR inbounded the ball once but the referee stopped play because they had called timeout. The USSR inbounded again and the pass was stolen, but the game wasn't over yet. TheFIBA chief ordered play to be restarted with three seconds on the clock. On this final attempt the USSR found a man underneath the basket for a layup and a 51-50 victory. The USA players still won't accept their silver medals today.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-15-2007 at 05:42 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #61
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

First round summary:
1.1 - "The Catch" - Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown to win the NFC Championship for San Francisco- Clutch
1.2 - Kirk Gibson walk-off homer Game 1 WS win in 1988- Drama
1.3 - The final out of game 7 of the 2004 ALCS - Comeback
1.4 - James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 - Upset
1.5 - Scott Norwood's missed FG at the end of the 1991 Super Bowl - Choke
1.6 - Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, Argentina vs England 1986 World Cup Quarter-Final - Controversy
1.7 - "Do you believe in Miracles?", the final moments of the US/USSR 1980 Olympic hockey game - Upset
1.8 - Secretariat down the stretch at the 1973 Belmont Stakes - Speed
1.9 - Christian Laettner's shot to beat Kentucky with 2.1 seconds to go in the NCAA Regional finals in 1992 - Clutch
1.10 - Hank Aaron hits Home Run # 715 to break Babe Ruth's all time home run record - Record-breaking

This would be a good time to remind people with picks at the 2, 3, 8 and 9 spots to stick around after a pick since it may swing back to you quickly.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-15-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #62
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Ooh - I was hoping the Olympic team basketball would last. Nice pick Larry!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #63
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In the AFC divisional playoff game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Oakland Raiders at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on December 23, 1972 one of the most controversial plays in NFL history occurred. The critical question was: off whom did the ball bounce in that Fuqua/Tatum collision? If it bounced off Fuqua, and then Harris was the next to touch the ball, the reception was illegal since two offensive players could not touch a pass in succession (a rule that was changed in 1978); the Raiders would gain possession (on fourth down) and a sure win. If the ball bounced off Tatum, or if it bounced off Fuqua and then Tatum, the reception was legal, as a defensive player was the last to touch the ball. Another widely held point of contention to the play was whether or not the ball had hit the ground before Harris snatched it and ran with it. The press-box view doesn't show Harris catching the ball at all - just sprinting downfield with it - and the more famous end-zone view doesn't show the ball. The play was upheld and the Steelers won the game and the Super Bowl that year.

2.2 Immaculate Reception December 23, 1972 Pittsburgh Steelers vs Oakland Raiders - Controversy
Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #64
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

digamma was here in the thread when bsak posted... I'll give him another hour or so and then pick for him from his list.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #65
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
What

Sorry had to write up quick before leaving and Sean took mine i had all set.

You got the assist man wrong.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

I would have absolutely taken the Olympic Basketball team with 2.10, I like that pick a ton.

The other two picks I initially sent to Maple Leafs(aside from The Catch) are still available, there is a such a huge wide range of choices available here its amazing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #67
digamma
Torchbearer

Sorry for the delay. Meeting ran much longer than anticipated.

2.3 Roger Bannister breaks the tape at the Iffley Road track to break the four minute mile. Record Breaker

Bannister's record breaking run ended a years long struggle to break the four minute mile. Three men were gunning to be the first to do it, but Bannister did it first. Weeks later Aussie John Landee broke Bannister's record, but he is largely forgotten today--it is Bannister's record breaking run that everyone views as the break through.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great choice, digamma. I was actually thinking of using Bannister for speed.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #69
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Ok I'm around now, sorry for not being in earlier.

Yeah some (many) of my picks are not going to be from a NA standpoint, but then I don't really care and am certainly not expecting to win anyway. In fact it'd be quite fun for me if I could come up with a 10 picks from which 6 or 7 are just completely unkown to people on this board.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #70
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Ok I'm around now, sorry for not being in earlier.

Yeah some (many) of my picks are not going to be from a NA standpoint, but then I don't really care and am certainly not expecting to win anyway. In fact it'd be quite fun for me if I could come up with a 10 picks from which 6 or 7 are just completely unkown to people on this board.

That strat might actually win you points, not only from the non-North American members (of which you'll probably have a monolply on ), but from people who will appriciate taking chances and making bold and/or creative picks.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #71
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That strat might actually win you points, not only from the non-North American members (of which you'll probably have a monolply on ), but from people who will appriciate taking chances and making bold and/or creative picks.

Hmmm....maybe my earlier curling joke isn't such a bad idea......
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #72
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My pick is a "comeback" from 1982. John Elway leads the Stanford Cardinals on a last-minute scoring drive, culminating in a field goal with five seconds left to take the lead in their biggest game of the year.

Nobody remembers that field goal, however, because then... this happened:

2.4 "The Play" - Cal returns a last second kickoff through the Stanford defense and their band - Comeback
Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #73
sabotai
General Manager

I was thinking of taking "The Play" with my first round pick. Nice selection.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

Great pick. That could've fit into a few categories too (even controversy...was that last lateral a forward pass? ).
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #75
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Great pick. That could've fit into a few categories too (even controversy...was that last lateral a forward pass?).
Yeah, it definitely could have fit in other spots. I actually had another play I was leaning towards taking (and still will if it somehow lasts another round), but couldn't find a category that it fit really well in. No matter where I slotted it, I thought some voters would object. I'll discuss more when the play is drafted.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #76
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

The 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie was an exciting tournament from start to bizzare finish. Jean Van de Velde, a rank outsider before the tournament started, played excellent golf all four days, vying to become the first Frenchman to win a golf major since forever. He came to the 18th hole of the final round in the final paring leading by three clear shots. He could double bogey and still take the Claret Jug. What followed was a litany of errors unlike anything I have ever seen.

First Shot: You only need a double bogey on a middle length par-4 to take the title. So you get out your 2-Iron and hit is nice and easy down the fairway for a nice lie right? Van de Velde decided to whip out the driver and thwack it. Of course he pulled it to the right and ended up in thick, nasty rough. But don't worry, it's still salvagable.

Second Stroke: So you are in a rather nasty spot off the fairway still a way from the green. Don't worry a bogey will still win you the tournament, heck even a 6, so just knock it out of the rough up the fairway and you could still get on the green and three-put for victory. However, VdV looks at his lie and convinces himself that it isn't all that awful a lie really when you think about it and decides to whip out a long iron and go for the green. The shot is quite simply atrocious. He pulls it so far from the green he actually hits it into the grandstand, from whence it ricochets another 50 yards off course into even thicker, knee deep rough. Oops.

Third Stroke: Don't worry, no need to panic. Sure this is bad but still, just get it on on even near the green and it'll be okay. However due to the horrible spot he was in his backswing is caught in the grass and he chops the ball well wide of the green into Barry Burn. Time to get your feet wet Jean...

Fourth Stroke: Firstly, Jean tries to convince himself that he can actually play his ball out of the Burn. So the utterly bizzare incident of millions of tv viewers worldwide watching him taking off his shoes and socks, rolling his trousers up to his knee and wading around in the small stream debating whether to try and wrest his ball which is dug halway in mud for a full 5 minutes or so before his caddy gets through to his common sense. In the end he takes a drop short of the Burn, a relatively comfortable pitch from the green.

Fifth Stroke: Don't worry Jean, it's only a 40-50 yard pitch, then hole an 8 footer or so for the trophy. You've already birded this hole twice in the last three days, how hard can it be? Very hard apparently as Van de Velde pulls it straight into a greenside bunker.

Sixth Stroke: Last chance to win the championship, he finally makes a nice shot, but not nice enough. Drops the ball a nervous but very makeable 6 fett from the hole.

Seventh Stroke: And then holes it for a triple-bogey to take it to a playoff.

Needless to say, Van de Velde was in no fit mental state for the playoff which started immediately afterward against Paul Lawrie and Justin Leonard. He was never in it as Lawrie the Scot won to the delight of the home crowd. Van de Velde took many years to recover as a player and won his first title since Carnoustie just last year on the European tour.

He participated in an informercial for a golf manufacturer several years later to see if he could make six on Carnoustie's 18th using only a putter.

He did.

2.5 Jean Van de Velde's second shot on the last hole of the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie - Choke
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

Great pick, and an even better write-up.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #78
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wow nice choice tanglewood. That was on my list for chokers.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #79
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

2.6 - Upset - Clay Beats Liston. For my generation, Mohammad Ali is the "guy in the wheelchair who once skipped out on Vietnam" - who "used to be the greatest." This is the fight that started the legend - on Feb 25, 1964, when Cassius Clay (at 8-1 odds) took on the champ, and gave him the beating of a lifetime - to the point where the world champion would not get up off his chair. It was old and conservative vs. young and reactionary - and the young one - the perfect fight for the 60's, as it were. It was the launchpad of an era - the age of Ali, who may be the greatest boxer that ever lived.

Edit: I'm not having a good day.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-15-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #80
sabotai
General Manager

Lipton?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #81
Logan
Head Coach

2 picks, 2 edits

Hell of a tea-maker though.

Last edited by Logan : 05-15-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #82
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Lipton?

What a lemon of a post. This one is easy to tea up.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #83
sabotai
General Manager

2.7 Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (Choke)

With the game tied in the bottom of the 10th, Mookie Wilson hits a ground ball right to Bill Buckner, the 1st baseman. If he picks up the ball and touches 1st base, the inning will be over and they'll go to the 11th. But he misses, the ball rolls under his glove and into right field, allowing the winning run to score. The Mets would then go on to win Game 7.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-15-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #84
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
2.6 Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (Choke)

With the game tied in the bottom of the 10th, Mookie Wilson hits a ground ball right to Bill Buckner, the 1st baseman. If he picks up the ball and touches 1st base, the inning will be over and they'll go to the 11th. But he misses, the ball rolls under his glove and into right field, allowing the winning run to score. The Mets would then go on to win Game 7.

Blown-up to reflect the opinion that Mookie would have beat that shit out anyway.

edit: this has no impact on the greatness of the moment.

Last edited by Logan : 05-15-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #85
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is an awesome idea. Maple Leafs in my FOFC hero for the day.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #86
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
2.6 Bill Buckner's error costs the Red Sox Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (Choke)

This is actually 2.7. good pick.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

am I up?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK

there have been only 17 perfect games in the HISTORY of baseball. For someone to do it on the biggest stage is astounding. It is one of a few things in all of sports that has only been done once in history.

2.8- Drama- Don Larsen perfect world series game 5 1956 final out
Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This is an awesome idea. Maple Leafs in my FOFC hero for the day.

Agreed. I didn't think this game would work, due to some of the categories seeming a bit weird...but once again it's been proven that people on here are much more intelligent than myself.

I really think it's more fun to observe than participate in something like this.

Please keep the descriptions coming. And more YouTube links would be cool too.

edit: Is there a good video somewhere of the Van De Velde choke? The only one I found on YouTube/Google was narrated in Japanese and edited oddly. Maybe the original broadcast?

Last edited by Logan : 05-15-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #90
Schmidty
Coordinator

2.9 Cal Ripken breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak (Record-breaking)

Everyone considers Hank Aaron's HR record to be the biggest record in sports, but Gehrig's record was the most "unbreakable", and in my opinion, the most admirable.

To me, a record like this is much more difficult and deserving of respect than a the HR record. But that's just me (and the fact that Barry will break the record, rendering it useless).

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-15-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Edited to bold pick
Old 05-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #91
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
2.6 - Upset - Clay Beats Liston
Nice pick. But what's the specific moment you're taking? Liston not answering the bell?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #92
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
2.9 Cal Ripken breaks Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak (Record-breaking)
Another good pick, but what's the moment? Him taking the field, first at-bat, the end of the fifth inning (when the game became official), etc?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #93
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Another good pick, but what's the moment? Him taking the field, first at-bat, the end of the fifth inning (when the game became official), etc?

I guess I was thinking of the moment where he walked around the field shaking hands and stuff. Whenever that was.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #94
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

This is the play I was referring to above. I'm actually surprised it didn't go in round one. However, I had trouble pickinga category. I think "choke" is probably the best one, but in the past few years the whole "Bucker got a raw deal" argument has gained a lot of steam. It would have been a hit anyways, he shouldn't have been out there with his bad back, why don't the pitchers get more of the blame, etc.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #95
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The pitchers should get more blame. I don't understand why the last guy to screw up gets the blame. The Red Sox were one strike away from the title against two different hitters. They had a two run lead. The win had already been blown before the ball started trickling Buckner's way.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #96
Radii
Head Coach

2.10 - Music City Miracle - Incredible Kickoff Return by Tennessee to win the Wild Card playoff game vs Buffalo on Jan 8th, 2000(Drama)

I'm not sure much of a description is needed here. One of the most exciting finishes to a football game ever, another heartbreak for Buffalo, and a perfectly executed trick play at just the right moment, up there with the catch, immaculate reception and a few others as some of the most memorable plays in NFL history.

3.1 - Mark McGwire's 62nd Home Run in 1998(record breaking)

If not for steroids, I would have taken this with 1.1, I hope its not too big a risk pick now but I think its still worthy given what the moment was at the time. Home Run records are the greatest records in all of sport, and the assault on Roger Maris' 61 home run single season record by Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire was one of the most exciting things to happen to baseball in a long time. It helped to resurrect the game after the strike a few years before. The Maris family in attendance, St Louis vs Chicago, bitter division rivals plus Sosa/McGwire playing against each other, it was a hell of a moment.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #97
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nice pick. But what's the specific moment you're taking? Liston not answering the bell?

Yup - I'll clarify it in the main post if you prefer. I'm having an "editing" day anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #98
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll be ready once schmidty goes
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #99
Logan
Head Coach

I was thinking about how some moments would fit into certain categories, so I went and re-read the rules. I can't believe I missed this gem:

Quote:
More than a few people have had their drafts derailed by trying to get too clever. I know it's hard to Imagine, but it happens. You've been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
3.1 - Mark McGwire's 62nd Home Run in 1998(record breaking)

If not for steroids, I would have taken this with 1.1, I hope its not too big a risk pick now but I think its still worthy given what the moment was at the time. Home Run records are the greatest records in all of sport, and the assault on Roger Maris' 61 home run single season record by Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire was one of the most exciting things to happen to baseball in a long time. It helped to resurrect the game after the strike a few years before. The Maris family in attendance, St Louis vs Chicago, bitter division rivals plus Sosa/McGwire playing against each other, it was a hell of a moment.

This seems like as good a time as any to admit that I missed this live because I was rubbing one out to a very softcore Skinemax flick. True story. Good pick though.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #100
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Look at the Soccer Thread or MLS thread. There are FAR more people interested in soccer on these boards than you realize .

And it's quite famous for folks who aren't rabid soccer fans as well, but casually know about it.